From Chapter 5: Beginnings

Lois felt her heart skip a beat as she noticed Kal’s head lower, his lips descending. All thought of being the one in control of this seduction fled and she fluttered her eyes closed. The boat swayed, hitting a relatively large wave, and something crashed to the floor separating them in an instant.

Her eyes blinked wide as she stared at Kal, nervously. What just happened? Is my plan working already? And why did I lose all concentration? Kal’s chest rose and fell with his deep breaths and she purposefully tore her gaze away from the bare, goose pimpled flesh and into his eyes. That was of no help to her disposition, to see the passion staring back at her.

Kal slowly turned his head to search for the source of the interruption and Lois followed. He strode past her and then crouched down when he found a small wooden crate on the floor.

“I’d wager that this was stacked up here,” he explained and stood up to full height indicating the top of a stack of boxes. “And the swaying of the ship toppled it off.” He turned round to look at her. “And non to soon,” he whispered.

He brushed past her and headed for the steps back out to the deck.

“Kal!” she called. “My clothes. It would be much easier for me in my clothes.”

“I’m afraid, Miss Lois, that they have been taken to be washed and cleaned. They will be returned to you after the mid-day meal I would expect.”

With that he turned and left and Lois set about cataloguing the items in the hold … still dressed in the aristocratic dress from the previous evening.

Lois wiped her forehead with the back of her wrist. The hold started cold but heated up throughout the day. Lois longed for her pirate clothes. The thick, cream, brocade material weighed heavy on her chest.

Returning to the table she marked off another box full of rum with a tick and then sighed. It wasn’t all rum, but a large proportion represented booty of the liquid type.

“Miss Lois,” a tentative voice called down the steps. “Are you here? Miss Lois?”

“I’m here,” she replied and stepped out into the light coming through the opening.

“I have your clothes. I’m told you wanted them?” Lois heard the confusion in the young pirate’s voice. He was not as young as Jimmy but still quite fresh to the lifestyle. He obviously could not understand Lois’s desire to work, or to be in her deck clothes.

“Thank you,” she smiled. The pirate stepped down, folded clothes in his arms. “José is it?” she asked.

“Yes Miss.” He nodded and smiled shyly. When he handed over her clothes he turned and scrambled back up the steps only to stop and turn at the top then give her a blistering look.

‘Hmmm, maybe he’s not that young,’ she thought, wryly. She returned to the desk and put down the quill then headed for the crew quarters.

“I presume this is the best opportunity I will get to collect my bag with the least male presence there.”

Once her canvas bag had been appropriated she headed for her cabin … Kal’s cabin, she corrected. She struggled with her bag and clothes a little while trying to open the door and ended up tumbling over the threshold suddenly when it freed.

As she stood up straight and raised her head she encountered the muzzle of a pistol pointed directly at her. She dropped her clothes in shock and stumbled backwards, fearful for her life, but as she gathered her wits she realised that the pistol was held by Kal.

He blinked and sighed and lowered his arm. After a moment he lay back down on his pallet and that was when Lois noticed that he was in bed. She frowned and stepped forward allowing the door to finally close behind her.

“Kal?” she queried.

He grabbed his thin sheet and pulled it up and over his shoulders covering his bare chest. “You no longer need worry Miss Lois. When evening comes you will have this cabin to yourself.” He closed his eyes. “I will be on night watch until we next dock allowing us to share the cabin without disturbing each other.”

“But I need to change into my clothes,” she blurted out in shock.

He opened his eyes and levered himself up onto one elbow; his chest bared once more. “I will turn away. You have no reason to worry.” He turned over and pulled up the sheet once again.

Lois stood in the centre of the cabin quietly shaking in terror. She’d just had a pistol pointed at her, and now she needed to undress in Kal’s presence. Under other circumstances she would consider this the perfect opportunity for seduction.

‘Other circumstances?’ she questioned herself. ‘If that’s true, then why not this circumstance?’ She nibbled her lower lip while she pondered the idea and then smiled. Not that Kal would witness the smile as he currently faced the cabin wall ... and most probably had his eyes closed.

Lois slowly began to unlace the dress and made sure to make Kal aware. She let her breath sound deep and heavy, as if she were completing difficult work. And when the dress was ready to step out of she, instead, let it fall to the floor in a heap making an obvious rustling sound. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw some movement from the bed.

When she dressed herself once more for pirate work she again made sure to give Kal enough hints as to what she was engaged in.

Once finished she licked her lips and smiled. She faced the pallet directly and freely allowed herself to gaze at the sight. Covered only by a light sheet which fell in parallel with his body Lois was given a good impression of Kal’s body shape and muscles. When there was a slight shift in movement she jumped in shock, suddenly beset by the terror of a few minutes ago. Thankfully he did not turn over to face her, or discover her voyeurism.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of relief and then tidied her clothes away in a corner.

“I will be sleeping for a few hours this afternoon to prepare myself for the night watch Miss Lois. After that we will be on opposite shifts and you will have the cabin to yourself each night.” His voice was a little mumbled, coming from beneath the sheet and facing the wrong direction.

Lois felt a sharp pain in her chest at his words. He had put himself on the opposite shift to her. He had removed himself from her path. He was avoiding her at all opportunities. She felt a sob almost escape her lips but instead she pulled herself up straight and tall.

“That seems very sensible, Kal.” She paused and then headed for the cabin door. Just as she opened it and stepped out she couldn’t resist leaving without a final word of flirtation. “But I’m not sure how safe I will be without a strong, handsome pirate to protect the door while I sleep.” Without waiting for any reaction she latched the door shut and set off back to the hold to complete her inventory.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kal squeezed his eyes shut. When the cabin door finally clicked shut he allowed his body to relax. The tension coursing through his body while Lois had been undressing had been almost unbearable. The dress had rustled to the floor and he’d shifted uncomfortably. The image of her naked body had come to mind so easily. When she’d made natural groaning and sighing noises while dressing he’d found his distress growing … along with something else.

Although the general tension had left his body along with her leaving the room there was one part of his body which still couldn’t relax. He groaned in pure annoyance and turned himself over. It would be impossible to catch a few hours sleep now. But he was determined to swap to the night watch even so.

As the minutes ticked away Kal’s mind flitted around deck. He spent many moments thinking about what Lois could be doing, then many more reminiscing over last night’s meal. Time spent imagining her talking to other crew members set him off gritting his teeth together and clenching his jaw. When it began to ache he realised his reaction and forcibly relaxed himself once more.

Sleep finally came only for him to be plagued further by his dreams.

Lois was stood in the centre of his cabin, facing away. Her hair was piled on top of her head and tumbling down in luscious curls just as far as her bare, creamy, smooth neck. Kal took a step forward and lifted a hand to her neck, carefully picking up one curl and moving it to the side. He bent his head placing his lips to her flesh and then began to drag the strap of her nightgown over the smooth curve of her shoulder. Moving his lips to follow he placed sweet kisses in a trail down her arm. She turned her face to look over her shoulder at him. Their eyes locked and she smiled. “Clark.”

He jerked awake immediately.

‘Why? Why that name?’

He thrust the thin cover back and sat himself up. He groaned at the obvious proof of his unfulfilled emotional state. He gauged the time he had been asleep and decided to dress.

Kal stood and strode over to the small table in the corner of his cabin. As he pulled his shirt over his head he stared down at the three sealed letters on the desk. “Maybe these are why she called me that name in my dreams?” he spoke out loud. Reaching to lift up one folded parchment there were three initials scrawled on the front.

M J K

“A name I cannot afford to be referred to by.”

Putting it back down he quickly put on the rest of his clothes and then strode back to his bed carrying his boots in one hand and the three letters in the other. He sat down and pulled on his boots then pondered over the letters in his hand. ‘When Lois walked in I was sure it was another pirate. My immediate reaction was to pull out my pistol. Thankfully it wasn’t. But even so, if Lois, if anyone, had seen these …’

One by one he looked at the initials on each letter.

M J K

He’d written this last of the three, just before attempting his sleep, and was the most likely explanation for the incorrect name used in his dream.

C S

This one had been the first letter he’d written. A little fear and worry pricked at his heart but he pushed it away.

C S L

His eyes narrowed slightly and his jaw clenched. ‘Duty must be done.’

He slid all three letters into his boot, stood and then strode out onto deck.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tess left the Queen Warehouse knowing her Uncle would help. She knew he was Captain Arrow. Her father had all but told her during her studies. Reaching the end of the alleyway she emerged into the light and turned. Almost immediately she passed the door to the General Store. She stopped and looked up at the sign.

Smallville Trading Co. General Store
Proprietors J&M Kent

‘I promised myself that I would visit and speak with them. Well, now is the time.’ She pushed open the door and entered.

A gentleman turned from his position behind the counter and gave her a welcoming smile. Tess was about to step up to him when she heard a familiar voice from the other end of the store.

“Have you heard anything from him?”

“No, sweety, but I wouldn’t expect to.”

“Martha, he promised.”

Tess strode down past a stack of blankets and called out. “Chloe? Chloe is that you?” She made it to the darker end of the store in time to see her young maid turn away from talking to an older lady and look at her slightly shocked.

“Miss Luthor! What are you doing here?” She dropped a small curtsey.

Tess smiled. “I thought I would visit the store and make acquaintance with the proprietors. They have supplied the mansion’s kitchens for many years now.”

“Oh, then you must speak to Martha here.” Chloe turned a smiled at the lady. “Sorry,” she turned back and the smile dropped to be replaced by a professional calm, “Mrs Kent, that is.”

“No, Martha is fine,” came the deep, comforting voice from the other lady. “Miss Luthor, I am very pleased to make your acquaintance. Chloe speaks of you often. I am sorry for your recent loss.”

“Thank you Mrs Kent,” she did not feel it appropriate to call her Martha, “but I suppose it was not so recent, and I have come to terms with it.” Tess realised that she spoke the truth. Looking into the eyes of the greying woman she saw sympathy shining out. She watched as those eyes flicked between her and Chloe, eventually settling on the plainly dressed maid.

“Any word on your Uncle, Chloe?” Martha Kent’s voice was soothing. She reached out a hand and placed it on Chloe’s shoulder.

“I …” she glanced to Tess, “I don’t know.”

Tess wrinkled her brow. It was time to confide in Chloe a little, but not here. She deserved to know.

“Mrs Kent,” Tess stood up tall, “I am personally involved in the investigation.” She saw Chloe’s eyes widen at her statement. “I can assure you that I am most grievously distressed at this whole situation and am determined to see the Commodore home safely.” She smiled as genuinely as she could.

Chloe breathed deeply in relief and returned the smile. “Chloe, would you accompany me back home?” she asked and tipped her head. Chloe nodded and her short, blonde curls bounced.

Tess and Chloe made their goodbyes and, as they sauntered back through the bustling Port, Tess revealed to Chloe that she had visited the Commodore’s home and taken a personal look around. As they finally approached her home she glanced around to discern their level of solitude. It was clear that they were in a deserted part of the mansion’s gardens on the way to the kitchen entrance.

“Chloe,” she suddenly spoke quietly, turning and grabbing her arm. “I think you deserve to know that something underhand is going on here. Lex is not running any investigation, in fact I overheard him ordering someone to interfere in the official search. I fear that he is not to be trusted and I worry for the state of this Port if he continues as Governor.”

“Miss Luthor,” Chloe whispered shocked. “What … what do you mean to do?” she pleaded.

“I spoke the truth to Mrs Kent. I am conducting my own investigation.” She paused.

“And what about Lex?” Chloe asked, a dark tone evident.

“I mean to expose him when I have the advantage.” Tess looked at Chloe calculating her business value to the case. “I feel you may be able to help me, Chloe. You’re relationship with your father is … good?”

“Yes miss.”

“I have been remiss in getting to know him and I feel terrible that he was reduced to the position of butler once my brother took over. I think it would be prudent of us to speak with him. The knowledge and experience he gained as my father’s secretary could be invaluable.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kal stood on the bridge as the sun set over the horizon. The stunning reds, pinks, orange and golds shot across the sky and reflected in the ocean. As the deck gradually became quieter throughout the evening Kal found his thoughts becoming gradually darker. The solitude which stalked him every day felt more tangible. The mystery of his background had always set him apart. He felt the metal of his medallion heavy against his chest, hiding behind his shirt. He didn’t need to look at it to know the symbol engraved on one side and the name etched on the other.

Kal.

It was the only truth he knew. His name was Kal. Apart from that, his true origins were a mystery.

And that was one of the reasons he always felt alone. Possibly it was also a factor in his personality which had led to the ‘Man of Steel’ name. He felt no malice at the moniker. In fact he often used it to his advantage. It helped to keep him in his current position, and still working towards his ultimate goal.

The quiet evening intensified his feelings of solitude. He stood at the wheel, surveying the whole deck and, even though he saw other deck hands at their work, or on the way to ‘the pit’, he felt no inclination to talk with them. He actively countered that inclination on many occasions. The relationships he forged and the trust he built would make all the difference in the days ahead, but it was never easy to act against his instincts of ‘self-preservation by isolation’.

But tonight was too peaceful. Kal enjoyed the calm and there was no need for conversation.

A movement in his peripheral vision had him glancing down to the deck casually. Many movements had caught his eye as the sun set, increasing the shadows, but this one was different. This movement was subtle and graceful.

Lois strode slowly across the deck. Resting on the barrier at the Port side she gazed out into the ocean. Kal watched her. She was wearing the cream brocade dress again. He supposed that she had changed once she’d completed the inventory.

Until she had entered his life the story of his birth had been the biggest mystery in his life. Now, it seemed that she was. He could not interpret her actions, or resolve her words with her conduct. Her claim to be in search of a rich husband did not ring true when he observed how much heart and spirit she put into her work. And the fact that she requested, nay almost insisted, on working, confused him. So why did she return to the indulgent gown once her work was finished?

She turned and faced the opposite direction. Kal was struck by the full extent of her beauty for the first time when the rays of the sunset hit her face. She was unaware of his gaze and he watched as a look of awe and contentment spread across her face at the radiant sight on the horizon. Kal shifted uncomfortably against the wheel when she glided across the deck in the direction of the sunset. When she reached the Starboard side and rested on the side of the ship he groaned audibly. She’d bent over slightly and he could see the shape of her backside in the material.

He once more felt relief at having swapped himself to the night watch. How he would have slept tonight, in the same cabin as her, he had no idea. It had been difficult enough when she wasn’t there this afternoon. And, it seemed that the reaction his body had to her was becoming permanent.

As he stared at her, his breathing erratic, she slowly turned her head until their eyes locked. She was on the lower deck, he on the bridge and she had to raise her chin.

They stared at each other in silence for a lengthy period. Neither one looked away. Neither one moved an inch or changed facial expression. Kal’s heart was in his throat and he began to imagine her speaking to him.

I’ll miss you tonight.
I cannot be around you Lois.
But I shall be lonely.
Do not tempt me, my sweet lady.

She stood up straight and turned to face him fully and he was overwhelmed by the desire coursing through his limbs at the sight of how the tight bodice proudly displayed her chest. He recalled, again, the sight of her naked breasts with soap bubbles trailing down them. He almost thrust himself away from the wheel ready to stride down the steps and take her in his arms but a movement at the other end of the deck suddenly shocked him back to reality.

Lois turned at the sound of another pirate on deck and Kal felt a stab of jealousy when he saw the natural smile come to her mouth. It was identical to the emotion which had plagued him while he tried to fall asleep this afternoon, thinking of her conversing with any other pirate on board. At the realisation of the name he had given this emotion – jealousy – he flung himself away from the wheel and turned away.

He had to fight this; fight the attraction. Avoid her; avoid further chances that his desire would grow.

But he couldn’t help himself. He turned back, desperate to know what was happening. He finally allowed himself to recognise the sailor: James Olson, Jimmy. His eyes narrowed in anger.

Lois had become fast friends with Jimmy while she was still in disguise. Had that friendship progressed now?

As Kal watched, Jimmy and Lois stepped closer to each other. The sound of their conversation didn’t reach his ears but their manner translated easily enough. Jimmy looked unsure, Lois looked confident. She reached out and touched him on the shoulder and he nodded.

Kal gripped tightly onto the wheel. Only one full day had passed since she had been discovered and she had decided to elevate her relationship with the youngest lad on board.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As Lois walked off-deck with Jimmy she felt sea-blue eyes boring into her skull. Her heart was beating wildly, just as it had been since the moment she stepped out on deck ready to continue her seduction. Acting as oblivious as possible had been almost impossible when she was aware of Kal’s watchful gaze. When they had locked eyes and spoken wordlessly she’d felt an imperceptible draw towards him. No longer was she acting from a place of reason, but she had turned, then almost began the long walk up to him on the bridge. Only the appearance of Jimmy had halted that.

She was truly pleased to see him, and relieved that he seemed to have discovered how to feel comfortable with the change in Lois. Deciding to put into motion a completely different plan she had developed she had approached Jimmy and within moments they were leaving the deck. Hopefully this friendship would lead to a better life for Jimmy and she was determined to give him the best possible chance to leave the ship safely and with high prospects.

As they left the deck and away from Kal’s view Lois sent up a silent prayer that Kal would spend all night thinking of her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."