LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
....that is the question.

Read here. laugh

I'll admit I'm surprised that this one seems to have been met so far with more alarm than enthusiasm as we'd been given the impression that there were more than a few FoLCs here who would welcome the ability to post Smallville fic at least. But it seems they may not be around any more. So, if the majority vote on this poll is against, then we won't proceed with the idea.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
I voted "yes" to setting up a separate folder for "Other Canon", but I do have some misgivings. My understanding when I first read the other thread was that all stories would be jumbled up together in the Fanfic/Nfic folders. Seeing that they'll be separated eased one of those concerns.

I've been involved in other fandoms and not one of them has had the same sweet feel as this one. I'd hate to see that change. There's a level of respect here, for the show, the characters, and for each other that can't be found anywhere else. I'm not saying that other Superman fans can't play nice, but I've lurked on the fringes of a couple of other Superman-verse sites and the concept of polite fair play doesn't seem to exist. For example, differences of opinion here don't get blown out of proportion and turn into a flame war like some other sites I've seen.

If there are authors among us who'd like to post other types of Superman stories, I'm fine with that. It's the thought of opening the gates to the uninitiated masses that gives me pause.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted "yes" for other folder. Right now that seems to be the majority. The Smallville folder on Zoomway's site is not terribly busy and that gave me reassurance that things wouldn't change much here. Like others, I'd hate to see the nice voice of this board change in any way. It seems manners and politeness is vanishing from the world. At least we are all turning into Clark Kents.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I voted "yes" as well. As long as LnC is the top priority of this site and the other Fandoms are included in a separate folder ( :rolleyes: Forum), then I have no problem with it. I'm sure there those of us diehards who can police any people who don't understand that one of the things we love most about Clark Kent/Superman is his superb use of manners. laugh

And who knows, when I get further along in the Smallville series if inspiration will strike. It hasn't so far.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Labrat,

I clarified my previous comment on the other thread.

I would vote yes, the more the merrier. thumbsup

Definately keep them separate though. Those of us devoted to TNAOS might feel put upon to have Smallville mixed in. dizzy

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I notice the no vote is doing so much more quietly than the yes. laugh Don't be afraid to voice your opinion if you vote no - there is no right answer here! And no one is going to flame you for your views.

And, yes, I appreciate the desire to avoid changing the tone of the mbs. The friendly, welcoming atmosphere of this forum has been one of the major driving forces behind its inception. So we're not going to do anything to damage that now.

The first time, as a newbie, I ventured out into the net world from FoLCdom I felt like a nun who'd just left the nunnery. goofy So I appreciate that sense of secure community we have here.

I have to say that hearing that Zoomway's forum has a Smallville section and it hasn't overwhelmed the balance of the forum or led to a huge influx of non-FoLCs is reassuring and I can't really see much reason why anything would be different in that sense here.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
I don't think I'd care either way, honestly, but I voted 'yes' because I do think it would be interesting to see different aspects. I've never seen Smallville, so who knows, maybe exposure to some fic will entice me to watch the series. Life is all about opening doors, not closing them! laugh

.talk nerdy to me.
Kerth
Kerth
I've voted yes because I write quite a lot of fanfic in other Superman canons (mostly Superman movieverse with lots of crossovers), and like to see what others are doing in this genre. I really can't see any harm in it, and it might encourage others to broaden their horizons.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
Kerth
I voted yes. As long as it doesn't change the boards in any way. I agree that we have a different atmosphere in this fandom than in many others, and I- like many others- don't want to lose the spirit of the boards or be overwhelmed by other Superman related fics. As long as that stays the same, I'll be content. I enjoy reading and writing other Superman stories anyway. laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Voted yes. I personally won't be using the new sections, but it might draw in new L&C fans, if people come in just because there are Smallville stories.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Voted yes. I personally won't be using the new sections, but it might draw in new L&C fans, if people come in just because there are Smallville stories.
Like cult recruiting lol

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
[b] Voted yes. I personally won't be using the new sections, but it might draw in new L&C fans, if people come in just because there are Smallville stories.
Like cult recruiting lol [/b]
rotflol

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a bit of personal opinion about "Smallville" that might interest those who have only seen a few of the early episodes-
I really didn't like the show in the beginning and a lot of the middle, but just kind of hung in there.

The last 3 years of the show were different and became interesting with Lois and Clark at the Daily Planet. Actually there were some pretty good episodes then.

At the very end they replayed the Pilot and I saw it in a whole new light. So I could see some fics dealing with the end of the show as very interesting to readers here.

So that's one reason I'm endorsing the idea of new forums or a forum.
Just my humble opinion.
r/
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Call me a die hard, I enjoyed the entire series. smile Of course I was looking at it through the filter of having collected the Superboy comics and likening the series to that canon. wink It stayed pretty close to that canon until it got to season 7 or 8 when they moved to the Planet and then it crossed over to TNAOS territory and brought in a lot of the same villians. laugh

I've read a couple of efforts on Zoomway and they were pretty good. thumbsup

The common complaint about the Zoomway board is the lack of FDK. I've seen that personally. It's like pulling teeth. whinging

The last Smallville story I read there the author was pleading with readers for feedback and threatening to cease posting. I encouraged her to dual post once the forum was added to this board. grovel

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted no. I know there are people who love all versions of Superman but I'm not one of them. I'm a L&C purist, and it's annoyed me for years that people (real life, mostly) assume I'm a fan of the other versions, too. Plus, my husband is a fan of the other versions, so he makes me put up with them sometimes, and it just gets irritating.

I'll admit there are moments in Smallville that I've enjoyed, but overall, I'd be happier forgetting the series ever existed.

That said, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if these boards choose to add another forum for other versions.

My other concern is more general (less pet-peevey). I remember when these boards began, some people wanted to add sections for non-L&C stories, and we decided against it, to keep things focused. I think there's a section about it in the FAQ.

My husband, btw, wandered past and said, "It's a L&C fanfic board, right? Not a Smallville board? If I had a Star Trek message board I wouldn't want people bringing Babylon 5 into it." So that's his perspective smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Pam. I don't think it really needs to be said, but just to reassure everyone - no one is going to be forced to become a Smallville fan! goofy

The new forums would be an entirely separate section of the mbs - I'm thinking we'd probably group them together right at the bottom of the mbs - so you can feel free to ignore them if they are of no interest to you. Just in the same way that those who have no interest in nfic can ignore the nfic forums.

Oh and thanks for that headsup. I never remember that FAQ is there - haven't read it in years. So if we go ahead, I'll have to remember to adjust that section.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tip toes in and clears throat: er, Star Trek and Babylon 5 are two different universes. Lois and Clark: TNAOS and Smallville have a common universe with different characters and Clark/Superman and Lois in common.
Tip toes out, stage left.
Artemis

Kerth
Kerth
Star Trek and Babylon 5 are two different universes. Lois and Clark: TNAOS and Smallville have a common universe with different characters and Clark/Superman and Lois in common.
I know this is splitting hairs, but I don't consider LnC and Smallville as being in the same universe. It's not that I don't like some of the other versions of Superman/Clark/Lois, it's just that I prefer Deborah Joy Levine's vision of them to everything else. Even TNAOS became much less interesting to me once she left. Gone was the witty repartee and characterizations that made the show so much fun. Trying to recapture that magic is what brought me to this site.

I voted yes because the forums won't be mixed. I honestly don't foresee wanting to read any other universe's Lois or Clark. But just because I'm not interested doesn't mean others feel the same way. Which is, coincidentally enough, the other reason I voted yes. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I voted yes. As long as it is keep as a separate topic, I don't see that it would be a problem. If it was lumped in with the Lois and Clark stories, it could get confusing

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I voted yes for another forum because I have a couple of Superman stories that take place in the Superman Movie (now Reeveverse if you want to get specific) but have not yet written that many in the "Lois and Clark" verse (I have a couple in the pipeline but not posted yet because I'm still tweaking them.) The only concern I have is that I also have a number of non-Lois and Clark nfic and unless there's another topic for the non-Lois and Clark Nfic those will not get posted at all.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard