Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#254290 05/17/14 09:08 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A Year Without - TOC

Again, many thanks to my wonderful Beta, Lynn S.M. for tackling this epic without complaint. notworthy

In a way, this *might* be considered a response to Queen of Capes's May Bizarro Challenge. If you take into consideration that as a Bizarro response I should break the rules Queenie set out for us. laugh (I didn't break the first one though. Do I get points for that? [Linked Image] )

Feel free to disagree here!

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/17/14 09:11 PM. Reason: Added Link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
A Year Without - TOC

Again, many thanks to my wonderful Beta, Lynn S.M. for tackling this epic without complaint.
Happy to have helped. But "epic"? If it were one of my writings, it would be of relatively epic length, but for you, this is so short it barely qualifies as a vignette. Or were you using Bizarro-speak there? (Me find your use of "epic" so easy to understand, me head hurt. wink )

Let me say publicly what I mentioned in our private conversations... I'm impressed by how much your writing style has matured since you first started posting fanfic here. clap

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Again, many thanks to my wonderful Beta, Lynn S.M. for tackling this epic without complaint.
Happy to have helped. But "epic"? If it were one of my writings, it would be of relatively epic length, but for you, this is so short it barely qualifies as a vignette. Or were you using Bizarro-speak there? (Me find your use of "epic" so easy to understand, me head hurt. wink )

Let me say publicly what I mentioned in our private conversations... I'm impressed by how much your writing style has matured since you first started posting fanfic here. clap
rotflol Yes. Me talk Bizarro speak. smile (See why she's such a wonderful Beta.)

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Outstanding Vignette! I loved all the twists and especially this

A minute later, she opened the bathroom door. She had planned on leaning seductively against the doorjamb, but Clark wasn’t alone. He had his back towards her and turned at the sound of her exiting, revealing a petite mustached man contritely holding a bowler hat in his hands who stood on the other side of him.

“Oh, no!” Lois groaned. “You’ve got be kidding me!”
ending

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It felt good to have just Clark’s hand back in hers and not his whole entire four-inch tall body.

Yeah, that's a little awkward when that happens. *resists urge to make *other* four inch jokes*

“Not technically lawful, since the marriage was never consummated.”

Clark sure does have a couple of unconsummated marriages...

She recognized the determined expression on her fiancé’s face.

Clark! Don't you dare! Get back here this instant! wildguy

“Little woman!” Lois roared.

The DP's headline the following day: Reporter snaps, one dead.

The short magician grinned with glee.

Short? Mxy???

The con man looked at her with doubt. “Miss Lane, are you saying that even though you were engaged to the third richest man in the world, he didn’t name you in his will?” The man tsk-tsked.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

(I think there's a quote limit now? So I'll leave a part 2 below...)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“No, not really, but I won’t hold it against you if you want to give me some.”

clap rotflol

“Should I start with murder?”

See? *points to DP headline again*

Lois paced the section of the park where the man’s booth had been set up, checking for mirrors, trap doors, manholes covers to sewer lines, invisibility tarps, and anything else she could think of which might logically explain how everything, including the crowd of spectators it seemed, had vanished into thin air.

Time machine?

“No,” the woman replied, leaning forward to whisper, “Superman?”

*eyes narrow*

“Sarah,” the woman said, standing taller causing her shoulder length brown hair to brush her shoulders.

jawdrop

It would make more sense if this were April instead of July.

rotflol

(Onward to part 3!)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“This must be Nor’s doing.”

*Hands Lois some Advil*

“I’ve attempted to contact Kal-El telepathically to verify your claims. It seems you are correct. There is no trace of him on Earth. Now, I’m communicating with my lieutenant, a man named Ching, telling him to absolve my marriage to Kal-El,” Zara said, before opening her eyes. “Tell Kal-El when he returns that we’re sorry to have missed him. Should we find a way to defeat Nor without him, perhaps we shall revisit him under happier circumstances.” She made a strange gesture with her hand.

Huh. Well, that was easy.

Did Lois still have to change her personality to earn Clark back, when he was the two-timing schmuck who had been previously married without informing her?

rotflol

After Nor’s force took over Smallville and then Metropolis, the U.S. army tried to fight them with Bureau 39 leading the charge

Where are the Men in Black when you need 'em?

“Have you changed?” the man with the bullhorn asked the crowd.

Still trying to figure out if we know this guy from the show or not...

The muted colors became once more vibrant as a cool breeze filled her lungs with air. The city filled with noises: taxis honking, trucks backing up, kids playing, the flap of the flag above her head, and the chimes of an ice cream truck.

As Lois stumbled across the street, she felt a gentle hand rest on the small of her back for a moment, before moving to take hold of her hand.

Time travel? Please?

“Let’s elope!”

The promise of sex before dinner? Good distraction, Lois! clap

Back down in the park, the magician from another dimension, a fifth dimension in fact, waved his arms, causing all the people surrounding his faux stage disappear. He smiled. Everything was just as it was supposed to be. Wait two more months? Pshaw! Lois must have been out of her mind. He was so glad he was able to put her and Clark on the right course for them, for Metropolis, for the world, even.

The little man did a quick dance, jumped into the air, spun around, and disappeared with a slight pop.

Mxy's good twin?

“Ask me tomorrow,” she whispered. “It can wait.”

Yes. Yes it can. *points to the big bed*

A minute later, she opened the bathroom door. She had planned on leaning seductively against the doorjamb, but Clark wasn’t alone. He had his back towards her and turned at the sound of her exiting, revealing a petite mustached man contritely holding a bowler hat in his hands who stood on the other side of him.

clap rotflol

That was awesome! Great work! (Watch out though. I think Lois may want to kill you.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Top Banana
Top Banana
I was having trouble with the Lois changing her stripes bit and it took me thinking for 20-30 minutes before it hit me (don't blame me, my brain is mush after looking at nearly 1000 TOCs this week). The change was the willingness to elope and get the marriage going without any further interruptions.

Obviously some reference to the 5th dimension so maybe as DC says "Mxy's good twin".

I agree with DC, you don't want to meet Lois in a dark alley anytime soon...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I'm certain it's Mxy himself. In the Post-Crisis he's one of their greatest cheerleaders, even giving them a chance to experience what it could be like to have their own children. During the broken-up time before their wedding he came and pitched a minor fit (nothing was altered, not even opinions) over the fact they weren't together anymore. He also was among the well-wishers in the Wedding Album (if I remember correctly).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awesome, Virginia! Loved it clap clap clap

You really kept me on my toes reading this, guessing and trying to figure out how it would end--right up to the last scene. Really creative story idea notworthy. What a year for Lois there...

But now...woo-hoo! They are finally, officially, definitely married party.

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Completely loved it.

I didn't get what Lois was supposed to be changing until the end. She needed to change her mind about eloping!

I also didn't get that it was Mxy till you mentioned imp and other dimension. As with a few other comments I think it's the real Mxy (possibly from 'after' TNBM in his timeline?). Christina said it herself ... in the 90s Mxy loved to 'tease' Superman, but it was only ever for fun, and he actually was a fan of Superman and an even bigger fan of Clark/Lois. These days he'd have been called a 'shipper'. (I know the word has a different meaning on these boards, but he's a Clois shipper).

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Top Banana
Top Banana
Did Lois still have to change her personality to earn Clark back, when he was the two-timing schmuck who had been previously married without informing her?
Good point, Lois. wink

Even if Clark somehow reappeared, Metropolis was so full of Kryptonite dust from the final battle, it would make it inhospitable for him to live here.
Oh no...

Back down in the park, the magician from another dimension, a fifth dimension in fact, waved his arms, causing all the people surrounding his faux stage disappear. He smiled. Everything was just as it was supposed to be. Wait two more months? Pshaw! Lois must have been out of her mind. He was so glad he was able to put her and Clark on the right course for them, for Metropolis, for the world, even.

The little man did a quick dance, jumped into the air, spun around, and disappeared with a slight pop.
Who is the magician? Mxy? And I agree -- Lois MUST have been out of her mind to wait two months after everything they went through! wink

Clark looked dashing in his charcoal grey suit and avant-garde tie done in Jackson Pollock style in Superman’s primary colors.
I think I like this look. cool

He had his back towards her and turned at the sound of her exiting, revealing a petite mustached man contritely holding a bowler hat in his hands who stood on the other side of him.

Indeed! Poor Lois! (and Clark!) rotflol

Clever little story Virginia! Well done! clap

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I didn't realize where you were going until near the end. Nicely done, and a funny payoff!

Presumably H.G. is there because of the curse, but it doesn't make the interruption any more welcome. smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper Oooooh. Look at all the shiny, pretty, FDK. smile1

Mike M: Thank you for taking time out of cleaning up the boards to pop in and comment on my little story. smile

Outstanding Vignette! I loved all the twists and especially this /hilarious/ ending.
Why thank you, Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was having trouble with the Lois changing her stripes bit and it took me thinking for 20-30 minutes before it hit me (don't blame me, my brain is mush after looking at nearly 1000 TOCs this week). The change was the willingness to elope and get the marriage going without any further interruptions.
Yep. That was the change Mxy was looking for.

Obviously some reference to the 5th dimension so maybe as DC says "Mxy's good twin".
As Christina said, this is more the comics pre-wedding version of Mxy who was a huge cheerleader for Lois and Clark's relationship, not that they could really tell by his actions.

I agree with DC, you don't want to meet Lois in a dark alley anytime soon...
peep Oh, dear. She's already got a contract out on me for what I'm doing to her and Clark over in Wrong Clark.

Christina: Thanks for reading.

I'm certain it's Mxy himself. In the Post-Crisis he's one of their greatest cheerleaders, even giving them a chance to experience what it could be like to have their own children. During the broken-up time before their wedding he came and pitched a minor fit (nothing was altered, not even opinions) over the fact they weren't together anymore. He also was among the well-wishers in the Wedding Album (if I remember correctly).
That's the fellow. And, yes, he did... he pretended to be an all-knowing Jimmy, and ragging on Clark for not telling Lois about the loss of his powers.

Laura (LMA): Thanks for all the gushing. smile1

Awesome, Virginia! Loved it
Why, thank you. [Linked Image]

You really kept me on my toes reading this, guessing and trying to figure out how it would end--right up to the last scene. Really creative story idea notworthy. What a year for Lois there...
Yes, and now she's stuck going through a Soul Mates honeymoon arc. peep

But now...woo-hoo! They are finally, officially, definitely married
Well, technically, they still haven't consummated it... [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So, wait--Mxyzptlk is actually a good(ish) guy in this???

Brava, Virginia! Let's see; it isn't season 4+, but it's close enough that it works anyway. And hey, they get married in the end, so what more could we want? Mega kudos, btw, for getting rid of the NK arc. laugh

Last edited by Queen of the Capes; 05/18/14 07:27 PM.

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deadly Chakram: A three-part FDK?! thud Did two little someones give you the morning off? Thank you.

Yeah, that's a little awkward when that happens. *resists urge to make *other* four inch jokes*
[Linked Image] You know I didn't think of that until you mentioned it.

Clark sure does have a couple of unconsummated marriages...
It's the one he does consummate which counts.

Clark! Don't you dare! Get back here this instant!
smile Someone's channeling Lois.

The DP's headline the following day: Reporter snaps, one dead.
See? *points to DP headline again*
That's the one. clap Oh. You read ahead.

Short? Mxy???
Perhaaaaaaps.

(I think there's a quote limit now? So I'll leave a part 2 below...)
That's the rumor. It's definitely true about the smilie limit though.

Time machine?
Nope.

*Hands Lois some Advil*
LOIS: /gracefully accepts, wishing it would last longer/

Huh. Well, that was easy.
Well, if Kal-El can be easily defeated by some street magician, he definitely won't hold his own against Nor.

Where are the Men in Black when you need 'em?
Um... another dimension?

Still trying to figure out if we know this guy from the show or not...
Kind of. He was *in* the show, but this is more the happy-go-lucky version from the comics, who annoys Lois and Clark in multiple attempts to get them hitched.

Time travel? Please?
End of 5th dimension fantasyland?

The promise of sex before dinner? Good distraction, Lois!
LOL.

CLARK: [Linked Image]

Mxy's good twin?
The one from L&C canon was more depressing than the Mxy I'm channeling here, but the same guy.

Yes. Yes it can. *points to the big bed*
Exactly.

That was awesome! Great work!
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

(Watch out though. I think Lois may want to kill you.)
shock er... was that the washing machine calling me? [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
More FDK! [Linked Image]

KatherineKent: wave

Completely loved it.
hyper Always good to hear. Thank you.

I didn't get what Lois was supposed to be changing until the end. She needed to change her mind about eloping!
That's the one.

I also didn't get that it was Mxy till you mentioned imp and other dimension. As with a few other comments I think it's the real Mxy (possibly from 'after' TNBM in his timeline?). Christina said it herself ... in the 90s Mxy loved to 'tease' Superman, but it was only ever for fun, and he actually was a fan of Superman and an even bigger fan of Clark/Lois. These days he'd have been called a 'shipper'. (I know the word has a different meaning on these boards, but he's a Clois shipper).
I'm not familiar with the "shipper" term and I'm guessing you're using the Smallville "Chois" to represent a joining of Lois and Clark, not Cloned Lois from the ARGH arc. Yes, I like the playful Mxy who is having fun at Lois and Clark's expense, yet is actually rooting for them. He's more fun.

mozartmaid: Thanks for stopping by to read and comment.

Good point, Lois.
Well, if she hadn't insisted on going through with another big wedding...

Oh no...
evil Don't worry. I put my 5th dimensional cookies back.

Who is the magician? Mxy?
Yes, that was Mxy.

And I agree -- Lois MUST have been out of her mind to wait two months after everything they went through!
According to John, the end of the ARGH arc happens in July. They don't get married until October 6th and they had been planning another foo-foo wedding per what Ellen did originally, before the Wedding Destroyer comes along and ruined everything. huh I don't understand it either. /and Neither did Mxy, apparently./

Originally Posted by MozartMaid
Originally Posted by AYW
Clark looked dashing in his charcoal grey suit and avant-garde tie done in Jackson Pollock style in Superman’s primary colors.
I think I like this look.
That was my thoughts exactly. drool

Clever little story Virginia! Well done!
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

DebbieG: Thank you for reading and commenting.

I didn't realize where you were going until near the end. Nicely done, and a funny payoff!
Thank you.

Presumably H.G. is there because of the curse, but it doesn't make the interruption any more welcome.
Yes, that's why he was there, and no he certainly isn't welcome. lol

Queen of the Capes: Thanks for popping in, Challenge buddy.

So, wait--Mxyzptlk is actually a good(ish) guy in this???
He is sometimes in the comics. Maybe he would have been again in LnC, if given the chance. Maybe he's the one who gave Lois and Clark the baby at the S4 finale? peep

Brava, Virginia! Let's see; it isn't season 4+, but it's close enough that it works anyway. And hey, they get married in the end, so what more could we want? Mega kudos, btw, for getting rid of the NK arc. laugh
I also broke the rule where the invaders couldn't be the New Kryptonians, but I guess I was forgiven for getting rid of the arc entirely (or heading it off in another direction). smile1 I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Many thanks to everyone who read and commented!

VirginiaR.
---
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nice little shorty here! Agreed, Lois and Clark were CRAZY for waiting as long as they did.

So of course, my brain just zipped around to come up with a reason for it, and started positing all sorts of legal red tape they had to go through because of the original marriage certificate signed by the clone (Clark is legally married to the clone, but even though she's dead, there's no death certificate because she didn't have a legal identity, so he's still registered as married, and trying again to marry Lois would be bigamy.... GAH!!!! Somebody stop me, quick!!!)

I thought it might be Mxy when you mentioned the 5th dimension just before the epilogue.

My one complaint is the quick passing reference to Nor's invasion - I want to see more of that!!!! Sounds like an extremely dark future you've come up with there. I know, I know, that wasn't the point of the story, but first Nor coming in without a Superman to challenge him, and then Bureau 39 taking over the country?! Yikes!

Okay, enough procrastinating, I really need to get back to studying for exam, so that I can pass it on Tuesday and get back to work on my own writing. wink

Top Banana
Top Banana
hyper Oooooh. Look at all the shiny, pretty, FDK. smile1

Mike M: Thank you for taking time out of cleaning up the boards to pop in and comment on my little story. smile

Outstanding Vignette! I loved all the twists and especially this /hilarious/ ending.
Why thank you, Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Virginia,

FYI, LabRat has declared victory in our TOC wars, I had no idea as I was just plowing through the TOCs. We believe we have almost all of them cleared up dance. If you need some help with yours let me know and I can/will help. I know you have a heap of TOCs to work through. Labby and I have gotten all of Nan's url to link conversions done which was a pretty big job so if you need help strike while my TOC Cleanup Ninja skills are still pretty sharp.

I am now finally able to get back to reading and I found a huge number of stories while working on the TOCs that I want to read... hyper

Anyway if you need any help just holler.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
FYI, LabRat has declared victory in our TOC wars, I had no idea as I was just plowing through the TOCs. We believe we have almost all of them cleared up dance.
Congratulations! notworthy

If you need some help with yours let me know and I can/will help. I know you have a heap of TOCs to work through. Labby and I have gotten all of Nan's url to link conversions done which was a pretty big job so if you need help strike while my TOC Cleanup Ninja skills are still pretty sharp.
Thanks for the offer. I completed my TOC clean-up (at least Gfic wise; there's only like 4 Nfic stories, I think.) and am currently working on fixing the links within the Parts and FDK-Threads. I'm almost done with Wrong Clark. hyper Leaving only Missing Lois, Green-Eyed Monster, and Nightfall Honeymoon. [Linked Image] Thankfully, all three of those on are the Archives (and much better because of some awesome G.E. work by Marcelle), so I don't feel the need to rush on those.

As my quote from Jor-El says, "On the long road, take small steps." And, yes, I have it there to remind me that a story isn't about the end goal but about journey to the end goal. With long projects such as this, it reminds me to take my time and do it thoroughly and someday I'll reach my goal. A wise man Jor-El. (And, yes, that is the only time you'll *ever* hear me say/write that, because 99% of the time I hate him as a character, mostly outside of LnC canon.)

I am now finally able to get back to reading and I found a huge number of stories while working on the TOCs that I want to read... hyper
Well, if you fall into the ether, at least we'll know where to find you... Metropolis.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard