Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#237318 04/02/07 11:36 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I recentally read Teri Hatcher's Burnt Toast and I loved it blush :p . Now I was just wondering if anybody else read it and what you thought of it.

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#237319 04/03/07 12:57 AM
Kerth
Kerth
How about a category for "I haven't read it, and don't particularly care either way"? huh

If I came across a copy lying around somewhere I would read it (because I'm a compulsive reader) but I've never particularly sought it out. I saw it at the bookstore when it came out and all I remember is that it was a cute picture of Teri on the cover.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#237320 04/03/07 01:11 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
you know I actually thought of that category but I thought the category 'other' was better :p
I do agree with you on the picture, very nice blush

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
#237321 04/03/07 01:35 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I chose 'nope and never will', because actors' biographies is a genre that's never really interested me (I don't read a lot of non-fiction, generally) and I'm not really that interested in them off-screen, either.

Oh, and just an advance, pre-emptive reminder that gossip about the actors' private lives is against the rules of this forum. Obviously, this thread is cool and within the rules just now, laugh but thought it was worth a reminder to save any posts having to be deleted later. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237322 04/03/07 02:03 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
LabRat you really had me scared there. I thought I had just opened an illegal poll :p
It's a good thing that it isn't though laugh

#237323 04/03/07 02:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm going with Sue's "I haven't read it, and don't particularly care either way"

Would read it if it fell onto my lap, but I won't go out of my way for it. Never mind that I love biographies, I'm not at all excited about this one...

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#237324 04/03/07 05:40 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat you really had me scared there. I thought I had just opened an illegal poll
LOL - no, you're cool. thumbsup Just better to give an advance warning in case the topic veered drastically off course at some point, than wait till it did and then have to pull posts.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237325 04/03/07 07:10 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by LaraMoon:
I'm going with Sue's "I haven't read it, and don't particularly care either way"
Same here - not interested enough to go looking for it, but might read it if I found a copy in a book store and couldn't find anything more interesting to read.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#237326 04/03/07 07:30 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I chose other. I've read it. I didn't love it or hate it, just thought it was ok.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#237327 04/03/07 09:00 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I chose the no but will selection, even though I DO have it. I've only read about half of it, and I needa find time to finish. It was pretty interesting from what I remember. But then, I bought it several months ago, and I hardly remember what I ate last week, so... :p

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#237328 04/03/07 09:28 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I chose other. I haven't read it, and I don't know (yet) if I ever will.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237329 04/03/07 01:08 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I chose "no I havn't read it yet, but I definitely will. I'm still trying to get my hand on a copy ;p !!"

I'm no eager to get my hands on a copy, but if a free one comes my way I'll give it a try.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#237330 04/03/07 01:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I checked other. I pretty much have my nose inside a book when I'm not working or studying, so I might read it sometime. Is it a straight-up autobiography or a memoir? I'm not a huge non-fiction person, but I find the memoir-labeled books are usually more creative...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#237331 04/03/07 03:21 PM
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Actually, I agree with LabRat. Nope, never will, no interest. Honestly, Dean and Teri seem to be very nice people, but I don't know them, will never have a chance to know them, and am completely OK with that state of affairs.

Now Clark and Lois are of interest to me, and I love reading about them and how each author has a different take on the development of their characters, their relationship, and the people surrounding them. That's why I joined this board. So even if this book were dropped into my lap, I wouldn't read it because I would have no interest.

But, anotherFOLC, I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
#237332 04/04/07 06:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You forgot "Burnt Toast? What the hell is Burnt Toast?" goofy

I'd never heard of it before dropping into this thread. Seems to be some sort of Teri biography or something... well, I'm with mmouse. I appreciate the actors who brought the characters to life, but my interest is strictly in the characters, not the actors.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#237333 04/04/07 07:15 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I appreciate the actors who brought the characters to life, but my interest is strictly in the characters, not the actors.
I agree with Pam on this.

My general rule is that I love a character, not an actor. For me, a great actor is one I don't recognise, even though I've seen him / her in countless roles before. They can't just be good looking or cute, they have to have real range and power. (Yeah. I know. I don't ask for much, do I?)

I guess, what I like is good, old-fashioned character actors, not stars. smile

I think knowing too much about an actor actually detracts from the roles he / she plays. For me, knowing what was going on behind the scenes makes it harder for me to suspend disbelief when I'm watching what's in front of me. (I don't usually bother watching all those extra bits that come on DVDs. I don't usually want to know how things are done, either!)

So, when big name so-called stars leave their UK soaps amid lashings of hype and publicity, and get signed up to do TV dramas... I'm almost guaranteed not to watch! (But that's a whole other issue.)

Chris

#237334 04/04/07 08:13 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Ditto several others...I am not interested in actors' personal lives. Besides, as it is, I have a year's worth of books waiting in my house in my "to read" pile. When I have the time, I read sci-fi books or historical romance.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#237335 04/05/07 04:45 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Heey, it's been nice reading what you all think of the book! You obviously do not all think of the book as I do, but that's probably a good thing wink It's true, it is a Teri Hatcher book and it has nothing to do with Lois Lane (Kent :p )the character we all know and love!! She does talk about the show in the book (it probably doesn't surprise anyone that those are my favorite parts :p )but yeah it's basically about her life and problems wink !!
And also you're right I could have put more options, I'm sorry for that, but there is always 'other,...'

#237336 04/05/07 11:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
also you're right I could have put more options, I'm sorry for that, but there is always 'other,...'
Don't feel too bad about it smile In my experience, no sooner do you post a poll than you think of *much* better options, but by then it's too late...

I'm glad you're enjoying the book, anyway smile Teri's done extremely well being on a huge hit like Desperate Housewives, and I'm happy for her that her career isn't tanked. But, well... I guess I already explained why that's the full extent of my interest smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#237337 04/05/07 03:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't read it, but I did speak to a couple of FoLCs about it shortly after it came out.

Personally, I'm not especially interested in reading it, but I just might end up doing so anyway. If I run across a copy in the local library or something.

FYI, for those who said they weren't interested in the actors' personal lives... It's my understanding that it's not an autobiography. It's more Teri's outlook. Her personal philosophies. Her thoughts on motherhood, abuse, how to be a strong independent woman, etc. It's based on personal experiences, but it's presented as life lessons, if that makes sense.

For example, the title of the book refers to her thoughts on motherhood. If Mom makes toast for the family and one of the slices ends up burnt, there's kind of an expectation/tradition/tendency for her to take the burnt slice, giving the good stuff to the rest of the family. Teri thinks Mom deserves better, that she should learn to put herself first sometimes, etc.

At least, that's my secondhand understanding of it all.

For those interested, the book has been discussed in a few threads over in OT:

Dean and Teri together (when he showed up at a book signing)

Wanda Detroit meets Teri Hatcher (when WandaD went to a book signing)

Burnt Toast (a discussion of the book itself)

Burnt Toast (further discussion of the book)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard