#254588 05/23/14 12:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Been *dying* to post this chapter... devil

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana

Nice pun...

Together, they quickly filled in more answers, each of them acknowledging the other's correct answers with a verbal word of approval, a smile, or a kiss. They were nearing the end, with only seven clues that hadn't been solved, when Clark's next heart attack hit. Panicked, Lois hit the call button to summon help.

Dr. Klein must have been right in the vicinity. Like a ninja, he appeared seemingly out of thin air. He checked Clark's vitals and his face immediately fell. He reached out and smashed the palm of his hand against a small, square red button which was set into the wall, calling a code blue for cardiac arrest.

Yep, the tension is ramping up.

Everyone will be going "poor Clark" but when he goes Code Blue he is out of it, totally unconscious . I always am thinking of Lois as she stands there watching her husband dying and not being able to do anything about it. Always a person of action it will be killing her not being able to do anything about it.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Because you have a tender heart, Clark. Don't you see? I wouldn't have wanted you to do anything differently today.
Sweet and sad... Clark's heart is now 'tender' in other ways as well. sad

HERO REPORTER ASSISTS AT SCHOOL BUS CRASH; SUPERMAN STILL MYSERTIOUSLY ABSENT

And there, beneath the bold, black ink of the headline, pictures of Clark. In one, he was getting the emergency exit open - Clark knew it had been taken a heartbeat before the door had come off in his hands. In the next picture, Clark was emerging from the destroyed vehicle with a little girl cradled to his chest - the first of the children he'd gotten to safety. He groaned. He'd known, of course, that Jimmy had been at the scene, snapping away with his camera. But he hadn't wanted any kind of recognition for his efforts. Superman was the hero. Clark was the normal and completely unremarkable man.
If this had happened on a normal day, Clark would be freaking out, big time... But I suppose it isn't as important that Clark was caught being 'super,' all things considered.

He reached out and smashed the palm of his hand against a small, square red button which was set into the wall, calling a code blue for cardiac arrest.
Oh boy, here comes the worst, I think... peep

Obviously I want to know what happens, but at the same time, I'm so worried for Clark! Please be gentle... grovel

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Nice pun...

Together, they quickly filled in more answers, each of them acknowledging the other's correct answers with a verbal word of approval, a smile, or a kiss. They were nearing the end, with only seven clues that hadn't been solved, when Clark's next heart attack hit. Panicked, Lois hit the call button to summon help.

Dr. Klein must have been right in the vicinity. Like a ninja, he appeared seemingly out of thin air. He checked Clark's vitals and his face immediately fell. He reached out and smashed the palm of his hand against a small, square red button which was set into the wall, calling a code blue for cardiac arrest.

Yep, the tension is ramping up.

Everyone will be going "poor Clark" but when he goes Code Blue he is out of it, totally unconscious . I always am thinking of Lois as she stands there watching her husband dying and not being able to do anything about it. Always a person of action it will be killing her not being able to do anything about it.

Mike

Thank you! Yes, this is going to be harder on Lois than it is on Clark. (I'm an equal opportunity torturer.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by mozartmaid
Because you have a tender heart, Clark. Don't you see? I wouldn't have wanted you to do anything differently today.
Sweet and sad... Clark's heart is now 'tender' in other ways as well. sad

And there, beneath the bold, black ink of the headline, pictures of Clark. In one, he was getting the emergency exit open - Clark knew it had been taken a heartbeat before the door had come off in his hands. In the next picture, Clark was emerging from the destroyed vehicle with a little girl cradled to his chest - the first of the children he'd gotten to safety. He groaned. He'd known, of course, that Jimmy had been at the scene, snapping away with his camera. But he hadn't wanted any kind of recognition for his efforts. Superman was the hero. Clark was the normal and completely unremarkable man.
If this had happened on a normal day, Clark would be freaking out, big time... But I suppose it isn't as important that Clark was caught being 'super,' all things considered.

He reached out and smashed the palm of his hand against a small, square red button which was set into the wall, calling a code blue for cardiac arrest.
Oh boy, here comes the worst, I think... peep

Obviously I want to know what happens, but at the same time, I'm so worried for Clark! Please be gentle... grovel

wave

Yep. The worst is coming. More for Lois than Clark - as Mike said, he was unconscious when the code was called. This is going to torment Lois though.

Gentle? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that word, as a writer. grin

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
You. Are. EVIL! devil

This is not looking good for Clark. I agree with what others have said in FDK for earlier story parts about it being too obvious a choice for Clark being the one to die, but that isn't enough to alleviate my fears. If this was the heart attack to end all heart attacks, at least he and Lois had had some time together to get some measure of closure.

I like your accelerated posting schedule. Any idea when you'll be posting the next part?

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I'm enjoying this (I use the term lightly, poor Lois and Clark).

I did notice one mis-type though.

I think you meant "MYSTERIOUSLY"

Poor Clark. He shouldn't have been up at all at that end part. *on the edge of my seat*

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
You. Are. EVIL! devil

This is not looking good for Clark. I agree with what others have said in FDK for earlier story parts about it being too obvious a choice for Clark being the one to die, but that isn't enough to alleviate my fears. If this was the heart attack to end all heart attacks, at least he and Lois had had some time together to get some measure of closure.

I like your accelerated posting schedule. Any idea when you'll be posting the next part?

Joy,
Lynn

Why, thank you, Lynn! devil

I thought it might be fun to allow Lois and Clark a nice, quiet, tender moment before blindsiding them both with the next attack. And, of course, give Clark a chance to tell her some important things, and focus on his son a bit.

It's not really an accelerate schedule for posting. I was just itching to get this part posted (it and the next chapter are my favorite cliffies) and I wanted to maintain my Thurs/Fri and Sun/Mon schedule. So, look for a new part late Sunday or sometime on Monday.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Christina
I'm enjoying this (I use the term lightly, poor Lois and Clark).

I did notice one mis-type though.

I think you meant "MYSTERIOUSLY"

Poor Clark. He shouldn't have been up at all at that end part. *on the edge of my seat*

wave Thanks! Somehow, that typo escaped me (several times), my beta, and my spell check. Go figure!

Poor Clark indeed, but the next one was coming whether or not he was awake for it. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh my ....

Wait a second DC, you can't just leave us hanging like that! What on earth is happening in that hospital room.

YOU GOTTA POST QUICKER!!!!!! grovel

Last edited by Morgana; 05/23/14 12:33 PM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Morgana
Oh my ....

Wait a second DC, you can't just leave us hanging like that! What on earth is happening in that hospital room.

devil devil devil devil

You'll find out what's going on (via flashback) in the next chapter. In a few days. Because I torture everyone.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Oh my ....

devil devil devil devil

You'll find out what's going on (via flashback) in the next chapter. In a few days. Because I torture everyone.

Glad to hear about the flashback, I was wondering since Clark's heart issue seems to be virtually at the end as this chapter closes. I figured that Sam and Bernie would have some things to try but we have not gone the direction much at all.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh my ....

devil devil devil devil

Glad to hear about the flashback, I was wondering since Clark's heart issue seems to be virtually at the end as this chapter closes. I figured that Sam and Bernie would have some things to try but we have not gone the direction much at all.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

No problem. And no, the flashback is NOT from Clark's POV. It's from Lois'. In case anyone was wondering. evil

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
[
No problem. And no, the flashback is NOT from Clark's POV. It's from Lois'. In case anyone was wondering. evil

That probably would fit in the story as we have not heard much from Lois as to how she is handling this in the first 6 chapters. I was hoping for a flashback from Sam and Bernie's POV as they really are Clark's only hope for recovery unless we have some sort of a time machine intervention...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[

That probably would fit in the story as we have not heard much from Lois as to how she is handling this in the first 6 chapters. I was hoping for a flashback from Sam and Bernie's POV as they really are Clark's only hope for recovery unless we have some sort of a time machine intervention...

Mike

I thought about it, but I didn't want to take the focus off Lois and Clark. And I only switched to Lois' POV because, well, look at what I did to poor Clark. devilsplat

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
I thought about it, but I didn't want to take the focus off Lois and Clark. And I only switched to Lois' POV because, well, look at what I did to poor Clark. devilsplat

I understand but being a geek it would be fun for me to see what they were working on. Of course that stuff is much more detailed to write and requires quite a bit more research to make it believable so I understand.

As far as what you have done to Clark, this point was an eventuality that was destined to happen based on chapter 1, what happens next in the story timeline will be the really interesting and major WHAM part. I am just assuming the flashbacks are setup for that final part of the story.

So last night was your Friday update and we will get one Sunday/Monday? Don't worry about me, I have got a lot of reading to catch up on in the archive anyway smirk

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

I understand but being a geek it would be fun for me to see what they were working on. Of course that stuff is much more detailed to write and requires quite a bit more research to make it believable so I understand.

As far as what you have done to Clark, this point was an eventuality that was destined to happen based on chapter 1, what happens next in the story timeline will be the really interesting and major WHAM part. I am just assuming the flashbacks are setup for that final part of the story.

So last night was your Friday update and we will get one Sunday/Monday? Don't worry about me, I have got a lot of reading to catch up on in the archive anyway smirk

Mike

Thanks for understanding. I suppose I could have done just like an inner monologue with vague medical details, but, again, that would have shifted the focus. I totally get the geek aspect - I'm right there with you!

The flashbacks fill in (briefly) what happened after the code was called until about 2 hours later.

Sun/Mon is the next posting - stay tuned!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Another great chapter. I'm looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lady Loisette
Another great chapter. I'm looking forward to the next part.

Thank you! Soon, I promise! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I'm glad that Lois and Clark got some time together to talk. I wish that they had settled on a name for the baby, though. It's such a couple thing to do together, and I imagine that Lois would have a very hard time naming the baby by herself if Clark doesn't survive the story.

I'm glad that the next chapter was posted before I got around to reading this one. These cliffhangers are killing me! (er, or killing Clark, I suppose.)

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard