Next Thread
Print Thread
#239773 05/24/04 01:57 PM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This is a two part post -

First part - just to say "Hi" and welcome to this new thread dedicated to all things LnC video. I'm the official thread "moderator" so I suppose that means...well, that I actually get my name under the "moderator" title. WooHoo! And also, if you have any issues or concerns, feel free to drop me an e-mail and I'll do my very best to sort things out.

I want to thank Annette and Elena for their hard work in setting this up. Also, thanks to Kaethel for her work on moving stuff about and setting up a TOC. Also to everyone who voted for doing this - I think it's a great idea.

Second part - this is a question I'm asking from a video maker perspective. As most of you who've watched the various trailers and videos and such have noticed, there are two ways we can create and present the final product. We can either do them as a small screen version or a large screen version. The small screen versions are smaller as far as file size goes and the pictures are also much clearer and crisper - less jerkiness in the video itself. However, sometimes the smaller picture is harder to see. And while the larger screen is easier to see, we do lose quite a bit in the way of quality by forcing the video clips to a larger size. It is a definite trade off, and I'm not sure which is better or worse.

So the question is this - which do you prefer to view? The larger screen (which means bigger file to download and a little less quality picture-wise) or smaller screen (harder to see but faster and crisper)? Any input would be most helpful as we all go forward pumping out these fun videos and trailers.

Thanks again, and here's to lots of videos and trailers for us all to enjoy!
dance

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#239774 05/24/04 03:40 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
When I capture my video clips, I capture them at 720x480 resolution, so the file size and picture size are bigger but the quality is also pretty good considering I'm working with VHS quality work to begin with.

I just wanted to put that in, saying that sometimes you can do big with pretty good quality:)

Andrea:)

#239775 05/24/04 04:34 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't really have a preference as to what size the videos are. I think because I have DSL, they don't take that much extra time to load. There are pros and cons to both sizes. I like the clarity of the smaller ones, but on the other hand a trailer seems to look really nice when it is that much bigger, and easier to see!

I do however prefer WMP because the RealPlayer for some reason disagrees with my computer! So... just a general comment--thanks for making the video TOC tell which is WMP and which is RealPlayer. Nicely done!

--Wanda thumbsup

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
#239776 05/24/04 08:33 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
What do you consider small or big?
I've seen three sizes used.
I need the best of both worlds. I groan when a pic has bad clarity. When I see one that looks good, but is the of a 1/3 of a CD I wimper.
Download time makes no difference to me.
I consider it a treat when it looks good and is larger like 720 by ???.
Ack, if I HAD to choose it would be for clarity of the video and audio.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#239777 05/24/04 11:53 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I want to thank Kaethel for her hard work in setting this up
Hey, hey, hey!! Correction. I didn't set this up. All the kudos and recognition go deservedly to Annette and Elena, the techies who created this new forum. clap clap clap All I did was set the TOCs, which is really the simplest and funniest part. So for Boss and Peanut (A and E [g]), WTG!!!!!!!!! dance I wouldn't even know how to create a new forum. blush

As far as large screen vs small screen goes, personally I'd tend to vote for large screen, but I have broadband, which makes a big difference. Those with dial-up might very understandably prefer small screen. I remember the days when downloading stuff was taking so long that I sometimes stopped trying. I have no clue how you make those things, to I could be way off base, but would it be possible for video makers to offer both when they upload their videos?

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#239778 05/25/04 01:02 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Download times aren't an issue for me either and I prefer the smaller sizes for quality.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#239779 05/25/04 02:02 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great to see this new section in place - well done, Annette, El and Kaethel. smile

Lynn, welcome to the dark mysteries of moderating. To answer your question, I think small is best, because it's a faster download. Personally, I hardly ever had the patience to download any videos when I was on a dial-up connection, but even with broadband speeds, they take a while to come down the line. Anything to shorten the wait is welcome. smile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you tell a video player to play just about anything full screen? You lose quality, I think, but if you sit further back from the screen and squint a bit, it looks just as good. <g>

Yvonne

#239780 05/25/04 03:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
Download times aren't an issue for me either and I prefer the smaller sizes for quality.

LabRat smile
Ditto.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#239781 05/25/04 04:02 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey, hey, hey!! Correction. I didn't set this up. All the kudos and recognition go deservedly to Annette and Elena, the techies who created this new forum.
OK, duly noted and edited in my original post!

And just to reiterate - thanks again to Annette and Elena, and to Kaethel for her work as well thumbsup thumbsup

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#239782 05/25/04 04:50 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
... and also many thanks to Saskia, who moved all the music videos from the L&C folder to this one. goofy )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#239783 05/25/04 12:06 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I perfer the bigger ones. But if the music video maker perfers smaller ones that is fine by me! So I am up for anything.
This is such a great Idea!!!! I'm so glad we have this new thread!!!

Later Days!
Andie

Am I gay? I'm ECSTATIC!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Weisz and Rae for the Rockin Icon.
#239784 05/26/04 01:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kaethel & Lynn, you're just demonstrating how we all work together on this stuff smile That's something to be proud of, in my book thumbsup

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#239785 05/26/04 07:11 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I honestly have no idea how to change between the video large screen or small screen. I must make it large screen because Kathy commented on my last vid that that's what it was, but it must be the default cause I didn't do it consciously.

Personally, it doesn't really matter which format for me. I usually use my player's settings to watch it in full screen. If the quality is bad, I just make the screen smaller till it's the biggest watchable size. smile

~Anna

#239786 05/26/04 09:31 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Good to see you're moderator of this section! I think you'll do great!

Now, regarding your question:

First of all, I have a *VERY* low connection, so bigger or even bigger, it doesn't make any diference laugh

Second, I'd vote for the large screen. Makes it look more cinema-like. But this doesn't mean I would enjoy less a video in a smaller screen!

AnnaBtG.

P.S.: LOL at Yvonne's last comment rotflol

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard