Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#251692 06/03/13 10:56 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] rotflol Thanks, Virginia! (Although I do agree with the concern over so many big stars-- the only exception was when I was pleasantly surprised by the Avengers.)
As you know as a film major, too many stars tend to sink a boat more than keep it afloat. [/b]
Got that right! I'd rather have complete unknowns than an all-star cast. They can become stars if it's a good movie and they're good enough actors, but don't just cast, say, Tom Cruise and five other big names just because he's a huge star and fits the action/spy film role. /ducks just in case my mom ever finds out I wrote anything bad about Tom Cruise/ peep

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#251693 06/03/13 05:01 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
[b]
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] laugh That's how I always feel. Keep your expectations low and you'll either be pleasantly surprised or at the least not too disappointed. wink But then again, I AM a pessimist, so it might not be the best example...
Whew! I'm not the only one! after I posted I started wondering whether everyone would think I'm nuts for being upset that the latest trailers look good. [/b]
Don't worry. It'll never be movie of the year with Kevin Costner as Pa Kent and Russel Crowe as Jor-El. Too many known stars are sure to sink this film right off the bat. It's going to be Superman playing the Dark Knight meets Field of Dreams bashed in by a Beautiful Mind (or a Gladiator). And you know it! Moreover, Lois isn't a brunette.

Feel ready to watch the film now? wink [/b]
The outrage that Lois is not a brunette. Who comes up with such lousy casting decisions. She always has to be a brunette.

John Pack Lambert
#251694 06/03/13 06:02 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
The outrage that Lois is not a brunette. Who comes up with such lousy casting decisions. She always has to be a brunette.
Well, better that Amy Adams keeps her own hair color than we end up with another horrible dye job as poor Miss Bosworth had in Superman Returns. Her hair looked positively horrible, somewhere between mousey brown and grey, which really looked off on a woman of 23.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#251695 06/03/13 07:58 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I'm skeptical that Amy Adams will be a good Lois Lane because when I see her, all I think of is the princess from Enchanted. I don't think I've seen her in anything else.

And she's not a brunette. But then, it's always bothered me that they never manage to cast a redheaded Jimmy.

Thanks for your critisizms of the movie, Virginia. I'm feeling less optimistic already! laugh Now maybe I can bring myself to go see it, properly expecting the worst.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#251696 06/04/13 01:31 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm skeptical that Amy Adams will be a good Lois Lane because when I see her, all I think of is the princess from Enchanted. I don't think I've seen her in anything else.
Yeah, I hope Amy can do a strong Lois. I've only seen her in romantic comedies, so I don't know how she'll do with such a strong character. I'm holding out judgement until I've seen the film.

And she's not a brunette. But then, it's always bothered me that they never manage to cast a redheaded Jimmy.
She's definitely a red-head. I saw the toys for the new movie today in stores. Yea, I've noticed that about Jimmy too. Are red-haired young actors in that short of supply in Hollywood? huh

Thanks for your critisizms of the movie, Virginia. I'm feeling less optimistic already! [Big Grin] Now maybe I can bring myself to go see it, properly expecting the worst.
laugh Happy to oblige. I'm usually pretty good at finding the glass half-empty. wink

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#251697 06/04/13 01:51 PM
CK Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I want to see it opening weekend but sadly will be at origins that weekend, but defiantly on the books for the week after! smile1

*CK*
#251698 06/04/13 04:07 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by John Lambert:
[b] The outrage that Lois is not a brunette. Who comes up with such lousy casting decisions. She always has to be a brunette.
Well, better that Amy Adams keeps her own hair color than we end up with another horrible dye job as poor Miss Bosworth had in Superman Returns. Her hair looked positively horrible, somewhere between mousey brown and grey, which really looked off on a woman of 23. [/b]
I guess you do have a point. It seems they didn't do anything right in Superman Returns.

John Pack Lambert
#251699 06/05/13 01:17 AM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I found a few clips they've put up recently (one showed up on "Ellen" when Amy Adams was there.) I won't explain what that are as they're spoilers for the movie but I will post their links for those that aren't spoiler-averse.

Clip #1 (from "Ellen")

Clip #2 (from Jimmy Kimmel when Amy Adams was there)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#251700 06/11/13 06:30 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
My husband saw the movie last night (he's got friends with press connections), and I've made him agree not to spoil it for me. He did say, though that, "I didn't hate Lois Lane." This surprised me because not only was he skeptical of Amy Adams playing her, but he also hates Lois as a character.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#251701 06/11/13 06:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My husband saw the movie last night (he's got friends with press connections), and I've made him agree not to spoil it for me. He did say, though that, "I didn't hate Lois Lane." This surprised me because not only was he skeptical of Amy Adams playing her, but he also hates Lois as a character.
So, his friends with press connections couldn't get you a ticket too? That's a shame. frown Good news, I think, about Lois.

VirginiaR.
---
#251702 06/11/13 10:15 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
So, his friends with press connections couldn't get you a ticket too?
He asked, but he couldn't get me a ticket. He was his friend's "plus one." I'll go this weekend, though.

#251703 06/11/13 08:17 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Friday is fast approaching. I'm currently debating whether to go to the Midnight Show Thurs/Fri night, brave the crowds Friday night, or wait until Sunday (my VERY, VERY, VERY last option, which is making me lean towards midnight showing). Of course, school ends here on Thursday afternoon, so I'd be competing with a bunch of high schoolers for tickets, but I figure crowds in my small town will be less at the midnight show than for the evening times on a Friday night (my least favorite time to catch a movie.)

Did you guys know it was coming out in 3-D?

I prefer not to hurl (throw up), so I'm sticking with 2D.

What are your plans?

Christina, did you ever get premiere tickets? Are you still in line? Are you waiting until it comes out before you let us know what you thought, to avoid spoilers? (If so, thank you.)

VirginiaR.
---
#251704 06/11/13 10:07 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Friday is fast approaching. I'm currently debating whether to go to the Midnight Show Thurs/Fri night, brave the crowds Friday night, or wait until Sunday (my VERY, VERY, VERY last option, which is making me lean towards midnight showing). Of course, school ends here on Thursday afternoon, so I'd be competing with a bunch of high schoolers for tickets, but I figure crowds in my small town will be less at the midnight show than for the evening times on a Friday night (my least favorite time to catch a movie.)
I'm going with a big group to the midnight showing. Thursday night is my last class for the quarter (way later than everybody else around here), so I'll be getting home around 9-10 o'clock, getting candy and then heading out. Same deal with the small town thing, bunch of old people in the area so I doubt it'll be too crazy but who knows. huh :p

And not seeing it in 3d. Why does everything have to be in 3d nowadays??

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#251705 06/12/13 04:18 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Are you waiting until it comes out before you let us know what you thought, to avoid spoilers? (If so, thank you.)
I think we need a separate spoiler thread just to be on the safe side.

#251706 06/12/13 04:51 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
[b]Are you waiting until it comes out before you let us know what you thought, to avoid spoilers? (If so, thank you.)
I think we need a separate spoiler thread just to be on the safe side. [/b]
I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I would *love* to see it on opening night or the following day, I won't be able to see it for at least a couple of weeks, and that if I'm lucky. It would be nice to have separate threads for spoiler-free and spoiler-laden comments.

Joy,
Lynn

#251707 06/12/13 08:07 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I would *love* to see it on opening night or the following day, I won't be able to see it for at least a couple of weeks, and that if I'm lucky. It would be nice to have separate threads for spoiler-free and spoiler-laden comments.
I have taken your and mrsMxyzptlk's advice, and per-emptively started such a thread. I hope this helps in keeping you in the dark. See below:

***Please do not post Spoilers in this discussion. If you've seen the movie, please go here Post-Viewing Discussion thread for Man of Steel. Spoilers will be allowed there. wink ******

VirginiaR.
---
#251708 06/12/13 08:22 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks, Virginia, for taking preemptive action. :-)

Joy,
Lynn

#251709 06/12/13 02:31 PM
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C

Did you guys know it was coming out in 3-D?

I prefer not to hurl (throw up), so I'm sticking with 2D.

What are your plans?

Christina, did you ever get premiere tickets? Are you still in line? Are you waiting until it comes out before you let us know what you thought, to avoid spoilers? (If so, thank you.)
I'll be seeing it Thursday at 7pm (the Walmart Premiere) so I do (technically) have tickets but have not yet seen the film. I'll be seeing it in 3D on Thursday but heading to Chicago the next morning to see it with two other Superman fans in 2D.

I was the first in line for my Walmart tickets (there wasn't anyone else in line.) Whether or not Cape Girardeau still has tickets though, *shrugs* who knows?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#251710 06/13/13 08:31 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I've got tickets for Friday to go with my son. I'm foregoing the 3D this time since I just don't want to be bothered with it. Those glasses don't fit very well over my glasses, and I'm not getting contacts just for this. :p I find myself constantly getting distracted by needing to push the 3D glasses up or adjust them.

Now if they could beam it straight into our brains a la the Riddler's device in Batman Forever... wink

#251711 06/13/13 08:35 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was going to go to the midnight show, but I'm too tired to stay up until 3am. I didn't sleep well for the past few nights. My hubby promised me he'd be home in time for me to catch the afternoon matinee. laugh I'm sure it will be packed.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard