Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#252881 04/27/14 01:17 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boy! You're right, Wendy, it sure looks different.

I noticed that not only has the Blue Arrow for new story parts has disappeared, but that it's no longer an option. Is this what you mean by "graphics"? Also, I see that there's a new "Watched Topic" (and/or author?) section. I'm interested to see instructions about this new feature.

Not that it's a big deal, I also noted a change in my Member #.

I have to admit my eyes will need time to adjust to this new look.

Thanks for all of your hard work. /applauds wildly/

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Could you post the things you've noticed in the announcement thread in FF-Related? It would be helpful to keep everything together. Thanks!

(And my member number changed as well. Weird, but no big deal)

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Um... This is FF-Related forum... isn't it? I tried to reply to your original post, Wendy, but was told it wasn't accepting replies, which is why I started this new thread.

I recommend everyone to go to "My Stuff" section and edit your preferences as some of the choices have changed. Some of these changes include how you view the boards, how many responses you'll see to topics, etc.

Also, you can change your "Mood" by clicking the down arrow next to your username in the upper right hand corner. (In case you aren't in the mood to be smile )

Thanks for letting me know the discussions for our polls are still there, even if the polls themselves are gone. (I'll have to re-do my "Favorite Clark Kent", etc. polls. Good thing I have all my data, somewhere... I think.) Will there be a new way to do polls, or will this feature disappear?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/27/14 01:33 AM. Reason: Smilie looked wrong

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh. Cool! I just got your response, Wendy, in my email and it had the content of your post in the email, just like the PM notices. thumbsup Love it!

I also like the feature where you can note when you've edited a post, because I do this A LOT! Sometimes I want it noted when I've added something new, and sometimes (as when I notice a typo) I don't. I like that we can either note it (as I did above when I switched my smilie from laugh to smile ) or not, as when I edited my original message earlier.

New Stuff: I just re-posted my Bid to your Beta services, Wendy, as that somehow got lost in the update. No problemo. I should have my bids recorded somewhere on my computer. But I noticed two things when responding. I quoted Michael's post, which only allowed me to see HIS post out of all the previous posts. Secondly, the look of the quoted text appear differently. There was something else, but now it's slipped my mind.

Also, note all the cool new font extras we can do in our post besides bold and italics, we can now underline, cross stuff out that way and do this fun thing
Spoiler
(which is called "spoiler"). lol We can add color and change size. We can even change the type of font we use in our posts. Having too much fun playing around on the new boards!

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/27/14 01:55 AM. Reason: Added more stuff

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, went to check out the TOC for (let's see if this link thing works) WRONG CLARK. It looked fine, but when I went to click on the link to my newest posted part (#169), I was sent to the LnC Boards Main Forum Page. shock Same thing happened when I clicked on the "Comments" link. Let's hope this is just a glitch which will be corrected in time. grovel

Author's Note: For anyone reading Wrong Clark, I have corrected the broken links for the latest part (but the latest part only), which can be accessed via the above TOC link.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/27/14 02:22 AM. Reason: Added A/N

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Um... I just clicked on the Nfic Boards and was let in without updating my password. Then I discovered that to READ an actual post, one will be denied without a password. blush But anyone can read the subject list without a password. This is new.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know why the upgrade doesn't like Darth Michael, but many of his previous posts were shortened to only smilies or deleted (except his name) on the update. Has this happened to anyone else's posts?

VirginiaR.
---
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Noticed that you have to login to the boards to see any threads at all.

Also noticed the missing posts. And something went terribly wrong indeed with my posts. e.g. here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/100167/FDK_-_Wrong_Clark_%28168/???%29#Post100167

This two-part FDK should have been about 6 Word pages worth of FDK, including 30 images.

Here, too: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/100079/FDK_-_Wrong_Clark_%28167/???%29#Post100079

More lost content: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/137288/%22Big_Bang_Theory%22_Ch#Post137288
And that was just a quick reply.

Another one: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/170608/Re:_Hypothetical_Question_time#Post170608
Everything before the wave Michael is gone.

Labby found two more right here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/170250/Re:_Archive_Running_Low...#Post170250

Also, external links to the threads no longer work. It appears that there's no redirect. Same goes for some TOCs, e.g. Virginia's Wrong Clark, while for instance Shane's Vagrant (http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/172846/Vagrant_by_ShayneT_%28Complete%29#Post172846) is okay.

Less of an issue: The automatic linkification of URLs is gone.
and the posting time is wrong in http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/252743/Re:_Offer:_Beta_Services#Post252743 . Says I posted at 1:52am, that can't be right. And yes, that's the time after I checked the timezone settings.

dizzy mecry help Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 04/27/14 11:01 AM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Darth Michael

Hope this changes. I often send links to a friend who would be interested, but hasn't actually signed up.

Personally, if I couldn't see what I was signing up to then I wouldn't have signed up.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by KatherineKent

Hope this changes. I often send links to a friend who would be interested, but hasn't actually signed up.

Personally, if I couldn't see what I was signing up to then I wouldn't have signed up.

Yeah, I'm quite certain that this is just a settings/permission issue that still needs to be configured.

On an unrelated note, the PayPal link is gone from the top of the boards.

2nd unrelated note: Am I correct that the watched topics have been reset? It's great that we can now also watch topics that we didn't start, but it also means writers need to re-watch their FDK threads blush

wave Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 04/27/14 04:03 AM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Please bear with us. Keep a list of what you see that is different.

Later on today I'll set up a ticketing system where you can go and enter what issues you see, individually. This will give us a chance to address things or explain things. Then we can check things off as they are fixed.

Because of the huge gap between versions not everything will be able to be fixed. Some features are just gone and replaced with new ones. Prime example are the polls.

The TOCs? If there is a linking problem that will be up to the author, or whomever is in charge of keeping the TOC updated for that particular story.

Again, be patient. Things will be fixed or explained as we find them.

Remember that this is as much of a learning curve for the admins as it is for all of you.

Thanks,
Annette

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
This new look will indeed take a bit of getting used to.

One problem I am having is that the site no longer seems to be color-coding links to indicate which links I have looked at and which ones I have not. (In the past, unviewed links were in orange and viewed ones were in a dark blue/light purple color.) I found that color coding extremely useful to be able to see at a glance if there were anything new on the MB,

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, so I'm wondering if it is just me. I didn't see any preference to set to change this behaviour. Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The TOCs? If there is a linking problem that will be up to the author, or whomever is in charge of keeping the TOC updated for that particular story.

I guess that's me, then. As I've had to do the majority of them over the years when authors didn't. Okay, anyone spotting a link needing fixed can report them to me either by PM or by email at dklabrat@gmail.com.

Be warned though, fixing may be a slow process. I'll get to them as I'm able.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 07:35 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
When I tried to reregister for the nfic section by clicking the link provided for the request form, I got this UBB message: File not found: scripts/http.inc.php

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just tried searching for one of my older stories (That Old Clone of Mine) to see whether it was still there. It didn't come up in the search. I searched the fanfic folder for anything older than a day that had "Clone" in the subject line. I also searched for my name under "Display Name Search." Neither one returned the story. The "Display Name Search" in fact returned far fewer results than it should have.

Have the older posts not yet been restored?

Thanks,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by LabRat

I guess that's me, then. As I've had to do the majority of them over the years when authors didn't. Okay, anyone spotting a link needing fixed can report them to me either by PM or by email at dklabrat@gmail.com.

Be warned though, fixing may be a slow process. I'll get to them as I'm able.

LabRat smile

Thanks Lab. I'm going to make sure all mine are correct. But I don't envy you the job of looking after all the ones you created on behalf of authors, or when the author has long gone, or even when the author just can't be bothered.

*hugs*

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, try removing all time restrictions on the search form. The default is just one year.

Michael

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Michael,

Thanks, Michael. That did the trick. I had removed the "Newer than" restriction and I made the old restriction "Older than one day." Since the search had returned some things, I had assumed that the original post dates had been preserved with the restore. Part of the problem, I think, is that the new search will return a maximum of 300 *posts* (the old search returned entire threads rather than individual posts), and that story had been crowded out by newer posts.

I guess this is a feature, not a bug, then.

Joy,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Is there a way to open up the editing function in the TOC forums so LabRat can get help with updating links?

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by amciotola
Please bear with us. Keep a list of what you see that is different.

Later on today I'll set up a ticketing system where you can go and enter what issues you see, individually. This will give us a chance to address things or explain things. Then we can check things off as they are fixed.

Just had a thought. What about a new forum for Technical support? I've seen similar on other boards. And we could work through all these problems there. And then it will be available in the future when something happens, or a new person arrives who can't figure something out.

KatherineKent/Victoria
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
I noticed that not only has the Blue Arrow for new story parts has disappeared, but that it's no longer an option.

The Zoomway board appears to be using the same software that we are now. On that board, they use the yellow-exclamation-point-in-a-red-multipoint-star (the posting icon I am using for this post) to serve the same function.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mozartmaid: I've addressed this one on the other thread. Until it's fixed, if anyone wants access then PM me or email me at dklabrat@gmail.com. Meanwhile, I'll go get you access now.

Katherine: Here, we usually use the How To forum for that kind of thing. So if you want to post in there, have at it. wink

Lynn: Looks like a problem solved! Also, it's cute!

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 08:32 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just noticed a couple of things.

1, We seem to have lost our customised LNC FAQs that was top right on the old mbs.

2. Is it just me or are only some posters' avatars showing up? I thought at first only admins' avatars were there, but Katherine's seems fine.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 08:57 AM.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mozartmaid: I've addressed this one on the other thread. Until it's fixed, if anyone wants access then PM me or email me at dklabrat@gmail.com. Meanwhile, I'll go get you access now.

I posted a link that worked for the nFC request page in the nFC access does not work thread and noticed the color of the link text being only slightly different than the normal text. I suspect the new color scheme of the site is causing this but I would prefer to be able to distinctly see the difference between text and link text. It is probably my old eyes...

Example
New Link to nFC Request Page

I also love the less cumbersome quoting scheme. No more QB blocks.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Mike.

I agree, the colour is prone to be missed. Something to be added to the fix list, I think. Hopefully, it's fixable.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 09:41 AM.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just getting back to the boards now. I apologise - I had absolutely no idea that people couldn't reply to my announcement post! I also made it a 'global' announcement, in that it appears in every forum - and just now I tried to remove the global part and just feature it here, but I couldn't find a way to do it. Just another thing to figure out!

Some people have sent me PMs about nfic access: I am not the person who takes care of this, so please watch this space, and in particular posts from LabRat, for further information.

It looks like it's going to take a LONG time to get everything fixed here, and Annette is only one person, who - like everyone else - has other commitments in her life, so I'll reiterate the advice to be patient smile Same goes for LabRat with TOCs and nfic access. I bet all the issues that aren't running as we expect just yet wasn't exactly the birthday present Annette was looking for yesterday! frown

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I saw a work-around for the problem of not having different colors for read vs. unread links. When one is on the home page, one can see which folders have had changes made to them since last viewing by looking at the notepad to the left of the folder name. If it is yellow and has a pencil on it, there have been change; if it is pencilless and greyed out, it has no changes. Similarly, unread threads within a folder have a yellow folder to their left.

I would still prefer to have color-coded links the way we used to, but at least there is a way to see quickly whether there is anything new.

As Virginia said, it will take a while to get used to the new appearance.

My thanks to all who are working so hard behind the scenes to get the MB up and running again.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The whole color, fontsizes, etc thing. There's an option to select a theme in the user profile, containing also a custom LnC profile. That tells the Jimmys amongst us that the whole look and feel can be customized. One just has to sit down and do the CSS stuff and then have our trusty admins upload it to the system.

I'd certainly be willing to pitch in there.

Good to know about the links. I'll be doing my TOCs, then. Too bad about custom bookmark collections, etc, though frown And I guess the links within one's story will also be a victim, then. We so need a custom board extension for multi-part stories whistle

wave Michael

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Mike.

I agree, the colour is prone to be missed. Something to be added to the fix list, I think. Hopefully, it's fixable.

LabRat smile

It should be a CSS modification but it does seem to be Board wide so..

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I just tried searching for one of my older stories (That Old Clone of Mine) to see whether it was still there. It didn't come up in the search. I searched the fanfic folder for anything older than a day that had "Clone" in the subject line. I also searched for my name under "Display Name Search." Neither one returned the story. The "Display Name Search" in fact returned far fewer results than it should have.

Have the older posts not yet been restored?

Thanks,
Lynn

I'm wondering if there is a technical issue... When I saw your post, I went into the TOCs and manually scrolled through until I saw one of my stories. I then tried to search it several ways ('Courage') and it never came up. So your story may be there, Lynn, but I'm not sure the search engine is working properly. Any ideas, guys?

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I was able to see my story when I removed ALL time restrictions, per Michael's suggestion. I had been searching for anything older than one year. And even though that story is far older than that, it hadn't shown up. But when I didn't have any age restrictions at all and when I searched for the word "Clone" in the subject line, it did show up.

I guess it will take a while to get used to the board's idiosyncracies. <Insert old huh graemlin here>

Joy,
Lynn

p.s.: Weird. I hadn't seen any graemlin list, but I just typed : huh : (without the spaces) and saw that that did invoke the relevant graemlin. Interesting. Upon closer inspection, I see that the first item in the formatting toolbar available in full reply mode does give one access to the old graemlins. I guess this just illustrates my point that the new version of the MB will take a little getting used to.

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 04/27/14 12:41 PM.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Some of the links in the TOCs don't work. I was looking at the TOC for my story 'Terrible Teen Paranormal Romance: L&C Style', and the links to both the story and the comments just took me back to the forums. I did a search and fixed that, but the issue may exist with other stories, too. Also, I had to change the URL of the link to the story TOC in all of the FDK threads for 'Panem'.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just to let you know that I tried to re-register for nfic, but the link just took me back to the same page I was on.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn said
I hadn't seen any graemlin list

I had the same problem, then I noticed the default for a reply is "Quick Reply" - which doesn't have the graemlins or the buttons to click for "Bold" "Quote" etc.

If you click on "Switch to Full Reply Screen" (down at the bottom next to Submit & Preview buttons) you can see the graemlins and other stuff. smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Vicki, you now have nfic access.

Annie, the TOC issue was flagged up earlier. Any broken links are going to have to be fixed by whoever began the TOC thread. If it was me, send me a list at dklabrat@gmail.com and I'll get to fixing them as soon as I'm able.

LabReat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/27/14 12:57 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.
Some of the links in the TOCs don't work. I was looking at the TOC for my story 'Terrible Teen Paranormal Romance: L&C Style', and the links to both the story and the comments just took me back to the forums. I did a search and fixed that, but the issue may exist with other stories, too. Also, I had to change the URL of the link to the story TOC in all of the FDK threads for 'Panem'.
Hi Annie!

Yeah, some old links no longer work. Nobody knows why. Labby said she'd work on fixing them manually in the TOCs. But I'm sure she'd appreciate everyone fixing the links in TOCs they created themselves smile1

wave Michael

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Vicki,

I had been in full reply mode; I just hadn't at first paid any attention to the formatting toolbar (where the graemlins are); as I indicated in the p.s. (edited) version of my post, I did eventually figure it out.

Thanks,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette has just mailed the link to a ticketing system for reporting issues. I've stickied the post to the top of this forum.

To be fixed an issue MUST be entered into this system.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Re. helping LabRat with TOCs - if you don't have access to edit TOCs yourself, but were willing to gather links to fix a specific TOC, I'm sure LabRat would really appreciate it, as all she'd have to do is enter them in the TOC post.

I like the fact that people are posting about things they like about the new boards, and features and workarounds they're discovering. How about posting these in How-To? Here's a thread for them.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll edit my own TOCs, Labrat, because it would take you 100 years just to do my epics alone. lol

As anyone whose taken a gander at my TOC pages, you'll see I tend to put in a bunch of extras in them (like author notes, disclaimers, notes to the Reader, etc.). I hope you don't mind but to help me organize my TOCs I'm going to create a "TOCs for VirginiaR's stories" folder and put all my TOCs in there for ease of access to me while I fix all the broken links (as I imagine this will be a long process). I will also add a link to the Archived version of each story for Readers to access in the meantime. All my stories, with the exception of my current Wrong Clark WIP, are already on the Archives.

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia,

I have finally found something that at least mostly works for searching. I tried to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark and after quite a bit trial and error I found the Search string of

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

searching Subject only gets all of the Wrong Clark original posts plus one that I could not figure out how to get rid of.

Hope this might help some.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Virginia,

I have finally found something that at least mostly works for searching. I tried to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark and after quite a bit trial and error I found the Search string of

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

searching Subject only gets all of the Wrong Clark original posts plus one that I could not figure out how to get rid of.

Hope this might help some.

Mike
Wow, thanks, Mike. That will be a lot of help as I'm tracking down my old Parts. It's taken me about 1/2 hour to fix about five posts, because I have so many links (to TOC, to comments, to previous parts, etc) within each one. I'd rather have more work for me and less work for my readers, though. Anything which makes reading my monster epic easier for the reader, the better.

I've already added links to the Archived version of my stories within the TOCs and links to the TOCs within my TOC for All VirginiaR's TOCs thread. It'll be a lot of work fixing all the broken threads, but hopefully this will keep anyone wanting to read my stories happy in the meantime. Luckily, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was able to organize the TOC thread by poster, which simplified things for me (and probably Wendy, but nobody else. smile ) Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, thanks, Mike. That will be a lot of help as I'm tracking down my old Parts. It's taken me about 1/2 hour to fix about five posts, because I have so many links (to TOC, to comments, to previous parts, etc) within each one. I'd rather have more work for me and less work for my readers, though. Anything which makes reading my monster epic easier for the reader, the better.

I've already added links to the Archived version of my stories within the TOCs and links to the TOCs within my TOC for All VirginiaR's TOCs thread. It'll be a lot of work fixing all the broken threads, but hopefully this will keep anyone wanting to read my stories happy in the meantime. Luckily, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was able to organize the TOC thread by poster, which simplified things for me (and probably Wendy, but nobody else. smile ) Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

Sorry but have been working on something else but the string for the Original FDK Postings is:

+"FDK - Wrong Clark (" -"Re: FDK - Wrong Clark"

It gets all 169 original comment posts for you to add to the TOCs. Anything I can do to help you with the other monsters let me know and I will try.

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Wendymr
Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability.

Wendy smile

You are referring to the links in the body of the posts, or others?

The issue I'm having is that the date and the name of the person I'm replying to are blue on blue in the row banner at the top of my post. I cannot see it without highlighting it so it's a different color. Is that part of what's being addressed?

Also, can we please set a standard for what the posting icons should be for posting a story part on the fanfic/nfanfic topics? I see a few that are using the exclamation point (which, if we can't have the arrow back, would be my choice) but there are a variety of icons being used.

Can we make the QUOTE block wider, too? Maybe size it in relation to the page width? You can see (above) it now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote.

Thanks....!

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by Kismatt

I had actually been referring to the links in the topic lists and folders list that take one to an individual post. What I dislike about those links is that they are no longer colour-coded to let one know whether or not the link has been followed (read). I am starting to get used to the way the board now shows the read vs. unread messages, so my complaint isn't as strong as it had been. That colour-coding would still be nice, but it isn't necessary.

I agree that the other links mentioned would be better served in brighter colours.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Originally Posted by Wendy
I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability

The issue I'm having is that the date and the name of the person I'm replying to are blue on blue in the row banner at the top of my post. I cannot see it without highlighting it so it's a different color. Is that part of what's being addressed
If we change the bars where the Subject line is back to its former red, then the blue font would pop more and be easier to read. I, personally, miss the red bars. Bringing them back would make this new site feel more like home. Right now, it feels as if our historic apartment building we used to call home has burned down. We've moved as much as we can into this new condo, which we all admit has great amenities, but it's just missing that little touch of home.

I had actually been referring to the links in the topic lists and folders list that take one to an individual post. What I dislike about those links is that they are no longer colour-coded to let one know whether or not the link has been followed (read). I am starting to get used to the way the board now shows the read vs. unread messages, so my complaint isn't as strong as it had been. That colour-coding would still be nice, but it isn't necessary.

I agree that the other links mentioned would be better served in brighter colours.
Lynn, if the imbedded links colors change wouldn't it also change those links? Usually once you click on a link it changes color to shown you've looked at it already, doesn't it?

Also, can we please set a standard for what the posting icons should be for posting a story part on the fanfic/nfanfic topics? I see a few that are using the exclamation point (which, if we can't have the arrow back, would be my choice) but there are a variety of icons being used.
KatherineKent suggested in another post:

Bang! Exclamation Point: for Story Posts
Thumbsup: for FDK-threads
Lightbulbs: for either TOC or Challenges (we're still debating this one).

I've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Can we make the QUOTE block wider, too? Maybe size it in relation to the page width? You can see (above) it now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote.
I've switched to quoting in lines (see above) instead of quote inside a quote inside a quote, which helps this a tiny bit. But I agree, Kismatt, that should be addressed. Very annoying. You should write up a ticket for that.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 11:15 AM.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's already a ticket for the quotes smile
Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael
Are you sure, Michael? It isn't listed on the Known Issues with Boards thread. (Just double-checked.)

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else miss that when typing anything other than a "quick reply/quote" we can't see other people's previous replies?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 11:44 AM. Reason: Darn contractions :grumble:

VirginiaR.
---
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Michael
Are you sure, Michael? It isn't listed on the Known Issues with Boards thread. (Just double-checked.)

It may not be on the known issues list yet because I think it's just Wendy (and maybe LabRat) updating that post. Today's a busy work and errand day for me, otherwise I'd pitch in.

I'm a little disoriented, too! Just bear with us. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Actually, it never occured to me. I did put in a ticket about the LNC FAQ being missing and was delighted to see it back just now, but that's the FAQ we had before the upgrade. I guess from the backup.

I guess it IS well past time it was gone through - I don't think it's been updated since it was first installed. shock So, yes, I'll put it on my to do list. Might even start a new thread later in the week, see if there are any suggestions for things to add/change in there. Once I open it up and dust off the cobwebs. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think it's just Wendy (and maybe LabRat) updating that post.

Just Wendy, I think. LabRat had reluctantly gone to bed by this point! laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, weird thing is happening. On those last two posts, when I hit submit, I got a message "Post already exists". Then I checked here and it's been posted. So that's okay. Not a huge deal. Important thing is the post isn't lost after all that typing. But has this happened to anyone else? Not sure it's worth a ticket.

ETA: And - typically - it didn't occur on this post so.... huh

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:06 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Actually, it never occured to me. I did put in a ticket about the LNC FAQ being missing and was delighted to see it back just now, but that's the FAQ we had before the upgrade. I guess from the backup.

I guess it IS well past time it was gone through - I don't think it's been updated since it was first installed. shock So, yes, I'll put it on my to do list. Might even start a new thread later in the week, see if there are any suggestions for things to add/change in there. Once I open it up and dust off the cobwebs. goofy
The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff. /really hate using the word "stuff" to describe "stuff" lol /

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 12:08 PM.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, weird thing is happening. On those last two posts, when I hit submit, I got a message "Post already exists". Then I checked here and it's been posted. So that's okay. Not a huge deal. Important thing is the post isn't lost after all that typing. But has this happened to anyone else? Not sure it's worth a ticket.

ETA: And - typically - it didn't occur on this post so.... huh

LabRat smile
That hasn't happened to me, but it's a great thing that the board is catching double posts, so you don't have to deal with them. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, it wasn't a double post. I hadn't touched the submit button previously. I know that because it was hidden under the Nexus keyboard. So it was only hit once.

ETA: LOL, it's messing with me. laugh This time it did do a double post, despite me only hitting submit once. Then, when I deleted the extra post, it said it was returning me to the forum and I ended up in Fanfic!! shock oh, well, guess in half an hour it'll be working fine again.

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:24 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff.

Yes, I'm aware. wink It was the LNC FAQ I was referring to in my reply to you.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:30 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else miss that when typing anything other than a "quick reply/quote" we can't see other people's previous replies?
yeah, am sure. Got the confirmation mail in my inbox smile

re replies: try shift+click, should open new window for reply.
Apparently, that no longer works frown

Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 04/28/14 12:52 PM. Reason: learned more stuff...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's on the Known Issues list now smile Sorry - I was at work and didn't have posting access to the boards, so couldn't update it. Not too many of the mods have permissions that include editing posts in forums they don't moderate.

I've updated that post for everything I noticed in the Known Issues thread as of two minutes ago.

Wendy smile

Michael

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure whether this went back up after you posted, but the L&C-specific FAQs is linked again - see the panel at the top of the front page. I think this may have been the amazing Elena's work.

Wendy smile

The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff. /really hate using the word "stuff" to describe "stuff" lol /

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Wendymr
I'm not sure whether this went back up after you posted, but the L&C-specific FAQs is linked again - see the panel at the top of the front page. I think this may have been the amazing Elena's work.
party Looks great! thumbsup Thank you.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just out of curiosity, what do the "flames" in the forum index represent? (I don't know how to do screen shots, otherwise I would show them.) ShayneT has a couple next to his Homecoming story (Parts 11 & 12). I would think it meant that it's gotten over 100 or 150 views, except on the FanFic Related forum, it's showing up on threads with only 30 posts/views.

Correction: ShayneT has Flames for some of his posts with over 150 views, but not ALL of them (with that many views). It seems a bit random.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/01/14 02:02 PM. Reason: Correction

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I can't seem to find it now, but I read somewhere that they appear when a thread has over 25 replies or 150 views. For the programmers among us, the "or" is an inclusive or.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., I just figured out where I saw that: If you hover over one of the flames, a screen tip will provide the explanation.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Lynn. I didn't even try that. blush

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just came across something else that is new -- I'm not sure whether to consider it a bug or a feature.

I follow my own FDK threads, and this morning I saw that I had had three new responses to two of my stories. A closer look, however, revealed that all three were spam. On the positive side, the spam posts never actually made it to the boards :), but on the negative side, they did all wind up in my e-mail inbox grumble.

At this point, the spams aren't a big enough nuisance to warrant writing up a ticket for, but I thought I'd pass this tidbit along to anyone interested.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, raise a ticket for this. The registration is open now but new members still need to be manually approved. We're hoping this doesn't open us up to spam, but if it becomes an issue, obviously we'll need to think about closing the regs down again. frown But we're still feeling our way through the new process.

Also, send me a copy of the spam emails you received, will you? It may help us figure out where we need to make changes to the process. Thanks.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello LabRat,

I just forwarded the three e-mails to you. I'll write up a ticket when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Lynn

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I just stumbled upon another feature of the board, one which others might find useful as well. In the process of gathering information for a problem with the board (for which I just wrote up a ticket), I had reason to go to my profile. I noticed a link in it which said, "Show User's Posts." Sure enough, it listed all 50 pages(!) worth of links to my various posts. Out of curiosity, I tried looking at another person's profile and was able to see all of her posts, as well.

One use I can immediately think of for this is that if you wish to find all of the stories of a favourite author, you could display all of their posts. (Of course, if your favourite author happens to be Virginia, you will be looking at a *lot* of links...)

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just stumbled upon another feature of the board, one which others might find useful as well. In the process of gathering information for a problem with the board (for which I just wrote up a ticket), I had reason to go to my profile. I noticed a link in it which said, "Show User's Posts." Sure enough, it listed all 50 pages(!) worth of links to my various posts. Out of curiosity, I tried looking at another person's profile and was able to see all of her posts, as well.
Ooooooh. Handy! Thanks! clap

One use I can immediately think of for this is that if you wish to find all of the stories of a favourite author, you could display all of their posts. (Of course, if your favourite author happens to be Virginia, you will be looking at a *lot* of links...)
I have no idea to what you might be referring. [Linked Image] It only showed 294 pages of posts for me.

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
It only showed 294 pages of posts for me.

That does seem low. You should have that many for Wrong Clark alone...

Mike

Jeremy Bentham

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard