Rick Flagg knew they were patriots – whether or not the US government acknowledged that.

The vigilantes were heroes in their minds, and they knew the VRA had to be stopped.

But it would be difficult reaching its biggest supporter – General Sam Lane. Could they attack him on base? Only if they got a long-range missile. Good thing they had a man on the inside.

General Sam Lane had to be stopped.

~L&C~

Clark decided he needed to do some local recon before heading to Alaska… Lois hadn’t filled him in on how her meeting with Slade had gone, but Clark was beyond curious – he was worried. How much did the government know about him and his son? He needed to know what they might be walking into. Clark was pretty sure he could sneak onto the base without being detected, and he had lots of time before he had to meet the guys in Alaska.

If Slade Wilson was indeed the one who had his son, Clark needed every possible advantage. His greatest fear was that they had discovered how meteor rocks affected him. He would be of no use to his son whatsoever if he walked into a green kryptonite trap…

Clark knew General Wilson’s office was near General Lane’s. Clark didn’t exactly trust Lois’ father, either, but he had a bit more faith in Sam Lane, just because he knew that Sam must have some feelings of concern over his grandson being missing. Clark hoped that Sam was working in the background to see if the military knew anything about it – and had stopped looking into him.

Clark blurred across the military complex to the administrative offices. He found Slade’s office easily, but it was occupied. General Lane was with him… Clark felt his heart sink a bit, mainly for Lois. If these two were working together against him, how would Lois ever reconcile her relationship with Clark to Sam Lane?

But first, Clark needed to know what they were discussing. He snuck into an empty room, next door, to listen in.

“Your daughter is poking her nose in places it doesn’t belong, Sam,” Wilson warned, while at the same time offering Sam a glass of bourbon.

“She’s worried about her son. He’s been kidnapped,” Sam said, eyeing the bourbon bottle, thinking it looked familiar.

Slade seemed to avoid Sam’s statement. “And that boyfriend of hers? He’s a vigilante. We have all the evidence we need to prove it.”

Sam nodded. “I know… But I also know that Lois loves him,” Sam acknowledged grudgingly.

“Even if he is a threat to national security?” Slade pressed. “These vigilantes have no respect for the rule of law. You know that!”

“What am I supposed to do? Have him arrested? Anyway, I can’t until the VRA passes… and I’ve got to do battle with his mother in the Senate in order for that to happen.”

Clark was glad that Lois wasn’t there to hear this. He knew she longed for reconciliation with her father, but there would never be any if he continued down this hero-hater path. At least Clark didn’t think so. Not if he knew Lois… But, regardless of Sam’s stance on the VRA, it didn’t seem that he knew anything about Joel’s whereabouts. General Wilson didn’t appear as innocent to Clark. Still, to find out more, he’d have to wait until they both left the office, so he could investigate.

Clark checked his watch… He had about another half an hour before he should head out. Suddenly a noise caught Clark’s super-hearing. It sounded like a low whistle, almost like – a rocket. Clark peered through the walls, seeing a missile of some kind heading straight towards the two generals.

Clark blurred into the office, swiping them both out of the building, just as a rocket grenade hit where Generals Lane and Wilson had been standing. Clark burned his signature onto the wall of the building, only slightly enjoying that both of them would now have to live with the fact that a vigilante had saved their lives.

~L&C~

How the hell did he get from in there to out on the street?

Sam Lane gazed up at the burned image on the side of the administrative building. The office was in shambles, and military emergency services were on their way. Sam knew it was the Blur who had saved him and General Wilson, though Slade didn’t seem at all ruffled by the experience. He simply sneered and shook his head. “See what I mean, Sam? They think they can interfere however they want.”

Sam stared at the man, dumbfounded at his words. Did he not realize that, whoever had done this, the Blur had saved them?

“For all we know, the vigilantes sent the rocket themselves. Just to pull a publicity stunt,” Slade went on.

Sam couldn’t believe that. He knew Lois trusted the Blur, and even if he disagreed with her choices, he knew she had a strong sense of right and wrong.

The Blur had saved them. He was sure of that.

But Sam also had a duty to fulfill, and he still believed strongly in the VRA. Even if these heroes were doing good, they couldn’t just act on a whim—

Or could they? Especially if it meant saving your life? Sam thought.

He sighed. He couldn’t sort it all out right now. All he knew was that he was thankful to be alive. Maybe he’d try to call Lois tonight and tell her about it.

Maybe. If he could manage to swallow his pride, that is.

Sam looked up at the stylized ‘S’ on the wall. Under his breath he murmured. “Thanks, Blur.”

~L&C~

Lois looked out of the helicopter as they neared the military complex. All she could think about was her son. She fiercely believed he was being held there, and she was determined that he would come home with her tonight.

Oliver nudged her shoulder, speaking to her through the microphone system, since the sound of the chopper was too loud for normal conversation. “We’ll land about two miles away, and hike our way to the building. Clark and the others should be there soon.” Oliver glanced at his watch, nodding. “We had a good headwind. We’re about an hour and a half earlier than the rendezvous. But it will give us enough time to hide the ‘chopper and make our way to the building.”

Lois nodded, a nervous feeling creeping in her belly. She wasn’t sure what they were in for, but she was prepared to do whatever it took to find Joel.

Oliver’s pilot landed them in a wooded clearing. The helicopter was far enough away, and there was enough foliage in the area to keep it safely hidden. Though it was nightfall, there was still light around them. About a foot of snow lay on the ground, reflecting an eerie purple from the sky overhead.

Lois zipped up her parka and let Oliver help her out of the helicopter. Oliver had an extra leather jacket for the cold that went over his Green Arrow gear, but she eyed him suspiciously. “Really? You’re going for fashion rather than common sense?” she teased.

Oliver grinned back. “I’ll be fine. You ready?”

Lois double checked that she had her cellphone, and took out her wallet and keys, tucking them into her parka. If they had to run, she didn’t want to be bogged down with a purse. “Okay, let’s go find my son.”

Oliver hesitated a moment, then turned to her. “Lois, we don’t even know if he is here. And, if he is, you’ve gotta let me and the others take care of it. I only let you come –“ he sighed. “Because I know how it feels to be helpless when someone you love is in danger. But please, don’t get in the way.”

“Fine,” Lois murmured, though she knew she was lying. She had no intention whatsoever of staying behind…

Oliver loaded some gear on his back, as well as an extra crossbow. He carried a small backpack with emergency supplies, though he hoped those wouldn’t be needed this trip. Still, out in this wilderness, even Oliver knew to be prepared. His pilot would stay with the helicopter, but had orders to get out of there should anyone approach. He had radar from Watchtower of about a couple hundred meter radius around the area, so they hopefully wouldn’t be caught unawares.

“It should take us a half an hour, maybe forty-five minutes to walk up there,” Oliver commented as they started on their way. His phone was connected to Watchtower so Chloe could feed him directions. “All right, Chloe. We’re on our way,” he spoke into his phone.

Chloe was on speaker as she responded, so Lois could hear. “I’ve mapped out your path. You should be all clear…”

“How did heroes do it before technology, I wonder?” Lois mused.

Oliver tossed her a smile over his shoulder. “I dunno, but it’s much better with tech than without it.”

They walked on in silence for some minutes as Oliver got his bearings from Watchtower. They were in a wooded area, and the snow cover made it difficult to find any discernible path. Oliver checked in with Chloe again, as they came over a hill. The building could be seen in the distance and Oliver seemed to begin to breathe a bit easier, now that they had their target in view.

“All right, Chloe. I see the building. To save battery power in this cold, I’m turning off my phone. But I’ll check in when I meet up with the others, okay?”

“Didn’t you bring the back-up battery?” Chloe chastised.

“Um… I guess not.”

“Fine… just be careful, okay?”

“I’m always careful,” Oliver said, and then shut down his phone.

“Well, I’ve got GPS on my phone, if you do lose battery power,” Lois offered.

“Truth be told, I just wanted to talk to you without Chloe listening in…” Oliver admitted.

“Oh? Is everything all right? I thought you guys were on your way to couple-bliss-dom.”

“Everything’s fine with Chloe,” he said, stopping a moment to turn to her. “I’m worried about you—and Clark. I’m hoping I’m not stepping on any toes here, it’s just—“

Lois shook her head. “No, it’s fine.“ She paused, unsure of how to explain things.

“Look, I know having Joel was a huge surprise, and with him missing--- is everything all right, between you and Clark, I mean?”

Oliver had excellent aim, and that arrow went straight to her heart. She tried to plaster on a smile. “It’s difficult, with Joel gone… I mean, I haven’t seen Clark much…”

“He feels terribly guilty about what happened. I think he blames himself.”

“I know he does,” Lois admitted forlornly. “And I twisted that knife when I blamed him, too… I mean, he says he forgives me, but—I don’t think he forgives himself. And I just—“

“What? You can tell me, Lois,” Oliver prodded. “Look, we always promised to be there for each other, right? As friends?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I know… I just feel with the baby, it complicated everything. And then, when Joel disappeared – Clark has a huge guilt complex… and I don’t know if he’ll return to me. I mean, I don’t know if I can ever see us getting married… especially if—“

Oliver clapped a hand on her shoulder. “That’s why we’re here, Lois. We will get Joel back. I promise.”

She managed a weak smile. “Thanks.”

They continued on in silence for a while, each lost in their own thoughts.

Oliver suddenly stopped, raising his hand to stop Lois. “What is it?” she asked.

Oliver scanned the area. “I heard something.” He suddenly grabbed her hand and they started running.

“Is someone following us?” Lois asked, scrambling to keep up with Oliver.

Before he could answer, she heard the low growl of wolves behind them. “Are you kidding me?” she cried, doubling her effort to keep up with Ollie.

“There!” Oliver said, pointing to a large tree with low enough branches for climbing. “We need to get up there.”

The wolves were only a few yards behind them. They could hear the growls and low barking noises. They sounded hungry…

Oliver took out his grappling hook and shot it up into the tree. “Hold on,” he commanded Lois, just as the wolves were on their heels. As they were pulled up into the air, one wolf jumped up and bit Oliver in the calf, causing him to cry out.

“Damn it!” he said, just as they got into the shelter of the large tree, the wolves attempting to jump up to reach them.

Lois was tempted to reprimand Oliver for not wearing thicker pants, but she held her tongue. “I don’t suppose you have a first-aid kit on you, do you?” she asked.

He nodded, shrugging off a small backpack. “There are bandages in there.”

Meanwhile, the wolves were still intent on reaching them in the tree, their jaws snapping several feet below where Lois and Oliver were balanced on two large branches.

“Can you lean against the trunk?” Lois suggested, trying to position herself so she could sit in front of Oliver without her feet dangling over the wolves.

Oliver maneuvered himself and gave her an apologetic shrug. “Sorry… I guess Clark is much better than me at keeping you out of trouble.”

She smiled at him, as she began cleaning the wound. “Sorry,” she said when the alcohol made him wince. “But at least you don’t try to keep me in some ivory tower. I sometimes think Clark is a little too protective.”

“He just worries about you. And with good reason, considering who you hang out with,” he grinned at her.

Lois got to work wrapping Oliver’s leg. The cut wasn’t too deep, but there was always the fear of rabies or some other disease to look out for. Once she was satisfied with her work, she patted his leg gently. “How does it feel?”

“You could’ve been a nurse. Good job,” he said, moving his leg experimentally.

“I’d never have the patience,” she said glibly, looking over her shoulder down at the wolves, which had calmed down but hadn’t left. “They, on the other hand, seem to have it in spades.”

Oliver peered down below them. Suddenly, there was a shift in the wolves’ movement. Oliver glanced at Lois as they both heard other footsteps approaching. The wolves noticed the approaching steps as well, as all five of them turned to see what it was.

Two large dogs came into view, which looked fiercer than the wolves. They snapped at the wolves, and clearly dominating the group, the wolves scattered away. Then, two men in military uniforms appeared. “Good dogs,” one of them said, throwing a scrap of some treat to one of the Dobermans.

“What were those wolves after, I wonder?” said the other soldier, looking up into the trees.

Oliver and Lois glanced at each other, both recognizing the need to keep quiet. Lois shifted ever so slightly and her cellphone slipped out of her pocket, landing with a soft ‘whap’ right into the snow below them.

The dogs came to sniff what fell, causing the two guards to look up into the trees.

Oliver prepared to jump down, but Lois laid her hand on his arm. “You can’t take them on, Ollie. Not with your leg,” she whispered.

“I may not be Clark,” he said somewhat sarcastically. “But I can manage all right.” Oliver swung down, so that he was hanging from the branch Lois was standing on. He gave himself a push and knocked his feet into the back of one of the men. Oliver’s appearance startled the other guy, but Oliver was ready for him. He had his quick draw bow aimed at the man’s head as he stepped forward.

Lois, meanwhile, dug into Oliver’s backpack, to see if he had anything to distract the dogs. Luckily, she found some beef jerky. She threw a few bits down into the snow, drawing the dogs’ attention away from Oliver.

The guy facing Oliver drew a gun on him. “You’re on private government property, son. I’d choose your next move very carefully.”

“Well, I am a tax paying citizen, so I’m pretty sure that gives me a right to be here,” he said coolly.

“I’m pretty sure Uncle Sam has a different idea,” the man said, gesturing with his chin to someone off in the distance.
Suddenly, they were surrounded with at least ten other uniformed guards. “Sargent, take this vigilante, and his girlfriend up there, inside for questioning.”

~L&C~

Lois and Oliver were taken into the facility, accompanied by five armed guardsmen. Oliver debated trying to take them all out, but he worried more about Lois getting in the crosshairs if they resisted. Besides, the rest of their crew was due to be here soon… He hoped that, once Clark realized Oliver was nowhere to be seen, that he’d figure out what happened.

But Clark didn’t know that Lois had joined in on their little expedition. Oliver knew that if they made it out of this alive, Clark would never let him hear the end of it.

Oliver regretted not leaving on his cellphone so that Chloe could know what was happening. He noticed that Lois had managed to recover her phone before the guards had cuffed her, but Chloe wouldn’t necessarily know to check for it. At the very least, he hoped that she might realize something was wrong when he didn’t check in…. and perhaps she could get word the others.

Lois struggled in the cuffs that they put her in, as the guards pushed her along behind Oliver. “I don’t know what kind of place you’ve got going here, but I highly doubt this is legal!” Lois spat.

Oliver knew it was better to keep quiet, at least until they got where they were going. On the bright side, they were being taken inside. If he could figure a way out of his captors’ grasp, he might be able to have a look around the facility, which had been the mission in the first place.

When they entered the building, the guards took them into an elevator and pressed a button sending them six floors down under the earth. With each level they passed, Oliver knew it would be that much harder to escape back up to the surface. But still, he had to remain calm. For Lois’ sake, at the very least.

They took them down a dark corridor, only lit with one small lamp at every fifty foot interval. At last, they dropped Lois in a tiny cell. There was a little window in the door, and she watched as they took Oliver back towards the elevator.

“We’ve been waiting for you, Green Arrow,” said one of the guards, as he pushed the elevator button to call it back down. “Uncle Sam wants to see what you’re really made of.”

Oliver stepped in, staring down the long corridor where Lois stood behind a locked door. Their eyes met, and Oliver tried to force a smile, tried to convey that everything would be okay. Clark would get them out of here…

Then, the elevator closed, and Lois was alone, in a tiny cell, buried miles beneath the earth.

~L&C~

Once the elevator closed, the corridor she was in became eerily quiet. There were no windows, besides those which allowed her to look out of her tiny cell into the hallway. There had to be at least a dozen other cells, but she didn’t think any of them were occupied.

“Hello?” she called out to the echoic hallway, but didn’t hear a response. It was actually more unnerving that she was entirely alone down here, under the earth… Glancing out of the tiny window again, she searched for any kind of camera, or any indication that she was being watched from somewhere. But she didn’t see anything. That, at least, gave her a chance to work on a way out of there…

Lois turned to face the small room. There was a tiny cot that sort of looked clean, and a sink. A bucket stood in the corner for what she assumed was to be what she should use if she needed the restroom. She tried not to let despair overcome her, and was thankful that she at least still had all her belongings. It was odd that they didn’t search her, but she wasn’t about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Lois unzipped her parka but decided to keep it on, as the cement walls seemed to radiate dampness and cold. She took out her cellphone, knowing it wouldn’t get service in this hole, but thought she’d check anyway… Just as she thought--nothing.

She took out her wallet, contemplating using one of her credit cards to try and unlock her door, but just one look told her it was futile. The lock was very thick, turned over twice.
There was no way she was getting out of here on her own…

Determined not to despair, Lois decided to lie down and rest a moment. Maybe she just needed to clear her head, and she’d think of something. Or at the very least, she needed to save her strength for when there did come a moment to escape.

Lois closed her eyes… she tried to think of Clark, of finding Joel again, but only tears came to her eyes… She opened them again, and looked up at the barren walls, wondering how long she would be stuck in this no-name place. What if Clark never found her?

She sighed and turned onto her side. Once again she tried to close her eyes, to calm herself by listening to the sound of her breathing… then, she thought she heard something.

She sat up, a gasp caught in her throat. There was a vent in the top right corner of the room, too tall to reach… but she heard –

Lois concentrated all her energy, to focus on that sound. There it was again.

She wasn’t imagining it!

Somewhere, in another room, perhaps another level of the building, but through the vent -- she heard a baby cry.

--

Too much angst? Not enough Clois? Just right? Tell me your thoughts over here!

Last edited by mozartmaid; 05/10/14 09:15 AM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink