Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
I want a collective term. Give me one, so that I can use it for my next poll for least favorite fic!!!
And I say again: "Kinky/roleplay"

By now we all know exactly what it means. laugh

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Just be aware that when you post lists elsewhere, you are discouraging writers as much as encouraging others.
You're probably right!

You think I ought to stop posting polls because right now I'm feeling so discouraged by all there negative comments about

a. coming up with a list of (almost) all genre for fun
b. posting a poll
c. giving a controversial definition for erotic
d. accidentally omitting one or more genre types
e. getting (lemme count) three... no four accusing fingers pointed at me

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Surely I have as much right to express my feelings about this as others do to ignore those feelings?
Where did I suggest otherwise?

But you know very well that's not sufficient -- if I really and truly feel that writer X sucks, shouldn't I have the right to say that? Loudly and often? What if every time someone mentions writer X, I jump in and say they suck. Would you support my right to express those feelings?

We're not talking about rights, here. We're talking about community norms and politeness.

But the opposite extreme to the above is that if writer Y really does write good stories, and gets good feedback, and wins awards... but still complains and makes a fuss and threatens to leave every time there's not *enough* feedback, or from the right people, or their name is left off of any sort of favorites list? Usually in PM or email plaintively asking "why do you hate me?". You know, behind their monitors, people will start to roll their eyes and say, "yeesh, I'd better include something by writer Y just to avoid all the crap that'll happen if I leave them out."

That part gets really annoying after a while. One starts to wonder if the good stories are worth putting up with all the prima donna behavior.

I've run into that sort of behavior before. I guess something triggered the memories today and I vented. Sorry for veering from the thread topic, coolgirl!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
if writer Y really does write good stories, and gets good feedback, and wins awards... but still complains and makes a fuss and threatens to leave every time there's not *enough* feedback, or from the right people, or their name is left off of any sort of favorites list?
The same will probably happen if somebody asks, for example

"I'm new to the boards. Can you please suggest me some good stories?"

Don't people reply to such posts? :rolleyes: And do authors complain and whine that nobody's mentioned their names/stories?

How different is my listing out my favorite fics here from the above situation to the question?

Anyone else have a genre they can't live without?
confused

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
when you post lists elsewhere, you are discouraging writers as much as encouraging others.
I'm not at all certain that's true. Why can't the unmentioned writers either tell themselves 1) well, big deal, they just don't like the kind of stuff I like to write, or 2) gosh, maybe next time I will make the list! Or better yet, 3) drat, I didn't make the list, oh well, who cares? There are thousands of stories and hundreds of authors. Nobody is gonna show up on all those lists. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I just think it's a shame when people are scolded for talking about what they like, because they might have, somewhere, somehow, discouraged some aspiring insecure author. We all need to have thicker skins than that.

PJ
p.s., for those of you thinking, "oh yeah, it's easy for her to say people shouldn't feel discouraged, she's gotten lots of awards," -- trust me, there have been times when I was left of the list and felt discouraged. I just don't think it'd be right for me to whine about it, and I don't want anyone else whining on my behalf, either.

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah, but, Pam, you're imposing your own standards on others. But who can speak for certainty about how all others feel? And who has the right to tell others how they should feel?

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
you're imposing your own standards on others. But who can speak for certainty about how all others feel? And who has the right to tell others how they should feel?
Quite a few people *think* they do... wink

But... if *you* want to be free to express your feelings on the feelings of others (as you are), then you've got to let me express *my* feelings about your feelings on the feelings of others. goofy ) But we've had that argument for years, round about Kerth time, so never mind. smile And we had the same difficulty of defining an nfic category when we first started the Kerth Awards. Is it a rating, or a parallel set of genres? It didn't seem possible for us to do it justice, which is why we dropped that from the Kerths and let the NKerths take over. So anyway... I feel your pain wink

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
I want a collective term. Give me one, so that I can use it for my next poll for least favorite fic!!!
I am guessing you either don't mind or haven't learned from the backlash that come up with your first poll, because if people didn't react well to a favorite-genre poll because they felt it could leave people out or make writers feel bad if their preferred type of fic wasn't being listed, imagine how writers will feel when they find out their work -- a true labor of love to some people -- is the least favorite among readers. Talk about a slap in the face. I honestly think it will discourage people from writing.

I personally don't see the benefit of making people feel bad and/or insecure about something that it takes a lot of guts to do in the first place. Writing and posting fic is basically putting your heart on paper -- and putting aside your vulnerability to allow others to judge it.

It's just something to think about.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
they felt it could leave people out or make writers feel bad if their preferred type of fic wasn't being listed, imagine how writers will feel when they find out their work -- a true labor of love to some people -- is the least favorite among readers.
I think, if we go by your opinion, we ought to remove Kerth Awards, Feedbacks, not to mention Polls like this, perhaps every discussion in this forum, because somewhere somehow someone is going to be hurt (just as I'm hurt by the way you've been constantly criticizing *me* and *not just my poll* even after I've admitted that my poll has drawbacks!!!)

Maybe this forum should accept just stories (like so many forums I know) and let the FDKs be mailed to the author privately, if good authors like you react like this!
I am guessing you either don't mind or haven't learned from the backlash that come up with your first poll
I'm even starting to wonder if you've been mad at me for sometime and something else altogether (such as continuing a game of HANGMAN in your turn!!!) confused because other people *have* criticized, but not so strongly!!!
Writing and posting fic is basically putting your heart on paper -- and putting aside your vulnerability to allow others to judge it.
I agree (for the first time goofy ). So you do agree you post a story to allow others to judge it.

What if they don't think it's *good*?

Maybe, it's not happened to you, but many of us here have written stories with just one/two good FDKs, so you think we should stop writing? Because I'm sure my stories are never going to be popular as so-and-so's.
if people didn't react well to a favorite-genre poll
This poll has received 39 votes so far and not all have criticized!

EDITOR JAX, can you possibly list out your problems with this poll? Because I'm so dense that I still don't get it! You wanted me to add a column for Hot/Steamy stuff because your stories fall under that category and you're mad at me for accidentally leaving it off?

MY OPINION:
I still think this poll will benefit most budding authors and let them know what sort of stories will be welcome by most readers!

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ok, let's cool the jets here!!! Yes, I know I am not a Mod, but my goodness, people!

Honestly, I have posted a lot of stuff here without getting much fdk. It doesn't stop me from posting.

I have never been nominated sufficiently to actually get anything voted on in the Kerths (I think). It doesn't stop me from posting.

Believe me, I like FDK. I'd be weird not to. But I try to remember that for every 1 FDK I get, there are about 3-7 readers that don't post, so, if I even get 1 I know that more than than that have read it.

Personally, I am used to not being mentioned in any lists and I am ok with that. I am an unashamed fan of anything that Nan Smith writes, hands down, but that doesn't mean I don't read others.

I like CoolGirl's truce declaration.

Now, can we get back to the point of this poll and stop all this wallbash ing!

I have already voted, mind you.

It will be no secret to long timers that I picked Crossovers, Elseworlds and Married stories.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I have strayed away from this topic since voting but have to give my clap to James for what he just posted. This is supposed to be a fun place, where we folcs come to unwind, meet,regress revel in Clark, sorry, couldn't resist,etc, and just enjoy.

Anyway, I'll use this post to be cheesy yet truly geunine by saying in the limited time I've been aboard, I have enjoyed being apart of our board and getting to know some of you a little better.

smile

Mona

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One other thing I wanted to mention.

There is no poll that pleases everyone or, is perfect.

My most recent one here is a perfect example.

I had too many questions, I misspelled at least two different entries,
and peep I accidently put my name in instead of what I had wanted to type. peep

Mr_d8a aka The Fox blush

PS: I don't believe in Freud, so let's not go there!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Let's also please remember that just because a genre doesn't make a reader's top three list that doesn't mean that people won't read a work included in the list. For example, I don't say that just because a story isn't in my list of top three favorite genres, I won't read it. There are a few genres I don't read--probably everyone is that way--but I do read most of the stuff that is posted to these boards. Why not? It's all excellent stuff.

BTW, I'm of the opinion that even my favorite writers probably write pretty awful first drafts, they're just better at editing. It's the effort we go to in the learning and editing that make these boards top notch. I know that my work is the best of the best in some other forums, but not on these boards. I humbly admit that the bar is VERY HIGH around here. I like it that way, too. Who wants to read badfic all of the time?

Elisabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm pretty late commenting on this poll and don't really want to get into the genre issue. My faves are usually not angsty, although Yellow Fever by ML Thompson & Faustian Bargain by Sue definitely go against that belief. Those are two of my faves!! I LOVE episode rewrites! I love WAFFY! I also love any story that has Lois & Clark on the cusp of their relationship. Whether they're still just friends trying to resist the attraction or just beginning to date. I can't resist any fic that has that LnC relationship in it... unless it's a deathfic. Those are not my fave, though I'm sure many are probably well written. There's my 2 cents. Oh! *Peeks head back into post* I also sometimes like Erotic (coolgirl's definition), depending on my mood. *quickly scurries away*

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I saw the last few posts just now!

James : I like CoolGirl's truce declaration.
Thanks! smile
James : Honestly, I have posted a lot of stuff here without getting much fdk. It doesn't stop me from posting.
My point exactly! smile

Editor Jax : I also agree that it is hard for a writer to truly pull off an outstanding "erotic" story. I have seen two authors, and two alone, be able to do that: Sue and Sheila. So rock on, ladies, and know that your fics count.
I never implied they didn't!

James : I am an unashamed fan of anything that Nan Smith writes, hands down, but that doesn't mean I don't read others
stephnachia : My faves are usually not angsty, although Yellow Fever by ML Thompson & Faustian Bargain by Sue definitely go against that belief.
You people have named your favorite authors too, but how come nobody's mad at you?!?!?! wink *CG's being sarcastic*

CG
------------

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So I would say, any story which describes Lois and Clark's intimate relationship but doesn't evoke even a slightest bit of tender feelings in us as erotic ie. all passion and lust but no possibility of it ending in love in near future!
Mmm... Guess I should have read the thread before I voted because this isn’t the way I’d look at an erotic story at all. In my thinking, a romantic / waffy story has no sex - maybe a kiss and lots of feelings but no sex. But then I suppose being tired, I didn’t read your definition that closely either - my bad. I was thinking that you were including some of the things like role play - not that it was strictly limited to the things you mentioned. Oh, well. (Let me also say that I’m not mad at you or upset with you. I thought this was a great poll - otherwise, I wouldn’t have voted.)

Well, I voted for erotic stories. But I really meant that I like LnC nfic, not that I want Lois and Clark to have casual, "hard" or very kinky sex.
Yes, you said it well, Ann. I agree.

I didn't think that so many people are going to be mad at the my definition of "erotic
Oh, I don’t think anyone got mad... just disagreed. And I don’t think, for the most part, people are irritated or upset with you. I actually thought this was a very nice poll.

I just happened to drop in here and saw my name in the thread. To be honest, I thought most people had probably forgotten me/never heard of me in the first place.
Oh, my goodness, Wendy. You’ve got to be kidding! Can we bend down and kiss your feet and beg you to come back to LnC fandom?

I have not posted anything I have written yet, but statements like this make me not even want to bother.
Oh, please don’t feel as if you can’t post your stories. I didn’t post for years, but it wasn’t because of what people said about one genre or another. I was just ‘chicken’. And, yes, I was afraid of what people might say, but my stories have been warmly received, and I’ve made many new friends by posting. So, please, don’t feel intimidated! Post one of your stories.

But I shall give it a try anyway. I have never showed anyone anything I wrote, so it should be an adventure, right?
Oh, yes, it can definitely be an adventure.

Thanks, but it's still tough to come up with something that's not already been done before!
No matter how many times something has been done, there is always a different take on it.

Oh, my but this topic has taken quite a turn hasn’t it? I agree with James - no more head banging.

For example, I don't say that just because a story isn't in my list of top three favorite genres, I won't read it.
Oh, yes, I agree. Even though I have my favorite genres, I’ll read almost anything Lois and Clark. As I’ve said before on the fanfic board, the biggest turn off for me when reading is when there is a total lack of punctuation and grammar. I’ll give almost any LnC story a try.

smile

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Changing the subject completely, limiting this to three choices does tend to mean that things towards the bottom of the list will tend to get fewer votes; I really find it hard to believe that only I and one person like crossovers, for example. Maybe tick boxes, as with the recent character poll, would be a better way to do it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I actually love crossovers Marcus - they just aren't one of my top three favorites. Wasn't it you that wrote the Cassandra (Highlander) / Cat thing? I really like that idea.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
54 votes so far... smile

Most voted genre ~
1 Romance/ WaFFy 69% (37)
3 Humorous/ Playful/ Comedy 39% (21)
6 Revelation 33% (18)

Least voted genre ~
15 Lois/Clark dating other people 0% (0)
7 Elseworld (historical) 2% (1)
9 Paranormal (supernatural/ horror etc.) 2% (1)
11 Married, with small kids 4% (2)
14 Deathfics (of main characters) 4% (2)

CG
------------

Columnist
Columnist
That's kind of funny. The area that caused the most discussion was not in the top or bottom three.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard