Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trenna Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Last year Mariyln (Supermom) asked me to do a music video of the song "No More Blue Christmas" but it was too late for that season, so we waited until this year.

I've also tried something different, using Windows Media Player instead of Real player. Please, everyone, let me know how it worked for you, quality and time to download. Do you like it better/less than RealMedia?

No More Blue Christmas by Natalie Cole

Please don't pay attention to the Shaina Twain part....I got mixed up and will change it as soon as possible. blush

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Trenna, thanks! It looks terrific!

Well, for me personally, a wmv file is better right now, but I expect my reasons to be in the minority. I'm still running an older version of Real Player on my computer, and for various reasons am reluctant to download RealOne. Unfortunately, that has meant that all the videos you've made since I Miss My Friend have been unwatchable on my computer - so every once in a while I need to sneak downstairs and watch them on the RealOne on my husband's machine.

I would guess that the main problem you might run into would be Mac users who don't have Windows Media Player...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Merriwether
Merriwether
<Sob!>

Not only can't I watch the trailers that everyone is complimenting so highly, but now I can't watch the latest videos either? A very sad day in Kathy's life.

I have a version of WMP on my Mac but it doesn't work for the files people have been making for some reason. For the trailers, I could get audio but no video, but on this new music video, all I get is a silent black screen.

So please put me down for one who really would like you to stick to RM files. I look forward to these new videos and it's a major bummer to not be able to watch it. Sad sigh.

Kathy (still hoping someone computer savvy will transfer the trailers to an RM file for the rest of us to enjoy)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
personally, i don't use realplayer. after it repeatedly crashed my old comp, i wiped it from the system and have refused to install it ever since. so, i haven't seen any of your videos until now, trenna.

i was really impressed with pel's trailers, tho, and that put me in the mood to see what was going on with this new video. of course, i'm jewish, so i don't usually watch xmas videos, but hey... it's l&c. smile

right now, i'm waiting for it to download (the original download glitched partway through, and i'm on dialup. it says that at this rate, it'll be over an hour... <sigh>), but i thought i'd post about kathy's problem. when i saw her post, i went looking for options. none of the programs i had could do the conversion, but i did a net search. it turned up two useful things.

first was a mac message board that had a thread discussing this exact issue. it seems that the mac version of wmp can't handle the latest wmv codex, which is, of course, exactly the one that windows movie maker uses. microsoft just doesn't like to share. so, that's probably why you're having problems kathy.

more practical was a trail of links that led me to [url=http://www.essien.de/products/convertwizard/[/url] which offers a program that converts video from one format to another. it can't do wmv to rm, but it can do wmv to avi or mpg. i don't think avi is that common, but i don't think anyone will have a problem finding a player that can handle mpg. what's also nice is that the program is small (the installer is only 850k... less than 1 meg!), and it's cheap, too (it's shareware... you get a few conversions free. not sure what happens after that, but it's only $20 to keep if it works out).

i downloaded and installed it, and it seems to work pretty well. i used it on one of the trailers, and it converted it to mpg1 format readily enough. a few hitches in the playback, but nothing too bad. it did double the file size, tho. i'm going to try playing around with it a bit, see if i can get it to do better. even if i can't, it's better than nothing.

i unfortunately don't have enough free webspace to host the converted files, but, if pel and trenna don't have any objections, i can download the files, convert them, and email them out on request.

for the future, if the converter can be made to work smoothly, i'd suggest mpg as the video format of choice. either that or mov if there's a way to do that.

EDIT: the transfer rate went up after a while, so it took a bit less than an hour. just watched the video. nice job. smile it's very sweet, and i especially liked the use of the space rat scene. laugh

okay, time to head out for the night.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Kathy, have you tried downloading the latest Windows Media Player 9 for OS X? It's a significant upgrade from the original version 7 they've had posted for a while and updates the codecs to the same ones on Windows.

Of course, the biggest feature of the new WMP 9 is that it allows you to play videos directly from Safari using a WMP plug-in. Finally! I don't have to download the link, separately launch WMP and navigate to the video to watch. Instead, one click on the link and WMP is auto-launched.

WMP 7 had this ability, but only for Internet Explorer for Mac OS X. I refuse to use IE for anything but my bank's Internet bill-pay since it won't recognize Safari as a legitimate browser.

As a fellow Mac user (I'm typing this on my PowerBook G4 running Panther), I have no trouble watching this latest video from Trenna nor Pel's trailers using WMP 9 for OS X.

EDIT: You can download WMP 9 for OS X from this link:

Windows Media Player 9 for OS X

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Merriwether
Merriwether
Editing my previously disappointed message to add in a happy dance of joy! I got it, I got it!

Now why it installed with the mute button automatically set, I will never know, but I'm so happy that I "muted" just in case that did something, I don't care any more.

Yay! I can see them!

Roger, you are definitely my hero!! (And thanks to you, too, Paul, for looking all that up for me!) I was seriously bummed last night and this morning, but now I'm happy again! Yay!

Kathy

Columnist
Columnist
I finally got a break in my finals so I came to watch the video and it won't work. help

~Anna

Trenna Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks Anna, for letting me know. I changed the title page and didn't give the exact name in the URL so it should be fixed now.

Enjoy!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Awwww.... how incredibly sweet, Trenna!!! laugh Just adorable, as usual!

Pelican (nagging for more...!)

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
personally, i don't use realplayer. after it repeatedly crashed my old comp, i wiped it from the system and have refused to install it ever since. so, i haven't seen any of your videos until now, trenna.
Me too, Paul. RP was just plain awful. razz

Trenna, I'm soooo happy you decided to do this in WMP, it's very, very nice. wave

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Trenna

WOW! Another excellent video! smile1

Tricia cool

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard