#239885 07/09/04 08:54 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Because of a not so speedy internet connection and limited computer time, I've only just reccently been able to watch a fanfic trailer. I downloaded 'Addicted' because I loved the story so much and now...I'm addicted to the trailers. laugh Well at least if I could d/l more without so much hassle. frown

So I was wondering if it's even possible to compress or zip these files for easier and faster downloads? If not, I'll just have to watch each one of them slowly but surely as I get them downloaded. thumbsup hyper notworthy party to Lynn for the trailer! Fantastic job. I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours and everyone else's. (Hopefully sooner rather than later).

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmmm... By zipping a file, doesn't that make it bigger altogether? I always thought you only use to zip something if you wanted many files together. Like the 11 songs of the soundtrack to Pretty Woman, and zip them to 'Pretty Woman'. huh

Anyway... I don't know the answer, but a friend of mine knows a lot about this stuff, so I can ask her tomorrow unless someone else in here know the answer.

But in the meantime, I can mention that the trailer for Masques is less than 3 mb big. What was it, 2.6, 2.8 mb? Anyway, so that one shouldn't take too long to download. It's definitely the smallest trailer available. That was my very first trailer, and since it wasn't really meant for everyone to see (I thought everyone would laugh at me <g>), I didn't fuss that much over it - so that one's got less effects, which makes it smaller.

Pelican

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Ah Pretty Woman, my all time fave movie smile Anyway, when you zip some files like WMVs and such, it only compresses them by maybe 5 percent, it depends on the type of file and how much is in it. Also, not a lot of people have zipping and unzipping programs and sometimes it's just easier to upload a file and when you click on it have it magically open without going through so many steps.

Just what I know, not that I know all that much

"She rescues him right back." smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's not zipping that compresses a video file, it is the encoding.

The videomaker decides how much to compress when choosing the RealVideo or WindowsMovie file sizes. Many of the earlier music videos found on Anne's site were very compressed and show up in small, realplayer format.

If the videomaker chooses a larger screen size and better resolution, the files get pretty large. It takes a lot of bandwidth and webspace to put up a lot of options (different size files for different downloads) and most people have access to the faster downloads and wouldn't be as happy with the results.

I wish it was up to each downloader to decide what quality they would like, but at the moment, it only affects how long it takes.

Can you leave it on all night and have a happy surprise in the morning?

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Thanks for explaining that, Trenna. smile I guess I'll just have to be patient. I think I'd be disappointed with lower quality as well. As for overnight downloads...I wish. My computer's been broken and I've been using my sister's in her room and she kind of limits my time. I technically *could* ask her about the overnight things, but I think...no, I *know* she'd kill me if she knew that I've already been eating away at her free HD space. evil laugh

I've already downloaded a few and I'll be posting my belated feedback when I find a little free time.

Sara

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Sara,

I know what a pain dial up can be, believe me I've been there. When I first started making videos back in 1998 the finished file would be 20MB and to me that was so huge. Now, since I do them with much higher quality they all come to 200-400MB, that being MPEGs.

WMV and RMs make it possible to shrink the files without hurting the quality TOO much. Due to bandwith I've had to shrink mine to much more than I would generally want, they always look so much better when they're the highest quality, which is also the biggest size.

Hope you get a new comp soon:) Lot's of catching up to do!

Andrea:)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm on dialup, too, and it can take 2-3 hours to download a trailer or a video, so I understand. The final result is sooo worth it, though, isn't it? I love videos. smile I'm remembering the days when it used to take 30 mins for a fanfic on the archive to load/appear! Granted I think I had a 14k modem then and Windows 3.1, but sheesh. And that was back when you had to pay for online usage by the hour in some cases. smile

Does your sister's computer have a CD burner? Why don't you burn the videos/trailers you download to a CD, that way you won't take up her HD space. smile

Molly
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Does your sister's computer have a CD burner? Why don't you burn the videos/trailers you download to a CD, that way you won't take up her HD space.
Awesome idea, LNCroxmysox! I hadn't thought of that. Now, I just need to find some time while she's not home to download the rest and burn a cd!

I'm glad that I have high-speed as opposed to just plain dial-up, but it's still aggravatingly slow when downloading.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sara

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard