Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Apparently Lois has just learned what every parent learns eventually: Just because a child appears to be engrossed in some other activity does not mean that s/he isn't paying attention to every word being said. This doesn't bode well for The Secret.

As always, all feedback appreciated.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwww. What nice parents. Not taking any awful photos of the kids with bad haircuts. I'm not that nice. evil I believe those are the best photos, because they're the ones you all can look back upon and laugh. They document the truth. Luckily, my daughter only took the scissors to the brand new curtains (literally, hung the week before), not themselves. And then promptly pointed at little (less than) 2 y.o. brother and said "he did it!"

Poor Clark. I loved how they told about his first disastrous haircut. Luckily, boys having longer hair in the 70s / early 80s wasn't the no-no it was 20-30 years earlier. Yes, unfortunately, it was something poor Clark would have to figure out for himself.

Yes, kids are little sponges. The first time my daughter said "no" she was mimicking me telling her "No! No! No!" don't tear up the newspaper. She grinned and said "No! No! No!" back to me and hasn't stopped since. (hmmmm. Deadly Chakram's girls should be about that age, now...) I'm betting Clarissa already knows all about Daddy's powers as Lois and Clark would have had to be extra vigilant not to speak about them in front of her. Clearly, they haven't been doing that. Keeping the family secret might end up being a fun series of stories.

Fun story, as always, Lynn. clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Hehe, reminds me of the haircut I gave myself at the age of four. It had to be cut boyishly short to be (almost) even again. Ever since, I can't stand short hair.

Come to think of it, my daughter did the same thing at around the same age - only she mostly restricted herself to her bangs. Then again, she has always worn her cherished hair very long...

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm so happy my kids never did this. They did draw on the walls, but never the DIY haircut. smile

I, on the other hand…

Cute story!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Would you believe, our son didn't do it to himself? He fell victim to my wife's first hair cutting attempts. His bangs were sooooo short ...

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Awww! That's adorable! And learning one of those interesting tidbits that would be unique only to Clark (and probably his off-spring).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story, Lynn clap. I really enjoyed it...

A random line that I really liked:

Dad had me practicing lighting bales of hay on fire with my eyes and then blowing them out with my breath. At least I came with my own built-in fire extinguisher.

'At least I came with my own built-in fire extinguisher.' rotflol Awesome!

My sister and I had long hair growing up, but surprisingly, neither of us attempted this on ourselves--or each other wink...but that's not to say there was a story in our house also:

My mother babysat two boys--one my age and one the same age as my little sister. Anyway, my little sister and the little boy had disappeared into her room for a little while, and when my mom went to check on them, she discovered that they were playing 'beauty shop'. Anyone remember 'rattails'? Well, when this little boy was dropped off at our house, he had one. He went home without jawdrop. When playing, my sister decided she just didn't like 'the look'. Yikes--his mother wasn't too happy (but boy, did that kid look better w/o it whistle )...

Loved the concept of the story. And great idea about having him practice with the wigs smile

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/03/14 10:24 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My brother didn't cut his own hair, he cut the hair on my Barbie doll. frown

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What an adorable story! Poor Clark. Although, I'm betting the week off from school helped - he would need to take the occasional "sick day" to blend in and not look any different from the rest of the kids.

I never cut my own hair, but my sister cut her bangs once. And then hid the hair in the dollhouse under a mattress because she knew she'd done something wrong. laugh

Virginia - we're still solidly in the "dadadadadada!" stage. Can't even get a "momma" yet. But I did teach at least Ashley how to high five!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Very nice. I think all families have cute 'growing up' stories about their kids. Clark would have some that are completely unique.

How sweet that his little girl wanted to be just like her dad.

It could have been worse. I once read a RL story about a little girl who cut her face shaving - not badly, thankfully, but her reason for doing it was exactly that same - she wanted to be like Dad.

Nice story, Lynn. Well done.

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Cute story! Clark could have become a hair dresser in an alternate universe. All those wigs he practiced on... wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Cute little story. smile

My mom used to just cut tangles and knots out of my hair rather than brush them out. No surprise that after a while I stopped letting her touch my hair. goofy And my brother cut the hair of my best doll.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you all for the feedback. I loved reading about so many different hair-related family stories.

Although I don't remember having done so, I apparently gave myself a rather "creative" hair cut when I was very young. I knew I wouldn't have been alone in pursuing such an endeavor, but I hadn't realized just how common something like this was.

Laura, I'm delighted that you singled out the "built-in fire extinguisher" line. Aside from the punny title, it was my favourite part of the story.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I think this is a story most parents can relate to, along with any one who's tried cutting their own hair with disastrous results.

When I was 6 and my sister 3, we decided we were tired of waiting for Mom to cut our hair and did it ourselves, then walked proudly hand-in-hand to show Dad. He taught us some new vocabulary, then called Mom at work to tell her. It was just in time for Easter pictures, too, so we got hats that year.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Kerth
Kerth
That's just too funny. And I don't even want to know the kind of vocabulary your dad taught you that day. lol And the hats are priceless! rotflol

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Annie, I agree with Lara; your story made me rotflol. And I, too, don't want to know what new words you learned that day.

So when you look at those old photos, do you smile, cringe, or a bit of both?

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
'so we got hats that year'--great story, Annie...loved the bit about the hats smile

Lynn--it was a great line notworthy. Now whenever I see Clark use his super-breath, I will think of it as his 'built-in fire extinguisher'. I just thought it was such a clever point--he had the 'means' (the extinguishing breath) to the 'end' (the fire from his heat-vision going out) all there and ready for him to use as needed. That line added a great touch of personality to the story--really, it was one of my favorite parts smile...

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 05/04/14 09:36 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yikes! This was a hair-razing experience! It brought back a lot of funny memories. Thanks for the early morning chuckle! smile1

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
You're very welcome, Morgana. Of course, you do realize that I am now curious about those funny memories... whistle

Thanks for leaving feedback.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard