Print Thread
#238834 02/13/12 01:55 PM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I usually get a negative answer on this question, but let's have a poll. :p

It seems very basic to me. You have a plate with warm food. You get close to it and sniff and inhale the warm air it gives out. You realize it's been warmed up without having to touch it, just by using your nose. Hence, it smells warm!

I've been corrected on it a number of times, though. The usual argument is "warmth is not a smell". I agree with that, buuuuuuuut see above paragraph!

I think I may sometime exercise my right to use it as a "quirky turn of phrase" or something. We can't all write the same things, yanno. laugh

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#238835 02/13/12 02:47 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
This seems to me like an example of synesthesia.

Other possibilities:
1) When you bring your nose close enough to the food, it senses the warmth coming from the food, just as it would sense the warmth emanating from any heated object.
2) It seems entirely likely to me that a hot food would emit more particles than a cold one, given its higher energy. The nose might sense the increased density of food particles and translate that perception to being one of warmth.

These ideas are all off the top of my head; I'll admit to having done no research on the topic.

Joy,
Lynn

#238836 02/13/12 03:52 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I think there might be some foods that smell different warm vs. cold. Popcorn, for instance, has different smell depending on how warm it is. Cream of potato soup is another that doesn't have a smell (to me) until its warmed up.

If I can think of other examples, I'll amend this post. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#238837 02/13/12 05:00 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I said yes, but it's probably more of a turn of phrase that I think works. But hey, for whatever reason (and Lynn's ideas might be on the mark, I really don't know) I SMELL WARM FOOD. razz So there. I give you the go-ahead, Sue.

PS: I don't know if this is true or not, but at least for me, I can smell food better when it's warm than cold. I can barely smell it at all then. Example: Mexican Food. laugh AKA my current late dinner.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#238838 02/13/12 05:48 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I agree with Mouse. Food has a stronger smell to me when it is warm. Like pizza. I can't really smell pizza when it is cold, but once it it heated up, it has a distinctive smell.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#238839 02/15/12 03:37 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Lynn, loving your scientific explanations. wink I remember having read that heated food always smells stronger than cold food - I don't remember the mechanism for certain but I think it was something along the lines of your second one: increased density of particles.

Thanks for the contributions, FoLCs smile Keep them coming!

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#238840 02/17/12 05:42 AM
Kerth
Kerth
It's definitely noticeable for some foods, e.g. bread, not so much for others, so I've voted for "acceptable term" rather than "of course."

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard