Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Has anybody else seen this animated film? I enjoyed it quite a bit. Then again, I haven't read "The Death of Superman," which it was loosely based on, and I have heard some fans complain that it didn't live up to its source material. Still, though, to be fair, very few things do live up to their source material.

I was a little surprised the first time I watched it due to all of the killing. It didn't bother me since I know that killing is sort of to be expected from a villain like Doomsday, but I guess I expected the violence to be kept to a minimum for any kids that may be watching. I suppose that one of the benefits of doing a direct-to-DVD film is that you can get away with showing more violence than you can in a Saturday morning cartoon.

I really liked that Lois had a pretty big role in the movie. Anne Heche wasn't as good of a voice actress as Dana Delany was in "Superman: The Animated Series," but she did a decent job. I thought it was nice that Lois was able to figure out that Clark was Superman, and I enjoyed seeing her and Superman in a relationship, even if it felt a little awkward to me at first that she was in a relationship with Superman instead of Clark. I also thought her and the other characters grieving over Superman's death made for a compelling story.

Overall, it was a really good film. The voice actors all did a solid job, and the animation was pretty good, too.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw it. I thought it was pretty good. I liked some parts better than the source material, and for other parts I thought the source material was better. Overall, it was definitely worth watching.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have seen it. I have the DVD and have watched it more than once. There's a lot of violence and in some parts even I would cringe at the brutality of the scenes, but even so I liked it enough to watch it again. It's not a film for children. Here in Brazil it was not recommended to children under 10 years old but I think the rating should be still higher due to the violence. sad I read the comics and it was a blood bath, too. I consider it as a film for adult viewing.

I, too, found it odd that Lois would be in a (sexual) relationship with Superman instead of Clark, but after it got clear that she knew his true identity I could accept it.

I really liked Lois. I think she was very true to the character as an intrepid and intelligent reporter and all her actions were very believable and spot-on. Her speaking to Jimmy: "Oh, for God sake! Don't be such a girl!" is very Lois.

The scene where she searches Martha because nobody is able to understand what she is feeling is very moving:
Lois Lane: Mrs. Kent, you know as well as I do that your son died in Metropolis last week. Look, I'm not here as a reporter. I...

Martha Kent: Then why are you here, Miss Lane?

Lois Lane: I don't know exactly. Maybe it's just... I don't know if he told you but we have been seeing each other for the past few months, romantically, I mean. And I know the rest of the world adored him and misses him now that he's gone, but no one else on this whole stupid planet can know what it felt like to really love him, to be loved by him or how it feels now every minute of every day, like I'm broken. Like I'm the one that freaking monster pounded on.
Lex was very well written, too. He was sagacious, evil to the bone and had some of the best quotes of the movie.

As with MoS, I could do with less violence, but the movie is good enough that I can overlook it.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
It's been a while since I watched this one. It's PG-13 here in the States, as are most of the direct-to-video superhero cartoons. I don't particularly remember the violence; in fact the only part I remember distinctly is the scene with Lois and Martha. I really liked that Lois sought her out like that so they could share in their grief. It surprised me, though, that Clark had never mentioned to his mother that he had a girlfriend. Various incarnations of Clark have confided in his parents to varying degrees, if they're even around, but I'd think that if he was in contact with his mother at all he would mention to her that he was in a serious relationship.

As far as the source material goes, the Death of Superman is mostly a super-brawl, with most of the Justice League ending up in intensive care. It's an interesting read, as far as it goes, but I think the real gems are the Funeral for a Friend/World Without a Superman and Reign of the Supermen stories that followed it. The first story (which has had two different titles) shows the world's and Superman's friends' reactions to his death, and the second story shows his return. They're well worth the read.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard