Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I was having a conversation with VirginiaR about Mxyzptlk (primarily the Byrne forward variety, not the Golden/Silver/Bronze Age one which seemed to be a bit more vindictive) and I thought I might move it to it's own topic post.

In the New52 there is a suggestion that Mxyzptlk was killed (it doesn't mean we won't meet him still, it just means that the version we'd be meeting is a past version of him.) The other thing suggested is that he had created a universe that won him the role as the official court jester in the 5th dimension court and the hand of Ms. Nyxly (his widow in Action #15.)

My speculation is that he created a world where Superman and Lois marry and create a new Golden Age. This world was altered irrevocably when Mxy's nemesis (Vyndtvx) killed Mxy and is (currently) in the process of (trying, will he succeed? We don't know yet) killing Superman.

Now hear me out on this. In the months leading up to Lois and Clark's marriage (in the comics, when they were trying to realign the TV and comics for a special Wedding Album) they had Mxyzptlk show up again. He was shocked that the two of them were actually not engaged (or married) and went on much as a major fan of the pairing might about how great the two of them were together.

Lois was not amused.

Mxy later shows up in the Wedding Album as well to congratulate them on getting married.

After they were married he shows up again (around 2006 or so) to give them a glimpse of what life might be like for them with a biological child (Adventures of Superman #638 for those curious.) It is this story that has given (comicbook) shippers the rally cry "We Live in Hope."

What do people think of Mxy and what do you think that might mean in the future?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That comic of Mxy trying to get Lois and Clark back together is clap Now, that's a Mxy I would enjoy popping up and having fun with Lois and Clark. More fun, than evil, but pathetically not understanding how his "help" is unhelpful.

Maybe the New 52 writers are just giving themselves an "out" if this new reboot doesn't pan out. wink We can live in hope.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
It's possibly worth mentioning that Myxy's girl-friend Ms. Gsptlsnz in the 1990s animated series looks like a VERY attractive human redhead with more than a passing resemblance to comic-book Lana Lang

[Linked Image]

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
It's possibly worth mentioning that Myxy's girl-friend Ms. Gsptlsnz in the 1990s animated series looks like a VERY attractive human redhead with more than a passing resemblance to comic-book Lana Lang

[Linked Image]
According to the DC Wikia, Mrs. Nyxly's full name is Nyxlygsptlnz. Looks like he married her! I think I vaguely remember a silver age comic of their marriage.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Actually, Marcus, she reminds me more of Jessica Rabbit (from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?") than she does of Lana Lang. In fact, I had assumed that she was meant to be an homage to Jessica.

I've enjoyed pretty much all versions of Mxy that I have seen, but the Mxy-as-fanboy version that Christina linked to may be my favourite. Which book, precisely, was it in? I'm strongly tempted to buy Action Comics #15 just based on the page that was cited. I've been leery of The New 52; I have tried a few of the issues and they were not at all to my tastes. But this particular issue looks like a lot of fun.

Has anyone here read the whole issue? Is the rest of it as good?

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Actually, Marcus, she reminds me more of a human version of Jessica Rabbit (from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?") than she does of Lana Lang.

I've enjoyed pretty much all versions of Mxy that I have seen, but the Mxy-as-fanboy version that Christina linked to may be my favourite. Which book, precisely, was it in? I'm strongly tempted to buy Action Comics #15 just based on the page that was cited. I've been leery of The New 52; I have tried a few of the issues and they were not at all to my tastes. But this particular issue looks like a lot of fun.

Has anyone here read the whole issue? Is the rest of it as good?

Joy,
Lynn
The site I linked to said the Mxy fanboy was in Man Of Steel #56.

I'll admit to not owning #15 but after reading enough reviews and seeing panels in it, it's now on my purchase list, more for the Mxy story than the Superman story. Anyone that read it willing to jump in? I know I fell out of reading Action mostly because of Morrison's writing style.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
dizzy Thanks, Christina. The site actually said
After a 7 year absence, Grant Morrison has brought back Mister Mxyzptlk (Mister XXX), this could be good news for Clark and Lois fans. See Man of Steel #56
I took it to mean that the page as included was from the current Grant Morrison issue (Action Comics 15), but that the last reference had been in MoS#56. Based on your comment, I actually went back to look at the MoS issue. (It is one of many that I have purchased but have not yet had the time to read.) I did see the page cited in that issue.

Thanks for the catch.

I am still curious, though, about whether AC#15 is worth purchasing. I enjoy Mxy, and I love Morrison's All Star Superman. I hear his work is hit or miss, though; that his hits are stellar, but his misses abysmal. Does anyone know which AC#15 is?

Thanks,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard