Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#253453 05/01/14 08:52 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I think this is the third time I've posted what I thought was the third-last part of this story. grumble

Corrina. wave

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yea, another part!!!

Well that was a different reaction than most would have thought. This throws a completely different spin on things.

Originally Posted by Female Hawk
It was time to get out. Out of Clark's car. Out of his life. Out of Des Moines. "Take me to the hotel."

Clark started the engine. They drove to the hotel in frigid silence. Lois used her fuming anger to quell the tears that pushed up her throat. She would not cry. She would not let him know how close she'd come to allowing him into her heart.

He pulled up outside the hotel. As soon as they stopped, Lois opened the car door to prevent him from doing it for her.

"Lois?"

She sprung out of his car. "What?"

"Are you going to print this?"

She turned on him, propelled by a volatile medley of anger and disappointment and shock. "Do you really think I would trash my reputation with a fairy tale?"

"Thank you."

His civility aggravated the rawness of her emotions. "Don't contact me," she hissed. "Don't call me. Ever." She slammed the door and ran into the hotel.

Before she reached her room, hot tears were streaming down her cheeks like lava spewed from an angry volcano.

You are quite clear right here Lois...

And her gut was adamant that Clark Kent did not lie.

He believed he'd been born on another planet.

And that … it just wasn't poss-

The coffee!

Perhaps he had an other-world recipe. It had been the best coffee she'd ever tasted. Since returning to Metropolis, she had only drunk coffee to provide the much-needed boost from the caffeine hit. It had tasted rancid in her mouth and bitter with memories in her mind.

She craved more of Clark's coffee.

More of Clark.

Maybe she should quit being so rash.

The phone shrilled, and Lois's heart clunked somewhere low in her stomach.

Could it be him? He hadn't called. Or if he had, she hadn't been home, deliberately so. But now … She gulped. Should she answer it? She didn't want to talk to him. She couldn't talk to him. She wouldn't have an answer if he simply enquired how she was.

Unable to stay away, Lois rose slowly and walked to the phone. Her hand hovered through several rings. Then she snatched at it, put it to her ear, and squeaked, "Hello?"

I understand why she would want it to be Clark but not why would she be suspecting it to be. She had been quite specific about him never contacting her again and in previous parts he took her quite literally (the I don't date statement)

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/01/14 09:38 PM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Merriwether
Merriwether
This was heartbreaking to read, but exactly the way the story needed to go. Once Lois pushed Clark for his secret, it had to end like this. He couldn't not tell her, but Clark was absolutely right that it was way too soon. She didn't know him, hadn't met his family, hadn't seen him at work or in his apartment ... all those things that lead Lois to know that Clark is completely "human" before she learns where he came from. Everything was over, and Clark knew it, even as he forced out the words. That poor, poor boy. mecry

Lois's response was devastating, but again, completely expected. What else could she think? The only thing that surprised me was that, while she finally came down on the side that he actually believed the story his parents told him, she never completed the thought with, "I finally meet the man of my dreams and he's mentally ill." Too painful to admit, that she hadn't noticed any other signs of delusion? Easier to believe that his parents were at fault for messing with his head than that he himself may have created his fantasy world?

Of course, with two parts to go, this isn't the end of the story ... and somehow, Lois is going to allow herself to be convinced. And I'm really, really looking forward to seeing how you do it! thumbsup

As for the phone call, I agree that Lois was completely clear that she didn't want Clark to call her, but given that this is the night he had promised to call (is it nearly 8:00, by any chance?), I'm not at all surprised she thinks/hopes it might be him. Not only has she been thinking about him (and trying not to think about him) for the last two days straight, but she has just admitted to herself that she misses him terribly, despite how things ended. So it makes perfect sense that, when the phone rings, she can't help but wonder if it's him.

But if it is, serious kudos to Clark for being brave enough to pick up the phone. I can't even imagine how devastated he has been these last two days. (Poor, poor boy!!) So for him to put himself out there again, to risk having her hang up on him or scream at him ... very, very brave.

Sob! My poor Clark! wink

More, please! smile1

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wonder why Clark didn't just give her a demonstration? Absent that, of course there isn't any way Lois would believe him.

I can't wait to see how this gets resolved… please post again soon!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, it isn't Clark on the phone. Mike was right. Clark took her at her word from the first moment. He said he wouldn't push their relationship, so if she said don't call her ever, he wouldn't call... ever. I'm thinking of one of two possibilities: Martha or Jane. I'm leaning more towards the latter. I believe that that there's only two remedies for how Lois left Clark; firstly, she call him and ask for forgiveness and proof. Secondly, he comes out as Superman in a spectacular fashion and she can no longer deny the truth, and ask for forgiveness. And, yet, I cannot see either of those happening.

If Clark was going to tell Lois his secret, why, oh, WHY did he do it in the car??? Where he's seat belted down? Why couldn't they have gone somewhere else private? Did he believe that she wouldn't want to be someplace private with him? If she feared him, or his secret, than that proves that it wasn't the time nor the place to tell it.

How horrible it must have been for Clark to hear Lois belittle his folks, their honesty, and his gullibility all in one swoop. Lois definitely owes Clark an apology, but I cannot see her giving him one, even if she does miss him. He had told her it was too early in their relationship, and he was right. It wasn't as if she knew about Superman and had proof of an alien living amongst us in vibrant colors. No, there was no reason, nor did he give her any, to believe him. She asked for the impossible and he gave it to her in the worst possible way. She's a newspaper reporter, Clark! WHY would she believe you without FACTS or PROOF?

I feel for Clark that the first time he felt compelled to tell someone his secret that he was treated so horribly. Hugs for Clark. His execution earned him zero points, but I still feel for him.

Lois got her self-fulfilling prophecy. So what next? Where do they go from here? Where is forward?

Please, post soon! grovel

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There was no way for Clark to get out of telling Lois his secret once she started questioning him about it, but telling her while they were in the car wasn't the best idea. There was no way she was going to believe Clark was an alien with special powers without proof.

Even though things didn't go well during their conversation, it's been one of my favorite parts of the story so far.

I'm looking forward to finding out happens next and who is calling Lois.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by DebbieG
I wonder why Clark didn't just give her a demonstration?
I was wondering that as well... but it is definitely the way things needed to go, all things considered. Really curious how this all turns out!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree with Virginia. I think it is Jane on the phone. I think she is calling because she and Shane have reconciled. She heard about what happened between Lois and Clark and is acting as intermediary to try to get them back together.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally Posted by KenJ
I agree with Virginia. I think it is Jane on the phone. I think she is calling because she and Shane have reconciled. She heard about what happened between Lois and Clark and is acting as intermediary to try to get them back together.

I really hope it's Jane. It'd be nice if it is. I can imagine the chewing out Lois is going to get. Hopefully there is a discussion about Jane's past as well. I would love it if Jane and ended this as close friends after this.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Christina
Originally Posted by KenJ

I really hope it's Jane. It'd be nice if it is. I can imagine the chewing out Lois is going to get. Hopefully there is a discussion about Jane's past as well. I would love it if Jane and ended this as close friends after this.

I suspect everyone is right however Corrina is good at bait and switch so who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I can understand why she thought she was going to need more than two parts to finish this up as she has painted Lois into quite a corner and that takes time to let the paint dry. Of course Corrina does not have to wrap everything up in a bow at the end in fact she often just starts the bow tying at the end (like the overhand knot part) leaving it to the readers to interpret (finish tying the bow) where it goes from there.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 05/02/14 09:38 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
K
Poor, heartbroken Lois and Clark. It was catch 22 for both of them. mecry I think Clark should have prepared the ground for his unusual confession. It isn't something easy to believe, especially without proof. dizzy

I hope it's Jane trying to help Clark. I wouldn't be surprised if Jane had known (or suspected) more about Clark than he realized.
Please, post soon. grovel

Last edited by KateB; 05/02/14 04:57 PM.

KateB
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great job!!! Im sooooo hookeeeddd on this story. Pleaseee post part 9 as soon as you can

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I just thought of another possibility (although an unlikely one). It COULD be Clark but Clark wanting to explain something and ask her if she would interview him. It's possible he's ready to go public.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Good Lord... This has to be a nightmare to Clark! He opened up his heart and she didn't believe him! But, really she is a reporter... and needs hard facts and without them, is logical that hardly believed Clark's revelation.

I'm eager to read next part!

Clark: "So what are you saying? I should go crawling back on my hands and knees?"
Martha: "No, honey. Fly back. It's faster!!"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed this part of the story--but hated, for Clark, the secret having to come out like it did (and I completely agreed with him as it as happening--there was no way it wasn't going to work out badly at the time...that soon, in the car, etc). Why would Lois believe him? Being in her shoes--even though she has a good gut feeling about Clark, knows he's a great person, and so on, hearing someone say what his secret was? Yeah...it just comes across seeming a bit...um, 'off' dizzy shock thud.

But I agree with what Lady Loisette stated:

There was no way for Clark to get out of telling Lois his secret once she started questioning him about it, but telling her while they were in the car wasn't the best idea.

He had to tell her then...he had no choice but to tell her then. It was officially 'out there'--being that Lois knew Clark was hiding something. Having it happen in his car definitely didn't help. Like others have stated, some sort of demonstration/proof would have eliminated a lot of doubts for Lois...though I can sort of see why Clark didn't. He was very much caught off guard there in the car. Put on the spot. A deer in the head lights. Maybe he just didn't think to get into proving himself--he took her not believing him as what it was.

KenJ stated:

Me, too thumbsup. Clark has followed along with Lois' wishes very closely throughout the story, so I don't know if I see him calling her. Lois made it VERY clear on that subject...but now, with time to think, it almost seems like it could be one of those 'I'll tell him not to call, but I hope that he calls' sort of things.

I really enjoyed how you wrote the confrontation about the secret btw them in the car...Lois' first question about asking if he was "married", followed by "wanted by the police", and then followed by "You had an affair with Jane?". Clark's "No!" (about being with Jane) was great clap. The whole scene was written really wonderfully dance

Very much looking forward to the next part...

Great story, Corrina! smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not a revelation I would have ever expected! But so good for the story. Angst ensues.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
huh jawdrop
"Hello"
I think it is Perry calling Lois about a new story of a guy in a weird suit flying around Metropolis rescuing people and telling her to get on the story. Suddenly light dawns on who it just might be.
notworthy party
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I agree with everything that everyone said, even the parts that conflict. smile This story pulls so many different ways!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm thinking the phone call may be Jane....and may be about Clark.

Good story, Corrina!

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Mike

I understand why she would want it to be Clark but not why would she be suspecting it to be. She had been quite specific about him never contacting her again and in previous parts he took her quite literally (the I don't date statement)

'Suspecting' is different to 'expecting'. The phone rang, Lois's thoughts jumped to Clark (because they'd been stuck there for days!)

Kathy This wasn't the night Clark had promised to call - it was two nights later. Lois had deliberately been out at the time Clark had promised to call, so she didn't know whether he'd tried or not. No cell phones, then, which was very convenient for my story!

Debbie The real reason Clark didn't give a demonstration is that I didn't think of it. But in hindsight, I think he would have been wary of anyone else witnessing something they shouldn't, so he would have had to convince Lois to go somewhere private with him. That could have gotten messy.

Virginia

I think maybe Clark might have thought that proof would have spooked her even more. And with her being a reporter, did he really want to present her with proof? As much as Clark wanted to be with Lois, he also had to try to salvage a life sans Lois.

Lady L It's nice to have a reader enjoy some angst. smile

MM As I've said, giving proof to one of the top reporters in the country is not conducive to him being able to continue his life. And having his alienness splashed across the front page of the DP wasn't going to good for his parents, either.

Ken Very close, Ken.

Christina I don't really see Jane as a person to be giving anyone a 'chewing out', which could be good for Shane, because he probably deserves one!

And later ... interesting idea. That's another tangent completely.

Kate Clark felt cornered. It's not easy to prepare anything when MDL is snapping at your heels!

Seme Glad you're enjoying it. Sorry for the delay!

chelo I think it was tough on both of them. evil

Laura

I really enjoyed how you wrote the confrontation about the secret btw them in the car...Lois' first question about asking if he was "married", followed by "wanted by the police", and then followed by "You had an affair with Jane?". Clark's "No!" (about being with Jane) was great clap. The whole scene was written really wonderfully dance

Usually, the scenes when something dramatic is happening are easiest to write. This scene was very clear in my head a long time before I got to it. It's the fiddly/in-the-middle scenes that take so long to get right.

Iolanthe In a fandom strewn with great revelations, it's nice to pull an unexpected one occasionally.

Artemis It didn't even occur to me that Clark might out himself as SM. Interesting idea.

Amy So glad you're enjoying the story, Amy.

Kismatt Nice guess - almost right.

Thanks to everyone for reading and taking the time to leave FDK.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard