F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Wonderful, delightful, well done.

Framework4
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very realistic! clap Lois is at a place in her life, where she has the luxury for a bit of romance (as long as it doesn't interfere with her exchange trip and internship). Sadly, Clark is not.

She couldn’t face her father after the thoughts she’d been having about the boy sitting in the seat next to her.
Yeah. There's a big difference between him bringing home a floozy of the week and Lois bringing home a boy to study (like Sam would ever buy that). It's good that Sam wasn't home.

Did Clark expect something from her? Did he expect more than she was willing to give? Although she was coming to trust him, what did she really know about him personally?
This says a lot about the exposure she'd had to other boys. They expect something in return for their kindness. sad Luckily, Clark is more scared of her (of what he could accidentally do to her) than she is of him, so she has nothing to worry about from him.

The fact that she’d even fleetingly thought about dropping the story to protect Clark shocked and worried her. If anyone could protect himself it was Clark. It wasn’t like he had a reputation or friends to lose at school. He seemed to have a vibrant life outside of school, but saw school as a means to an end.
Hold on. What story was that? Her story about Clark? There was a lot such a story could do to ruin Clark's life. mecry I can't see why she would drop the footballer story, though.

What worried her more were the posters on her wall; Harrison Ford from Star Wars, Billie Joel, Rick Springfield. Compared to what her friends had on their walls these were conservative. The Close Encounters and E.T. posters didn’t help matters any. At least he couldn’t fault her Einstein poster, or her Life Magazine poster with Neil Armstrong on the moon.
I can only imagine what Clark thought when seeing her being a scifi fan. Star Wars, Close Encounters, E.T., Neil Armstrong on the moon. /BTW: Billy spells his name with a Y./ Sounds like what my room looked like in the 80s (minus the E.T., though). smile

Lois headed for her desk. She noticed that Clark left the door behind him open and she felt a little better.
Of course he did. Between Martha teaching him what was right and being a foster kid, he knows that closed doors aren't good. Plus, he's probably read enough Jane Austin to know that it isn't proper for a young man to visit a girl alone without keeping the door open.

The other side was conspicuously empty. She’d been keeping her notes on the high school football scandal there, but she’d pulled them down when she was cleaning her room. There wasn’t any point in letting Clark know anything that was going to end up hurting him.
Why would the football scandal hurt Clark? Other than the footballers giving him hell for befriending Lois over it? It won't be as if HE could be blamed for her article. I mean, Tom Church probably would anyway, but he's innocent. Oh, right, that means nothing in the high school rumor mill.

The project seemed to flash by; they’d already done the research and all that was left was putting it together. Lois tended to want to focus on the facts, while Clark wanted to focus on the human aspect of things. Together, Lois could see that what they were writing was better than what either one of them could have accomplished on their own.
Too bad it couldn't be a joint internship at the Planet. I'd love to have her somehow get Clark involved in her football investigation, especially if he was going to end up with the brunt of the backlash, with her her in Ireland.

Finally, they finished, and Lois began the laborious process of printing what they had. She’d had to open six files, as none of them could be larger than three pages, and printing was a somewhat tricky process. If the printer was off by even a little she’d have to reprint it again, and Lois sometimes thought she could type as fast as the printer printed.
ARGH! wallbash Dot Matrix flashbacks! EEK!

“Clark,” she said, and she put her hand on his chest.

He froze, looking down at her hand. “Uh….” He looked around the room quickly, almost as though he was looking for a way out. He finally settled on her posters. “I liked E.T.”

Notably, he didn’t step away, but Lois could see that he was visibly uncomfortable. Although she wasn’t an expert, it looked like he was as torn as she was.
Nah. Probably more so. It was also most likely the first time anyone he's liked has ever touched him in a tender way. I imagine he'll be re-playing every moment of the day with Lois over in his mind should he ever get a moment to sleep.

“Maybe you can show me sometime,” Lois said. Her voice had grown husky, and she stepped toward him.

For the first time he stepped toward her. “Lois,” he began.

A moment later he stopped, his head snapping around. “Someone just pulled up around the back.”
Dad interruptus right on time. Good thing he didn't arrive five minutes later or Clark might have been distracted enough not to have heard him.

Even without Super hearing, I bet Clark would have been listening for her dad to come home. He's probably been on edge since walking into the house. The last thing he'd want is a run in with her father, who could easily have him fired from his delivery job... without provocation just because. "I found *your* courier inside *my* house with *my* daughter!"

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, the computers and printers of today are so much more user friendly than before. It's like... we're in the future or something!

I loved the bits about their opposing worldviews - Lois the cynic, Clark the idealist. You can see the proto-Superman in him.

Sort of an embryonic flirtation here - but I like how you left things vague and unsettled between them. We know each is attracted to the other, but right now, romance is verboten.

Looking forward to more!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay, I was really looking forward to this part. It's great to see how well they work together already. Hopefully they'll get to do a lot more of it. smile1

“My parents were farmers,” Clark said. “Metropolis will probably have flying cars before Smallville gets computers.”
Is that a city-boy attitude I'm hearing from Clark?! lol

Lois's back and forth in her head about whether bringing Clark into the house is done very well. It's very obvious that she's having trouble squaring her instincts with her defenses.

Loved the description of how her room is decorated. It sounds very "Lois."

Interesting discussion about E.T. and alien movies in general. I've seen E.T. used in fanfic before as something that gave Clark nightmares (the invasion of the house by government types IS pretty scary!) but on the other hand, this version of Clark has already been through a lot worse and is already familiar with the harsh realities of the bureaucracy, so maybe he was better able to find the redeeming qualities in there.

“The flying,” Lois said. “I loved the flying.”
Oh, Lois! Of course you did.

“It was the first movie I’d ever seen where the aliens weren’t out to enslave everyone, or abduct them,” Clark said. “If a species is advanced enough to come all the way here, surely they’d be…better than mindless monsters.”

“It’d be nice to think that,” Lois said. “But I don’t see why aliens would be any better than people. There would probably be good ones and bad ones and there would probably be politics. Considering how people are…”

Now Clark did step back from her. “I think you’re selling people short. There’s a lot of good in people. You just have to give them a chance to show it.”

Really excellent here. However, I don't see why Clark would have reacted so negatively to Lois's comment. It's actually pretty balanced. She's not painting ALL people as bad, but acknowledging there's a mix. Unless he's reading it as "no better than people = mindless monsters" in reference to his earlier statement.

I liked how Clark described the little acts of kindness he sees, though. You're certainly highlighting nicely the different approaches they take. Lois is very focused on the facts, the thread, how the pieces all fit together, but she tends to see the people either as puzzle pieces to fit in with the facts, or as threats. Clark, on the other hand, watches what the people are doing, finds their motivations, their hopes and fears, and sees the facts as effects of that. Very cool. clap

Probably a good thing Sam came home when he did, they're both too conflicted to really feel good about anything more developing today. Though *grrr* at the floozie of the week! I'll never understand how parents can parade people in front of their children like that.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I liked the way Lois and Clark worked together on the project. Looking forward to the next part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm pleased with the responses I've gotten, especially about Lois's room. I had to work hard on it, considering that I've never been a teenage girl. I had some help from the folcs on mIrc on what to expect in a girl's room from the eighties.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What would a teenage guy in the '80's have in his room?

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard