Step One: We admitted that we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.

“Fired?” Perry’s hangover-sodden brain couldn’t understand the word.

“Your employment at the Daily Planet is terminated. Done. Finished. You’re fired.” Sam McWatters looked as distraught as Perry felt.

“What?” Perry still couldn’t get it through his head.

“Perry, you’ve crossed one too many lines,” Sam said.

Perry had the grace to look abashed.

“The tardiness, the absenteeism…” Sam continued.

“I can do better!” Perry retorted, realizing too late he was mumbling the words.

“You said that the last two times.” Sam looked him straight in the eye. “And the last two times, you went to the employee assistance program. And you didn’t change.”

“Well…” Perry temporized.

“Can’t you straighten up?” Sam almost pleaded.

“It’s not that bad, is it?” Perry asked dully.

“That bad?” Sam sounded incredulous. “Perry, whatever possessed you to wear that Indian chief costume to the Halloween party again this year?”

Perry looked away.

Sam continued. “It wasn’t just the crude remarks and dancing on the tables this year.”

Perry grimaced, remembering how he’d made a fool of himself at the office Halloween party last year. For the next twelve months, mocking co-workers had called him “chief”. He tried not to give away how much it irritated him.

Sam leaned forward over the desk. “No, Perry. You had to wear that stupid costume again this year. And, not only did you get spectacularly drunk, not only did you vomit in public, but you also hit on all the female staffers. And not just verbally.” An expression of disgust crossed his face. “Whatever possessed you to start fondling Pauline Kahn’s breasts?”

Perry closed his eyes to hide his surprise, and also to relieve the relentless light torturing his throbbing head. “It seemed a good idea at the time,” he murmured. He didn’t want to tell Sam that he’d totally forgotten the evening. Blackouts….

“The bosses saw that. And they saw you throwing up all over Pauline after she punched you in the stomach,” Sam said dryly. “And now you’re gone.” He pushed an envelope across the desk at Perry. “Here’s two weeks severance pay. You can keep your health insurance through COBRA for the next nine months.” He didn’t look happy.

Perry sat in the chair, only now grasping the conversation. “Fired?” How could they fire him? He’d been at the Planet for years. “Sam. I thought you were my friend.”

“I am your friend, Perry!” the other man almost shouted. He gained control of himself and lowered his voice to a near-hiss. “I kept the sexual harassment charges out of your record! Kahn wanted to throw the book at you!” Sam stopped to take a deep breath. “It’s because of me keeping things out of your file that you might actually get your sorry ass hired again someday!” He gained control of himself. “All that’s in there is the absenteeism and missed assignments.”

Perry looked down in shame, speechless.

McWatters leaned back in his chair. In a gentle tone, he said, “Perry, you’ve been my mentor and friend for years here. And you’re a good guy when you’re sober. But you’ve got a hell of a drinking problem.”

Anger coursed through Perry. But some little portion deep down inside knew the truth of Sam’s statement, and kept him from walking out.

Sam continued. “I’ve helped you so far. But I’ve done as much as I can. And as much as I’m going to do.” Firmness filled his voice. “I’m not going to enable for you anymore.”

Perry felt sick, worse than the usual hangover.

“Get some help, Perry,” the younger man said. “Go and get dried out. And if you’re sober, come back here and apply for your job again. We have an opening for a dry Perry White.” He stared directly at Perry. “Sober Perry White is a hell of a reporter. But there’s no room for drunk Perry White.” He pushed his chair farther back, distancing himself. “You can go now.”