From Chapter 2: Monikers

“Miss Luthor … Tess …” Chloe spoke soothingly. “I understand. I do. I lost my mother a long time ago. And …” she let out a shuddering breath. “ … and my Uncle went missing two weeks ago.”

“What?” Tess whirled. “You mean …”

“Yes, Commodore Lane.”

“But … how can the Commodore be missing without me hearing of it? Surely Lex knows.”

“My cousin, his daughter, visited the day after he disappeared and begged him for help in searching. He has promised to send his best ships out.”

“Ah. Then please help me dress. I must go and speak to Lex in all haste.”

Tess, dressed in her usual black, strode around the Governor’s palace on a mission of great importance. The Commodore was here on the order of the King. He was to help rid these waters of the pirate menace and allow Port Metropolis to prosper.

If he was missing then all that her father had been working for would end. His death nine months ago had started that collapse and now it was nearly complete.

She needed to speak to Lex. Although he was now Governor she couldn’t ignore the training her father had given her, the sense of duty to her people. She saw the way the Port had been degrading since the previous Governor’s death. Lex was obviously not a good Governor, but then he hadn’t been groomed for the position.

As she approached his study she noticed voices drifting through the partially open door.

“HMS Planet will set sail tomorrow,” spoke her brother. “I can delay this no more. I must be seen to be looking for Commodore Lane.”

“I understand, sir.” The reply was from an unknown voice. Tess moved closer and listened at the crack.

“It is up to you to keep Captain White from finding any trail of the Commodore. Whatever needs to be done. You can mislead, disable, confound and hinder him and the ship in any and all ways.” There was a pause. Tess strained to here.

“I saw to it that you received the promotion to First Officer when the previous one disappeared. Do not let me down. I believe you understand.”

“I do, Governor.”

Tess covered her shock, hand over mouth and then backed away silently. She returned to her room and changed her clothes, dressing herself. She couldn’t bring Chloe into this … and how would she even inform her that Lex was doing the opposite of searching for her Uncle.

It felt strange to dress in normal clothes again, rather than her stark black, but she couldn’t risk standing out too much. At the door she grabbed a woollen cloak and a plain straw bonnet, placing it over her red ringlet curls.

She walked in a haphazard line trailing in and out of streets and shops. Eventually she came close to her goal and just before her ultimate destination she stopped and glanced up at the sign above the shop she was passing.

Smallville Trading Co. General Store
Proprietors J&M Kent

'They are major suppliers for food to the mansion. I should make acquaintance with them. Show them how much they are appreciated. I will return later.'

Next to the store she found the Queen Warehouse. She quickly glanced around to be sure no-one was watching then she slipped inside the warehouse.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A second week at sea and Lois was now physically exhausted. Life on-board HMS Four Star was nothing compared to this. John Corbin spoke truly when he said he would work you to the bone. Scrubbing the deck had exposed knuckle on more than one occasion.

She wiped a hand across her face, pushing away the rivulets of water running down her cheeks. A storm had appeared on the horizon earlier in the day. The Sailing Master had ordered a change of direction but the wind and rain had caught them up. Turning back to their original course to sail directly through had its benefits and drawbacks, but that was the current course they were on.

Heading directly into the wind meant the ship lurched around on the waves, there was greater chance of damage to the sails, the rigging and even the mast. But they would be through the danger quicker.

Lois glanced around the deck as she secured the barrels in place with strong lines. She was relieved that Jimmy was no longer a swabbie. Soon after Kal had approached them a week into the voyage Jimmy had been assigned as cabin boy to the Captain and First Mate.

Lois would have felt a little alone on deck if it wasn’t for the fact that Kal seemed to hover around constantly. He even spoke to her often. Unfortunately it hadn’t helped with her fanciful thoughts of him. And somehow finding out that they all called him the Man of Steel didn’t help her resolve her conflict over whether he was a harsh man or a compassionate one. In fact, the more she watched him and the more he attempted to befriend her she became sure that he was not steel at all … rather silk.

“Why do I never see you in The Pit, Louis?” came a sexy voice from over her shoulder. She dropped her line and the barrel rolled away. She seemed to be dropping things frequently when he was around.

The Pit was the deep part of the hold where the crew would meet outside their shifts. Rum was passed around reasonably freely and gambling was the main past time. Lois couldn’t risk being found out so she stayed away.

“Sir …” she stood. The ship hit a particularly large wave at that moment and she lost her balance, landing in his arms. She pushed away from him wide-eyed and looked up to try and gauge his reaction.

His expression was one of puzzlement and his eyes were thin slits. Attempting to deflect him she tried to answer his question. “I have nothing to wager with sir.”

“I’ve told you … it’s Kal.” He continued to consider her then suddenly stepped away. “You will have plenty soon enough. Keep up your good work and I will see that you receive your fair share of the booty on our next conquest.”

As Quartermaster it was Kal’s job to divide up the spoils. Was he a fair quartermaster?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois found Jimmy in his bunk later and spent some time discussing the day. She was determined to convince him to leave with her once she’d found her father. Possibly she could persuade her father to allow him into the Navy.

“What’s your impression of our Quartermaster, Jimmy?” she asked quietly. Most of the other pirates were in The Pit, but a few were snoring in their bunks.

“Kal? Oh he’s great.” There was a wide smile on the young lad’s face. “He got me the cabin boy position you know. Corbin was about to assign me as powder monkey but Kal stepped in. I’ve spent a lot of time chattin’ to him,”

Lois nodded.

“Hey, Lewis.” By the accent in Jimmy’s voice she knew he’d got the spelling of her name wrong. Maybe he didn’t even know how to spell. “Don’t talk to anyone else about him like that though. I trust you as we signed on together but I’ve heard talk in The Pit about him. Some of the crew are suspicious of how ‘e came to be First Mate. ‘Specially Corbin. He expected to be Quartermaster but they pulled into shore three months ago and Kal appeared out o’ nowhere … the Captain apparently took a shine to him.”

“The Captain,” Lois leaned forward conspiratorially. “I’ve yet to see him out on deck and it’s been two weeks. How can a Captain run his ship like that. Well, all the crew are terrified of him, so I suppose that could help. You’re his cabin boy, have you seen him?”

Jimmy nodded. His eyes were a little wide. “He keeps to himself but I understand why they’re all afraid of him. There’s somethin’ … he seems incredibly sad and lonely … and sometimes very angry, but I caught him talking with Kal once. Seems Kal brings some other emotions out in him.”

“Who …” Lois gulped, “who is the Captain?”

“His name is Zor El.”

Lois breathed in, shocked. 'Zor El. Is this the mysterious ‘Z’ … the pirate king? If so then where is father? Not on board this ship for sure. I’ve cleaned every inch during these two weeks.'

Lois resolved to find out more. If it meant encouraging Jimmy’s and her own friendship with Kal then she was more than willing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kal stood at the wheel the next day. Louis was halfway up the rigging. The young lad had been on board two weeks and Kal found his attention on him constantly. His attempts at creating a friendship had been met with resistance at every turn. The lad kept to himself, only seeming to have made a friend in young Jimmy.

Now, Kal had easily opened dialogue with that lad. Jimmy was friendly, and affable, and willing to work. Getting him assigned as cabin boy had been a risky course. Corbin was responsible for the deck hands and countermanding his decision to make Jimmy a powder monkey had probably damaged his already rocky relationship with the Deckmaster. But it had, hopefully, improved his reputation with certain other members of the crew.

Kal squinted his eyes a little against the sun and thought back to the accident which had thrust the boy into his arms. Kal had been sure that he’d felt something. The lads arms were ... slender, his hips wide. If he could use one word to describe the feeling it would be ‘soft’.

Kal indicated to a nearby deckhand, Stuart, to take over the wheel and he strolled forward to lean at the rail.

Louis was patching up a small tear in the sail from the storm yesterday. Kal watched his movements, the way he reached out; stretching one leg out behind for balance – his toe pointed.

He’s definitely a natural-born sailor. I must try harder to earn his trust and get him to confide in me.

Finished with his job Louis descended gracefully but lost his footing just towards the bottom. Kal’s first instinct was to run and help but he steeled himself. He watched as Louis picked himself up off the deck and dusted himself down. He stretched out a leg and rested it on a barrel. Reaching forward she began to examine her ankle.

'Wait! She?'

Kal saw red. His first instinct had been correct. She’d deceived him; from the very first words out of her mouth. He had done nothing but try and save her from this, and then attempt to befriend her. And it had all been a lie.

He gritted his teeth and marched down the wooden steps to the main deck. He approached her without caution and ripped off the cap she was wearing. 'That should have been my first clue; the cap which never came off, even in the blazing sun. She must be boiling hot under there.'

Long, thick, shiny brown curls tumbled over her shoulders and down her back. She looked up at him with absolute horror in her eyes and he instantly realised his mistake. Confronting her in public put her in danger, not to mention it would destroy all hope of her ever trusting him.

But it was too late now. He had to see this through and play his part as First Mate.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois knew her eyes were wide and her mouth was open. Her heart was beating rapidly. If she were a gentle English Rose she would be fainting by now. But she was no wilting flower. She was Lois Lane, daughter of the Commodore. But that would not be a good thing to reveal.

'What do I do now?' All the options buzzed through her head. 'Do I act all penitent? Do I beg for mercy? Do I stand proud?'

“Who are you?” Kal spoke, fire in his voice.

“Lois,” she replied simply, but strongly. It seemed she was taking the proud course.

They both stared at each other, unsure how to proceed. A crowd gathered and they were brought out of their reverie by the mutters.

“You do know,” Kal paused and blinked, “that woman are not allowed to serve on board this ship.”

Lois caught the change in his tone, but she doubted that anyone else did. He had started soft, then seemed to remember his position and his voice had hardened in anger.

“I do, Kal.” She continued her strong defence, referring to him by name, putting him on the same level as her. 'Well he had insisted.'

“Then you must realise that I have no recourse but to ...”

His words were cut off by a sudden increase in the muttering. Looking around Lois saw the crowd of pirates slowly part.

Walking slowly into view was a man she had never seen before. Someone who kept to himself, but still engendered loyalty, and fear, from his crew. The flamboyant garb, the red silk sash, the decorated tri-corn hat complete with red feather all signified that this was the Captain.

Captain Zor El.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Now it's time for your comments

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."