Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia,

I have finally found something that at least mostly works for searching. I tried to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark and after quite a bit trial and error I found the Search string of

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

searching Subject only gets all of the Wrong Clark original posts plus one that I could not figure out how to get rid of.

Hope this might help some.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Virginia,

I have finally found something that at least mostly works for searching. I tried to find all of the original story posts for Wrong Clark and after quite a bit trial and error I found the Search string of

+"Wrong Clark (" -"FDK - Wrong Clark" -"Re: Wrong Clark"

searching Subject only gets all of the Wrong Clark original posts plus one that I could not figure out how to get rid of.

Hope this might help some.

Mike
Wow, thanks, Mike. That will be a lot of help as I'm tracking down my old Parts. It's taken me about 1/2 hour to fix about five posts, because I have so many links (to TOC, to comments, to previous parts, etc) within each one. I'd rather have more work for me and less work for my readers, though. Anything which makes reading my monster epic easier for the reader, the better.

I've already added links to the Archived version of my stories within the TOCs and links to the TOCs within my TOC for All VirginiaR's TOCs thread. It'll be a lot of work fixing all the broken threads, but hopefully this will keep anyone wanting to read my stories happy in the meantime. Luckily, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was able to organize the TOC thread by poster, which simplified things for me (and probably Wendy, but nobody else. smile ) Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Wow, thanks, Mike. That will be a lot of help as I'm tracking down my old Parts. It's taken me about 1/2 hour to fix about five posts, because I have so many links (to TOC, to comments, to previous parts, etc) within each one. I'd rather have more work for me and less work for my readers, though. Anything which makes reading my monster epic easier for the reader, the better.

I've already added links to the Archived version of my stories within the TOCs and links to the TOCs within my TOC for All VirginiaR's TOCs thread. It'll be a lot of work fixing all the broken threads, but hopefully this will keep anyone wanting to read my stories happy in the meantime. Luckily, my name is at the end of the alphabet and I was able to organize the TOC thread by poster, which simplified things for me (and probably Wendy, but nobody else. smile ) Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

Sorry but have been working on something else but the string for the Original FDK Postings is:

+"FDK - Wrong Clark (" -"Re: FDK - Wrong Clark"

It gets all 169 original comment posts for you to add to the TOCs. Anything I can do to help you with the other monsters let me know and I will try.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally Posted by Wendymr
Changing to a brighter color what the Links look like would help too. I think Lynn has already requested that change on the other thread.

I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability.

Wendy smile

You are referring to the links in the body of the posts, or others?

The issue I'm having is that the date and the name of the person I'm replying to are blue on blue in the row banner at the top of my post. I cannot see it without highlighting it so it's a different color. Is that part of what's being addressed?

Also, can we please set a standard for what the posting icons should be for posting a story part on the fanfic/nfanfic topics? I see a few that are using the exclamation point (which, if we can't have the arrow back, would be my choice) but there are a variety of icons being used.

Can we make the QUOTE block wider, too? Maybe size it in relation to the page width? You can see (above) it now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote.

Thanks....!

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally Posted by Kismatt

I had actually been referring to the links in the topic lists and folders list that take one to an individual post. What I dislike about those links is that they are no longer colour-coded to let one know whether or not the link has been followed (read). I am starting to get used to the way the board now shows the read vs. unread messages, so my complaint isn't as strong as it had been. That colour-coding would still be nice, but it isn't necessary.

I agree that the other links mentioned would be better served in brighter colours.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Originally Posted by Wendy
I agree that this would be a LOT easier; however, I've been scouring the control panel and can't find any settings related to text colour, which is frustrating. frown Annette is busy working on more important consequences of the upgrade, so it may be a few days before she can take a look at this. I do agree that it would be a huge improvement to usability

The issue I'm having is that the date and the name of the person I'm replying to are blue on blue in the row banner at the top of my post. I cannot see it without highlighting it so it's a different color. Is that part of what's being addressed
If we change the bars where the Subject line is back to its former red, then the blue font would pop more and be easier to read. I, personally, miss the red bars. Bringing them back would make this new site feel more like home. Right now, it feels as if our historic apartment building we used to call home has burned down. We've moved as much as we can into this new condo, which we all admit has great amenities, but it's just missing that little touch of home.

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I had actually been referring to the links in the topic lists and folders list that take one to an individual post. What I dislike about those links is that they are no longer colour-coded to let one know whether or not the link has been followed (read). I am starting to get used to the way the board now shows the read vs. unread messages, so my complaint isn't as strong as it had been. That colour-coding would still be nice, but it isn't necessary.

I agree that the other links mentioned would be better served in brighter colours.
Lynn, if the imbedded links colors change wouldn't it also change those links? Usually once you click on a link it changes color to shown you've looked at it already, doesn't it?

Also, can we please set a standard for what the posting icons should be for posting a story part on the fanfic/nfanfic topics? I see a few that are using the exclamation point (which, if we can't have the arrow back, would be my choice) but there are a variety of icons being used.
KatherineKent suggested in another post:

Bang! Exclamation Point: for Story Posts
Thumbsup: for FDK-threads
Lightbulbs: for either TOC or Challenges (we're still debating this one).

I've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Can we make the QUOTE block wider, too? Maybe size it in relation to the page width? You can see (above) it now has a horizontal scroll bar if there is more than one quote.
I've switched to quoting in lines (see above) instead of quote inside a quote inside a quote, which helps this a tiny bit. But I agree, Kismatt, that should be addressed. Very annoying. You should write up a ticket for that.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 11:15 AM.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's already a ticket for the quotes smile
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Michael
Are you sure, Michael? It isn't listed on the Known Issues with Boards thread. (Just double-checked.)

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else miss that when typing anything other than a "quick reply/quote" we can't see other people's previous replies?

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 11:44 AM. Reason: Darn contractions :grumble:

VirginiaR.
---
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Michael
Are you sure, Michael? It isn't listed on the Known Issues with Boards thread. (Just double-checked.)

It may not be on the known issues list yet because I think it's just Wendy (and maybe LabRat) updating that post. Today's a busy work and errand day for me, otherwise I'd pitch in.

I'm a little disoriented, too! Just bear with us. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Actually, it never occured to me. I did put in a ticket about the LNC FAQ being missing and was delighted to see it back just now, but that's the FAQ we had before the upgrade. I guess from the backup.

I guess it IS well past time it was gone through - I don't think it's been updated since it was first installed. shock So, yes, I'll put it on my to do list. Might even start a new thread later in the week, see if there are any suggestions for things to add/change in there. Once I open it up and dust off the cobwebs. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think it's just Wendy (and maybe LabRat) updating that post.

Just Wendy, I think. LabRat had reluctantly gone to bed by this point! laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, weird thing is happening. On those last two posts, when I hit submit, I got a message "Post already exists". Then I checked here and it's been posted. So that's okay. Not a huge deal. Important thing is the post isn't lost after all that typing. But has this happened to anyone else? Not sure it's worth a ticket.

ETA: And - typically - it didn't occur on this post so.... huh

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:06 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've started using the first two when going back through my stories. I'm guessing when the new LnC FAQ gets up and running this will be formalized. I believe LabRat is working on those.

Originally Posted by LabRat
Actually, it never occured to me. I did put in a ticket about the LNC FAQ being missing and was delighted to see it back just now, but that's the FAQ we had before the upgrade. I guess from the backup.

I guess it IS well past time it was gone through - I don't think it's been updated since it was first installed. shock So, yes, I'll put it on my to do list. Might even start a new thread later in the week, see if there are any suggestions for things to add/change in there. Once I open it up and dust off the cobwebs. goofy
The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff. /really hate using the word "stuff" to describe "stuff" lol /

Last edited by VirginiaR; 04/28/14 12:08 PM.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, weird thing is happening. On those last two posts, when I hit submit, I got a message "Post already exists". Then I checked here and it's been posted. So that's okay. Not a huge deal. Important thing is the post isn't lost after all that typing. But has this happened to anyone else? Not sure it's worth a ticket.

ETA: And - typically - it didn't occur on this post so.... huh

LabRat smile
That hasn't happened to me, but it's a great thing that the board is catching double posts, so you don't have to deal with them. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, it wasn't a double post. I hadn't touched the submit button previously. I know that because it was hidden under the Nexus keyboard. So it was only hit once.

ETA: LOL, it's messing with me. laugh This time it did do a double post, despite me only hitting submit once. Then, when I deleted the extra post, it said it was returning me to the forum and I ended up in Fanfic!! shock oh, well, guess in half an hour it'll be working fine again.

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:24 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff.

Yes, I'm aware. wink It was the LNC FAQ I was referring to in my reply to you.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 04/28/14 12:30 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else miss that when typing anything other than a "quick reply/quote" we can't see other people's previous replies?
yeah, am sure. Got the confirmation mail in my inbox smile

re replies: try shift+click, should open new window for reply.
Apparently, that no longer works frown

Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 04/28/14 12:52 PM. Reason: learned more stuff...

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's on the Known Issues list now smile Sorry - I was at work and didn't have posting access to the boards, so couldn't update it. Not too many of the mods have permissions that include editing posts in forums they don't moderate.

I've updated that post for everything I noticed in the Known Issues thread as of two minutes ago.

Wendy smile

Michael

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure whether this went back up after you posted, but the L&C-specific FAQs is linked again - see the panel at the top of the front page. I think this may have been the amazing Elena's work.

Wendy smile

The FAQ I was referring to was the LnC FAQ which isn't showing up. The FAQ listed above (next to Search) is for generic message board stuff, not LnC Boards stuff. /really hate using the word "stuff" to describe "stuff" lol /

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard