From Chapter 8: Surrender

She snaked out her arm from under the blanket and slid it up his neck and into his beautiful black wavy hair then she pulled down and his head descended, their lips tangled again as they soared over the edge.

Only a few moments later Clark carefully rolled to the side and turned her to follow. For some reason neither of them seemed able to speak, they just smiled. Clark gathered Lois into his arms and she snuggled onto his chest. Within minutes they were both asleep.

Clark had his back to the cabin door: something he never let happen, and for the first time since he came on board he slept without his finger poised on the trigger of his pistol. Instead he held tight to the woman sleeping in his arms.

Morning light filtered through the small porthole and began the gradual process of waking Clark. As he flicked his eyes back and forth behind his closed eyelids he began to notice a tingling feeling in his arm. He opened his eyes slowly to be greeted by the sight of beautiful, shiny auburn hair spilling over his chest. His mouth opened slightly, the corners twitching into a unbelievable smile.

A self-preservation instinct, which he had ignored last night, had him peering over his shoulder to the cabin door. ‘How could I have been so lax as to allow myself to sleep in such a vulnerable position?’ Clark never put his back to the door, and he never left his pistol on the table: out of reach.

He turned back to the vision lying in his arms and smiled. He had his answer. ‘Goodness she is beautiful. I just wanted to rest with her in my arms.’

He reached out a hand and lifted the hair spread over her face. Tucking it behind her ear he must have disturbed her slightly as she shifted her head. The pressure change on his shoulder allowed blood to flow once more and the tingling increased.

Still Clark dare not move. He twisted his body slightly and found a comfortable position then began to study her sleeping countenance. Her high cheek bones were tipped with natural blush. Her long lashes touched her cheeks. Her lips were parted slightly. His eyes lingered on them and he instinctively lowered his head, but he couldn't reach. Dropping his head back he sighed then smiled. He brought his free arm up and lazily began to stroke up and down her arm.

Things had definitely changed now. He'd known they would the moment he uncovered her deception, but this new intimacy presented him with further complications. Until now he'd been content to wait for the allotted time to fulfil his assignment. He'd attempted on a few occasions to move events along quicker, but to no avail. And the desired end result was still inevitable. He just had to wait. Now, all he could think of was helping Lois to escape from this life. Immediately, not in three more months after the Pirate Meet and the … fulfilment … of his commission. Clark resolved to speak to the captain again. He would, once more, attempt to garner the location of the Pirate King's island and then he would find a way to leave the ship sooner and take Lois with him.

The joy which rose in him at the thought of being free from this burden, and at taking Lois, had him fighting the sudden urge to leap out of bed and confront Zor-El immediately. But that would most assuredly wake Lois. Instead he levered himself up slightly and then she rolled gently away.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois felt her change in position and frowned. Something felt wrong, and as the morning light filtered through her closed eyelids she realised that it must be morning. She shuffled around trying to find the comfortable position she had been in a moment ago, but it eluded her. She reluctantly opened her eyes and was greeted by a close up of the cabin wall. She turned her head over her shoulder then followed with her body. As the cabin came into view as smile came unbidden to her face.

Kal.

The memories of last night flooded her and she became completely aware of her nakedness only hidden by a rumbled blanket. Her body responded immediately when she recalled the feel of Kal's hands on her. She nibbled her lip and attempted to control her breathing.

Kal's current state of undress did nothing to help her composure. His shirt covered his chest, rather disappointingly, but hung only as far as his thigh. His pants were dangling from his fist, obviously the next item to be put on, but now forgotten. She finally looked up to meet his eyes only to see that he was staring back at her. He dropped the forgotten garment and stepped back to the bed.

"Lois," he breathed out then dropped to the bed.

"Good morning, Kal," she smiled shyly.

"Lois," he repeated then brought his hand to her cheek. He slowly descended and brushed his lips across hers. Immediately her heart buzzed in delight but he didn't deepen the kiss. When he straightened back up she followed, holding herself up on her elbows.

"I didn't mean to wake you." He stroked a finger over her cheek. "I must speak to the captain." She nodded and lifted out a hand to reach for his cheek. As she cupped his face he turned to kiss her palm and the blanket covering her chest tumbled down. Lois felt Kal's body still against her, his lips still pressed to her hand. His eyes were fixed on her chest and a blush crept up her neck. She hadn't felt so self-conscious after encouraging him to remove her night gown last night. "Lois!" he whispered and then one hand cupped her breast while the other drew her back for a searing kiss.

The moment his thumb brushed her nipple she melted, parting her lips to allow his tongue entrance. Her embarrassment disappeared and she reached for him, sliding her hands up his thigh and under his shirt. She encountered his desire immediately and he moaned into her mouth then began lowering her back down to the bed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Clark closed the cabin door behind him leaving Lois to her privacy. He had intended to be up and out before she awoke. The sudden passion of last night had somehow been inevitable but still shocked him and he'd been unsure how to behave this morning. He'd also been desperate to confront the captain now that the idea was planted. But she had woken and he'd been drawn back to her again.

As he strode to the captain's cabin he attempted to tamp down the desire still raging through his body, even though he had only just satisfied it. ‘Tonight,’ he told himself and then intense anticipation hit him at the thought, making him long for the day to be over. He rapped on the door and then waited. After a moment he heard shuffling then the captain called out.

"Come in Kal." Somehow he always knew. Maybe it was just that Kal was the only one to ever visit the captain, or possibly he just knocked in the same way every time.

Clark opened the door and strode in.

"Good morning sir. I thought I would come and discuss things with you following yesterday's confrontation with The Justice." Zor-El just nodded and strode across the cabin. He sat himself down at his desk and pulled out his parchment and pen. Clark lowered himself to a chair and waited. The Captain spent most of him time in his cabin writing. Clark had no knowledge of what musings passed onto the paper through the older man's fingers. Early on in his position on board he had wrestled with the idea of delving into the captain’s private writings to garner the information needed. As he became more used to the persona of 'Kal' he'd easily reconciled himself with the conclusion that it was necessary, only to find out that Zor-El wrote all day, only to burn everything at night.

‘What does he write? What tortured knowledge is he attempting to purge by confessing each day, yet burning each night?’

"I am most pleased with our victory Kal. Have you given out any booty yet?"

"No sir. It was mostly rum, weapons and supplies. I have handed out a few small bags of coins then the men can enjoy a simple wager or two. But you know that I like to limit the chance of greed overtaking someone while out at sea."

"Yes. Very shrewd of you Kal. I knew you would take to this job as if born to it."

Clark winced inside and shifted on his seat. Zor-El often made pertinent remarks about his origins, birth and family. 'Kal' had no family, at least one thing in his deception was utterly true. He felt the medallion weighing heavily against his chest. But 'Clark' had loving parents, friends and a family name he was proud of.

"Uh," he cleared his throat. "We are approaching the time for the Pirate Meet. I was wondering if you wanted me to prepare the route we will take." Clark's heart pounded in his chest as he tried to play the ever faithful and diligent officer.

"Kal you worry so. It is still three months hence. I would hope that you have other raids planned before then. We must show up fully stocked … minus the crew's percentage."

"I just wish to be well prepared sir. If … if I knew where the Pirate King's Island was then I would plan our raids most fortuitously along the way. And I could discuss with the Sailing Master what knowledge he has of the waters."

"He will not be privy to the information." Clark frowned. The Captain put down his pen. Not that he had written a jot yet. "Before we set off for the island and the Meet the crew will disembark. Only you and I shall be travelling on."

"But sir. We cannot man this ship only two of us."

Zor-El stood and his stool shot backwards. "We most certainly can, Kal." His voice was suddenly raging. Clark's eyes widened a little, but he had become used to the outbursts that would appear and disappear at random. "There is a port near enough," he calmed his voice. "And the trip on from there will be simple enough for the two of us."

"Why?" Clark questioned. "Why just the two of us?"

"All the Pirate Captains are to come alone. We have always done it that way."

"Then …" Clark began.

"But I have need of you, Kal. I …" He turned and picked his stool back up then proceeded to place himself back at his desk.

"Will …" Clark swallowed and tried again. "Will the Pirate King be there?" Somehow Zor-El's past, his link with Zod, was of paramount importance. Clark was convinced that whatever had happened between the two of them many years ago was also a clue to where the Pirate King resided.

"Yes," came the blunt and simple reply.

"If I am to accompany you, Zor-El, then I believe I must understand the intricacies of the pirate upper echelons better. I do not wish to dishonour you, or to instigate a faux pa."

"I have full confidence in your abilities, your natural understanding and your ability to assess a situation, Kal. Do not trifle over this."

Clark groaned inwardly. As with all previous attempts he had made no headway at all. It seemed that he would have to wait the full three months. At least by making the crew disembark Lois would have to leave. The relief at the thought that she would be safe was overwhelming and he closed his eyes involuntarily.

"Although." Clark's eyes shot open at the questioning tone in his captain's voice. "Maybe it is time for you to understand more of the history of these waters."

Clark lent forward and clasped his hands together. Zor-El's voice took on a story-like quality.

"When I was younger, newly married … I was reckless. I made many terrible choices. Choices that led me here. To this ship. Only it was a different captain then. I never expected that I would be Captain of the Kandor, but I felt alive, and strong, to be a pirate on board this ship. The captain took a shine to me. I have no idea why, he just did. I confessed that I had abandoned my wife to seek a large fortune, but that my greatest wish was to return to her once I had acquired it. Time went on, and my fortune grew, but Zod kept convincing me that I needed 'just a little more'. Eventually he approached me with a plan. One that would fulfil all his, and all my, dreams. All I had to do was participate in a strategic attack on a ship travelling to Port Metropolis. I agreed. He placed me as Captain on board The Argo and, together with The Kandor, we attacked." Zor-El paused. Clark had noticed the man's breathing becoming more erratic and now his voice broke. "It was not until after the deed was done, when Zod made me captain of The Kandor as I walked the decks of the defeated vessel that I realised how much I had been deceived."

Clark shuffled forward on his chair. This was it. This was the reason for Zor-El's hatred of Zod. And what must tear him up even more was that he could do nothing about it as Zod was a fierce foe, and he was the Pirate King with all the protection and power that brought.

"Every last passenger on the ship had been slaughtered. Zod sailed the ship back to its origin and took the island as his own, setting himself up as Governor in place of my … in place of the man he had killed on board. But Governor was a false title and it soon became clear what his real title was."

‘Pirate King,’ thought Clark.

"Every last passenger," Zor-El repeated on a whisper and looked through lowered lashes over at Clark.

"But why would that bother you, sir," Clark asked carefully. Zor-El had often ordered similar slaughters in raids over the years, Clark knew. Or had he just become more hardened as the years went by?

"Because …" Clark saw the pain in his Captain's eyes. "Because some of the passengers were my family." Clark's heart missed a beat. "Including my … wife, and young daughter … Kara." He choked out the last word then turned to his parchment and began writing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

He heard the creak of the far door and his heart skipped a beat. Food. No matter the awful taste and consistency, it was still food. He pushed up with his bony arms and swung his legs over the side of his pallet. Weaker and weaker by the day he lent backwards to the wall to gather some strength. His eyes rested closed. When he heard the hatch in the door slide he opened them again. A hand pushed through a misshapen metal plate. As the hatch was well above waist level all the food tumbled off, as usual, and the plate landed on top.

"An extra special treat for you today," came the mocking voice from the other side of the door.

Weary, but ravenous, he forced himself up and shuffled to the door. Crouching down he tentatively removed the plate to reveal a stale bread roll underneath. His heart sank, yet he still reached for it and lifted it to his lips hungrily. His teeth immediately met resistance, yet not from the dry, hard crust. He pulled the bread away from him mouth and sighed. No wonder the guard had been in good humour. Not only was the roll stale, but it had been hollowed out and filled with a large stone.

The prisoner shuffled back to the bed, carrying the plate in one hand and the roll in the other. He dropped to the grimy sheets and frowned. He released the plate and then began to extract the rock. He revealed a particularly sharp edge and began to consider it seriously while nibbling on the remaining bread. When the last of the crumbs were eaten, satisfying his hunger in some minor fashion, he picked up the metal plate, scrutinised it then turned it over and began to scratch away at the bottom using the sharpened stone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Three days. Three days of bliss. Since that first night in the cabin, which started with an argument and an accusation and ended in intimate expressions of feelings not yet verbalised, Kal had kept his smouldering gaze on her every second of the day and kept his tender hands on her at night.

It was the end of another day of heated looks across the deck which had set her heart fluttering in anticipation of shift change. Kal closed the door behind them and sealed them off in his cabin for the rest of the night. He immediately reached for her and dragged her up to his waiting mouth. She parted her lips and his tongue dived in. His hands left her waist and travelled up to cup her cheeks. He softened the kiss and held her while he gently teased her bottom lip.

"Lois," he breathed out.

"Yes, Kal," she replied, neither person actually asking a question, just accepting the inevitable.

He stepped away and unclipped his belt letting his pistol slide down to the floor. Lois reached up and loosened his sash and pulled his shirt out of his breeches. Kal's fingers deftly dispensed with the knot in her shirt laces. His eyes caught and held hers. She couldn't tear them away although she continued to undress him. As his pants dropped to the floor so did hers. They both stepped away from the discarded pile of clothing and settled into the bed. Kal reached for her again then continued his tasting of her lips with his, adding his tongue to the exploration. Lois responded by arching her body into his and sliding a hand up his chest. As it trailed over his nipples he shuddered and then suddenly his hands were on her chest. Their frantic touching set Lois's heart pounding; breath escaping her lips is light pants. She needed him: she craved him.

"Kal," she drew his head away from her chest, where his tongue had been teasing her sensitive nipple, to look him in the eyes. "Kal, please," she begged of him. He'd brought her to the very edge and she needed satisfaction, not more teasing.

He smiled slowly, deep affection twinkling in his eyes. At least she hoped it was deep affection. If this was just a short affair while she was on board, then so be it, but her heart was already dreaming of so much more.

He positioned himself over her and his lips descended as they joined.

When they finally parted, bodies glistening with sweat Kal drew Lois close and she rested her head on his chest.

"Ahh, Lois. Seeing you on deck, the sun streaming down onto you, giving your cheeks a rosy glow … I find it so hard to keep to my duties."

She giggled and cuddled up close to him. "I'll wager that you remove your shirt as punishment for me, Kal."

"Hmmm, I've been uncovered," he responded theatrically.

Lois levered herself up on one elbow and let her eyes scan down Kal's body. "Yes. Yes you have," she growled. As her lazy appraisal of his body passed his chest then up to his face she caught his eyes. They showed not one ounce of teasing. There was no smile on his lips. He lifted one hand and cupped her chin letting some fingers tangle into her hair.

"I see who you are Lois," he whispered.

Her breath caught in her throat. ‘He knows. Oh dear Lord. What if he tells the rest of the pirates that I'm the Commodore's daughter?’

"I do not believe that you wish to be the Pirate Queen." She let out the breath and managed to finally rip her gaze away from his eyes. This was the first time they'd allowed themselves to venture into serious territory but thankfully Kal had not discovered her most dangerous secret. It was possible that he was getting close though. "I've seen the way you work. I've seen the compassion you have for Olsen. I cannot reconcile this beautiful creature, currently resting in my arms, with the lady who claimed to be looking for the Pirate King to ensconce herself as his Queen. You are no more after a marriage of financial convenience than …" with that, Kal ran out of words.

"Than you ever killed your commanding officer?" Lois raised her eyebrows in challenge yet also showing her faith in him. "I've seen you too, Kal. I've heard the stories and know that the crew call you the Man of Steel. Somehow I cannot imagine you ever killing someone in cold blood, or even by accident." Lois frowned and shook her head. "And to think that you are FirstMmate on The Kandor. It makes no sense."

They stared at each other, knowing that their facades were slowly being ripped away by the other. They both felt exposed, but neither one could raise a single morsel of worry. Instead they smiled at each other.

"I should tell you …" she coughed to clear her tense throat. "I am most definitely looking for the Pirate King. But you are right. I do not wish to be his bride." When Kal's eyes questioned more she shook her head. "I cannot tell you any more, Kal."

He nodded. "Thank you for admitting that to me, Lois. I guess I should reciprocate and confirm your faith in me. I did not kill my commanding officer. I was not even discharged from the Royal Navy, but I, also, can tell you no more at this time." When she opened her mouth to speak he pre-empted her. "Please, do not ask any more of me, my sweet Lois. Please."

His sincere voice and desperately pleading eyes melted her heart. How could she deny him this request when she wouldn't yet reveal all? Especially after he called her his sweet Lois.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Justice moored itself at the far edges of the port and Captain Arrow prepared to disembark. It had been five days since his encounter with The Kandor. Five days of confusion and concern. His childhood friend and next door neighbour was undercover on a Pirate Ship. The boy they all called Sir Lancelot. Yet here he was, ready to deliver messages for him. Since when did he become a delivery boy for a Pirate.

‘But he's not really a pirate. You know that Ollie,’ he berated himself. ‘He's a good man. Probably the best man I know.’ He sighed as he climbed out of his ship's costume. All around him his crew were changing into their 'home' clothes and shedding their Justice personalities. In a few minutes they would all leave via the bridge to the caves outside Port Metropolis and leave behind their secrets.

Ollie checked his pockets for the three letters he had been entrusted with. He knew which would be the easiest to deliver, and be the most appreciated. He also knew that he'd be delivering it first, leaving the difficult ones to come. He'd much prefer it the other way so that he could end the day visiting with Mr and Mrs Kent, but it was not to be as he would pass home, and therefore the general store next door, on the way to the mansion ... and he knew that Chloe would need his company after receiving a letter from Clark.

It was far too short a time later when he crept into the gardens at the Governor's mansion and inched his way around to the servant's quarters. A careful peek in through the window to the kitchens revealed an empty room. He slipped inside. When he hadn't met a single soul by the end of the first corridor he began to worry. The house should be teeming with servants. The faint sound of footsteps came to him and he pressed himself against a wall. They approached at a swift and military regularity but then faded again. Ollie peered round the end of the corridor in time to see a guard disappear around the far end of the corridor.

Rather than follow him Ollie continued to head towards the Lady Tess's quarters. Chloe would not necessarily be there, but it was the best place to start his search. At the top of the first set of stairs he heard footsteps again. This time they were light and slightly erratic indicating both femininity and lack of military training, in comparison to the guard. Ollie took a gamble and strode around the corner to confront the servant.

"Ollie!" Wide, astonished eyes stared back at him. Chloe dropped the pile of clothing in her arms and stepped forwards.

"Chloe, what in God's name is going on here. Why is this place like a ghost ship?"

Chloe looked him up and down, still suffering from shock. "Um … Governor Luthor has left on a business trip and Miss Luthor dismissed the staff during that time. There is only the cook still here."

Ollie frowned. He'd definitely seen a guard walking the lower passages. He dismissed that as inconsequential and sighed in relief. "Good, then we shall have privacy for this."

"For this?" Chloe replied. "For what?"

Ollie grinned and pulled a letter out of his coat pocket then passed it over. Chloe looked at the address on the front. It simply said C. S. … her initials. She crinkled her brow and looked up at Ollie, half smiling. Sliding her finger into the gap she popped the wax seal and unfolded the pages.

Chloe

I hope this letter finds you well. I am still away on the request of your relative yet will return in due course. I would like to ask that you visit with my parents regularly. I wish that I had thought to ask this of you before I left. I know it has been many months since we last spoke but I am hoping that you have continued to think on my proposal that you move on from your position in the Governor's household. I do believe that you could find more rewarding work elsewhere and I worry that you miss your full potential.

Please give my regards to the Governor.

Clark
Chloe blinked and then re-read the letter, utterly confused. "Chloe?" Ollie enquired, quietly.

"Ollie, something is wrong." She looked up to him. "How … how did you get this letter? Why are you delivering this to me … a letter from Clark. That should not be possible."

"Chloe …" he began. "Is there somewhere we can sit and talk?" She nodded and then gathered up the discarded clothing.

After delivering the items to the laundry she led Ollie to a small study. Once they were both inside she shut the door then turned on him. Waving the letter in the air she asked again. "How is this possible and what is going on. Clark mentions things that … that are just not correct."

Ollie sat down in a high backed chair. "I presume, if he speaks incorrectly then he is trying to send a message. The … circumstances I found him in lead me to believe that his letter to you is of great importance, but he could not risk speaking directly." Chloe lowered herself next to Ollie. "I also have another letter that he asked me to deliver. One I cannot deliver. It may be related, and I'm seriously considering opening it myself." Chloe frowned once more. "What is incorrect, Chloe? What is Clark trying to tell you?"

"He asks me to visit his parents wishing he'd remembered to ask this of me before he left. He did ask me before he left. Also, he speaks of a conversation we had that I should move on from the Governor's house. Move to more rewarding work. He has never once suggested that I move on from this household. In fact he had often suggested that I should take over my father's role as Aide to the Governor. At least, before Lex … Governor Luthor reduced him to butler."

"Hmmm," Ollie pondered. "I am sure that all the falsehoods are to indicate that we should be reading more into this than just the surface words. But which of the false data is most pertinent. Could it be that he thinks you should leave?" Ollie glanced down at the letter and read the last few lines. "Does Clark think you are missing your full potential?"

"No."

"Then I'm inclined to look at the word 'worry' as important. And why would he mention the Governor? He would never send regards to Lex."

"That's it. Clark want's me to leave because he worried about me … about Lex. Ollie, I think you should know what Tess and I have found out."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."