Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Since I'm a pretty big fan of superheroes myself, I was wondering which superheroes other members of the forum like. I'm assuming a lot of us would pick Superman as his or her favorite, but since I may be wrong, my first question is, "Is Superman your favorite superhero?" Then, my second question is, "Besides Superman, who is your favorite superhero?" For the second question, you are allowed to pick up to three answers. If you picked 'Other,' please tell us who you wanted to pick that wasn't an option.

For me, Superman is my favorite superhero, but I'm also a pretty big fan of Batman, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man. Really, though, I like all of the superheroes I named in the poll to a certain degree.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman is currently my favorite superhero, mainly because he's the other side of my ultimate superhero, Clark Kent. wink

Before being obsessed with Clark Kent...er... Superman, I got drawn back into the genre thanks to X-Men's Wolverine (Hugh Jackman drool ). From the list that you included, I'd have to say my favorite hero probably is Spider-Man, also due to the Spider-Man movie (Toby Maguire version) and some of the cartoons, but he's probably not my second, third, or fourth fav.

I chose "other" for my third, because those choices were missing some of my favorites.

When I was a kid watching SuperFriends Aquaman was my favorite hero. I'm also a big fan of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, but I don't know if they count as "superheroes" by your definition.

While I enjoy the Marvel movies and their heroes, they aren't as endearing as the DC's Justice League heroes. I'm thinking it's because their ethics and morals aren't as upstanding as DC's code of honor. <<Marvel heroes, with the exception of Spider-Man are more likely to kill villains without any qualms and not worry about innocent victims. Although, I'd say I like underdog The Hulk, due to his Bruce Banner side >> I try to take in the whole person when considering who among the heroes I like.

I like Batman, too, but the earlier version more than the Dark Knight version. He's too dark and depressing. I like the Batman of SuperFriends, Batman (Adam West), and Batman of the earlier films (Michael Keaton), which is why he didn't earn my vote.

Sadly, there really isn't a strong female superhero whom I can admire (other than Buffy). I liked Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter) and she was okay on SuperFriends, but kind of androgynous (despite the outfit). I absolutely hate where they've taken her character in the comics lately. As a woman who has stolen Lois's rightful man, I don't see her as a positive role model.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Superman is currently my favorite superhero, mainly because he's the other side of my ultimate superhero, Clark Kent. wink

Before being obsessed with Clark Kent...er... Superman, I got drawn back into the genre thanks to X-Men's Wolverine (Hugh Jackman drool ). From the list that you included, I'd have to say my favorite hero probably is Spider-Man, also due to the Spider-Man movie (Toby Maguire version) and some of the cartoons, but he's probably not my second, third, or fourth fav.

I chose "other" for my third, because those choices were missing some of my favorites.

When I was a kid watching SuperFriends Aquaman was my favorite hero. I'm also a big fan of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, but I don't know if they count as "superheroes" by your definition.

While I enjoy the Marvel movies and their heroes, they aren't as endearing as the DC's Justice League heroes. I'm thinking it's because they're ethics and morals aren't as upstanding as DC's code of honor. <<Marvel heroes, with the exception of Spider-Man are more likely to kill villains without any qualms and not worry about innocent victims. Although, I'd say I like underdog The Hulk, due to his Bruce Banner side >> I try to take in the whole person when considering who among the heroes I like.

I like Batman, too, but the earlier version more than the Dark Knight version. He's too dark and depressing. I like the Batman of SuperFriends, Batman (Adam West), and Batman of the earlier films (Michael Keaton), which is why he didn't earn my vote.

Sadly, there really isn't a strong female superhero whom I can admire (other than Buffy). I liked Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter) and she was okay on SuperFriends, but kind of androgynous (despite the outfit). I absolutely hate where they've taken her character in the comics lately. As a woman who has stolen Lois's rightful man, I don't see her as a positive role model.
Totally agree with all you say, especially about DC over Marvel.

For my favourite 'other' 3 I put Batman, Iron Man and other. Its difficult to choose a favourite and I don't don't know if these are my 'favourites' but I had to put Batman down as I greatly respect him and Iron Man as I absolutely love RD Jr and the films.

For the Other I have chosen one that is definitely a 'favourite' but a little obscure. Impulse. I just love Bart Allen - especially in the Impulse run of comics. I read his short stint as a grown up Flash and still liked him, but his innocent, impulsive teenage self is much funnier, cuter and sweeter. Haven't managed to read anything with him as Kid Flash.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sadly, there really isn't a strong female superhero whom I can admire (other than Buffy).
I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to superheroes, having only recently seen (and thoroughly enjoyed) the most recent incarnations.

Currently, Avengers Assemble is definitely my favourite of the franchise (closely followed by Thor and Iron Man), and I'll admit to having been deeply impressed with Scarlett Johansson's The Black Widow.

Also Hawkeye.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Long before I ever got into Superman in general and L&C in particular, I followed the X-Men for a couple of years in the early 80s. One thing I really liked about the comic was the way it handled religion. The vast majority of comics either don't bring the topic up at all, or else have the people who hold religious beliefs be violent religious extremists or cultists with crazy tenets (e.g., the Superman cults). I really liked the X-Men Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler) and Kitty Pryde because they were actually superheros with religious convictions. (Kurt was a Christian and Kitty was Jewish.) The comic handled religion wonderfully, in my opinion. I remember one panel in which Kitty was getting ready to head out to Friday night Sabbath services; the nice thing about the scene was that it was presented so matter-of-factly, and it had nothing to do with the greater story-line. They could just as easily have had her getting ready to go see a movie. Instead, they chose to let the reader see that attending a worship service is a regular part of her life. Another scene in another story showed Kurt praying. Wolverine (an atheist) and Nightcrawler had amicable conversations in which they respectfully disagreed with each other's beliefs. I haven't read X-Men in decades, so I don't know how Marvel is currently handling the characters.

In any event, Superman is far and away my favourite superhero. I might enjoy others on occasion, but as Bibbo from the comics would say, "Sooperman's my fav'rit. (sic)"

Joy,
Lynn

L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
When I was a kid watching SuperFriends Aquaman was my favorite hero.
I actually almost added Aquaman to the poll, but then opted to use Batgirl instead because I was trying to add in another woman superhero.

While I enjoy the Marvel movies and their heroes, they aren't as endearing as the DC's Justice League heroes. I'm thinking it's because their ethics and morals aren't as upstanding as DC's code of honor. <<Marvel heroes, with the exception of Spider-Man are more likely to kill villains without any qualms and not worry about innocent victims.
I completely agree. While I too enjoy the Marvel movies, I'm more of a DC fan, and the reason you gave for preferring DC pretty much sums up my feelings.

It is sad that there aren't a whole lot of female comic superheroes adapted into films and television. It doesn't help that a lot of the female superhero films that have been made have flopped and most likely scared Hollywood off from doing more. The only successful transition of a female superhero from the comic books to live action, not counting anything where a female superhero is a member of a larger team that includes male superheroes, that I can think of is Lynda Carter's portrayal of Wonder Woman, and her portrayal of the character is the reason I included Wonder Woman among my list of favorite superheroes.

Originally posted by LabRat:
Currently, Avengers Assemble is definitely my favourite of the franchise (closely followed by Thor and Iron Man), and I'll admit to having been deeply impressed with Scarlett Johansson's The Black Widow.
I really like Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, too. I just wish the powers that be would give her a solo movie.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard