Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
One part to go.

Do you think we'll get a happy ending?

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I suspect you had better after this part(or the pitchforks may be sharpened). However you can be evil when you want to be.

I suspect it will end well but am a bit concerned with the high note you left this on

She wanted time … time to help him see again.

See that they - Clark Kent and Lois Lane - that together, they could be incredible.

"I'm coming, Clark," she muttered. "I'll be there on Saturday, and then ..."

She chuckled softly as his smiling face floated through her imagination.

"… and then, you'll never be alone again."

I suspect there will be some back and forth once she gets to Des Moines. But the essence of L&C is the love story and all of the problems they overcome to get there.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
woot!!! I thought it would be Jane!!

I'm so glad Lois had an epiphany. I'm sure it was breaking Clark's heart to hear her.

Looking forward to the finale!!

[Linked Image]

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well I was pretty sure it would not be Clark due to his rigid code and Lois telling him directly to not contact her again.

Corrina,

This has been a really wonderful and touching story and I can now see why you could not finish it in the two parts you were originally shooting for. It would have been a rush to wrap things up properly. I have seen too many stories here where the ending felt too rushed and wrapped up to neatly and quickly. Thanks for taking to proper time to finish it up nicely. I said recently that the epiphany of L&C for Lois is when she determines that she can hurt him (Clark) as much as he can hurt her. She always has assumed that the man could hurt/destroy her emotionally and never gave much thought that someone could be so in love with her that she could do the same to him. Probably due to the fact of never being with anyone that was true of. One of the reasons I always liked Scardino in the series (and in a lot of the stories here) is that he was (as Clark) vulnerable and Lois could (and did) hurt him. He always came across brash but like Lois underneath was a real softy.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's heartbreaking the way that Jane describes that none of her friends came, except for Lois. I wonder if these events will bring them together, and they'll become real friends, even if infrequent long-distance ones.

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I agree, it is heartbreaking to see Jane desrible how few friends she has.obviously she feels as lonely as Clark does.having a secret does isolate you from the crowd. Cannot wait for the ending. Thank you for a great story so far.

(First review on this message board)

Black Star: "If it's fear that you speak of, then I'll stand and face it. I'll never give up. The only time I lose is when I die!" - Soul Eater
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Tailee
I agree, it is heartbreaking to see Jane desrible how few friends she has.obviously she feels as lonely as Clark does.having a secret does isolate you from the crowd. Cannot wait for the ending. Thank you for a great story so far.

The secrets both couples have will probably bode well for Shane and Jane and Lois and Clark as friends in the future. Lois being the only one to show for Jane's wedding will certainly bond them and Clark's dealing with Shane's issues after his and Jane's falling out will certainly bond them even more. They also have something in common that even though Shane and Jane are not in on will make their bond even greater. This could make for an interesting sequel set sometime in the future...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Mike M
I said recently that the epiphany of L&C for Lois is when she determines that she can hurt him (Clark) as much as he can hurt her. She always has assumed that the man could hurt/destroy her emotionally and never gave much thought that someone could be so in love with her that she could do the same to him. Probably due to the fact of never being with anyone that was true of. One of the reasons I always liked Scardino in the series (and in a lot of the stories here) is that he was (as Clark) vulnerable and Lois could (and did) hurt him. He always came across brash but like Lois underneath was a real softy.

Mike
Good point -- sort of like this revelation for Clark -- 'Being with you is stronger than me alone' (paraphrasing). They each find strength and vulnerability in each other. All the WAFFS! sloppy

And I like your point about Scardino, too. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Welcome to the boards!! smile1

So, now back to the story --

I love the little role 'Clark's Coffee' (TM!) plays in this story.

A solitary cup of coffee had been placed outside her door. She picked it up, recognising the take-out cup as being the same as the ones Clark had brought to their breakfast picnic.

"Clark?"

His name echoed along the vacant corridor.

"Are you there, Clark?"
I'm guessing the coffee was still hot... was Clark there, watching her? Afraid to speak to her? mecry

"You could give me your word that you won't write my story."

"You have it."

"Thank you," Jane said with a gush of relief. "I just want everyone to forget that Margaret Johnston ever existed."
Lois being true-blue, trustworthy is the best Lois. smile

Her heart swelled with sympathy. For Jane. For the injustice she had suffered. For a woman still paying for the selfish actions of her parents.

And for Clark. Who had also lost his first family. Who also kept a secret. Who also lived set apart from those he considered 'normal'.
I'm glad Lois made this connection.

She wanted time … time to help him see again.

See that they - Clark Kent and Lois Lane - that together, they could be incredible.

Can't wait for the next part!!! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth

Welcome, Tailee!!

Thanks for commenting. And your first post, too! sloppy

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Some time later, a knock sliced through her heartache.

The coffee would have still been hot. I wonder how long he stood outside her door, listening to her distress, his heart breaking for her?

Sigh.

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
This part was great! clap

Oh--and a big 'Welcome! wave ' Tailee...

Do I think we'll get a happy ending? Hmm...I'm guessing? I'm hoping, that's for sure smile. It's great to see Lois really realizing how much she cares about Clark. She knows that she loves him--and I was really proud of her for realizing this fairly quickly after she got home. They really only met a bit ago, and she really does have so much baggage--seeing her come to her realization was pretty heartwarming. And will Clark forgive her? Definitely. Don't see it any other way smile. I just hope Lois stays the course when they meet up in Iowa--and follows her heart...

Lois said, startled that she hadn't even thought about the potential for a story.

I hadn't thought of that--thought that there could be a 'story' here regarding Jane. Interesting--and glad it didn't occur to Lois, either. I feel bad for how alone Jane has been, and Lois' friendship obviously means a lot to her. Can't imagine what a story in the paper would have done for Jane frown

"It's my fault," she said. "I knew I should have told him. It was just … I never thought a man like Shane would be interested in me. Most people don't even notice I'm there. After … after I left my family, I was comfortable lurking in the background, and I never quite worked out how to leave it … until Shane came to Des Moines. He noticed me. He asked me out. He proposed. When I was with him, I felt just like everyone else. None of that other stuff mattered. I couldn't believe he wanted to be with me, and I just couldn't make myself …" Her words ground to a strangled sob.

Glad that Lois heard this--even though Clark's situation isn't exactly the same, she can learn a lot about Clark through Jane.

Jane, sometimes it's OK to make up a story to protect someone. Even if that someone is you."

Interesting, Lois smile

Clark Kent was certainly different.

And all those things that make him different, have helped to shape everything that Lois loves about him. Different is good thumbsup

A solitary cup of coffee had been placed outside her door. She picked it up, recognising the take-out cup as being the same as the ones Clark had brought to their breakfast picnic.

What an awesome idea, Corrina! LOVED the coffee outside the door. Such a thoughtful thing for Clark to do...to quietly show his love and support. Right-when-she-needed-him. Awesome!

He'd placed his life in her hands. She'd been so blinded by her own raging emotions that she'd mercilessly stomped all over his defencelessness and scorned him for his naivety.

Exactly! Great job understanding, Lois. She totally gets it--why this potentially can hurt Clark as much as it can. And she sees the trust he wholeheartedly put in her. Can not wait till they can talk this through...

I would gladly risk it all for a woman I loved.

Clark proved his statement completely clap

Looking forward to a flight back to Des Moines, and for hopefully ( dance ???) a happy ending.

Wonderful story...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The 'magical appearance' of Clark's coffee after Lois called him was really cute. smile

I'm glad Jane and Shane's wedding is back on.

I'm looking forward to finding out what happens in the last part.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jane! I knew it! (okay, about 5% of me thought it was Martha until Artemis suggested Perry, then I gave that 5% to him, but I figured it wouldn't be someone random. That would've been too cruel.) This story is about Jane and Shane so it HAD to be her! dance /Usually, I'm so wrong with these guesses. It's nice to right every once and while. LOL/ And I knew the call wouldn't be about Clark. thumbsup Well done. Very accurate.

"I'm so sorry about everything," Jane said. "I'm sorry you came all this way for nothing."

It hadn't been for nothing. It had been worse than nothing. Better than nothing. It had been everything. "How are you?" Lois repeated. "Have you talked to Shane?"
Well, that just sums it up. smile

"A little. Lois, I want to thank you for not printing anything. I thought maybe … maybe you'd write the story of where I am now, and the fact that I ruined my chance of happiness would make it newsworthy. I've been checking the Daily Planet every day. I appreciate your discretion."
Yea! for Lois taking the high road! (I'm going to blame Clark's terrific distraction technique!) party

PERRY: She did WHAT?!

CLARK: /crossing his fingers behind his back/ Um... yeah.... Lois, I'm not really an alien. I can't really fly. Only after what Shane told you, I knew I had to distract you in a major way from you printing her story. Will you ever forgive me? /puppy dog eyes/

"I told my two closest friends, Emma and Belinda. People have been really kind and not asked too many questions. Shane has taken the leave we booked for the honeymoon, but I've gone back to the paper. It helps keep my mind off everything."

"Yeah," Lois said. "Do you think there's any chance of reconciliation with Shane?"
Yes. Lois understands about work helping get your mind off things.

PERRY: Jimmy! Will you drag Mad Dog home and make sure she gets a shower? JIMMY! Blast it! Where did that kid go?

JIMMY: peep

"It's my fault," she said. "I knew I should have told him. It was just … I never thought a man like Shane would be interested in me. Most people don't even notice I'm there. After … after I left my family, I was comfortable lurking in the background, and I never quite worked out how to leave it … until Shane came to Des Moines. He noticed me. He asked me out. He proposed. When I was with him, I felt just like everyone else. None of that other stuff mattered. I couldn't believe he wanted to be with me, and I just couldn't make myself …" Her words ground to a strangled sob.
Awww and mecry

"Shane comes from a family of boys. They … Weddings aren't really their thing - not the details, anyway. I sent the invitations. I invited everyone I could remember from college and even high school. You were the only one who accepted."
blush Poor Jane.

Her heart swelled with sympathy. For Jane. For the injustice she had suffered. For a woman still paying for the selfish actions of her parents.

And for Clark. Who had also lost his first family. Who also kept a secret. Who also lived set apart from those he considered 'normal'.
So, does she believe what he told her? Or just that he believes what he told her?

Some time later, a knock sliced through her heartache.

Lois dragged her sleeve across her eyes and stumbled to the door. When she opened it, the corridor was empty.

Except …

"Clark?"
He knew. He came. He heard. He left. He brought her coffee. Awww.

With a sigh, she rose from the sofa, placed the cup on her counter, and went to bed.

||~||

It was a little after 3am when Lois accepted that sleep was not going to rescue her from the turmoil of a mind in meltdown.
Well, Duh! Lois. You just had a cup of coffee.

The details of the case had been background to the focus of the study, which had been the agreement from all media outlets that the little girl at the centre of the tragedy deserved the chance to grow up in anonymity. They reported she had survived the gunshot wound, and then, despite clamouring public interest, had resolutely refused to divulge even the smallest morsel of information.
So sad that this doesn't happen any more. frown

If those claims were true, she could prove them. There must be other instances where Clark had left fragments of evidence that verified his ability to move around with extraordinary speed. If they were there, she would find them. Then, she could write the biggest story of all time and take it to Perry.

The story of alien life on Earth would establish her place as the greatest reporter in the history of the news. She would have all the fame and accolades she had dreamed of for so long.

She would ruin Clark's life.
She's going to do what?! [Linked Image] Phew. She's come to her senses.

Well, that's 10 quotes. I've got to go open another reply window. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
FDK - The Second Half

Clark Kent was a very special man. He needed a woman who could embrace his differences. A woman unwavering in her love and support. A woman willing to lie in order to protect his secret. Someone he could trust implicitly. Someone he knew would never leave him.

Lois wasn't sure she wanted to be that woman.
Yeah. That's a bit much to take on after only one date.

But as she left her bedroom, the trash can caught her eye, nailing her feet to the floor.

The scraps of paper seemed to speak of a life in tatters.

Clark must feel as if she had ripped up his life and then walked away with callous indifference.
Oh, my, goodness! jawdrop What was in that coffee? Lois is thinking of someone else before herself! thud

Was he concerned she would print his story? Had he, like Jane, been checking the headlines every day?
Let's just go with "yes" on this one.

He'd placed his life in her hands. She'd been so blinded by her own raging emotions that she'd mercilessly stomped all over his defencelessness and scorned him for his naivety.

A wave of shame crashed over her.

He must regret his trust in her. He must wish he had lied. He must wish he had put his own wellbeing ahead of her demands for information.
I could see this. And, maybe he did for a while and then spending time with Shane helped him realize how big a secret it really was, he was asking her to share.

He had risked so much more than she had thought possible when he'd uttered that statement. He'd risked his way of life - his freedom, his job, his friends, his tenuous grip on normality. He'd risked it all.

For what?

For a chance to be with her?

Did that mean he loved her?

Would he understand her reaction? Would he understand that she'd needed some time to come to terms with the realities of his life? Would he give her the grace she hadn't given him?
Love.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Definitely.
I'm so glad she could understand Clark without him having to prove himself.

Could she ever love a man who wasn't human?

That question burned for her, too. Could she?

She did love him.

But would that love continue, day after day, for the rest of her life?
The first question is about prejudice and she proved she already knew the answer. This last one was personal and something we all struggle with when we find love.

With a sigh, Lois picked up her bag and went in search of a story. The lives of other people had to be infinitely simpler than hers was.
clap I love this line!

"Lois." The female voice was breathless with excitement. "Shane came to the office today. He says he stills loves me. He wants us to get married on Saturday."
Wow! That's quick.

I love that everyone trusts Clark, and I bet Jane would continue to accept him as a friend, secret and all.

"Clark is smiling a lot, but ..."

Lois understood immediately. Clark was pretending. He'd probably done a lot of that in his life. Pretended he fitted in. Pretended he was just like everyone else. Pretended he didn't care he was different.
mecry Poor Clark. Trying to be strong for Shane and Jane.

She wanted to be with Clark.

Even if he could fly.

Regardless of where he had been born.

The man … the heart … she wanted him. Nothing else mattered.

So much to quote... out of quotes... This part was amazing. I loved how Lois indecision slowly over time became acceptance and a decision.

I can't wait for Part 10! hyper

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There's still room for another twist or two, but I hope we get to see a happy ending next time. smile

A great story, as always.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm having trouble pinning down my feelings on this chapter. Not the writing or story-telling -- that's first rate, as always -- but with how things are unfolding for Jane and Shane.

And then he confirmed every fear you ever had by betraying you and rejecting you and refusing to rally for you and destroying the wedding you'd spent all this time arranging when it was too late to get any of your deposit money back. Of course you love him, Jane; he sounds like such a keeper!

Can you tell I still want to punch Shane in the nose? wink

I invited everyone I could remember from college and even high school. You were the only one who accepted."
Ahhh, I feel so sorry for this girl! And I hope Lois feels like dirt for the way she was mocking her all the way up until disaster struck.

Oh, Clark! *sob* I want to hug him.

He's so very clever to not let Lois see him doing it, too. Because just as Jane was worried Lois was going to write the story, Clark has reason to be a million times more concerned. So, yes, it's true that he's honoring her insistence that he never contact her again, but he also has "plausible deniability" if it turns out he's wrong about her and she would betray him. She might insist that it's the same coffee, but I have no doubt he'll have an alibi lined up with people who can vouch that he was in Des Moines in the minutes before and after the coffee was delivered.

It was a little after 3am when Lois accepted that sleep was not going to rescue her from the turmoil of a mind in meltdown.
Well, Lois, you did just drink a full cup of coffee immediately before bed. What did you expect? rotflol

"Does he know how much he hurt you?"

"Yes," Jane said. "And he's very sorry. I'm just so glad he knows about what happened, and I don't ever need to be scared of him finding out again."

Lois silenced her doubts.
I'm glad that you have Lois "argue" with Jane a bit about the quick turnaround because my thoughts echoed hers. We're only getting the nutshell version, no doubt, since Jane is in a hurry and has a million things to do before Saturday. But my first thought was, "He firebombs your life and you take him back, just like that?" So having Lois voice those doubts -- doubts that might be shared by your readers -- lets Jane give her side of the story.

Not that I still don't want Shane to grovel, mind.

In mulling over why I'm having such a strong reaction to what Shane did, other than the obviously parallels to Clark, I realized that it's because there seems to be a power imbalance between Jane and Shane. She's the meek, scared little girl who never thought anyone could love her because of her past, and even worse, that she didn't deserve to have anyone love her. Shane holds all the cards, has all the power, and he alone gets to decide whether they can be together or not, and she should be grateful he's willing to be with her. He can humiliate her in front of all their friends and his entire family by not only canceling the wedding but by making a huge show in front of everyone that HE IS SO ANGRY AND SHE DESERVES IT without even explaining why until Clark shows up. And even then, it's only his immediate family that gets to hear the story. Everyone else is going to assume that she cheated on him or did something else really terrible to cause him to call things off. And that's not going to change just because he takes her back. People are always going to wonder what Jane did that was so terrible and say, "Wow, that Shane is a saint to marry her after whatever it was she did to him." Bah. razz

Now, all that said, I have to recognize that we are seeing Jane almost completely through Lois's eyes in this story. It's Lois that tells us early on that Jane is bland, unattractive, boring, meek, forgettable, and should feel lucky that she actually found someone who wants to marry her. Only much later in the story do we hear differently from Clark -- that Jane was the hesitant one and that Shane had to pursue her. But that's really all we know, other that Shane says her real name "with disgust" and that Jane feels that she never deserved him anyway. So I just have to hope, for Jane's sake, that these concerning glimpses are just because we caught Shane in his absolute worst moment and that they really do have a healthy, balanced relationship otherwise.

Sorry ... can you tell I really wanted Shane to have to prove himself to win her back? wink Let's hope he ate a lot of crow off-screen to convince her he was sincere and that he isn't going to bolt the next time he finds out some little thing he doesn't like. (Heh, channeling S3 Clark there. ;))

Yay! Good decision, Lois. And I can't wait to see Clark's reaction when he sees you there. hyper

Kathy

Last edited by KathyB; 05/10/14 11:25 PM.
K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Just my thoughts, Kathy. notworthy I feel so bad for Jane, who seems to believe that she doesn't deserve to be happy and to have a support of a good man. I hope that Shane learned something from this experience and will be a kind of husband Jane needs.

It seemed to me, that Shane's brothers accepted Jane and were not happy, that the wedding was called off. Jane may have a chance to have a devoted family she dreams about. smile

I can't wait for the final part to see Clark's reaction. smile1

Please, post soon. grovel

KateB
Merriwether
Merriwether
It seemed to me, that Shane's brothers accepted Jane and were not happy, that the wedding was called off. Jane may have a chance to have a devoted family she dreams about.
Hahaha, I noticed that, too, Kate! I know that Clark has been being all friendly to Shane, but I wonder if the brothers staged an intervention during the week between the weddings.

"OK, dude, here's the deal. We know you're normally a good person, but right now, you're acting like a despicable human being. So we talked to Mom and Dad and we all agree -- if you keep treating Jane like this, we're going to start including her in all the family holidays and you can go eat alone at McDonalds."

lol

Last edited by KathyB; 05/11/14 09:02 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by KathyB
"OK, dude, here's the deal. We know you're normally a good person, but right now, you're acting like a despicable human being. So we talked to Mom and Dad and we all agree -- if you keep treating Jane like this, we're going to start including her in all the family holidays and you can go eat alone at McDonalds."
I love this idea! clap

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nudge. Nudge. It's been a week. I'm ready for Part 10. grovel

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard