Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#238415 04/02/09 05:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The only alternate pronunciation that drives me absolutely, completely, nails-down-a-chalkboard crazy is those pretentious idiots who mispronounce "Nevada". Especially the ones on shows like CSI who should theoretically know better.

It's Ne-vad(rhymes with dad)-a.

Not Ne-vad(rhymes with cod)-a.
I've always pronounced Nevada the second way, Sue--and so has everyone I know. Maybe that's another regional accent thing?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#238416 04/02/09 05:45 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Maybe that's another regional accent thing?
Not when you live in Nevada. wink

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#238417 04/03/09 11:32 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I have never heard Nevada pronounced as Nevoda, personally, and can see how that would be irritating to those who live there.

What drives me nuts is the extra "r" that people interject into my state, making it Warshington. And I hear it ALL the time. You don't warsh your hair, so seriously, call it WASHington.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#238418 04/04/09 01:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, I think the people who say Warshington *do* warsh their hair. :rolleyes:

What upsets me even more than that are people who automatically think Washington means D.C. Believe it or not, some numbskull gov't employee actually entered my info in the system so that my daughter's birth certificate says her mother was born in Tacoma, Washington, D.C.

Note: Edited by me after posting because I wanted to make it clear that the rolled eyes was not for you, EditorJax, but for people who say warsh and Warshington.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#238419 04/06/09 06:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, just to be confusing, there is a small town in Missouri: Nevada, Missouri.

It's pronounced "Ne-VAY-da."

Just to throw everyone totally off.

#238420 07/27/09 09:52 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, it's definitely rowt and rowter, always. "We'll take that route to get there" is "rowt". Pronouncing that "root" sounds vaguely odd, sort of funny and almost pretentious to me (I guess I have this image of the "posh British accent" from some movie or something). I don't know how I learned to pronounce it that way, but I did. Answering where I was from was tricky, though. My first 13 years of life were spent in the Midwest, and the rest after that in the West, but I've been going to college in the Midwest for the last 6 years . . . maybe I should've said middle instead of west? (And my parents come from the east, so if you mix their influence in, that muddles things more.)

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#238421 07/28/09 06:29 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm with Doranwen in pronunciation, rowt and rowter. However, when I think of the clothes brand, it's root 66. I don't know what that means, but I can go both ways with route. It's always rowter, though.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#238422 07/28/09 09:57 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I pronounce it "rooter", because that's what they pronounce it in Greek - we tend to read "ou" as "oo", because of the Greek ου which is pronounced as "oo". It hadn't occurred to me that it could be pronounced as "rowter"!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#238423 08/19/09 07:53 AM
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
I say router, because it not only looks like "route", it's also what the device does - routing traffic. I'm from Germany.

#238424 08/25/09 04:49 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It looks like in countries that don't speak english the norm is router pronounced as 'rooter'... In Portugal I've always heard it pronounced 'rooter' as well, but I don't think it has some particular reason for it to be that way. Probably someone mispronounced it the first time and it became the rule??

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#238425 08/25/09 05:10 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Back in the day (a couple of decades ago), I was working on a DOS-based application at my job, and one of the users pronounced the operating system like it was a measure of medicine or a Spanish two (DOSE instead of DOSS). Disk Operating System - the acronym is pronounced with a short 'o' (like in 'moss') unless you say 'operating' with a long 'o' like in 'go.'

I corrected him. He corrected me. I decided not to argue.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#238426 08/25/09 01:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It looks like in countries that don't speak english the norm is router pronounced as 'rooter'... In Portugal I've always heard it pronounced 'rooter' as well, but I don't think it has some particular reason for it to be that way. Probably someone mispronounced it the first time and it became the rule??
Not so, because in many English-speaking countries it's also pronounced 'rooter': in the UK and Ireland, in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa as far as I know, and probably also India and Malta as those countries use British English.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#238427 08/25/09 02:36 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sorry for my misconception blush . I got that idea from looking at the poll results (just checked them again to see if I was wrong the first time) and there were more votes on 'rowter' from people from places where english is the mother tongue.

But I suppose it's one of those words in which double pronunciation is accepted, especially considering the variety of accents that can be found in each country where english is primarily spoken. I think... smile

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#238428 08/27/09 02:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
No, it's just one of those words - like tomato - which North Americans pronounce differently from other English speakers smile

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#238429 09/23/09 03:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It is said rowter in the IT field in Australia and New Zealand.
Route however, depends on a number of things - which part of NZ/Au you're from (and hence the speech patterns prominent to a local area), how you were taught at school and under which system, industry you work in, etc.
I was taught it was 'root' at school, but on entering University was quickly corrected to 'rowt', which was (and still is as far as I know) the correct pronunciation for the geographic industry I was in. Road networking was referred to by rowts, not roots. Roots meant 'those things in the ground that feed trees' or.... well - you all read nfic. wink

It does bring up the interesting issue of speech patterns though.
I remember being in the US once and when I was asked where I was from I said Auckland "ork-land' but people kept thinking I was saying Oakland... despite the fact I really don't think my kiwi accent remotely even passes for any US accent.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard