Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
What is your favorite fanfic genre? What sort of stories do you devour like an e-bookworm? Which stories do you think are worth reading again and again and wish that they never end?

Vote now!
You may choose (at most) three genres...

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
Just a suggestion - you need to make this a two-part poll so we can list the three categories we dislike most as well. smile

I didn't select "erotic" because of the description you gave. I love a dirty story as much as the next reader, but the whole "roleplay, public seduction, etc." made me leery (as did the implied exclusion of anything "tender" in an nfic). I (perhaps erroneously) understood your definition of "erotic" to mean only rough stuff or out-there scenarios. In stories like that an author has to tread extremely carefully (and be willing to toss characterization out the window). I've only read a handful of stories where the author can make it work.

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Yep! You're right! Erotic (at least my definition of it) means exactly what I specified there.

All the stories where Lois and Clark are intimate comes under romantic or WaFFy, and those stories in which Lois and Clark do *it* without developing even a slightest bit of affection for each other before/ after the act as erotic.

But I can't help but consider certain stories such as Mxysplit by Sheila, Without Consent by Wendy, A Perfume by Any Other Name by Ultracape, (Thanks for the correction Labrat!) Strangers in the Night by Julie Mack etc. as erotic, even though they end differently.

So I guess it all depends on how one views it. So basically, it is one of those situations where no perfect definition can exist. So I would say, any story which describes Lois and Clark's intimate relationship but doesn't evoke even a slightest bit of tender feelings in us as erotic ie. all passion and lust but no possibility of it ending in love in near future!

Okay now my question is, can I change this poll to include the other question "Choose your Least favorite Genre" or do I have to create a new one? confused

CG
------------

J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
So basically, it is one of those situations where no perfect definition can exist.
e-rot-ic: from the Greek eros love: of or arousing sexual feelings or desires, amatory

The very word is derived from "love" - and to me (and this is apparently where we differ wildly) it's the love between Lois and Clark that I want to read about. Sex for the sake of sex can be found on countless web sites. I'm here for the characters and the deeper meaning behind the action when things turn amorous. I've read the stories you mentioned by Sheila and Wendy and the reason why they resonated for me is precisely because underneath the erotica was their love for each other.

Church of Metropolis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Like JDG, I wasn't able to choose Erotic because your definition varies wildly from mine. (I also have to agree with her that the stories by Wendy and Sheila that you use as examples seemed to have plenty of love and tenderness in them when I read them laugh )

Perhaps it might have been an idea to have two catagories there. Erotic - the fic you fit into that category, coolgirl, and Nfic - a category that fits a broader definition to include the rest?

As far as I know, you can't edit a poll once it's been posted, so you'd have to set up a new one for the least favourite genre.

Also, can I ask why the Elseworld category has historical after it? That qualification seems to knock a lot of Elseworlds out of the running and narrow the category considerably. By historical do you mean Soul Mates Elseworlds, btw? That is, stories where Lois and Clark are earlier incarnations of themselves, from various periods in history?

Oh and I think A Perfume By Any Other Name was one of Ultracape's stories - wasn't it? Don't think Wendy wrote that one.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Okay! I guess the list I made has a lot of drawbacks in it... only I didn't see it before posting! goofy huh

CG
------------

Features Writer
Features Writer
I generally take erotic in this sense to mean a PWP-- which is not to say that the characters don't show love, tenderness, etc, just that the focus is more on depicting sexual intimacy, a "slice" of the relationship. Longer fics tend to have this as an ingredient not the focus.

So given that, I wouldn't fit Walk In My Shoes in that category. That does not mean that it doesn't have "erotic" moments, but that those moments are secondary to a more general exploration of the relationship.

You can just divide the two as erotic and nfic, but I'm leery of nfic as a category because it defines a fic by the existence of adult content-- which can be as little as one nscene. That's a bit reductive.

I add, that I'm not going to whine against the system in place, I know the reasons for it and I agree. But "nfic" tells us nothing about the type of fic only that there might be adult content.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What nfic tells us is that the story is from the genre nfic. If we're trying to list fanfic by genre, then it seems to me that nfic is a fairly logical addition to the list.

Granted, it's a wide definition - but then so are most of the others in the list, because genre as a concept is pretty wide-ranging. And, yes, we could spend a lot of time breaking down these genres into different sub-categories, but that's another project, I think. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I voted for erotic stories. But I really meant that I like LnC nfic, not that I want Lois and Clark to have casual, "hard" or very kinky sex. (With one exception - and Sue gave me what I wanted in that respect with her story, "Lunch". blush )

But really, I was trying to say that to me nfic and gfic are different things, and WAFFy gfics are not the same things to me as WAFFy nfics. So consider my vote for erotic stories a vote for nfics.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
Yep! You're right! Erotic (at least my definition of it) means exactly what I specified there.
Well, I'm sorry, but that's utterly ridiculous. I agree with JDG and Labrat in that it's a narrow definition. So I guess the rest of our nfics don't count for anything in your eyes or the eyes of this poll? (Can a poll have eyes?)

I also agree that it is hard for a writer to truly pull off an outstanding "erotic" story. I have seen two authors, and two alone, be able to do that: Sue and Sheila. So rock on, ladies, and know that your fics count.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Features Writer
Features Writer
Okay we begin from the premise that all categories are shady. But for the sake of entertainment, let's put that aside for a second. wink

What nfic tells us is that the story is from the genre nfic.
I just don't think "nfic" is a genre like "waff" or "angst" is.

In fact, to me, nfic is a rating system. Why? Because the only thing that makes a fic "n" is adult content rigidly defined (i.e. whatever makes it unacceptable for the lighter side of the boards).

If we're trying to list fanfic by genre, then it seems to me that nfic is a fairly logical addition to the list.
I disagree. Lets take a random nfic as an example. PG-fied it'd be tentatively under the "angst/drama" category.

But if we go along the assumption that "nfic" is a genre like "waff," that fic can ONLY be labeled as nfic, regardless of what its actually about.

So its PG version category ("angst") does more justice to the actual content (even if we understand its a matter of interpretation).

Granted, it's a wide definition - but then so are most of the others in the list,
My counter is that the "nfic" label is not analogous to the labels "waff" or "angst." It's analogous to "PGfic."

I think about it this way--when one goes to the video rental place there are all sorts of genres--action, comedy, romance, whatever. Under those there are a variety of movies with different ratings.

To argue that "angst/drama" is the same genre as "nfic" is like arguing, the "drama" genre at blockbuster is the same as the "R" rating.

alcyone

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
If we're trying to list fanfic by genre, then it seems to me that nfic is a fairly logical addition to the list.
Well, I actually thought of putting just GFic stories into the list and omit the Nfic category (The-so-much-criticized-"Erotic") completely because there are so many readers out there who don't have the eligibility or inclination to read/register-for the NFic stories. And it simply wouldn't have made sense to include an option which many people cannot vote for!

But as an afterthought, I *just* included it. I didn't think that so many people are going to be mad at the my definition of "erotic", not did I think "Lemme insult those authors who write such stories!"

So basically I don't think I was wrong in coming up with 18 or so categories, just because I omitted one or two (albeit major) category - Hot/Sexy/Steamy stuff and one for Elseworld - others!

And I still believe that most (if not all) stories fall under the ones I've written there. If you people still don't think its not worth it - I mean, a lot of people (GFic readers) are going to be satisfied with just the other 17 categories out there - I'm ready to ask the mods to close the poll and begin a new one with those additions!

Or perhaps I should completely exclude the "erotic" and add another option for "Elseworld - others" and make this a completely GFic poll with a huge banner saying:
"I'm sorry if I've left out any category. I don't mean to insult the authors who wrote such stories, just that my brain wasn't active enough to remember to include them! And another huge sorry for any definition that doesn't seem good enough to you."
huh

I think it could make some people feel bad about their preferred genre of writing of people start rating it low and/or with comments that could hurt feelings.
I think even FEEDBACKS do that! You see numbers there beside your story FDK, don't you? So are we gonna go remove that FDK option and keep the archive empty just like so many other boards (which I'd hate to do)?

Besides most authors would have realized by now what sort of stories would be welcome to the FoLCs out there to feel so disappointed by the voting results. Instead I think it gives them information about the general idea of popular categories! Not that the others are any less, nor have I implied anywhere that the omitted/ low-ranking categories aren't worthy!

So I probably should start a poll as well asking people to vote whether they want me to close down this poll! confused

CG
------------

Top Banana
Top Banana
In fact, to me, nfic is a rating system. Why? Because the only thing that makes a fic "n" is adult content rigidly defined (i.e. whatever makes it unacceptable for the lighter side of the boards).
The description of gfic as 'lighter' troubles me somewhat. To tell the truth, most nfic strikes me as light - frivolous. This is not a negative criticism btw - just my perception that most nfic is fluffy distraction, whether it's erotic or not.

Those nfic interlude bits that are added into gfics have rarely added anything 'dark' - unless it's a graphic rape scene or worse.

Some of the most "adult" stories in our fandom haven't been nfics. smile in my opinion.

c.

Features Writer
Features Writer
The description of gfic as 'lighter' troubles me somewhat.
My use of "lighter" was in reference to how I've seen the nside called the "dark side" of the boards. In this instance, it was nothing but a sort of slang term and not meant as my take on PG fic, which lies outside the bounds of this topic and the point I was trying to make about genres.

alcyone

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
In this instance, it was nothing but a sort of slang term and not meant as my take on PG fic, which lies outside the bounds of this topic and the point I was trying to make.
This poll is for both PG as well as NFic categories. And PG is not light -I think most of the other emotions can be brought out well only through a PGFic because in the NFic, I think the *N* part *usually* predominates any other underlying but strong emotion...

...though I've seen some authors do a fantastic job with their NFic stories which concentrate on something more than the *N*. Believe it or not, I enjoyed the PG version of "Rest and Reproduction" by Meredith Knight more than the N version, but even when I read the N version, I *still* somehow felt that the author had paid enough attention to the dramatic effect as well as the N part, which, *in my opinion*, is rare, since the Nfics do gobble up the PG versions.

Only some PG versions stay in my mind even after reading the N version of the same story, and that's one of those! Another is Wendy's Faux Pas.

CG
------------

MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
If I might make a suggestion, Coolgirl... Next time, just add a final choice: "Other (please explain)" You'll find it solves a multitude of problems since none of us can think of everything laugh

Anyway, interesting poll. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hey, Coolgirl. A lot of people seem to be irritated with you, but don't take it so hard. I think this poll was a great idea. So your definition of the genres isn't quite what several people would like to see (and I, too, would have liked a much broader nfic definition).

Well, so what? This was your first poll. No wonder you couldn't get everything perfectly "right" the first time. But really, you're not going to please everybody no matter how you define the genres here, so just don't worry about it! laugh If you get people arguing, that's not so bad, is it? smile And I repeat, the poll was a great idea. Thanks for posting it, because it was a long time since there was a new poll here! clap

Ann

J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
A lot of people seem to be irritated with you
Whoa! I am not irritated with coolgirl! I was simply baffled by her definition of "erotic". To me, it seemed that she had made it into a very narrow category that really isn't seen very often on these boards.

My posts were meant as an illustrative question for me and a constructive comment for her. I apologize if I hurt your feelings, coolgirl. That wasn't my intent.

Church of Metropolis
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Coolgirl says: I think even FEEDBACKS do that! You see numbers there beside your story FDK, don't you? So are we gonna go remove that FDK option and keep the archive empty just like so many other boards (which I'd hate to do)?

I stumbled into this post this evening and have to say that I haven't posted anything I have written yet but I have been reading on the board for a couple of years, just not as registered, and I feel that I would rather have 1 or 2 really great feedback comments than 100 "great story" and that's it. And also, from what I have seen on this site and on others, is that a lot of feedbacks are boosted by authors responding every two or three comments. So someone could have 20 feedbacks and really 15 of them are their own.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Whoa! I am not irritated with coolgirl!
Nor I. If you check back through most of the polls in this folder, you'll find comments about how a certain option couldn't be used by a particular voter because it landed outside their own personal perameters, was too specific or...whatever. I don't think they're mostly intended as criticism, so much as they're intended to just explain why a particular voter didn't choose a, b or c.

Really, that's just a natural, built-in hazard of polls! You'll never think of all options. And your poll doesn't significantly differ from any of the others in this regard, coolgirl. In fact, it's pretty typical. <g> Plus, there are very few of us who've figured out exactly how a poll works on the first try.

Nor do I think at all that you intended to insult anyone with your poll or your list of options, coolgirl.

So I probably should start a poll as well asking people to vote whether they want me to close down this poll!
Don't you dare! laugh

And also, from what I have seen on this site and on others, is that a lot of feedbacks are boosted by authors responding every two or three comments. So someone could have 20 feedbacks and really 15 of them are their own.
That's actually a quite recent innovation on this forum, SlotMadden. If you go back a little bit you'll find that until fairly recently, most fdk folders would only contain an acknowledgement/thank you post from the author at the end of a list of fdk posts. Perhaps now and then, there'd an additional odd author's post or two, where they felt a reader's question needed answering or commenting on immediately. But it was rare to find the type of conversation you mention.

But there's nothing wrong with either version of fdk, imo. It depends what you want out of it. Some of us want fdk and nothing but. Some of us enjoy the back and forth conversations between authors and readers. Yes, if you're simply counting post numbers on a story's fdk folder to gauge it's popularity or judge whether it's something you want to read then the latter form of fdk will artificially bump up the fdk post. So to speak. But that really only matters if you're only counting numbers as an indication of popularity. Generally speaking, you'll find that most of the stories which generate the most conversation are the ones you'll want to read anyway. One way or another. laugh

It's really up to the author which kind of fdk he/she receives. If it's something you feel strongly about - you want just plain fdk for example - do say so at the top of your story when you post. Our readers are generally inclined to go with an author's request on this kind of thing. smile

LabRat smile (who always thought the conversation between reader and author was the best part about posting a story laugh )

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I didn't find my poll slanted at all by my definition (except maybe the definition historical, which I didn't understand), but I was hard-pressed to limit it to just three choices. I love the spectrum of genres offered on this board, particularly since the writing is top-notch in this fandom.

I agree with Labby regarding feedback. However, I never assume that a small amount of feedback makes a story less popular. Over the years, I have found that too many people read without leaving feedback to worry about such things. (Admittedly, though, I've grown up in this area, and I still revert every once in a while.)

Elisabeth

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I think even FEEDBACKS do that!
I think my statement was sort of... misunderstood?
I wasn't talking about the popularity of a fic when I said that about feedbacks.

Editor Jax said:
I think it could make some people feel bad about their preferred genre of writing of people start rating it low and/or with comments that could hurt feelings.
She implied that a poll like this might hurt the sentiments of authors who write, say Deathfics and I just pointed out that it is not as if the authors who write stories of the less popular genre will suddenly come to a revelation that their story genre is less popular by seeing this poll because they'd have already known that by seeing the feedback they get.

EDIT: The only exception to the rule is probably alcyone's Bohemia! Girl, I wonder how your stories manage to rock even though it falls under one of the least voted (actually NIL) genre! Great going! And keep it up! wink But then, you tricked *me* into reading, so you probably would have done that to anybody!

That was a compliment, by the way! laugh

Repeat:
And if they are the sort who get easily hurt, it is not as if they are going to be hurt by just seeing this poll and knowing that nobody voted for them, because they already know that their story has received no/very-little/negative feedbacks and so it's not popular.

This poll is not here to create any new hurt feelings that isn't already there...

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm such a sucker for episode rewrites. I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread when authors can put a new twist on material we're all pretty familiar with.

Anyone else have a genre they can't live without?

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Features Writer
Features Writer
Nfic that actually has a plot. I enjoy a PWP as much as the next person, but I am always impressed when a nfic has a believable A-plot in addition to a steamy B-plot. It seems more realistic as an "episode" of L&C that way. Examples include "Walk In My Shoes" and "Mxysplit" by Sheila, "Faustian Bargain" and "The Next Step," by Sue, "When Lovers Become More" by Kathy B, and "Anybody's Baby" by Annie, which I know isn't total nfic, but has nfic elements.

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Humor humor and humor! If it comes bundled up with romance and sweet stuff, I love it all the more! Not necessarily an NFic, but it's also okay.

Unfortunately, very few authors here make me have a good laugh, so I automatically settle for a good Romantic/WaFFy one. Many authors do a great job in writing a sensual, lovely romance, so I'm not naming any.

And just-the-opposite one comes next, but I read it only when I'm in the mood - Drama.

EDIT : --I don't mean the others aren't good or that they can never come close or that their works suck -- I probably should add this sentence in every one of my posts hereafter, since they're being looked with a huge magnifying glass laugh

I hope I'm allowed to add this; but the list isn't gonna change...
For me,
And the best is and will always be
Wendy! hail - Faux Pas, A Conscious Choice and sequel - The Morning After, For the Greater Good, Happy New Tears, The Healing Time, It Happened One (Super) Night and sequel - It's A Super Life, It Only Hurts When I Breathe (I love this one!), Nightmare on Clinton Street, The Penfriend and the list goes on and on and on (some of the stories are multi-authored)

And many others follow her - (not necessarily in that order)
Sheila Harper - Faster Than A Speeding Bullet(the incomparable), Walk in My Shoes

Kathy Brown (I loved her Tea-Totaled - wish she'd made it into an NFic! And of course, WFBL and WLBM, A Flickering Flame - OMG! Now there's a real plot!)

ML Thompson - First Comes Marriage, The People v. Clark Kent

Meredith Knight - Night Errant, Rest and Reproduction, That Honeymoon Feeling

And many more but that's all I can think of right now. Most of these stories are just GFics, but make a far more worthy read than many NFics out there!

Why don't some of these authors write anymore? *whines*

CG
------------

Top Banana
Top Banana
it is not as if they are going to be hurt by just seeing this poll and knowing that nobody voted for them, because they already know that their story has received no/very-little/negative feedbacks and so it's not popular.

This poll is not here to create any new hurt feelings that isn't already there...
Probably not - but it may also have the consequence of 'rubbing it in', sort to speak, whether intended or not. Just when a writer has succeeded in convincing herself it doesn't matter.... smile

I know that's a negative thing to say. Sorry.

I guess it depends on how the comments are made - discussing genres in the abstract seems okay, interesting at times when people explain why they like or don't like certain genres.

But when the discussion starts getting specific, it then gets exclusive, leaving people out.

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Why don't some of these authors write anymore?
Some of the authors you've mentioned have moved on to other fandoms, I'm afraid. Others have dropped out of the fandom or are no longer writer. It can have plenty of reasons why people move on. Luckily for us, we still get very talented new authors each year to entertain us with their stories.

As to your original question about genres... I usually stick with the Kerth categories when mentioning them. Partly to do with the fact I grew accustomed to it after years, partly due to the fact that come nomming/voting time, stories need to go into those categories anyway. So I'm just being practical and saving me some time (for a change <g>).

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just happened to drop in here and saw my name in the thread. goofy

First of all, Coolgirl, thank you. blush Second:

Why don't some of these authors write anymore? *whines*
Well... I do write. Just not Lois and Clark, I'm afraid. Two years ago I got hooked on Doctor Who, and then bitten by the fanfic bug for that series. If anyone's interested, I can supply the link to my LiveJournal and/or my account on the DW fanfic archive. I also have a DW fic website, but I am so behind on updating that one. Just a caution: my stories in that fandom, due to the nature of the series, are not really of the same sort as my L&C fic.

Thanks for asking smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
COOLGIRL SAYS: And the best is and will always be

You say you don't mean for this poll to hurt any feelings and then you make comments like that . Do you not think your statement comes off as a slight to anyone currently writing stories? I have not posted anything I have written yet, but statements like this make me not even want to bother. Why should I? They clearly won't measure up.

I have been reading on this site for quitr some time and I have favorite authors, too, but I don't go around proclaiming who they are. And I don't follow up my list with "and they always will be, and no one else can even come close, so, don't bother trying, suckers." Or maybe that is just my interpretation. Talk about rubbing it in, you think?

Why don't we just call this what it is: The narrow definition of erotica in the original list was questioned by several people and when it dawned on the originator that their preferred genre wasn't as "demanded" as they thought, they went on the defensive.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think it's probably best if you just insert a small 'imo' in coolgirl's post, SlotMadden, and leave it at that. wink

Such statements are always personal in nature and there are no rules here that state you - or anyone else for that matter - have to agree with them.

But there's very little to be gained by being wounded by such personal opinions. Agree with them. Don't agree with them. Shrug and move on if it's the latter.

Certainly, letting one person's praise for their favourite author dissuade you from writing and posting your own fanfic seems pretty pointless. Who knows how many readers out there might enjoy your work? Until you try, you'll never know. But it's probably best to accept right now that no matter how talented an author you are, there will always be other authors more talented, less talented - both in reality and perceived to be by other readers. There are fanfic authors out there who are enormously popular whose attraction escapes me. laugh But what the hey - different strokes and all that.

If you're constantly comparing yourself to everyone else and trying to beat them, you're doomed to frustration before you even begin. Write your stories for the fun of it, for the pleasure they give you. Post them to share that pleasure with others. And I'm sure you'll find some willing readers here on the forum. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
LABRAT SAYS: If you're constantly comparing yourself to everyone else and trying to beat them, you're doomed to frustration before you even begin.

I actually was being sarcastic when I said they wouldn't measure up. At least not by the standards set in this poll!

But I shall give it a try anyway. I have never showed anyone anything I wrote, so it should be an adventure, right?

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
You say you don't mean for this poll to hurt any feelings and then you make comments like that .
Point taken!

Do you not think your statement comes off as a slight to anyone currently writing stories?
No, honestly I didn't think so, but you think I should think so?

I have not posted anything I have written yet,
Post them!

I do post mine, and even I know they don't/aren't ever going to measure up to those better writers.

Besides, what if I really like your stories? I don't want the FoLCs to miss your stories just because of one comment from me (trust me, there are going to be many - mostly positive and some negative too!) laugh

The narrow definition of erotica in the original list was questioned by several people and when it dawned on the originator that their preferred genre wasn't as "demanded" as they thought, they went on the defensive.
Elaborate originator.

Thought I should paste this quote of mine here!!! laugh
"I'm sorry if I've left out any category. I don't mean to insult the authors who wrote such stories, just that my brain wasn't active enough to remember to include them! And another huge sorry for any definition that doesn't seem good enough to you."
And probably call this the greatest WHINE, WHINE, WHINE that I've experienced ever since I registered in this forum (in my opinion, again!) laugh

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I do post mine, and even I know they don't/aren't ever going to measure up to those better writers.
Hey, you never know. My first stories all make me cringe when I think about them... but with practice and feedback and encouragement, I like to think I've improved over the years laugh I feel like I've learned an enormous amount about the craft of writing, POV, how to structure things, etc. I don't think you can really understand stuff like that without trying and failing a few times!

So don't write yourself off so easily. wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
One:
So don't write yourself off so easily.
Thanks, but it's still tough to come up with something that's not already been done before! Just last week I had this brilliant idea. I thought it was something new, different and wonderful but then I stumbled across a similar story and so I put mine away. I mean, I could go out there and bring the most weird plot from somewhere and make my story an Original one, but I still think it would all have written before - somewhere by someone! And those that haven't been written probably won't appeal to me or the readers because writing something new and getting people to recognize it is difficult!

Two:
POLL PROBLEM
I'm not criticizing any of the authors; having posted some NFics of my own, it would mean I'm criticizing myself as much... but look at the loads of NFic we have here! Most of them don't contain any plot at all, just a small vignette with some of *N* stuff. I agree that some are really hot/sensual but most of them are just the same thing put in different words! Same story, same bedroom stuff, different words! What's the big deal?

I can name a dozen popular stories by popular authors which didn't make an attractive read to me at all. I don't want to name any right now, since I'm probably going to get another dozen accusing fingers pointed at me.

And sometimes even if the plot's good it's not popular because it's not the *plot* readers want, it's the *steam*! So, you can't basically categorize an NFic as steamy/sexy and give that option because even a Death*N*fic will have steam and that's why people will probably read it!

Whereas in PG stories, the plot, the other emotions etc. are prominent! That's why I still honestly don't think anything's wrong in the list I made! Because it's more PG-focussed (but NFic inclusive), now that I look at it. If I were to create another list exclusively for NFics then I'd have come up with the same list (with an option for "Elseworld- new beginnings" but no hot/sexy/steamy/sensual column because that's something that's a part and parcel of a story being an NFic, be it a NFic romance or horror)

And one other thing, if I were to remove that "not mild tender romance or love" from 2. EROTIC column then that story will probably fall under Romance/WaFF category, won't it?!?! And if I did include something extreme, it would come under 9.Paranormal (supernatural/ horror etc.)

So how would I describe something like kink/ roleplay/ sex for sex sake/ pheromone lovemaking where both don't know what they're doing? Steam? Hot? or EROTIC? I don't think Steam/hot/sensual can describe it because it's gonna be something very general and everybody will vote for it, something which every NFic should possess!

So how would I caption an option which only some people like to read such as kink? That's why I came up with "Erotic" and specified *that* definition there.

I agree I should probably have made it more subtle but I'm so sorry I possess only that much vocabulary and brain! laugh and if you look at the poll, you'll find that the definition for EROTIC is the lengthiest and I didn't want to make it any more lengthier!

Three:
I have been reading on this site for quitr some time and I have favorite authors, too, but I don't go around proclaiming who they are. And I don't follow up my list with "and they always will be, and no one else can even come close, so, don't bother trying, suckers."
I don't think it means that I shouldn't post my favorite authors/stories names just because the rest (myself included) are going to be disappointed that their names didn't feature in the list! There are hundreds of authors here and I think those who are best need to be given a boost like this somewhere ( so that I can elicit more stories from them somehow! laugh ) Besides I named only whom I think are the best - if I were to name some of the worst then I'd probably hurt their feelings, which I didn't.

So, I think, as Labrat says, it's better not to compare with the others but just write for the fun of it, even though we know it's probably not going to be the best story in the world! But occassionally it's good to say to a really exceptional author, "You are the best!"

There, I've gotten it all out of my mind! *a huge sigh*

CG
------------

Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't think it means that I shouldn't post my favorite authors/stories names just because the rest (myself included) are going to be disappointed that their names didn't feature in the list! There are hundreds of authors here and I think those who are best need to be given a boost like this somewhere
How about a private e-mail or a PM to the author(s) to let them know? If they're still around they'll really appreciate it and find it encouraging.

There have been 'favourite' lists in the past on these mbs and they always wind up discouraging more writers than they encourage.

Here we have the Kerths - it's sort of a group thing, though, because a lot of people nominate and then vote on the stories. You can check out the past lists of nominees.

I know in RL there are these types of award lists - but people on those lists are paid for what they do. Here, that's not the case. We write because , well, because smile
But it's hard to be reminded that, well, there's a reason why we're not paid for this stuff. smile

This has strayed away from your topic of genre preference , I know.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know this is a big thing with you, Carol, but sometimes I get tired of the idea that if I want to compliment someone, I have to draw them aside and whisper it. Not everybody's the best or the most popular. We need to be able to deal with being -gasp- "left off the list." These boards are for discussion, after all. That includes people talking about the stories they love.

Let me put it this way...

Bad:
"Oh, don't read anything by writer X, all their stuff sucks bigtime"

Good:
"Oh, I love everything by writer Y, they've got such a great way with words."

Writer X has every right to be offended by the first one, and the admins here would squash that ASAP. That's over the line. If, however, Writer X doesn't like the second one, he or she should just suck it up and move on, not whine about it.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I guess we're all different, Pam. Surely I have as much right to express my feelings about this as others do to ignore those feelings?

c.

J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
So how would I describe something like kink/ roleplay/ sex for sex sake/ pheromone lovemaking where both don't know what they're doing?
Just like that: "Kinky/roleplaying" smile

Church of Metropolis
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Bad:
"Oh, don't read anything by writer X, all their stuff sucks bigtime"
Good:
"Oh, I love everything by writer Y, they've got such a great way with words."
Oh! I love the way you put it, Pam! sloppy

Surely I have as much right to express my feelings about this as others do to ignore those feelings?
How about truce? You follow yours and I follow mine and the admins decide what to do if we step out of line!!! laugh

Honestly, I hate leaving a bad comment about somebody's story, so I don't leave a comment at all for such stories. I know people do that to my own stories.

But if a story is really exceptional then I think it is my *duty* to leave loads of FDK for that author and coax them into writing more and more for myself as well as the rest of the FoLCs!

Just like that: "Kinky/roleplaying"
I *did* think of it, honestly! But since the rest of the options had a collective name, I decided to come up with this one, otherwise the list would have gone on and on and on... I, for one, can come up with at least five to follow Kinky and roleplay...

I want a collective term. Give me one, so that I can use it for my next poll for least favorite fic!!! laugh

And as I said before, I accept that my list is not perfect/ exhaustive!

CG
------------

Top Banana
Top Banana
But if a story is really exceptional then I think it is my *duty* to leave loads of FDK for that author and coax them into writing more
That's great smile - it's what the fdk folders on specific stories are for in the fanfic section. So fdk away.

Just be aware that when you post lists elsewhere, you are discouraging writers as much as encouraging others. Unintended consequences and all that. smile

c.

J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
I want a collective term. Give me one, so that I can use it for my next poll for least favorite fic!!!
And I say again: "Kinky/roleplay"

By now we all know exactly what it means. laugh

Church of Metropolis
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Just be aware that when you post lists elsewhere, you are discouraging writers as much as encouraging others.
You're probably right!

You think I ought to stop posting polls because right now I'm feeling so discouraged by all there negative comments about

a. coming up with a list of (almost) all genre for fun
b. posting a poll
c. giving a controversial definition for erotic
d. accidentally omitting one or more genre types
e. getting (lemme count) three... no four accusing fingers pointed at me

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Surely I have as much right to express my feelings about this as others do to ignore those feelings?
Where did I suggest otherwise?

But you know very well that's not sufficient -- if I really and truly feel that writer X sucks, shouldn't I have the right to say that? Loudly and often? What if every time someone mentions writer X, I jump in and say they suck. Would you support my right to express those feelings?

We're not talking about rights, here. We're talking about community norms and politeness.

But the opposite extreme to the above is that if writer Y really does write good stories, and gets good feedback, and wins awards... but still complains and makes a fuss and threatens to leave every time there's not *enough* feedback, or from the right people, or their name is left off of any sort of favorites list? Usually in PM or email plaintively asking "why do you hate me?". You know, behind their monitors, people will start to roll their eyes and say, "yeesh, I'd better include something by writer Y just to avoid all the crap that'll happen if I leave them out."

That part gets really annoying after a while. One starts to wonder if the good stories are worth putting up with all the prima donna behavior.

I've run into that sort of behavior before. I guess something triggered the memories today and I vented. Sorry for veering from the thread topic, coolgirl!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
if writer Y really does write good stories, and gets good feedback, and wins awards... but still complains and makes a fuss and threatens to leave every time there's not *enough* feedback, or from the right people, or their name is left off of any sort of favorites list?
The same will probably happen if somebody asks, for example

"I'm new to the boards. Can you please suggest me some good stories?"

Don't people reply to such posts? :rolleyes: And do authors complain and whine that nobody's mentioned their names/stories?

How different is my listing out my favorite fics here from the above situation to the question?

confused

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
when you post lists elsewhere, you are discouraging writers as much as encouraging others.
I'm not at all certain that's true. Why can't the unmentioned writers either tell themselves 1) well, big deal, they just don't like the kind of stuff I like to write, or 2) gosh, maybe next time I will make the list! Or better yet, 3) drat, I didn't make the list, oh well, who cares? There are thousands of stories and hundreds of authors. Nobody is gonna show up on all those lists. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I just think it's a shame when people are scolded for talking about what they like, because they might have, somewhere, somehow, discouraged some aspiring insecure author. We all need to have thicker skins than that.

PJ
p.s., for those of you thinking, "oh yeah, it's easy for her to say people shouldn't feel discouraged, she's gotten lots of awards," -- trust me, there have been times when I was left of the list and felt discouraged. I just don't think it'd be right for me to whine about it, and I don't want anyone else whining on my behalf, either.

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, but, Pam, you're imposing your own standards on others. But who can speak for certainty about how all others feel? And who has the right to tell others how they should feel?

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
you're imposing your own standards on others. But who can speak for certainty about how all others feel? And who has the right to tell others how they should feel?
Quite a few people *think* they do... wink

But... if *you* want to be free to express your feelings on the feelings of others (as you are), then you've got to let me express *my* feelings about your feelings on the feelings of others. goofy ) But we've had that argument for years, round about Kerth time, so never mind. smile And we had the same difficulty of defining an nfic category when we first started the Kerth Awards. Is it a rating, or a parallel set of genres? It didn't seem possible for us to do it justice, which is why we dropped that from the Kerths and let the NKerths take over. So anyway... I feel your pain wink

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
I want a collective term. Give me one, so that I can use it for my next poll for least favorite fic!!!
I am guessing you either don't mind or haven't learned from the backlash that come up with your first poll, because if people didn't react well to a favorite-genre poll because they felt it could leave people out or make writers feel bad if their preferred type of fic wasn't being listed, imagine how writers will feel when they find out their work -- a true labor of love to some people -- is the least favorite among readers. Talk about a slap in the face. I honestly think it will discourage people from writing.

I personally don't see the benefit of making people feel bad and/or insecure about something that it takes a lot of guts to do in the first place. Writing and posting fic is basically putting your heart on paper -- and putting aside your vulnerability to allow others to judge it.

It's just something to think about.

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
they felt it could leave people out or make writers feel bad if their preferred type of fic wasn't being listed, imagine how writers will feel when they find out their work -- a true labor of love to some people -- is the least favorite among readers.
I think, if we go by your opinion, we ought to remove Kerth Awards, Feedbacks, not to mention Polls like this, perhaps every discussion in this forum, because somewhere somehow someone is going to be hurt (just as I'm hurt by the way you've been constantly criticizing *me* and *not just my poll* even after I've admitted that my poll has drawbacks!!!)

Maybe this forum should accept just stories (like so many forums I know) and let the FDKs be mailed to the author privately, if good authors like you react like this!
I am guessing you either don't mind or haven't learned from the backlash that come up with your first poll
I'm even starting to wonder if you've been mad at me for sometime and something else altogether (such as continuing a game of HANGMAN in your turn!!!) confused because other people *have* criticized, but not so strongly!!!
Writing and posting fic is basically putting your heart on paper -- and putting aside your vulnerability to allow others to judge it.
I agree (for the first time goofy ). So you do agree you post a story to allow others to judge it.

What if they don't think it's *good*?

Maybe, it's not happened to you, but many of us here have written stories with just one/two good FDKs, so you think we should stop writing? Because I'm sure my stories are never going to be popular as so-and-so's.
if people didn't react well to a favorite-genre poll
This poll has received 39 votes so far and not all have criticized!

EDITOR JAX, can you possibly list out your problems with this poll? Because I'm so dense that I still don't get it! You wanted me to add a column for Hot/Steamy stuff because your stories fall under that category and you're mad at me for accidentally leaving it off?

MY OPINION:
I still think this poll will benefit most budding authors and let them know what sort of stories will be welcome by most readers!

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ok, let's cool the jets here!!! Yes, I know I am not a Mod, but my goodness, people!

Honestly, I have posted a lot of stuff here without getting much fdk. It doesn't stop me from posting.

I have never been nominated sufficiently to actually get anything voted on in the Kerths (I think). It doesn't stop me from posting.

Believe me, I like FDK. I'd be weird not to. But I try to remember that for every 1 FDK I get, there are about 3-7 readers that don't post, so, if I even get 1 I know that more than than that have read it.

Personally, I am used to not being mentioned in any lists and I am ok with that. I am an unashamed fan of anything that Nan Smith writes, hands down, but that doesn't mean I don't read others.

I like CoolGirl's truce declaration.

Now, can we get back to the point of this poll and stop all this wallbash ing!

I have already voted, mind you.

It will be no secret to long timers that I picked Crossovers, Elseworlds and Married stories.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I have strayed away from this topic since voting but have to give my clap to James for what he just posted. This is supposed to be a fun place, where we folcs come to unwind, meet,regress revel in Clark, sorry, couldn't resist,etc, and just enjoy.

Anyway, I'll use this post to be cheesy yet truly geunine by saying in the limited time I've been aboard, I have enjoyed being apart of our board and getting to know some of you a little better.

smile

Mona

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One other thing I wanted to mention.

There is no poll that pleases everyone or, is perfect.

My most recent one here is a perfect example.

I had too many questions, I misspelled at least two different entries,
and peep I accidently put my name in instead of what I had wanted to type. peep

Mr_d8a aka The Fox blush

PS: I don't believe in Freud, so let's not go there!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Let's also please remember that just because a genre doesn't make a reader's top three list that doesn't mean that people won't read a work included in the list. For example, I don't say that just because a story isn't in my list of top three favorite genres, I won't read it. There are a few genres I don't read--probably everyone is that way--but I do read most of the stuff that is posted to these boards. Why not? It's all excellent stuff.

BTW, I'm of the opinion that even my favorite writers probably write pretty awful first drafts, they're just better at editing. It's the effort we go to in the learning and editing that make these boards top notch. I know that my work is the best of the best in some other forums, but not on these boards. I humbly admit that the bar is VERY HIGH around here. I like it that way, too. Who wants to read badfic all of the time?

Elisabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm pretty late commenting on this poll and don't really want to get into the genre issue. My faves are usually not angsty, although Yellow Fever by ML Thompson & Faustian Bargain by Sue definitely go against that belief. Those are two of my faves!! I LOVE episode rewrites! I love WAFFY! I also love any story that has Lois & Clark on the cusp of their relationship. Whether they're still just friends trying to resist the attraction or just beginning to date. I can't resist any fic that has that LnC relationship in it... unless it's a deathfic. Those are not my fave, though I'm sure many are probably well written. There's my 2 cents. Oh! *Peeks head back into post* I also sometimes like Erotic (coolgirl's definition), depending on my mood. *quickly scurries away*

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I saw the last few posts just now!

James : I like CoolGirl's truce declaration.
Thanks! smile
James : Honestly, I have posted a lot of stuff here without getting much fdk. It doesn't stop me from posting.
My point exactly! smile

Editor Jax : I also agree that it is hard for a writer to truly pull off an outstanding "erotic" story. I have seen two authors, and two alone, be able to do that: Sue and Sheila. So rock on, ladies, and know that your fics count.
I never implied they didn't!

James : I am an unashamed fan of anything that Nan Smith writes, hands down, but that doesn't mean I don't read others
stephnachia : My faves are usually not angsty, although Yellow Fever by ML Thompson & Faustian Bargain by Sue definitely go against that belief.
You people have named your favorite authors too, but how come nobody's mad at you?!?!?! wink *CG's being sarcastic*

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So I would say, any story which describes Lois and Clark's intimate relationship but doesn't evoke even a slightest bit of tender feelings in us as erotic ie. all passion and lust but no possibility of it ending in love in near future!
Mmm... Guess I should have read the thread before I voted because this isn’t the way I’d look at an erotic story at all. In my thinking, a romantic / waffy story has no sex - maybe a kiss and lots of feelings but no sex. But then I suppose being tired, I didn’t read your definition that closely either - my bad. I was thinking that you were including some of the things like role play - not that it was strictly limited to the things you mentioned. Oh, well. (Let me also say that I’m not mad at you or upset with you. I thought this was a great poll - otherwise, I wouldn’t have voted.)

Well, I voted for erotic stories. But I really meant that I like LnC nfic, not that I want Lois and Clark to have casual, "hard" or very kinky sex.
Yes, you said it well, Ann. I agree.

I didn't think that so many people are going to be mad at the my definition of "erotic
Oh, I don’t think anyone got mad... just disagreed. And I don’t think, for the most part, people are irritated or upset with you. I actually thought this was a very nice poll.

I just happened to drop in here and saw my name in the thread. To be honest, I thought most people had probably forgotten me/never heard of me in the first place.
Oh, my goodness, Wendy. You’ve got to be kidding! Can we bend down and kiss your feet and beg you to come back to LnC fandom?

I have not posted anything I have written yet, but statements like this make me not even want to bother.
Oh, please don’t feel as if you can’t post your stories. I didn’t post for years, but it wasn’t because of what people said about one genre or another. I was just ‘chicken’. And, yes, I was afraid of what people might say, but my stories have been warmly received, and I’ve made many new friends by posting. So, please, don’t feel intimidated! Post one of your stories.

But I shall give it a try anyway. I have never showed anyone anything I wrote, so it should be an adventure, right?
Oh, yes, it can definitely be an adventure.

Thanks, but it's still tough to come up with something that's not already been done before!
No matter how many times something has been done, there is always a different take on it.

Oh, my but this topic has taken quite a turn hasn’t it? I agree with James - no more head banging.

For example, I don't say that just because a story isn't in my list of top three favorite genres, I won't read it.
Oh, yes, I agree. Even though I have my favorite genres, I’ll read almost anything Lois and Clark. As I’ve said before on the fanfic board, the biggest turn off for me when reading is when there is a total lack of punctuation and grammar. I’ll give almost any LnC story a try.

smile

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Changing the subject completely, limiting this to three choices does tend to mean that things towards the bottom of the list will tend to get fewer votes; I really find it hard to believe that only I and one person like crossovers, for example. Maybe tick boxes, as with the recent character poll, would be a better way to do it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I actually love crossovers Marcus - they just aren't one of my top three favorites. Wasn't it you that wrote the Cassandra (Highlander) / Cat thing? I really like that idea.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
54 votes so far... smile

Most voted genre ~
1 Romance/ WaFFy 69% (37)
3 Humorous/ Playful/ Comedy 39% (21)
6 Revelation 33% (18)

Least voted genre ~
15 Lois/Clark dating other people 0% (0)
7 Elseworld (historical) 2% (1)
9 Paranormal (supernatural/ horror etc.) 2% (1)
11 Married, with small kids 4% (2)
14 Deathfics (of main characters) 4% (2)

CG
------------

Columnist
Columnist
That's kind of funny. The area that caused the most discussion was not in the top or bottom three.

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I'm sure it would have been had I given the definition as
Erotic : Hot, sensual, steamy sex with/without love, not necessarily mild

But let's not go into it again! laugh

CG
------------

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
TOP THREE (57 votes)

1 Romance/ WaFFy-----------------67% (38)
3 Humorous/ Playful/ Comedy------39% (22)
6 Revelation --------------------37% (21)

smile

CG
------------

C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Yooohoo! People are still voting! laugh
I'd thought this poll had died out!

CG