#253991 05/12/14 12:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
peep <Checks for rotten fruit, angry mobs, and guys in black SUVs> peep

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
hyper peep evil

Ooh, this is getting good! I'm loving it so far! Can't wait for more! I never considered an x-ray not being enough for Clark, because of his high density, a very good point. laugh Also, it goes against everything in me but I love the cliffhanger note you left it on. Clark could DIE!!!

P.S. Some of the SUV guys are mine, but they're there to protect you and possibly... persuade you to post the next chapter as soon as possible. Use them with caution. wink

Last edited by Mouserocks; 05/12/14 03:34 AM.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
DC,

I guess a tomato or two...

Not sure I am buying this one. Curious as to how you will explain that his aura is intact because he was still invulnerable, with the aura he should spontaneously heal (he has every other time).

Minor confusing issue that Bernie still does not know that Superman and Clark are one in the same. Lois is right at her 3rd Trimester (knowing the sex of the baby) and he has not been brought into the loop yet.

Waiting on how you get Clark a transplant as the only way would be to expose him for a period of time to Kryptonite and that would greatly elevate his BP and heart rate (at least it has every other time he has been exposed) and how would his severely damaged heart handle that.

Can't wait until the next chapter.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Despite my normally not liking death fics, I decided to give this one a try. I am enjoying it so far.

So... Assuming that Clark can get a heart transplant, who will the donor be? I am assuming that a newborn infant's heart would be too small to transplant successfully into a grown adult's body, so I think the baby is probably safe. (Safe from the author, that is; by this I mean that DC won't have the baby dying of natural causes shortly after birth and having his heart put into Clark's body.) Normally I would say that Kryptonians and humans are probably too different for Clark to receive a human heart, but given that they are compatible for reproduction in this story, such a transplant might be possible. If it is, then the donor could be just about anyone in canon or original to Deadly Chakram. (Of course, if DC wished to be truly evil, she could arrange a series of circumstances in which the donor turned out to be Lex. Or even Tempus; now that might be a bit of irony Tempus wouldn't like.) But if such a cross-species transplant isn't possible, then the only people who could donate a heart to Clark would be other Kryptonians. Ching? Zara?

Hmmm... Thinking some more about Tempus, perhaps some time travel will be involved; maybe the baby will grow to adulthood and when he dies, Wells will transport his heart back in time. There are so many possibilities!

Of course, Deadly Chakram might be playing mind games with us all, and Clark might actually die in this story. (Please, no. grovel)

Joy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 05/12/14 10:42 AM.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Despite my normally not liking death fics, I decided to give this one a try. I am enjoying it so far.

Lynn,

I am not normally a fan of death fics either but DC is one of my favorite authors and she did say (in the first FDK) that this one is "But I wanted to keep it on the "realer" end of dark." but who knows what that means...

Only time and posting schedules will tell. But I agree with you about the donor. Heart transplants aren't like bone marrow transplants (think "Gift for Life" by SDQ and Jenni Debbage) for the child to be the donor he would have to die. I guess that would be one way to not put a toy back in the box...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Evil! I can't wait to see where you go with this.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Of course, Deadly Chakram might be playing mind games with us all, and Clark might actually die in this story. (Please, no. grovel)

Joy,
Lynn

Lynn,

While have no real problem with Clark dying in general. I guess how it will impact Lois and the child is what bothers me and might make me not like the entire story. I really liked the way Lady Loisette handled Lois's death in "Love's Enduring Power" and the gift Lois left for Clark and his dealing with it made me really like the story. Again, as I said I really don't normally like death fics but am trying this one anyway. After all I normally like DC's work and I took a shot on Lady Loisette's effort and liked it. However I don't ever expect a death fic to be in one of my top 10 fics...

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/12/14 11:46 AM.

Jeremy Bentham

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally Posted by Mike M
Minor confusing issue that Bernie still does not know that Superman and Clark are one in the same. Lois is right at her 3rd Trimester (knowing the sex of the baby) and he has not been brought into the loop yet.
You can find out the sex of a baby as early as 16 weeks by ultrasound. That's early in the second trimester. I was also a bit surprised that they hadn't been seeing Bernie, but maybe they decided that they'd only go to him if the ultrasound or other tests showed abnormalities.

Waiting on how you get Clark a transplant as the only way would be to expose him for a period of time to Kryptonite and that would greatly elevate his BP and heart rate (at least it has every other time he has been exposed) and how would his severely damaged heart handle that.
I don't think it was used in the show, and is therefore never (or rarely?) brought up in L&C fics, but red sun spectrum lights will take away Clark's powers without hurting him. He just reverts to what's normal on Krypton. I imagine that Clark wouldn't figure that out until Zara & co. show up and comment on the different color sun, but we're way past that point now. But I expect that if they knew about red sunlight's effects in the story, they would have used it when Bernie took Superman's blood.

I haven't decided whether Clark's going to die or whether DC's pulling a bait-and-switch on us. Maybe Clark ends up fine and Lois dies in childbirth? Or they lose the baby? Lois is accidentally exposed to the kryptonite that they're using to make Clark vulnerable enough to operate on?

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Top Banana
Top Banana
"Remember last year?" he finally asked. "Remember how I had to...give up...some of my life-force to save Jimmy?"

"Of course. I was terrified, seeing that machine suck away...whatever it was...years of your life, your life-force, however you want to word it."

"And then, about a month later?"

"Deathstroke," she immediately replied.

He nodded in affirmation. "Deathstroke."

"What does...?"

He cut her off before she could ask the question. "Dr. Klein has a theory. He thinks that those two events, especially so close together, put a strain on my body. Well, more of a strain than he suspected at the time. That strain, he believes, weakened my heart."
Aha! I KNEW his battle with Deathstroke was the culprit -- at least partly.

"Unless I receive a heart transplant, I'll die."
thud Oh no... Who can give Superman a heart transplant? I just hope he doesn't die... I know you warned us, but, oh man... OK, let me think of a way out of this... my best hope would be a clone of Clark, like in Vatman -- even though, technically, a Clark/Superman would have to die. smirk Even worse, yet possibly more viable, would be an alt-Clark...sacrificing himself because he can't find his Lois and has no will to live... mecry OK, I really hope it doesn't go that dark...

And I really hope there's some light at the end of this seemingly dark, dark tunnel...

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
You can find out the sex of a baby as early as 16 weeks by ultrasound. That's early in the second trimester. I was also a bit surprised that they hadn't been seeing Bernie, but maybe they decided that they'd only go to him if the ultrasound or other tests showed abnormalities.

I don't think it was used in the show, and is therefore never (or rarely?) brought up in L&C fics, but red sun spectrum lights will take away Clark's powers without hurting him. He just reverts to what's normal on Krypton. I imagine that Clark wouldn't figure that out until Zara & co. show up and comment on the different color sun, but we're way past that point now. But I expect that if they knew about red sunlight's effects in the story, they would have used it when Bernie took Superman's blood.

I haven't decided whether Clark's going to die or whether DC's pulling a bait-and-switch on us. Maybe Clark ends up fine and Lois dies in childbirth? Or they lose the baby? Lois is accidentally exposed to the kryptonite that they're using to make Clark vulnerable enough to operate on?

I am sorry I mis-typed, I meant the end of the 1st Trimester (too many threes in there)

I had not heard of the Red light concept before...

As I said as long as it ends on a reasonably decent up note I can take death fics but some just end on such a downer that I just put them away to never be thought of again. I always look at this stuff as entertainment and most downer topics just don't entertain me. I don't mind angst as a way to make the characters work for the goal but angst for angst sake really isn't my cup of tea.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/12/14 02:01 PM.

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooh, things are getting interesting. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Eek--yikes--uh oh! Why do I get the feeling that Clark is heading to the pine box? Oh yeah, I remember...a heart transplant?! shock thud Our poor, poor Clark. mecry.

I didn't see a heart transplant coming. I didn't think of the BY or B&C&C&L concepts, either. Really curious as to what is going to happen.

I haven't read a lot of WHAM/death fics--but not because I don't like them. I think I'm mostly just drawn more towards the 'happy ever after' ending type of stories for Lois and Clark, since they are my favorite 'couple'--with admittedly, any type of obstacle thrown into the storyline to get to that ending. Movies though--and other books (which are something I haven't read any at all of since finding L&C fanfiction whistle ) that end on a really sad note sometimes I really do end up liking...every once in a while a good cry is kind of needed, I guess, and does feel great.

I'm not hiding any fruit/etc behind my back--yet evil....we'll see wink.

So far I'm thinking that: Clark is the most likely one NOT to make it out of this story, but I'm having thoughts of Lois and/or the baby, also. And, unless there is some horrible accident type of thing and whoever that random character is that DC creates dies so that Clark can end up with his heart (?), I'm not sure where the 'spare' heart is going to come from. I dunno? You have me stumped, DC dizzy.

I've kind of gone the time travel route with my thoughts, too--a grown up child of theirs dies? A former Clark--like in Soul Mates?

Something happens to give Clark 'more' life and reverse the BY life sucking after-effects--therefore eliminating the need to replace his heart? But then you have an empty pine box--you haven't eliminated anyone.

Yeah, you just need to post soon grovel hail...I've got nothing smile.

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/12/14 05:11 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by LMA
Eek--yikes--uh oh! Why do I get the feeling that Clark is heading to the pine box? Oh yeah, I remember...a heart transplant?! shock thud Our poor, poor Clark. mecry.

I didn't see a heart transplant coming. I didn't think of the BY or B&C&C&L concepts, either. Really curious as to what is going to happen.

I haven't read a lot of WHAM/death fics--but not because I don't like them. I think I'm mostly just drawn more towards the 'happy ever after' ending type of stories for Lois and Clark, since they are my favorite 'couple'--with admittedly, any type of obstacle thrown into the storyline to get to that ending. Movies though--and other books (which are something I haven't read any at all of since finding L&C fanfiction whistle ) that end on a really sad note sometimes I really do end up liking...every once in a while a good cry is kind of needed, I guess, and does feel great.

I'm not hiding any fruit/etc behind my back--yet evil....we'll see wink.

So far I'm thinking that: Clark is the most likely one NOT to make it out of this story, but I'm having thoughts of Lois and/or the baby, also. And, unless there is some horrible accident type of thing and whoever that random character is that DC creates dies so that Clark can end up with his heart (?), I'm not sure where the 'spare' heart is going to come from. I dunno? You have me stumped, DC dizzy.

I've kind of gone the time travel route with my thoughts, too--a grown up child of theirs dies? A former Clark--like in Soul Mates?

Something happens to give Clark 'more' life and reverse the BY life sucking after-effects--therefore eliminating the need to replace his heart? But then you have an empty pine box--you haven't eliminated anyone.

Yeah, you just need to post soon grovel hail...I've got nothing smile.

Laura

I have more faith in DC to not follow the obvious route. I mean it would be kind of a straight forward fic if Clark has heart problems, Klein says he needs a transplant, they try the transplant, it doesn't work, he dies. No twists and I suspect DC has some twists up her sleeve (or hidden somewhere anyway). I put forth a possibility in the first FDK that could still happen but only 8 more parts to find out. I doubt we will really know until part 9 or 10 does kind of build up the edge doesn't it?

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by LMA
Something happens to give Clark 'more' life and reverse the BY life sucking after-effects--therefore eliminating the need to replace his heart?
Unless, of course, something like the BY machine is somehow used again and it sucks the life out of someone else to rejuvenate Clark. Of course, Clark would never willingly go along with that, but if he had been rendered unconscious before it happened, could you imagine the guilt he would feel knowing that he were alive only because someone -- presumably unwillingly, at that -- gave their life for him? shock

DC, this is definitely the mark of a good story -- you have us all speculating on what will happen, and coming up with lots of different possibilities.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
True--good points, Mike and Lynn...

I'm sure there will be twists and turns--and we won't even begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel until towards the very end with this story. I really like all the guessing involved--she's got us hooked dance.

And I completely agree--if someone were to get injured to save Clark, he wouldn't/couldn't live with that knowledge. Not sure where you'd go from there story-wise if Clark were to find out that info...

Only way to answer all of these questions? DC--please...Post, Post, Post! clap

Last edited by LMA; 05/12/14 08:49 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
help Poor Clark!

Where on Earth is Bernie going to find a new heart for Clark? Somehow I cannot imagine anybody from New Krypton stepping up to the task.

Actually, DC makes a very good case considering Clark gave Jimmy some of his life force and then turned around and battled Deathstroke. Now I am anxious to know what happens next!

Please DC, don't make us wait too long! grovel

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Mouse! Is school done?

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
hyper peep evil

Ooh, this is getting good! I'm loving it so far! Can't wait for more! I never considered an x-ray not being enough for Clark, because of his high density, a very good point. laugh Also, it goes against everything in me but I love the cliffhanger note you left it on. Clark could DIE!!!

P.S. Some of the SUV guys are mine, but they're there to protect you and possibly... persuade you to post the next chapter as soon as possible. Use them with caution. wink

rotflol I'm going to *attempt* to do a Mon/Fri schedule, assuming the girls give me enough time to prep and polish things, and finagle with the ending of it - I'm not quite there, just looking for the perfect moment to end it on (I already have the gist of it in mind, and mostly written).

So...I'll use the SUV guys as bodyguards.

Glad you enjoyed the cliffie! laugh I do try! (And I have even better ones coming!)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
DC,

I guess a tomato or two...

Not sure I am buying this one. Curious as to how you will explain that his aura is intact because he was still invulnerable, with the aura he should spontaneously heal (he has every other time).

Can't wait until the next chapter.

Mike

Hi, Mike!

Well, maybe I didn't make it clear enough (possibly something to change in archive prepping) that it was like - the damage was done but never really healed because of the continued stresses of his super abilities.

I do address Bernie - no worries!

I've worked around the elevated BP/heart rate thing in an evil way. Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

So... Assuming that Clark can get a heart transplant, who will the donor be? I am assuming that a newborn infant's heart would be too small to transplant successfully into a grown adult's body, so I think the baby is probably safe. (Safe from the author, that is; by this I mean that DC won't have the baby dying of natural causes shortly after birth and having his heart put into Clark's body.) Normally I would say that Kryptonians and humans are probably too different for Clark to receive a human heart, but given that they are compatible for reproduction in this story, such a transplant might be possible. If it is, then the donor could be just about anyone in canon or original to Deadly Chakram. (Of course, if DC wished to be truly evil, she could arrange a series of circumstances in which the donor turned out to be Lex. Or even Tempus; now that might be a bit of irony Tempus wouldn't like.) But if such a cross-species transplant isn't possible, then the only people who could donate a heart to Clark would be other Kryptonians. Ching? Zara?

Hmmm... Thinking some more about Tempus, perhaps some time travel will be involved; maybe the baby will grow to adulthood and when he dies, Wells will transport his heart back in time. There are so many possibilities!

Joy,
Lynn

The baby is safe. I wouldn't kill a newborn to give Clark a heart. I'm not quite that evil. (I think.)

No time travel for this one. It's slightly more grounded in reality than that.

Thanks for taking a gamble on this story. I do appreciate it! wave

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard