Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
From what I remember of the prequel comic he left on his own without even saying goodbye (either personally or publicly) and just left. There was a little more justification to Kal-El leaving (there were some scientists that produced evidence that Krypton still existed...which was faked by Luthor BTW). Lois figures out he left without telling her when (a month after people begin wondering where is Suoerman) Lois breaks her arm in a fall to prevent getting caught during a stakeout.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
One of the best fanfics I've read is Mr. Beeto's Family Reunion . He makes sense of the events in "SR" - for example, Superman goes off to Krypton because he gets a message that his cousin Kara is there in suspended animation and he has to rescue her before her power runs out. Mr. Beeto works in the "time turning back" theme and manages to get both Zod and Jason into the fic, plausibly.

He also does a great job with Lex Luthor, writing scenes from Lex's POV that show us what a villain Lex is (he's much better than I'm making it sound.) It's a long fic, but well worth your time.

Here's one of his author's notes: "Yes, boys and girls, it's true. There is no amnesia kiss in this universe. That wasn't the only ridiculous thing that Richard Lester put in his version of Superman II, but it has no place in this universe."

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I love Family Reunion. It's a great story.

Somewhere online I saw scenes that were cut out of the beginning of SR that showed Superman looking around the remains of Krypton from his spaceship. It was a bunch of big, crystalline rocks in space that were faintly green. At one point he finds his S carved into the rock face, if I remember correctly. I don't know why they cut it out - it would have made the beginning of the movie make more sense. But I guess that still wouldn't solve the stupid plot problem.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Kerth
Kerth
I think the scene was cut because it was several minutes long, slow moving, and had no dialogue and only one character. Really can't blame them for that, but if it had been me I would have tried to incorporate a few moments as flashbacks.

Another vote here for Family Reunion, another inspiration for the first story of my Supergirl series.

See this thread for a link to the deleted scene and discussion of it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
Originally posted by Shallowford:
[b]
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b] [QUOTE] Krypton didn't have space travel until Jor-El invented it! And even then, all he had time to design was a prototype that would only fit a baby.
Your explanation makes sense. Krypton could have also had space travel but not star travel before the explosion. In that case, I guess there might have been something on another planet in Krypton's system worth investigating. [/b]
Mmm... I don't know about that. First off, I don't know what would have been there to investigate-- the sun went nova. And secondly, having their sun go nova would basically eliminate all of the planets in the system completely. Anywhere that they may have hypothetically travelled wouldn't have made it. Short of them actually being able to travel long distances (which we knoew they weren't) then it was a long shot to have been able to find any such technology. My bet would be that the spaceship was somehow made at the Fortress, but I have no idea how Superman expected anything to be there. Clark should be smarter than that. (Oh wait, this is the same guy who did the memory wipe kiss... huh.) Well, nevermind then. There's a boatload of stuff that doesn't add up about this movie. [/b]
However this is beyond lots of things not adding up. It is more like the basic premise was just dumb. Superman did not have any good reason to go away. Now, if they had thought up a reasonable and logical reason to have Superman gone for 5 years, and preferably one that explained why he had to leave without telling anyone, things would have been better.

Maybe if Clark had realized that he had to leave at that precise moment to stop Zod, and if he did not leave sooner Zod would get to earth, and then since he disabled Zod's hyper-light drive, he was stuck way passed Pluto and on a slow craft coming back after defeating Zod, than it would have worked. The build up they had did not work.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
One of the best fanfics I've read is Mr. Beeto's Family Reunion . He makes sense of the events in "SR" - for example, Superman goes off to Krypton because he gets a message that his cousin Kara is there in suspended animation and he has to rescue her before her power runs out. Mr. Beeto works in the "time turning back" theme and manages to get both Zod and Jason into the fic, plausibly.

He also does a great job with Lex Luthor, writing scenes from Lex's POV that show us what a villain Lex is (he's much better than I'm making it sound.) It's a long fic, but well worth your time.

Here's one of his author's notes: "Yes, boys and girls, it's true. There is no amnesia kiss in this universe. That wasn't the only ridiculous thing that Richard Lester put in his version of Superman II, but it has no place in this universe."
I read that story and have to say I liked it, although I suspect some of the characters were straight from Lois and Clark (although maybe only D.A. Clemons and I think they mentioned Mayson Drake, neither of whom were major characters).

The time reverse was definitely better than the memory-wipe kiss. Saving Kara was a justifiable reason to go back to Krypton. Still the reasons that Superman did not say goodbye to Lois seemed contrived.

John Pack Lambert
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I can take the baby girl reporter, the skinny superman, the whussy Clark, the one night stand even, but Lois, a seasoned icon chasing a story, leaves her cell phone in the car. Who does that??? People leave the kids all the time, but NOT the PHONE.
I wanted to believe, I truly did.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Luthor getting out of prison because Superman was not around to testify would only work if it was his initial criminal trial. Even then, if they did not have enough evidence without Superman testifying they probably did not have a very good case. If they really did need Superman to build there case, it makes even less sense he left for a reason that was not really a good one to begin with.

John Pack Lambert
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard