Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
I was thinking about how in Man of Steel we learn that Lois had been embedded at one point in the past with a military unit (I am half surprised they did not say either "Afghanistan" or "Iraq" in that line, but I think that is what we were meant to think.)

This is definitely a far cry from Lois in Lois and Clark, where she is a city beat reporter. Is this the first time we have Lois have a background of having been a war correspondent?

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
It's a far cry from LnC Lois but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. It's been a staple of Lois that she would be assigned to out-of-country assignments from time to time in the 1960s and 1970s (mostly in the "Lois Lane: Superman's Girlfriend" or Superman Family books). In fact, Lois was a traveling reporter just before she got married to Clark. The beginning of the Wedding Album has her returning from an assignment to find a non-superpowered Clark.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Actually, IIRC it's not. I'm sure I recall that our very own Lois was just such an embedded war correspondant.

Somewhere on the net (I used to have a copy somewhere but it's long gone, I fear) there is the detail of what those Kerth Awards Lois had in her trophy cabinet were actually for - their inscriptions. Noted down by a fan who had done the tour.

IIRC, one was for an article on sexual harrassment (might even have been sexual harrassment in the miliary, but I'm not 100% on that), another for shadowing the Presidental election campaign...and one for her articles as a war correspondant, embedded with the troops.

I'll have to go see if I can track it down. Must be out there somewhere still, you would imagine...

ETA: Ha! Actually found it courtesy of CarolM in an old thread right here. Oh, we are good. laugh . Here it is:

1991: The Gulf War - On the Front Lines
1992: Inside Bush's Campaign Headquarters
1993: Sexual Harassment in the Military
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by LabRat:

1991: The Gulf War - On the Front Lines
1992: Inside Bush's Campaign Headquarters
1993: Sexual Harassment in the Military
LabRat smile
Looks like some good fodder for more fanfics! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Would be interesting to see just Lois stories for those, no Clark. Of the main cast members Perry is to only one I can think of that would be around. Jimmy started just before Clark, Cat and her don't get along, she hadn't met Lex, maybe Lucy, Star and/or Dr. Friskin.

J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by dcarson:
Would be interesting to see just Lois stories for those, no Clark. Of the main cast members Perry is to only one I can think of that would be around. Jimmy started just before Clark, Cat and her don't get along, she hadn't met Lex, maybe Lucy, Star and/or Dr. Friskin.
Or we could incorporated them into late on when Clark was involved. It would have been nice as to see as they show up to Fort Truman in the episode with Molly someone officer say to Lois, "I liked the articles you wrote while you were embedded with our unit in the gulf".

On the other hand, we might see an officer say "Not Lane again, I just barely cleaned up all the flack from the last time she was here."

John Pack Lambert
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by John Lambert:
On the other hand, we might see an officer say "Not Lane again, I just barely cleaned up all the flack from the last time she was here."
Somehow I think this is much more likely.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
I guess the fact that Lois was a war correspondant is also hinted at in the text of "Lois and Clark". In the pilot when they are about to see a dead Samuel Pratt Lois says, "Don't be silly, I've seen it all, war, crime, famine". I guess she was probably reporting in Somalia just a few months before Clark showed up.

John Pack Lambert
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I guess the fact that Lois was a war correspondant is also hinted at in the text of "Lois and Clark". In the pilot when they are about to see a dead Samuel Pratt Lois says, "Don't be silly, I've seen it all, war, crime, famine". I guess she was probably reporting in Somalia just a few months before Clark showed up.
Well we do know from her comments on the Congo during the Alt-Clark episode that there may have been an assignment that either she went to and either escaped by the skin of her teeth (or a certain someone saved her without her knowing) or she didn't.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
J
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Christina:
[b] I guess the fact that Lois was a war correspondant is also hinted at in the text of "Lois and Clark". In the pilot when they are about to see a dead Samuel Pratt Lois says, "Don't be silly, I've seen it all, war, crime, famine". I guess she was probably reporting in Somalia just a few months before Clark showed up.
Well we do know from her comments on the Congo during the Alt-Clark episode that there may have been an assignment that either she went to and either escaped by the skin of her teeth (or a certain someone saved her without her knowing) or she didn't. [/b]
I've been working on a story where Clark saves Lois in the Congo. the big problem is that I also am trying to make it so that neither of them actually meet there. I am thinking though that since canon never 100% says that Clark never saw Lois before going to the DP, I maybe will give up on the him not meeting her bit.

John Pack Lambert

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard