Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#242304 07/13/05 11:23 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well, I've started playing in photoshop lately... I made a JAG graphic, and here's one for LNC. I'm just experimenting here, because I *really* don't know what I'm doing.

[Linked Image]

BrightFeather

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#242305 07/14/05 12:12 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
wow Laura your work is very good...I love it!! clap

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return
#242306 07/14/05 01:30 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's very sweet, Laura. I especially like the subtlety of it. The muted colours and the font you've used blend very nicely.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#242307 07/14/05 02:30 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks, Lolly and Labby.

smile Digital art is a new medium, and I don't think I've mastered it yet... Tineke says that PaintShopPro is the best, but I'm currently playing with photoshop, because it's what I've got. I'll probably play some more and maybe post a few more. The design and color stuff is easier than figuring out how to put it together. <g> Almost feels like playing with chien colle in printmaking, only I have to be real careful erasing backgrounds of the original pictures with a mouse! wink

BrightFeather

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
#242308 07/14/05 03:55 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Nice! thumbsup

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#242309 07/14/05 05:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like that one, Laura! smile Understated and uncluttered, which I appreciate 'cause I have so many icons; against a bright background they might practically disappear.

And I really love that pose from the tattoo series drool

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#242310 07/14/05 05:21 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Hey Laura,

The background looks really great. You have a really good eye for placement and layout. thumbsup

Photoshop is actually a really good program; some would say it's better than PSP. I use PSP and I love it. Hopefully we can trade tricks and secrets for using it. laugh

If you want to learn more about the program, you can check out the live journal community, icon_tutorial . Their memories feature is especially useful. That's where I learned pretty much everything I know about PSP and graphic design. That and just a lot of trial and error. *G*

~Anna

#242311 07/14/05 05:34 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey, Anna-

Check this out <G> Absolute Fonts I found this a few weeks ago... all of 'em are free, and they've got thousands of 'em.

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242312 07/14/05 05:39 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Oooo! Awesome! Dafont is what I've seen before, and it's really good too. All free, and there are thousands. laugh

I just realized that I must have been looney when I read your post before. You have photoshop, but not PSP. I don't know how I got that backwards. Anyway, icon_tutorial has tons of good stuff for both, and I've been able to follow PS tutorials with my PSP, so the programs are pretty similar. smile

~Anna

#242313 07/14/05 05:43 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hm. Good thing I took a refresher course in French. <g> Otherwise, I'd be lost on that website.

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242314 07/14/05 06:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, Laura,

I loved your wallpaper. smile1

Keep on the good job! wave

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#242315 07/14/05 08:19 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice job Laura. There is also a really good peach pit press book, and it is cheap! It's called The Non designers design book by Robin williams (not the actor, she is a she) Anyway I use it for my design classes in desktop publishing and photoshop. It teaches the best ways to put text and image together for strongest design. I teach both. If you ever need any help, let me know. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#242316 07/14/05 08:52 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Laura, in the top left corner of dafont.com there's a link you can click for it to be in English. I didn't even notice it until you said something because it's always come up in English for me. smile

~Anna

#242317 07/14/05 09:45 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
cool. Thanks <g> Here's another go at it. I think I'm addicted wink

[Linked Image]

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242318 07/14/05 10:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very pretty, but I couldn't read the text...

But it doesn't matter to me, 'cause I've got this lovely new cream-colored wallpaper... smile I changed my whole display color scheme to match <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#242319 07/14/05 11:07 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
oh, the text isn't meant to be legible. <g> It's there for texture. wink Printmaking techniques...

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242320 07/14/05 11:46 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
And another. I really must stop <g>

[Linked Image]

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242321 07/14/05 03:35 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm finding those last two a little dark, Laura. Hard to make out. But it could just be my pc. We know that one pc will sometimes see colours differently to another.

Keep posting - these are fun.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#242322 07/14/05 06:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
They are really pretty.

I am having trouble though w/ all the wallpapers that have been offered by you talented people. When I put them on my desktop they look like a bunch of little squares. Sorry I can't think of the correct words to use at the moment. I can't remember how to fix that.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I am clear as mud.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#242323 07/14/05 06:39 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Roo, when you put the wallpaper on your desktop, make sure you choose "stretch" and not "tile." I'm not sure exactly where it would be on your computer because it's in slightly different places depending on what version of windows you're running, but you should have the option of "center," "stretch," or "tile" when you choose the wallpaper.

I hope that helps. smile

~Anna

#242324 07/14/05 07:00 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Labby, yeah, they *are* done in dark colors. My favorite Forever Knight wallpaper is black and dark blood-red. I've discovered that I'm more attracted to dark, strong colors than pastels. Though there *is* something to be said for monochromatic! wink I just don't like pastels anymore. wink I like strong, bold colors better. <g> If you look on my personal LNC archive, that's kinda evident...

Roo, it might also help if you get the biggest version available first. <g> My little versions are linked to bigger ones that get slightly bigger when you click on them again. And Anna's right. Be sure you choose stretch rather than center or tile.

Laura
http://bratling.0catch.com

--Thomas Moore

#242325 07/15/05 02:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, I've nothing against dark or strong colours, Laura - but these are so dark on my pc you can't see anything but a square of dark, basically. Which seems to defeat the purpose. laugh If you're spending time putting together images wouldn't you want them to be seen? On these two, I can't see much but dark blue.

And, sorry, but haven't had time to go look at your website, so I've no idea what's on there.

But if these are what you want, that's cool. They're your wallpapers. smile And, again, others using other pcs may be seeing them much more clearly than my pc is.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#242326 07/15/05 08:48 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
hm... Weird. It doesn't look that way on my computer. I made another, only it's not LNC--it's JAG. I'll put it here for any JAGaholic FoLCs, I guess. it's dark, too... but there's some light to it, because I used one of the pictures I took last year of the car that blew up across the street from my apartment. After we finish moving, I might try something similar for a LNC wallpaper.

[Linked Image]

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242327 07/16/05 08:29 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, the moon pic is a little dark, but since it's night that's not surprising. Actually, it doesn't seem that bad to me. The figures show up fine on my screen, so it might be your pc that's the problem, Labrat -- or maybe my computer is just strange. goofy (Not impossible. From some of the things it does, I'm of the opinion that it's in a plot with other online computers to drive the human race crazy and take over the world.) Anyhoo, I like the moon wallpaper.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#242328 07/16/05 09:58 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I can see them, but I've also got a less-than-a-year-old PC with a top-of-the-line graphics card in it. I got a custom-built one off ebay that was meant for gaming. <shrug>

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#242329 07/16/05 12:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, my PC is three months old and also has an excellent graphics card, and I have to say that I find the figures at the bottom right of the 'moon' wallpaper difficult to see. However, as you say, Laura, different shades of lightness and dark appeal to different people. I really like the cream and shaded wallpaper - if I was into wallpapers, which I'm not, I'd be very tempted to use it. Very nice indeed! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#242330 08/19/06 09:30 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by LauraBF:
Tineke says that PaintShopPro is the best

BrightFeather
well it is smile i use both actually

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard