Print Thread
#238487 12/01/09 03:02 PM
B
Bethy Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Am curious for other opinions, because my sister and I are in a discussion and we keep saying "society thinks" and "society reacts"...so I'm curious what society really *does* think on this...

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#238488 12/01/09 04:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I put "other" for why she shaved her head. It could have been to support someone else who is undergoing cancer treatment. BTW, I think some women look gorgeous bald.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#238489 12/02/09 12:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aliens! Whenever given the possibility, go for the alien explanation. Also, I think the backwrds brain could be a beautiful thing. Always try to put a positive spin on RL events. but also thinking aboout the ethics here - is it bad manners to be wondering about the *cause* of someone's appearance? So actually what to answer??? Too complex for this early in the morning. But ... was she wearing more than 2 earrings? How large were they? What was her age? Did she have a dog with her? A companion? Was she wearing clothes? Need more info to answer.

laugh

c.

#238490 12/02/09 10:38 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I work in a pharmacy so when I see a bald person my first thought is that this person suffers from some kind of disease.

With the second question ... I chose 'other' because most people I've seen with shaved heads did it for a certain reason.

Kathryn

Kathryn
#238491 12/03/09 01:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I chose "other" because the two women I've known who shaved their heads both did it because they were undergoing chemo at the time and chose to be proactive rather than lose it a clump at a time.

I laughed at the "lesbian" choice. Sure, there's a stereotype that lesbians prefer butch haircuts, but that's awfully butch. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#238492 12/03/09 10:14 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Sue!!!! You is back!!!!! smile1 clap

Ann

#238493 12/03/09 10:44 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I think my "other" on the second one is that she's going to regret it come winter, because her head will be cold...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#238494 12/08/09 02:09 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aliens! ... Whenever given the possibility, go for the alien explanation. Also, I think the backwrds brain could be a beautiful thing. Always try to put a positive spin on RL events. but also thinking aboout the ethics here - is it bad manners to be wondering about the *cause* of someone's appearance? So actually what to answer??? Too complex for this early in the morning. But ... was she wearing more than 2 earrings? How large were they? What was her age? Did she have a dog with her? A companion? Was she wearing clothes? Need more info to answer.
You’re a riot, Carol. But yes, I needed more info to answer, too. That’s why I chose “other” for both.

I can has cheezburger,
I love that site.

I think my "other" on the second one is that she's going to regret it come winter, because her head will be cold...
I thought this, too, but more precisely that her ears would be cold.

I chose other for both questions. The people I’ve personally known of that did this, did it proactively because they were losing their hair - usually to cancer, or for some other specific reason - like in support of someone with cancer. Mom was just starting to lose her hair when she died, but if she’d lived longer, I probably would have shaved my head in support.

I chose other for the first question because, as a nurse, I’ve noticed that most people with cancer usually have a certain sickly look about them. If the person had alopecia, I wouldn’t even think about that. I’d think they shaved their head for some other reason.

I chose other for the second question because I probably would have thought she was a little weird, which come to think of it, I guess bizarre fashion sense would have worked for that.

Having said that, I wonder why we would think this so odd when we don’t think it’s strange that a male would shave his head (even if he has plenty of hair). We would have thought it very strange not very many years ago though. I suppose that’s a fashion thing that we have gotten used to. If more women started shaving their heads (I’m not suggesting this.) then we’d probably get used to that, too.

And, as an aside, I remember when Persis Khambatta was in the movie Star Trek (the first one) that I thought she was very beautiful bald. Here's a link: Persis Khambatta bald - Star Trek

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#238495 12/08/09 06:36 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Nancy said:

Having said that, I wonder why we would think this so odd when we don't think it's strange that a male would shave his head (even if he has plenty of hair).
Hear, hear! I keep wondering why no one thinks it odd when men shave their heads. Some men look really good that way, I have to admit, but most don't, in my opinion. And yet shaving one's head seems like the most natural thing in the world if you're a guy - surely no one will question your decision turn your head into a clear-felled area. (They won't question you much, anyway.) I sympathize with guys who are losing their hair anyway and prefer to shave it all off rather than sport a balding look, but what about those guys who have a full head of hair and shave it all off just because?

There used to be trees here...

[Linked Image]

... and there used to be hair here!

[Linked Image]

Ann

#238496 12/09/09 04:40 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Off the top of my head (no pun) and without thinking about it too much, I'd have to say that I don't think my first thought would be that she had cancer. Most women who have their heads shaved because of cancer tend to try to offset it - wear a brightly coloured scarf or a hat or a wig, I find.

So my first thought probably would be that she was making some kind of statement. Given the way society views bald females, she would almost have to be if she was making no attempt to cover her baldness.

I don't think my curiosity would then extend to the reasons for her feeling she wanted to make the statement. I'd probably figure that was her business and move on. It could very well include that she has cancer though - and simply didn't feel she needed to conceal the fact or kowtow to society's expectations or curiosity on the issue.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard