From Chapter 9: Disclosure

"I should tell you …" she coughed to clear her tense throat. "I am most definitely looking for the Pirate King. But you are right. I do not wish to be his bride." When Kal's eyes questioned more she shook her head. "I cannot tell you any more, Kal."

He nodded. "Thank you for admitting that to me, Lois. I guess I should reciprocate and confirm your faith in me. I did not kill my commanding officer. I was not even discharged from the Royal Navy, but I, also, can tell you no more at this time." When she opened her mouth to speak he pre-empted her. "Please, do not ask any more of me, my sweet Lois. Please."

His sincere voice and desperately pleading eyes melted her heart. How could she deny him this request when she wouldn't yet reveal all? Especially after he called her his sweet Lois.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Hmmm," Ollie pondered. "I am sure that all the falsehoods are to indicate that we should be reading more into this than just the surface words. But which of the false data is most pertinent. Could it be that he thinks you should leave?" Ollie glanced down at the letter and read the last few lines. "Does Clark think you are missing your full potential?"

"No."

"Then I'm inclined to look at the word 'worry' as important. And why would he mention the Governor? He would never send regards to Lex."

"That's it. Clark wants me to leave because he worried about me … about Lex. Ollie, I think you should know what Tess and I have found out."

It was an unusual company that sat at the kitchen table the following morning: the grieving daughter determined to live up to her beloved father's expectations, the shy ladies maid with a sharp mind, the butler who once advised the Governor and the gentleman rake with a secret heroic identity.

Ollie stared at the letter in his hands.

C.S.L.

The initials glared back at him. Commodore Samuel Lane.

"I think we need to open it." After Chloe had told him of Lex's purposeful incompetence and they had arranged this secret meeting he'd become more and more sure of that. "Clark still wanted me to take it even after I told him that the Commodore had been kidnapped. He could only mean for it to be opened." He looked up and around hoping for agreement from the others. He got it in the form of positive murmurs. Taking a deep breath he nodded. "Alright then." He reached out tentatively. Why he should feel such reticence was beyond understanding. Perhaps his respect for Clark was higher than he ever realised, or possibly the thought of what he would read terrified him.

"Oh, give me that," Tess reached out and snatched the letter from his hands. She popped open the wax seal and unfolded the sheet then frowned. Chloe leaned over and read, then frowned identically. Gabe stood from his seat on the opposite side of the table and strode around. When he peered over Tess's shoulder he read it aloud.

"Meeting guaranteed in three months." There was no signature.

"What can that mean?"

"Clark is on a secret mission for my Uncle. That's all I know," Chloe spoke.

"He is searching for someone, I think. And I guess that this is an update. But if there is any more to this than meets the eye then only the Commodore would know." Ollie sighed.

Gabe leaned forward and picked up an empty plate. He carried it over to the sink and brushed off the crumbs then dipped it in the hot water. Falling naturally into his butler duties he returned and cleared the table then began to clean the cutlery and crockery that they had all used for their early morning breakfast.

"So, how is all this linked with my uncle's kidnapping?"

"And my brother's duplicity?"

"I do not know, but Clark indicated that he and I were effectively on the same mission. And to return to Port Metropolis with this letter would further both our causes."

"What is your mission Ollie?" Chloe asked tentatively.

"I … uh, I was searching for any clue about the Pirate King, or the Commodore's whereabouts. Although …" he paused and glanced around at the three people about to be taken fully into his confidence. "Although, my ‘on-going’ mission from the king is to capture any pirates that cross my path."

"As a privateer," Tess stated, revelation dawning. "I was mistaken, wasn't I. Your father has passed on the mantle to you. You are Captain Arrow, are you not?"

"I am," he admitted.

A loud clatter and a shocked exclamation caused them all to turn away from Ollie's revelation and look at Gabe, still by the sink. He was staring down at the floor. Clearly Ollie's secret identity was not the cause of Gabe's shock.

"Father?" Chloe stood, concerned. He slowly bent down to the floor to pick up a metal plate that he had dropped. Water dripped off it and onto the stone floor.

"Who used this plate?" he asked as he straightened up.

"None of us Gabe," Tess replied. "We all had the wooden ones."

"Then how did this get in the sink?" He held out the plate, bottom side on view. A curved letter 'V' surrounded by stars was quite crudely scratched into the base. The light caught the scratches making the stars seem to twinkle having exposed shiny metal under the dulled surface.

"What is it?" Ollie stood and wandered over.

"Only three people would know this sign, but I am the last one alive." By this time everyone was stood around the butler listening intently. "It represents Veritas; the code name for a treaty which was to take place many, many years ago. This …" he shook the plate. "This is not possible."

"Then where did it come from?" Ollie questioned.

"These are the plates used in the guard room. Why would it be in the main kitchen?" Chloe explained.

"Well, possibly the guards are all too lazy to do their own cleaning," Ollie grinned.

"But they have all been dismissed along with the rest of the staff, while the governor is away."

"Not all." Ollie's voice was suddenly deep and grave.

"Pardon?" Tess turned to him.

"I saw a guard wandering the halls yesterday."

"But, that's not possible." Tess was in a fury now. Gabe looked across at Tess, an unknown expression in his eyes. Possibly hopefulness, possibly grief. He slammed down the plate and turned to Ollie, full of determination.

"Where did you see this guard?"

"Follow me." Ollie spread out his arm in gesture. After a few corridors and turns he pointed to a door.

"That is the guard room," Gabe whispered. Ollie tentatively pushed open the door and stepped into the empty room. The rest of the group followed then Gabe strode directly ahead and pushed on a section of the wall causing it to swing open. Everyone gasped in shock.

"What is it Gabe?" Tess looked around at the damp stone steps and dark corridor leading downwards.

"The Governor's personal dungeon. Lionel only ever used it twice in the whole time I was his aide. I wasn't aware that Lex even knew it existed."

As they descended an expectancy came over the group. What would they find at the bottom? Who would they find? Turning a corner, dimly lit by a distant torch, they reached the bottom of the stairs and stopped in shock to see a guard leaning against the wall.

"Hey, soldier!" Ollie took over with his Captain Arrow personality seeping through. "Why are you down here. Miss Luthor dismissed all the staff." The soldier started at the shout and stood straighter. When he turned to be confronted by a stranger, someone definitely not his superior, he gave a disdainful smirk.

"I need to be here." He paused. "And that's all you need to know."

Tess stepped forward into the light. "Watch your attitude, sentry."

"Miss Luthor." His eyes widened. "Um." He stuttered as he searched for an answer. "We couldn't leave. We, uh, have to guard the prisoner."

"Prisoner!" Chloe exclaimed.

"What prisoner," Gabe demanded to know. He was beginning to suspect who was down here and flicked a glance at Tess. "What prisoner?" he repeated deeper. The man just stared at him and shrugged. His eyes flicked back and forth in panic. "Get out," growled Gabe and Tess looked at him in shock. He reached for the keys hanging up next to the lamp, took both, and then he strode to the door across. He failed to get the key in the lock on the first two attempts as his hands were shaking excessively. Eventually the tumblers clicked into place as he turned the key. He swung open the door and called into the cell.

"Hello?"

"Gabe …" came a soft, scratchy reply, then a shadowed figure in the corner uncurled itself to sit on the edge of the bed. "Gabe, is that you? I knew my message would get to you somehow." This time the voice came stronger.

"Yes. Yes, sir, it is." The sound of relief in Gabe's voice was unmistakable. The group crowded forward to see who it was. Tess pushed passed into the lamp light just in time to see the prisoner struggle to his feet and look up. Her eyes met his and she sobbed.

"Father!"

"Tess," he replied and stumbled forward with his arms outstretched. She raced to him, clutching his bony body to hers as he collapsed onto her. "Daddy," she repeated, smiling, tears running down her cheeks, unchecked.

Back at the door Gabe stood, grinning. He put his arm around his daughter who looked utterly stunned. Ollie stepped forward and nodded a greeting to the man who met his eyes over Tess's shoulders. "Governor Luthor."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Miss Lois. I would have a private word with you."

Lois looked up and around, over her shoulder, at Kal. His tone indicated 'first mate needing a talk with a deck hand' but the expression in his eyes, privately looking over her, indicated something entirely different.

"Of course Kal," she answered as casually as possible. She stood and shook out her dress then followed him.

"You remember when I asked you to inventory the hold for me?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"Well, I believe it is time for another stock take."

"It has been almost three weeks, Kal, and we have raided only two ships and not yet set in to port. Do you think that there has been further pilfering?"

They stepped off the deck, descending below, at that point Kal turned and enveloped her in his arms. His mouth crashed down on hers and his tongue parted her lips immediately. Her arms came up and encircled his neck.

"Oh, Kal," she moaned as his lips began to travel down her neck. "Do you really want me to re-inventory?" He nuzzled up and under her ear. "Or was that just a ruse."

"Both," he mumbled. "It is needed … but it can wait." Lois couldn't stop the smile on her face.

"So it was a ruse."

"I needed to touch you. I needed … " he buried his head in the curve of her neck. "I needed you Lois. I sometimes wonder whether I should have come to you that very first night. The Captain said you needed a man and told me to take you."

"I …" she gulped. "I was a virgin."

"I know. I felt it, that first time." He lifted his head and gazed into her eyes. "Why. Why did you give it to me?" His voice was soft.

"I wanted you to have it." She exposed her heart with that comment, knowing what was showing in her eyes. Was Kal reading them? Was he interpreting her hidden meaning.

"It's this dress," he said, as if it explained everything. His eyes roamed over the bodice then back up. "I remember choosing it for you after the Captain gave you to me." Lois felt her heart leap with joy at Kal claiming her as his with that phrase. "Somehow I knew it would perfectly compliment your silky skin." Lois arched her back and he nibbled round her neck to the other ear. "And now I just want to take it off you."

Full of longing and unable to resist him she replied breathlessly. "Then why don't you?" She sent up a silent prayer of thank you for the accident earlier which had caused her to have to change out of her deck clothes and into her cream lace dress.

Clark raised his head again, searching her eyes for either teasing or sincerity. All he saw was desire shining back at him. He released her body and took her hand. She followed along, a secret smile on her lips. At the far end of the hold was a smaller room where the better booty was kept. Clark unlatched the door and pulled her inside. The moment the door clicked shut behind he pushed her against it.

Diving for her mouth he brought his hands up to cup her cheeks, but his hold wasn't gentle. He pressed his body against hers, crushing her to the door. ‘Two months. That's all I have left with her. It's not nearly enough. Not when I want … forever.’ Soul-wrenching pain ripped through him at that thought. Sometimes he let himself dream that he would be coming back, that he would have a life with her. Other times, like now, he accepted the inevitability of his commission. He should probably tell her the truth before it was too late. Before she was put off the ship and he sailed to his destiny. But would she accept that if he told her now. Would she fight it? Would she reject him? She seemed so taken with the pirate life. If she knew he was really …

He tangled his hands in her hair tighter and rocked his hips against her. She moaned. Clark loved that sound. Loved that he could make her like soft clay in his arms. "Oh Kal," she moaned when he left her mouth. ‘Kal.’ If he told her, then she'd know his real name. Fear spiked his heart; fear of losing her, and he felt an instinctive need to hold her close. As close as was physically possible.

As he pressed her harder against the closed store-room door he poured all of his heart-ache, all his desire, all his worries, all his hopes and dreams into his kisses, caresses and intimacy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

John strode away, anger burning in his belly. No, it was worse than anger. It was rage: burning green, jealous rage straight through his heart.

Kal. He had everything that should belong to John. First Mate position. Ear of the Captain. Respect of the crew. And now the delectable body of the desirable Miss Lois. He had it all. And he'd taken it from John.

The sneer on his face as he strode across the deck, away from the sickening love-birds, sent quite a few men scattering from his path. "Something needs to be done. Kal also suspects about the cargo," he muttered to himself. It had been the half heard conversation between Lois and Kal that had sent him following them down into the hold in worry over possible discovery. What he'd been confronted with, though, had nothing to do with investigating the cargo. Kal and Lois has been disappearing into the far room and he'd crept over to listen in, hoping for a clue as to whether they knew it was him, or not. Instead he had heard intimate talk, soft moans and deep growls. The feminine moans had turned him on immensely, yet the growls were like knives in his heart.

"Time for Kal to leave the ship, I think." The idea had been rolling around in his mind for many weeks and this was the final straw. In fact they'd actually provided him with the reason he could legitimately use to banish Kal.

John laughed. "Well, as legitimate as it can be to 'frame' a man." John's excitement bubbled over until he remembered to be circumspect. If he acted too swiftly, without covering all the eventualities, he would find himself off the ship rather than Kal. He needed the crew's backing, he needed to keep himself safe from the Captain's wrath. Time. Just a little time, then he would make his move.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a very different feel permeating the air when the group sat back at the kitchen table much later on. Shock was the overriding emotion in each person, although relief seemed fairly widespread also. The prisoner, finally clean, warm and satisfied, readied to explain about Veritas, curiosity gnawing at each mind.

Tess sat close to her father, clutching his hand as he finished off the last mouthful of bread. Ollie sat on the other side, glancing between the two of them. He'd always respected the old Governor. His father's close association with Lionel had meant frequent visits to the mansion when he was younger. It had also been one of the reasons for his friendship with Chloe. For some reason he'd never been friends with Tess or Lex though. Possibly his reckless attitude, evident even at an early age, had inclined him more to the servants in the house than the residents. Yet Lionel had always welcomed him and his father, and Tess in particular had sometimes attempted to join in their games. To see her now, alive with purpose as the intended Governor, and doubly alive to be reunited with her father, he recalled her tentative attempt to kiss him under the mistletoe one Christmas tide at eight years old.

"Are you sure you are up to this, sir?" Gabe asked. Ollie dismissed the memory and concentrated on the Governor.

"Please, Gabe, just Lionel now. I tolerated 'sir' before as a professional measure, but we were always more than that."

"Yes, sir," he replied, affection and friendship showing even though he still used the formal title.

Lionel smiled: a tired, weary smile. "Veritas was the name of a treaty I was to sign twenty years ago. Port Metropolis and Port Krypton were to become allies. Not that we had ever been enemies, but we wished to see a stronger bond and safer waters. On the journey to Port Metropolis Governor Jor-El's ship was set upon by pirates. The man who set himself up as Governor in his place had no interest in the treaty after that."

Tess nodded. "So that is Veritas. I'm presuming that this symbol, this seal, was to be made ... but only you, Gabe and the Governor of Port Krypton …"

"Jor-El."

"Jor-El, knew of it. That's how Gabe recognised the etching on the plate you had made."

"As my aide, although new to the position, he helped with much of the communication between islands. In the dungeon … I needed something that would stand out as a message to the right person but mean nothing to anyone else."

"Krypton! I heard that it was a wonderful place," Chloe whispered.

"Yes, Jor-El was a wonderful ruler and the land was fertile and prosperous. After the incident people talked. Rumours abounded. Slaughter, death, rivers of blood, famine. The island became known as Isla de Muerta."

"Island of death." Chloe gulped at Ollie's translation. There was a tangible silence as the story Lionel had told settled around them. Eventually Ollie coughed and spoke up.

"Well, as much as that fascinated us, and we were all quite curious being as how Veritas led us to find you …" he paused. "What actually happened to you, Governor?"

"Lex," replied Tess before Lionel could say anything.

"Yes," he nodded. "I began to suspect that he was up to no good but I was not quick enough to curtail his schemes. He bribed the guards, imprisoned me and then set himself up in my place." He sighed deeply. "I still wonder how I could have got it so wrong with Lex." He turned to Tess and reached out for her hand, smiling at her.

"Father we have discovered more. We believe that he is in league with the Pirate King. Also he is interfering with the investigation to search for the Commodore."

"Commodore?"

"When you 'died' so soon after the previous Commodore's 'demise' ", Gabe explained, "I sent word to the King in England. He despatched my brother-in-law immediately. Commodore Samuel Lane arrived six months ago and has been under orders to focus on ridding us of the Pirate menace."

"And he is missing?" Lionel breathed out in horror.

"Kidnapped. Two months ago. His daughter went missing soon after."

"No!" he choked out. Chloe gave a little sob and Gabe put his arm around her.

Ollie pulled out a wrinkled piece of paper from his pocket and smoothed it out. "This symbol was found at the scene of the kidnapping. I've been told, by a most reliable source, that this is the Pirate King's symbol. We have seen it on many occasions, always connected with Pirate activity, but it was confirmed to me recently that it is indeed the personal symbol for the Pirate King himself."

Lionel reached out and slid the paper across. "Zod," he croaked.

"Zod?"

"The man who set himself up as Governor of Port Krypton."

"He's the Pirate King?"

"It seems so. And as Jor-El's ship was set upon by pirates I would wager that Zod was deeply involved in that ambush and betrayal."

"But how is all this connected and what is Clark's mission?" Chloe asked, pleading for further understanding, hoping for more revelations to help with the search for her uncle and cousin.

"Clark!" Lionel turned his head. "Clark Kent?"

"Yes," Chloe replied, confused at Lionel's tone. Lionel had sponsored Clark's entrance into the Navy and been exceptionally proud to see him move up the ranks to Officer in quick time.

"I happened across Clark, undercover on a private mission from the Commodore. He has been gone for months, obviously commissioned before the Commodore was kidnapped. He was not aware of the kidnapping. He did indicate that both he and I had the same ultimate mission, though."

"You mean he and … Captain Arrow?" Lionel stated. Ollie blinked. "I knew that you would take over from your father soon. It was always in your eyes Oliver."

Tess smiled to herself, glad that her father still had all his faculties about him, and glad that she seemed to have taken after him in her instincts. Standing she raised her head high and spoke clearly. "Well, it seems clear to me that the Commodore was taken by the Pirate King to scupper his plans for annihilation of the Pirate population and if Zod is the Pirate King then we will find him on Isla de Muerta … Port Krypton."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

At the first sign of a ship on the horizon Ollie called for Emil. As people gathered on the deck, hearts pounding in anticipation, Dinah, in the crow's nest, kept a watch for the moment she could make out the flag.

"It's the HMS Planet," she called down.

Ollie whooped, it being one of the objectives of their current mission. "Emil. Ready with the flags. We need to talk to the Captain."

"Aye, aye Captain," he replied and moved to stand at the edge of the deck. As Ollie relayed messages to Captain White through Emil, Dinah shouted out the replies. When the ships came alongside each other, crew members stood at attention on each side, a deep, sharp voice called out.

"All right. You say the Governor is on board and wishes to converse with me." The greying man in well-presented military uniform strode to the edge.

Lionel stepped forwards. "I do." His voice was no longer strained and croaky. It had been three days since his rescue and he'd spent most of that time on board the Justice under the care of the carpenter Doctor Emil. His strength was returning and the sea air was refreshing him.

Captain White's eyes widened in shock. "Governor Luthor," he exclaimed. "Your son said you were dead!" It was clear that he had expected Lex Luthor when they had announced the Governor as being aboard.

"I know," he replied. "May I come aboard? I must speak with you in private."

"Of course," he nodded.

There were whispers among the crew of The Planet as the Governor of Port Metropolis and Captain Arrow strode along the deck with Captain White. Once locked away in the Captain's cabin he introduced his first mate.

"Mr Gabriel. He's been with me a little over two months." He turned and addressed the man. "Grant, this is Governor Lionel Luthor, father of Lex ... and Captain Arrow of The Justice."

Ollie's heart rate rapidly increased at being introduced to the man that Tess claimed was under Lex's pay. How would Lionel deal with this? Lionel had made it clear over the course of the journey that he considered himself immediately back in the role of Governor, and fully in charge of the investigation into the Commodore's kidnapping.

"I would ask … Captain … that this meeting be between just you and I. To show no favouritism I shall request that Captain Arrow leaves, if you will send Mr Gabriel away also."

The confusion on the Captain's face was evident but he complied and the two men left.

"Perry," Lionel sighed once they were alone. "It has been too long. You were my best Captain and I trusted you with my special project. What happened to him?"

"He disappeared five months ago. I was distraught. You were right. Mr Kent was a fine officer. I am glad that you convinced me to take him on as my First Mate. But I do not know what happened to him. The Commodore summoned him repeatedly while we were in port. We were then sent on patrol and he never came back on board after we made port on Granville Island."

"I have a suspicion about what happened, Perry, but I do not wish to speculate aloud at this time on matters that are minor detail in this affair. What I can reveal is that he is undercover on board The Kandor and I believe that we must find him. That is our secondary goal though. Our first goal is to find the Commodore. I believe that Lex sent you on that mission seven week since."

Captain White nodded.

"Am I also to understand that your journey had been plagued by mishap and difficulty?"

The Captain frowned in surprise. "Yes. How do you know?"

"It seems that my son is more devious than I realised. I knew he was only ever self-serving and so I never trained him for the position of Governor. Instead, he took it himself and placed me in the dungeon. Since then I believe that he has been making an alliance with the Pirate King. Whether directly or indirectly involved in the Commodore's kidnapping he gave orders to someone aboard this ship to sabotage your mission, even though he'd placed you on that very mission himself."

"What!" He stood immediately. The anger in the man's voice was clear. Someone on board his ship had betrayed him. Someone had been interfering in his mission. All the accidents ... all the equipment failures … it was not possible. But, yes it was. The coincidence was now clear.

"Who. Who is this traitor?"

"Your First Mate."

"Grant!" Perry fell back into his chair. "No. He is not half the officer that Clark was, but I cannot believe it."

"My daughter overheard the very conversation where Lex ordered this of Mr Gabriel. I would also remind you that Lex was the one who pushed for you to take Grant as your First Mate when Clark disappeared." Tess had also overhead that snippet of information in the same conversation.

Perry's mouth hung open in shock. He blinked slowly then stood once more. Striding to the door he swung it open, his eyes searching the corridor for the men who had been expelled from the meeting. The corridor was empty. He strode along and emerged out into the sun and onto the deck. His eyes flicked back and forth again until they finally rested on the man he was searching for.

Grant Gabriel saw the Captain's eyes settle on him. The look of anger on his face shot straight to Grant's heart and he panicked. He turned and ran, pushing through the sailors crowding the deck. His attempt to flee was utterly futile. A quick shout from the captain and a dozen sailors were after him, chasing round the mast. Grant Gabriel was an agile sailor, though, and he evaded them all heading for the bridge. "Give it up Gabriel. There's nowhere to go. We are out at sea man." He turned round and round, heart pounding. He was now surrounded and there was nothing to do but surrender.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois fingered the medallion around Clark's neck. Her head lay on his shoulder, his arm cupped around hers and tenderly stroking down her arm. Lois shuffled under the light blanket and shifted her leg across Clark's, cuddling up as close as possible. Her breath lightly passed over his bare chest and his nipples peaked in response to the gentle stimulation. He supressed his immediate desire knowing that he needed to start controlling himself more when around Lois. He couldn't let his desires rule his life. Besides, it was also going to be time to go out on deck soon.

"So … when was the last time you tried to find out what this means?" she asked. Clark shifted, not immediately replying. "I mean, it would drive me mad, not to know."

"Lois …" he whispered. "I …" He sighed and closed his eyes. "I guess it does, but I've got used to it. I am who I am." He kept his answer vague but completely truthful. Lois had got out of him the basic story of his medallion over the course of their affair. It had now been eleven days since the attack by The Justice and their subsequent consummation. Their private time together consisted of many intimate moments, both physically and emotionally. They had chatted on various occasions after their passion subsided, unlike their very first time where they had fallen asleep in each other's arms without a word spoken.

The first thing Clark had confided was that the name Kal, inscribed on one side of the medallion was the only thing he understood. On the reverse was a symbol that meant nothing to him. A geometric shape enclosing a letter. Lois had trailed the outline and remarked on it being almost the shape of a diamond. The inner letter had been reminiscent of the letter S. A little playful flirting had then ensued as she listed the many words it could stand for. Clark had acted offended at all her suggestions, but he had secretly stored one particular word in his heart. "Super," she had announced. "Super Kal." She giggled and he'd smiled. "Yes, that's it. My Kal. My super man." She looked into his eyes and her smile had dropped at the same moment as his. Lois had referred to him as 'hers' and it had set a fire in his belly that needed immediate relief.

A few days after that he had revealed that he'd been found as a baby, drifting in a tiny boat in the centre of a ship's wreckage. That had led to difficult questions about his upbringing by Lois. Goodness, she was inquisitive. He'd answered as best he could without compromising himself. She knew that he'd been brought up by a childless couple who loved him dearly, but he left her with the incorrect assumption that they had named him after the word on his medallion. She'd also indicated that she thought his lack of true roots had led to his insubordinate career in the Navy: a desire to strike out in frustration.

"How did you come to be First Mate?" The question suddenly pulled him out of his memories in shock. The way her mind worked in concert with his scared him sometimes: asking that question just as he pondered over her beliefs of his less than sterling career in the Navy. His heart beat erratically. This was it, the perfect time to tell her the truth. Mixed in with how he came to be aboard was the whole story of his undercover mission, his true identity … Suddenly he knew: it was time to reveal everything and trust his heart.

He took a deep breath and began with the 'accepted' story. "After I was … ejected … from the Navy I spent a lot of time in the taverns of Tortuga. I was on the lookout for … opportunities." Lois lifted her head from his chest. Resting her arm and hand across and pushing up slightly she looked into his eyes. Obviously she'd heard his hesitations. His nervousness was evident in the wavers in his voice. He flicked his eyes back and forth over her face, looking for some final sign that it was right to continue. All he could see looking back at him was acceptance, curiosity, trust … and that other emotion he'd been toying with yet avoiding naming. He repeated his deep breath then began again. "I feigned drunkenness and violence while attempting to find my way on board a pirate ship. Any pirate ship. It was the most unbelievable luck that Zor-El, captain of The Kandor no less, found me. He seemed to take to me immediately and it didn't take much to convince him to take me on board. He then immediately appointed me as First Mate, to my complete surprise."

"Feigned drunkenness?" Lois questioned. He opened his mouth but didn't know how to proceed. "I understand Kal. I actually saw it myself on the night you recruited me. You were not half as inebriated as the empty bottle of rum should have indicated." She frowned. "What I don't completely understand is why. I mean, I have some ideas but … and what did you mean by all this. It sound like it's all a deception for some reason."

"Lois …" he began and lowered his eyes for a moment before looking back. "I'm not who …"

Suddenly the door to the cabin flew open. Clark turned his head quickly and pulled up the blanket to cover Lois instinctively. His eyes widened in horror to see John Corbin stood in the doorway, men crowding around him. His arm was stretched out in front and his pistol was pointed straight at the couple in bed. "Corbin?" Clark asked in angry question.

"Kal," he replied. Clark stared at the barrel of the pistol, all the reasons for sleeping facing the door with his own pistol already in his hand coming flooding back. Except now that he was facing his nightmare he was actually calm. It was the inevitable end to his assignment. "Get up. And get dressed." His voice was full of distain. Clark eyed the pistol again and knew to comply. He began to slide out from the blankets when Corbin's next words shot a chill through his bones. "And get your whore dressed too. In her duchess dress." Clark's head shot back up to look at Corbin's face. ‘No. He wants Lois too.’

His mind raced as they both dressed quickly, watched intently by the group of pirates at the door. There must be some way out of this. But what was 'this'? He didn't yet know what was happening. And how was Lois involved? Could he get her out of it?

Corbin led them both out onto deck. Clark was disturbed to see most of the crew out, all staring at him with a combination of hate, disappointment or pity. His stomach clenched. ‘I've been discovered. It's the only explanation.’ His heart groaned at the punishment that was to come. Betrayal, subterfuge, deception, infiltration. He was guilty of it all as far as the crew would be concerned. But it had never been them that he was after. They would not understand that, though. ‘If I can just convince them Lois had no knowledge of my true identity or mission.’

Suddenly the crowd opened out and Corbin pushed Clark out into a space. Lois followed, stumbling into him then grabbing onto his arm to steady herself. She had indeed put on the cream brocade dress as instructed. His fingers remembered the feel of the stitching as he gripped her tightly. His body remember the … He shook his head to clear it of the distracting memories.

John Corbin, deckmaster of The Kandor, stepped out into the open circle. Crew members who had been lining the walk from the officers' cabins were now filling out the edge of the circle, hemming the three of them in together. Corbin gave Clark a sly grin then his face, wiped of the obvious look of selfish victory, turned to the watching men.

"This man here ... a man we have trusted for months ... a man who promised us fair and just discipline, strong leadership, a fair share of the booty and much more in his stirring speech the day the Captain introduced him ... this man had been deceiving us." Clark breathed deeply. ‘Yes, here it comes,’ he thought. "He has been raiding the store for himself." The crew took in a collective shocked breath. Both Clark and Lois joined in that sound.

"What?" he shouted out in surprise.

"You," Corbin turned to speak to him directly. "You have had the hold re-inventoried to cover your tracks. And you have been planning the same exercise again to eliminate more recent discrepancies."

Clark's jaw dropped. His own diligence and duty to his current position on board was being used against him. The deckmaster turned back to the crowd.

"He has been keeping our share of the treasure from us. His reasons are sound, on the surface … but it is all a ruse. He has betrayed us. Quite simply …" he paused dramatically. "Kal has been stealing from ALL of us."

"No!" he whispered out shaking his head. He looked around at the crew hoping to notice support among them, but all he saw was more anger and disappointment.

"Kal, you are to be marooned with one bottle of powder, one …"

"No, it's not true," came a new voice. Clark turned. Lois had removed her hands from his arm and stepped forwards. "Kal would do no such thing. I know. I'm the one who did the inventory."

There were new murmurs among the pirates at this revelation.

"She incriminates herself," John declared striding round. "Well, I was going to bring up this point myself, dear, but thank you for freely declaring it to us all." Clark gulped at the look on Corbin face: the grin baring his teeth. "Your punishment will be a little different though, as you are on this ship under false pretences and not a crew member bound by the code." Clark turned to watch Lois. He could see the temper rising in her. Fists were clenched at her side and her chest was heaving. "So, Kal. By order of the captain …" Clark's mouth dropped open again. ‘Zor-El knows? No, that's not possible. I know he trusts me.’ "You are to be marooned with one bottle of powder, one bottle of water, one small arm and shot."

Clark felt the tears pricking his eyes. Partly relief that his true deception had not been discovered and at the non-fatal punishment, but much more at the grief of failing his mission, and even more so at leaving Lois behind … to whatever John had in store for her.

Corbin walked forwards, the crowd beginning to part. Clark lifted his head and finally noticed the surroundings. The ship was anchored, no movement, and off to the starboard he saw an island. <Land Ho>. He sighed and closed his eyes remembering the call from the crow's nest in the extremely early hours of the morning, while he'd been … distracted. When he didn't immediately move to follow he felt prodding from behind. Glancing over his shoulder he saw the ship's carpenter and surgeon, Fine, digging his cutlass in his back. ‘Brainiac.’ Clark gritted his teeth. He'd never really like the man. Just as with Corbin, there had been an instinctive feel that he was a danger to Clark's mission.

He was herded in the direction of the plank, black dread beginning to invade his mind. He tried to evaluate all scenarios of escaping, of freeing Lois, but nothing came to mind and he found himself bouncing on the end of the malleable plank of wood looking down into the clear Caribbean waters below. His last thought was for Lois. He turned and looked at her, his eyes now watering freely. He saw the pain reflected in hers. Her lips were trembling. "What will you do to Miss Lois?" he asked, turning to look at John Corbin.

"That, Kal," he spat the word out, as if it no longer held any inherent respect, "is no longer your concern. But let's just say that she'll definitely be contributing to the working life of the crew." The suggestive look on Corbin's face had Clark turning to leap out at him in rage, protecting Lois's virtue, but John stretched out his arm, now wielding a cutlass, and poked it in Clark's ribs. He bent over at the pain, wobbled then lost his balance and plunged into the water.

"Kal!" Lois cried running forwards, tears streaming down her face. She'd known it was coming from the moment Kal had been pushed onto the plank, but the suddenness of it, the sword in his side … her heart had missed a beat. Before she could make it to the rail arms pulled at her and dragged her back. The circle of pirates reformed around her and John, but now they were at the ship's edge: the ocean just a leap away. Lois calmed her heart and prepared. ‘Don't make your move too early. Don't rush this and give away your plan.’

John strode up to her and grabbed her chin. "Miss Lois. That's what he called you. Perhaps he was misspoken. Do you think he meant 'my Lois'?" He released her and stepped back. "Well, I think it's fair to say that I will definitely be calling you …" he looked at her intently … "my Lois." She stood as still and calm as possible. Her racing heart would no longer comply with her wishes though. The tension was unbearable. If only he would step just a little further away. "Take off the dress."

"What?" she choked out and her legs almost gave out under her.

"The dress. I think you need to earn the right to wear it again." Lois immediately knew what he was insinuating. But possibly this was to her benefit. The dress was bulky and heavy, and thank the Lord she had put her slip on underneath it when getting dressed. Feeling more confident she began unlacing it, strongly, defiantly. It fell to the floor and crumpled round her feet. She needed to step out. Trying to look completely natural she stepped out … backwards … putting herself closer to the ship's edge and further from the crowd of pirates.

"Now … ‘my Lois’ … I think it's time to return to work." He narrowed his eyes on the final word and swept his gaze down her body. "Now …" he continued but Lois took the word personally to heart.

‘Now,’ she thought, then turned and leapt off the ship.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments (g-fic only)

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."