Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
M
I read Lois Lane #1 last night. It was ok, but not great. My complaints about it are mostly the same complaints I have about much of the newer comics I read, though, so maybe people just like stories that are presented that way.

First off, we get a page that's set some unspecified time in the past, then a page in the present, then a page that happened an hour ago. I can't stand it when stories jump around like that.

My second complaint was that it looked like Lois was on the couch with Lucy, so I ended up reading the first few pages through several times to figure out how she could be at Lucy's an hour ago but just be waking up in her own bed now. The brunette on the couch wasn't identified for several pages.

The other thing that bothered me was that I spent most of the comic trying to figure out what was going on. I realize that in some respects it's supposed to be a mystery, but it came off as just confusing instead. Some of the panels aren't laid out well enough so that it's not immediately clear what's going on, either. I had to go back several times and re-read pages because the next page had enough context to figure out what was trying to be conveyed by the art on the previous page. It was frustrating.

A couple of times I also got the feeling that the comic was referring to current New 52 stuff that I'm not familiar with. For any random issue, that's what I would expect, but this is a one-shot and should be more self-contained. DC really has a problem lately writing stories that new readers can jump into and enjoy, which is weird because that was supposed to be one of the ideas behind the New 52 revamp to begin with. I don't want to have to be current on all the titles to be able to understand a one-off story.

I hope this one-off is successful, since I'd like to see Lois get her own title, but if it gets picked up and is more of the same, I probably won't read it.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
I bought it a day or two after it was released, but I didn't get around to reading it until this morning. I agree with all of the points you made about the problems with the comic. That said, I did enjoy it. I just didn't think it was as spectacular as it could have been. If it does become an ongoing title, though, I'd definitely be willing to buy more issues. I think there is a lot of potential for great stories involving the character of Lois Lane.

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard