Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#239639 05/19/04 05:45 PM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hiya!

I've been looking at the lyrics for "Everything" by Alanis. I thought it would be an okay song, but I have reached one line that I'm not sure would fit Lois. It could in one way....but not totally. I don't think Lois is p-a.

The line:
"My passive-aggressiveness can be devestating."

Passive-aggressiveness can just be expressed in your normal emotions now and then. Not like it's a continual problem that is detrimental to your character, but when it is, it can follow a passive-aggressive pattern where the interpersonal behaviour can follow these patterns:

Tries to please and fails
Aggression comes out in indirect ways
Sometimes agrees to do things for others and then doesn’t follow through
Often feels pressure to perform, and has expectation and fear of failure, procrastination
Also passive-aggressively defeats his own inner critic, so can’t discipline self
Sometimes acts out annoying behavior while not consciously knowing its impact on others.

I understand the song may not be getting into such a serious emotional pattern - just describing an emotional state...like when you are just sad and you say depressed; you are not implying you suffer from depression, the mood disorder.

I may be getting into too much here, but I don't want pple e-mailing me saying "Lois isn't passive aggressive"!

Can anyone give me any examples, that they feel, that Lois may be acting in a everyday passive-aggresive light?
Maybe I can use a section of the song for a project that doesn't include that line?

Should I just dump the project???????????????

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well the only thing I can think of for now is the "tries to please and fails" part. It reminds me of her father because no matter what she did, it wasn't good enough...like that whole story about how she got a 98, and he says there's room for improvement. And really, she might feel pressure to perform, especially in her earlier days. I do, sometimes. My dad's not quite as bad as hers, but he set the bar pretty darn high. In some fanfic I've read, it sometimes mentions Lois' need to become this great journalist to prove to her father she can do it. Anywho, just some quick rambling thoughts. Good luck. I'll post again if I can think of anything else.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois is more likely to be actively aggressive, I think. smile But there might be moments of tension -- I'm thinking of WIEAK, when Lois is ticked at Clark and does the whole bachelorette auction thing... and somewhere in there is a sequence of her and Clark sitting at their desks pointedly ignoring each other. Maybe in Top Copy, too...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Lois is more likely to be actively aggressive
Totally!

Thanks for the posts guys! The hamster is in the wheel...and it's running! I'm back into WinMX as of last night. Maybe I can track SOMEONE with LnC stuff. wave

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard