On the way to Smallville, Lois called Oliver. He didn’t pick up, but she left a series of messages, all trying to apologize for getting him hurt.

“I guess I counted on the invincible Blur too much. Why did you even come, Ollie? I mean, I’m glad we got out of there--- look, just call me when you get a chance.”

She hung up her phone, still feeling guilty for not taking the Blur’s warning to heart earlier. She rolled down the windows, and cranked up the stereo, letting Whitesnake take away her cares.

A half hour later, she pulled into the Kents’ driveway, noticing that only Clark’s big blue truck was there, and not Mrs. Kent’s sleek town car. Ever since she was elected Senator, Mrs. Kent had spent less and less time at the farm. Understandably so, but Lois missed chatting with her and missed her baking.

Lois slowly walked up the porch to the Kent farmhouse, her guilt over getting both Clark and now Oliver hurt because of her carelessness weighing down on her. She didn’t want to hear another lecture from Smallville tonight about how she should be more careful.

“Lois,” he said, his laundry basket in hand as she came through the door.

“Smallville, I don’t want to hear it,” she said, already in defensive mode.

He sighed, setting the basked on the sofa. “I was just going to ask if you’d heard from Oliver?”

She released a little bit of the tension she was holding in and shook her head. “I’ve called him. But—he, well, maybe he isn’t out of the er, hospital yet,” she said.

Clark watched her carefully. “What was Oliver doing there in the first place?”

She shrugged. “Don’t know. Trying to be a hero, I guess… But I suppose he’s no Green Arrow,” she said lightly, challenging Clark with a look to see if he’d confirm or deny that he knew Oliver’s other identity.

“No, I guess not…” Clark said, his gaze going back to his laundry.

Lois folded her arms, still in the kitchen doorway, feeling foolish and vulnerable. She couldn’t know who the Blur was, and Oliver’s secret had torn them apart. Was she destined to only love men who could only share part of themselves with her?

“What is it, Lois?” Clark asked, glancing up from his laundry. “You seem nervous.”

“I’m just—I don’t know. Guilty. Tired… unsure,” she finished quietly. “I can’t seem to stop those I care about getting hurt. First you and then Ollie…”

She felt herself on the brink of tears. Clark suddenly stopped folding laundry and walked over to her. He gently pulled her more fully into the kitchen, letting the screen door shut behind her. He took her purse and car keys, setting them on the kitchen table.

Then, he gently touched her shoulder, and looked straight into her eyes. “Lois, I’m fine. In fact, you saved me.”

She rolled her eyes. Partly because of his asinine comment when he had clearly saved her, and partly to try and stop the tears from falling. “Very funny, Smallville,” she said weakly, and then shrugged. “I don’t know… I can’t help it that I go after these dangerous stories. I just have to get to the truth… and sometimes, I don’t think things through.”

“Luckily you have the Blur to look out for you, though, right?” he said with an encouraging smile.

“Yeah. You were right. And so was the Blur… I risk too much for the sake of a story, Clark.”

“No, you do everything you can to get to the truth. You’re an excellent reporter, Lois. It’s one of the things I admire about you.”

“Really?” she asked in surprise.

He smiled. “Sure. Why else do I sit across from you at the Planet? I want to learn from the best.”

She couldn’t help a smile appearing on her face after that generous compliment. And it gave her the courage to shake off her doubts, and show him her evidence.

“Well, then Smallville,” she said, brightening. “Prepare to feast your eyes on a job well-done,” Lois proudly declared, brandishing her camera. She turned so he could see over her shoulder the photos she had taken.

“See, there’s Ray Sacks – just as I suspected, working with Mannheim,” she said, clicking through her shots. “I think they’re laundering money through the Ace of Clubs.”

“This is quite a story, Lois,” he said from behind her.

She suddenly realized how close they were standing together, his warm tones vibrating near her ear. She cleared her throat and stepped away from their intimate stance, suddenly feeling they were too close.

“So, I need to get started on this story… Since you were the one—um, shot by Mannheim, I thought maybe you’d like to help write the story that might bring him to justice?” she offered.

“This is your story. But if you want to quote me on something, I’m all yours.”

“Hmm,” she said contemplatively, her eyes unwittingly fluttering over his chest. There certainly are times when I wish you were all mine.

Clark gave her a slightly puzzled look, just as his phone beeped. He checked a message, and then gave Lois an apologetic shrug. “I have a lead to chase up. Call me if you need me? I think you’ll be safe here tonight.”

“You’re heading back to Metropolis tonight?” she asked doubtfully. “A little late, isn’t it?”

“No, I, uh—there was a guy who I was trying to speak to in town about a piece I was working on about f—farm subsidies. He’s usually busy all day, so—“

“Go, Smallville,” she said, though she wasn’t quite buying his excuse. “Besides, I have work to do.”

~\S/~

Lois was more shaken up than she wanted to admit over the nights’ events. After Clark left, she took a long shower, washing away the intensity of the evening.

She actually was a little disappointed that Clark hadn’t stayed. He always made her feel safer somehow. And though she didn’t think Mannheim or his thugs would chase her to Smallville, she still felt restless and nervous.

After her shower, she got dressed in one of Clark’s shirts and a pair of his boxers. She hoped he wouldn’t mind, but she hadn’t wanted to stop at the Talon, all things considered.

She came downstairs into the kitchen, and looked for her cell phone.

It blinked with one message—from Oliver.

“Hey, Lois. Just wanted to let you know I’ll be fine. Talk to you later. Oh, and do me a favor? Don’t go sneaking around any mob boss’ lairs for a few days, will you? Later.”

She sighed. At least Oliver was okay. And though the Blur hadn’t confirmed that he knew who Green Arrow really was, she couldn’t help but think that they were working together.

A secret heroes club perhaps?

At least they seemed to look out for each other.

She thought about when she had found out about Oliver’s other identity—and how she had believed that she could never fit into a hero’s life. That Oliver’s destiny was so much greater than hers.

Yet, here she was, actively trying to be a part of the Blur’s life. A part of her recognized that she was playing with fire. She already felt something for the Blur, an intangible connection that she just couldn’t quite explain.

Was this any different than if she had stayed with Ollie?

Only now she’d get the hero side of the man, and not the man himself. Wasn’t that somehow worse?

She shook her head, contradicting her thoughts. This was different. The Blur seemed to have a higher calling than even Oliver’s. And the fact that he was making her even a little part of that was extraordinary. And he wasn’t leaving her behind – he was putting her in the game.

With Ollie, he hadn’t been able to share his secret identity with her, wanting to protect her. But the Blur could protect her – and by not knowing his identity, she could be part of the action without risking her heart.

Lois sat on the sofa, chewing on that thought. Her heart was already at risk. She admired the Blur’s selflessness and the good things he did. But it made her want to know the man, even if that seemed impossible.

Her eyes landed on a picture of Clark and Lana on the table with the Kent family photos, making her think about the tangible man in her life, even if he wasn’t really hers. At least Lana seemed out of Clark’s life for good, which Lois thought was a good thing. When Lana had been living with Lex a few years ago, Lois had tried to give her advice, but soon discovered that Lana was full of more secrets than Fort Knox. Clark was so protective of his own heart that Lois knew that Lana would never truly be good for him – and her stint with Lex had only made her secretiveness that much worse.

Lois sighed with irritation. Lana had always rubbed her slightly the wrong way, even though she had tried to be friends with her. And Lois held a little bit of a grudge against Lana for having left Clark quite apparently shaken up by even the idea of another relationship.

Lois felt fidgety, like she did whenever she thought of Clark and her own feelings for the Kansas farm boy. She liked him quite a lot, but whenever those feelings started to surface, he seemed to manage to find a way to dampen them back down again. Like when Lana had appeared at Chloe’s wedding… or when he acted more like an over-protective brother than a potential boyfriend.

But Smallville had risked himself for her over and over again, and her own carelessness had gotten him shot this last time. She’d never forget how she felt, seeing him lying there, with a bullet in his chest—because he had tried to save her.

Clark Kent stirred so many mixed emotions in her. He infuriated her, and yet he could seem so understanding at times. She knew that if he ever made the first move, she’d be up for the idea of trying something more between them. But she also knew it would take some time to get there – enough time to let the damage Lana did have a chance to heal.

She had tried once to move their relationship forward after their almost-kiss at Chloe’s disaster wedding. She had tried to set up an informal coffee date with him. But Clark had apparently chickened out, disappointing any hopes she may have had of starting a relationship with him. However, that desire to be more than friends hadn’t left Lois, even if she would never admit the full truth of what she felt aloud.

Secure in the quietness and solitude of the Kent farmhouse, Lois curled up on the sofa, attempting to banish the ghost of Lana and her own repressed feelings about Clark. Shelby came to sleep by her feet, and Lois reached over to gently pat the dog’s back.

The Kent farmhouse was as close to a home as Lois ever had. She felt the irony of that now, knowing that the one person she secretly dreamed about becoming closer to, also lived in the one place she ever called home.

She turned on the television, not caring what she watched, but wanting to simply be distracted enough to fall asleep.

Eventually, her eyes closed. No matter how confused and worried she had seemed earlier, sleep eventually claimed her, leaving her with dreams of being rescued by the Blur, blending with an image of a friendly farm boy whom she had almost kissed…

~\S/~

Lois woke with a start. The television was off and the living room was dark. She didn’t remember falling asleep, but she knew she had been watching television earlier. Had Clark come home and shut off the TV and lights?

She sat up, bumping Shelby who was still by her feet, and reached to turn on the lamp. She squinted at the light and noticed the old grandfather clock in the hallway said 3:20. There was a more comfortable bed upstairs in her old room, and Lois got up to sleepily head towards it.

She suddenly heard a noise, and realized that it was what had awoken her a few moments ago.
“Smallville?” she called out to the mostly dark house.

When she didn’t hear an answer, Lois grew fearful. Had Mannheim’s thugs followed her? Now fully awake as adrenaline kicked in, she went to the fireplace and grabbed the soot shovel, the first weapon she laid eyes on. She held it up like she was about to swing a baseball bat, edging her way into the hallway.

“Who’s there?” she asked, hoping fear wouldn’t register in her voice. She really wished Clark had stayed around earlier.

Lois could see the shadow of a figure moving around in the kitchen, though whoever it was looked much shorter and smaller than the thugs she had encountered earlier at the Ace of Clubs.

Still holding the shovel aloft, Lois reached with her other hand to flip on the light switch.

“L-Lana?” she gasped in surprise.

Lana turned wide eyes on Lois, looking like a guilty thief. “Lois? What are you doing here?”

“I might ask the same about you,” Lois retorted, setting the fireplace shovel aside and crossing her arms defensively.

“I—look, it’s not what you think.”

Lana glanced around helplessly, and Lois thought she looked utterly pathetic. Is this what she had been reduced to? Skulking around the Kents’, hoping to run into Clark?

“I don’t know what to think, Lana,” she said honestly. “But I thought things um, had ended with you and Clark?”

Lana nodded sadly. “They did. But I’m not here because of Clark,” she added quickly, resuming her rummaging. “I’m trying to find out what happened to Chloe.”

“Chloe?” Lois asked in alarm. “What happened?”

“She—she ran away with Davis.”

“What? Why? How do you know?”

“Chloe called me. I came here to um, try and talk to Clark about what to do,” she said, though Lois was pretty certain Lana was lying.

“Clark isn’t here. He left to work on a story.”

“And what were you doing here?” Lana asked, seemingly curious as to why Lois was hanging out at the Kent farm again.

“I’m trying to stay out of trouble myself. There were some mob guys whom I had a run in with and Clark—well—“

“He wanted to be sure you were safe,” Lana finished for her, and the two exchanged a somewhat uncomfortable look of understanding about Clark’s over protectiveness.

“Yeah, pretty much,” Lois admitted. Then, realizing she may never have the chance again, she couldn’t help herself asking, “So, why did you and Clark break up anyway? “

Lana glanced away, but not before Lois saw tears in her eyes. Lois instantly regretted her question. “Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the people you care about,” Lana said in a low voice. “Our destinies weren’t meant to be together.”

“Hey, look. I’m sorry for prying…” Lois said, not realizing Lana’s feelings were still so raw. Lois cleared her throat in an audible effort to change the subject. “So, since Smallville’s not here, what are we going to do about my cousin?”

Lana nodded, acknowledging the change of subject. “I—was hoping there were some clues as to what happened during the wedding left in the barn,” Lana said, finally pulling out a flashlight from the kitchen drawer. “Lois, you do know that Davis and the monster that destroyed Chloe’s wedding are the same, don’t you?”

“Wait. What? What do you mean?” Lois asked, suddenly more alarmed about Chloe’s disappearance.

Lana seemed hesitant about how much she could tell Lois, seeing her reaction, and turned slightly away from her. “Davis is not just meteor-infected, Lois. He’s from another planet.”

“Look, I know some weird stuff goes down in Smallville… but are you seriously saying that Davis is an alien?”

Lana nodded with purpose. “Yes, and I think I can stop him.”

Lois stared at her, as if she were the alien and not the creature who had Chloe. “How do you plan to manage that?” Lois asked with incredulity.

Lana faced Lois, a slightly defiant look on her face. “Lex built technology that I’ve --taken advantage of. He created a suit, a skin graft that has granted me super-human powers. “

Lois stared at Lana in horror, “Lana, why would you do something like that? That sounds – extremely dangerous.”

Lois noticed the suspicious sheen in Lana’s eyes hadn’t gone away, though Lana tried to hide it. “I know… I—wanted revenge on Lex.”

Lois gaped in astonishment at the petite brunette before her, recalling another time when she had somehow been temporarily infused with powers. Lana had attacked Lois and her boyfriend at the time, Grant, because they wouldn’t print a story about Lex. She may look fragile now, but Lois knew how dangerous Lana could be to herself and others when she was intent on revenge. Lois suddenly nodded with understanding. “This is what separated you and Clark, isn’t it?” she asked carefully.

Lana shrugged, “It’s a little more complicated than that. But, yes, sort of… “ Possibly seeing Lois’ incredulity that she would risk her relationship with Clark to get revenge, Lana tried to make Lois understand. “I want to help people though, Lois. I didn’t just do this because of Lex. I—wanted to make a difference.”

Lois let out the judgmental breath she seemed to have been holding in, and smiled weakly in some sympathy. “I know the feeling,” she said, thinking of the Blur and how she felt when she helped him. But Lois knew there was a fundamental difference between her and Lana. Lois would never do what Lana had done, certainly not for revenge. There seemed something entirely selfish about Lana donning that suit, and Lois suddenly felt sorry for Clark, seeing that he had been fooled into thinking the Luthor way hadn’t rubbed off on Lana. But Lois didn’t want to pass judgment either. Besides, if Lana was super-powered, perhaps she could help get her cousin back. “So, how do you think you can help Chloe?”

“My—suit is infused with green m—meteor rock,” Lana began haltingly, a look of immense pain and guilt on her face. “And, um, because Davis is not human, I think I can fight him.”

“What does the green meteor rock have to do with stopping Davis?”

Lana wiped a tear, preparing herself to explain. “I think it w-weakens him… “ she struggled to get out. “Maybe it’s just a theory, but I think it’s worth a try.”

“It sounds like suicide. What if your theory is wrong?”

“It doesn’t matter, Lois. I—hope that I can help. But I need to find where Chloe and Davis are first. Will you help me find them?”

“Of course I want to find my cousin, but Lana, you’re going into this on a lot of mere speculation. What makes you think you can stop him?”

“I have to try, Lois,” she said, in a martyred way that grated a bit on Lois. If Lana hadn’t tampered with Lex’s super suit in the first place, she wouldn’t even be contemplating fighting an alien monster.

At least when I played superhero, I just put on a costume and not some irreversible super suit graft!
Lois tried to keep from rolling her eyes, aggravated by Lana’s attitude. “And I assume you don’t want Clark to know about what you are planning?”

Lana shook her head fiercely. “He can’t know, Lois. He can’t know I’ve been here. Clark – will try to stop me. And he would get hurt.”

Lois sighed, full of reluctance. “I don’t like this. I can’t make any promises that I won’t say anything. But I’ll help you find Chloe and Davis. I have to keep a low profile anyway until I can deal with my own problem in Metropolis… But in the meantime, I suggest you don’t sneak around the Kent farm like a thief.”

Lana nodded, clearly rebuked. “I didn’t mean any harm. I just—well, I’m leaving, but please, stay in touch,” she said, scribbling a phone number on a piece of paper to give to Lois.

“I’ll let you know if I learn anything. But Lana, I don’t want to get mixed up in your secrets either. Smallville deserves to know what you’re planning to do.”

“I just don’t want to see him hurt, Lois. And I imagine, neither do you.”

“That’s just it. I think secrets, even when you are trying to protect someone, can just make things worse. After Lex, you of all people should know that.”

~\S/~

Lois couldn’t get back to sleep after her strange confrontation with Lana. She had honestly thought Lana had disappeared for good. When she had asked Clark about their breakup, he had seemed definite that things were over between the two of them. Lois couldn’t help but feel there was more to the story that neither were telling her. She certainly had an uneasy feeling in her stomach with Lana back in the picture.

She knew that wasn’t entirely fair, but it always seemed that Clark was less like himself whenever Lana appeared. She didn’t want to tell Clark that Lana was in town, knowing that both of them needed to move on, for whatever their reasons were for breaking up. But she also didn’t think it was a good idea for Lana to go on a fool’s mission to try and stop Davis by herself.

But even if Lois told him, what could Smallville do about it?

It would only hurt him to know Lana was in danger, and Clark certainly couldn’t go up against Davis.
Oliver was also of the human variety and didn’t have a super-powered skin graft to back him up.

That left the Blur.

Perhaps he could find Chloe and Davis, and stop Little Miss Martyr all in one super swoop. And maybe even before Clark found out about it all.

At least, Lois hoped so.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink