Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238395 03/22/09 10:43 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Well, yesterday, someone wanted to make me believe that the word router was pronounced in the same way as 'shouter'. Anyway, I always thought it was pronounced 'rooter', so I checked on dict.leo.org and clicked through the forum discussion and the links it provided.

Now I want to know for sure: How do you pronounce router? And which area are you from?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#238396 03/23/09 02:58 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It really depends on the context for me. A device that helps many computers connect to the internet is always a rowter. A country road could be root or rowte, depending on my mood. And it's always root 66. smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#238397 03/23/09 03:19 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Oops, forgot about the ambiguity of the term. With router, I meant the device that gets your computer connected to the internet. blush Sorry.

#238398 03/23/09 04:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, it's root 66 and using a rowter between computers. I've never heard router as rooter anywhere in the US.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#238399 03/23/09 06:33 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I work in IT and it's always been "rowter". I believe you'd get laughed at if you called it a "rooter" in a computer setting.

As for route, well, personally it's "root" to me. I just couldn't sing "get your kicks on Rowt 66". smile I've heard it pronounced both ways, depending on what part of the country I'm in at the time (same with "creek" creek/crick, "roof" roof/ruff, etc).

The only alternate pronunciation that drives me absolutely, completely, nails-down-a-chalkboard crazy is those pretentious idiots who mispronounce "Nevada". Especially the ones on shows like CSI who should theoretically know better.

It's Ne-vad(rhymes with dad)-a.

Not Ne-vad(rhymes with cod)-a.

Grrrr.

grumble

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#238400 03/23/09 07:12 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I voted wrong. Scratch the one in the South on the first question. That should be 'I don't pronouce it that way'.

#238401 03/23/09 06:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sue, I've never heard them say Ne-vod-a on CSI. There was a discussion in TV Guide about a recent ep where a perp said To-NO-pah instead of TonoPAH. Brass, interviewing the perp said it right. Then later in the conversation intentionally mispronounced it as ToNopah to mock the brother who had never lived there and killed his brother and assumed his identity. So it was written that way, IMHO. But yeah, CSI is shot in LA with occasional scenic outings to LV.
cool
Artemis

#238402 03/24/09 01:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I say root and rowter.

What always gets me is when a TV or movie character says he's from LAN-caster, Pennsylvania. That's the way Lancaster, Calif. is pronounced, so I'm not surprised by Hollywood actors who don't know that its LANG-c'ster, Pa. But it still irks me.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#238403 03/24/09 02:00 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a coincidence. I no sooner finished posting in this thread, when I went to read the news, and read how at yesterday's White House roundtable on engery, Pres. Obama was talking about Orion Energy Systems, and kept calling it "OAR-ee-on".

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#238404 03/24/09 05:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm. OAR-ee-on sounds like a bit of Boston. He did go to Harvard. The rest of us say o-RI-on.
cool
Artemis

#238405 03/24/09 01:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
/me wonders who the Brit is who pronounces it 'rowter'... wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#238406 03/26/09 06:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Last night I remembered what a rooter is. When I was growing up the commercial on TV kept singing "Roto Rooter, the way to get your drains unplugged"
In the US, a rooter is a mechanical snake that is sent through your sewer pipes to dislodge the roots that grow into your underground pipes. This happens in Los Angeles a lot where plants migrate to water since there is little surface water. It's compounded by the fact that construction companies used orangeburg pipe. From wikipedia:
Orangeburg pipe (also known as "fiber conduit") is bituminized fiber pipe made from made from layers of wood pulp and pitch pressed together. It was used from the 1860s through the 1970s, when it was replaced by PVC pipe. The name comes from the fact that most Orangeburg pipe was manufactured in Orangeburg, New York by the Fiber Conduit Company, which changed their name to the Orangeburg Manufacturing Company in 1948.
Since the pipe is basically paper, it decays in 30 years or so and becomes very vulnerable to tree and plant roots. Every house in my neighborhood had to have their sewer pipe replaced with PVC.
I know. More knowledge than you really needed. smile
cool
Artemis

#238407 03/27/09 01:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The song I remember goes: "Call Roto Rooter, that's the name, and away goes trouble down the drain!" laugh

Maybe it is because this is what I think of when I hear the word "rooter", that I say 'rowter' for "router". huh

I do think it interesting that so many people on the poll answered Root-Rowter. You would think most people would say either Root-Rooter or Rowt-Rowter.

#238408 03/27/09 02:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's it, Vicki! I couldn't remember the song exactly. It's been years since I've heard it. I guess they don't advertise in the LA area any more. I was reminded of it because just last week folks down the block had their front lawn and part of their driveway torn up for putting in PVC pipe.
Anyway, I've always been a root - rowter person. I guess consistency isn't key.
:cool;
Artemis

#238409 03/29/09 01:54 PM
Kerth
Kerth
But, see, they're spelled differently and are two entirely different things - rooter and router. I pronounce the first just like it's spelled "rooter", and the second "rowter". laugh

And now I have that darn song in my head... it's insidious!

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#238410 03/29/09 04:30 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Roto Rooter makes me think more of Ghost Hunters than anything. The two head guys, Jason and Grant, work for them as their day job.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#238411 03/30/09 02:51 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
But, see, they're spelled differently and are two entirely different things - rooter and router.
Exactly. "rooter" and "rowter"

Now, of course, the same can be said for "root" and "route", both of which I pronounce as "root", but hey, this is English we're talking about, and who ever said English was logical or consistent? huh

PS - Sue, may I humbly suggest that instead of thinking about rooters and routers, we'd all love to see you thinking about flarks and plarks? laugh

#238412 03/30/09 05:54 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I went with root and rowter because you didn't have a choice for root/rowt and rowter. Like Karen, whether I pronounce route as root or as rowt depends entirely on the person I'm talking to. That leads me to believe that my parents' Oklahoman accent keeps slipping out of my mouth at odd moments, as does the Colorado accent I grew up with. After all, I still vaccilate between pilluh and pillow.

I also went to the link you posted and listened to the pronunciation. I don't know if you realize it or not, but the speaker had an English accent: ROO-tah. Not only do most Americans pronounce the first vowel as an "ow," but the second syllable is almost swallowed up in the growl of the final "r." So both syllables are completely different from the English pronunciation.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#238413 03/31/09 12:19 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Yes, obviously, I did notice that little tidbit about the British accent (the whole non-rhotic thing). Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked all of you.

#238414 03/31/09 08:09 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry, Lara, that was my ignorance speaking. When I was taking German in college, I couldn't tell the difference between my professors' accents, even though they told me they had different ones (one from Berlin and the other from Dusseldorf, IIRC). So, despite your fluency in English, I wasn't sure if you recognized different English accents or how much you knew about the differences between the various accents.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard