Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#237085 12/26/06 06:07 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The new fashion is to have a gourmet or stone spit-roater session with the family.
I LOVE having gourmet sessions with the family! We did this for Christmas a couple of times, but lately our Christmas dinners have been more buffet-type stuff just put together for a "meal."

I also like brussels sprouts, but no one else in my family likes them at all--so I don't get them at any time of year. We never had them for Christmas or anything.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#237086 12/26/06 10:04 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Darcy, you can cook, can't you? So cook them yourself!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#237087 12/26/06 12:37 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I love sprouts but instead of boiling them I steam them until they are just barely done. Delicious.

We didn't have any for Christmas dinner, however. I decided a long time ago that Christmas Day should be a holiday for me as well as everyone else. We went out to the Red Lobster on Christmas Eve and I had enough coconut shrimp and shrimp linguini Alfredo to satisfy even me, along with shrimp cocktail, clam chowder, cheese biscuits and all kinds of deliciously fattening foods that I avoid the rest of the year. Then for Christmas Day, we went out to our little local restaurant which is the only one in town open on Christmas and waited an hour and a half to get our dinner (they were crowded).

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#237088 12/26/06 04:28 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know it will probably have you cook-type persons screaming with the sacrilege, but I just put them in a bowl with a little bit of water, pop them in the microwave for a minute or so and wait for the ding. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237089 12/26/06 04:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah I definitely thought about bean sprouts. <g> But fascinating, brussel sprouts on Christmas. I've only had them once, and they're just ok. I'm originally from Texas, and our traditional family meal is tamales, salsa, beans, chips and queso, and benuelos for dessert. (And usually we throw a random ham on the table.) Ultimately, it's not Christmas for us til we throw the queso-Rotel dip on the table!

JD
laugh

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#237090 12/26/06 05:58 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by LabRat:
I know it will probably have you cook-type persons screaming with the sacrilege, but I just put them in a bowl with a little bit of water, pop them in the microwave for a minute or so and wait for the ding. laugh
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to steam 'em to me. Probably does an even better job of hanging on to the lovely vitamins than stovetop steaming (which is actually quite a bit healthier than boiling them). I cook lots of vegetables that way.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#237091 12/26/06 10:30 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Probably does an even better job of hanging on to the lovely vitamins than stovetop steaming (which is actually quite a bit healthier than boiling them).
Yeah, I tend to prefer to believe so. I think boiling them just leeches all the goodness out of them. At least...the way I boil things probably does. goofy With the microwave, I can regulate how well cooked they are much more precisely.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#237092 12/27/06 05:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Boiling vegetables... no way. smile I have a steamer inset for my saucepan and cook them that way - also much easier to test how well they're done. Al dente rather than cooked to mush! And then the vegetable water is great flavouring for gravy. Yum! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#237093 12/27/06 07:42 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Eww... That is all I can say.

~Jojo, who only has broccoli and cheese grace her table.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#237094 12/27/06 06:12 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Darcy, you can cook, can't you? So cook them yourself!
Yeah, Mellie, I can cook--when I have a recipe in front of me (or someone else telling me what to do) and I understand all the technical cooking terms used in the instructions.

But the thing is, I've never cooked brussels sprouts myself before--ever. And when I do veggies, it's usually just boiling and after draining, I add a pat of butter to the pot and stir. Steaming makes the veggies too crunchy for my taste--I like my green beans (and brussels sprouts) slightly soft.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#237095 12/29/06 06:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
They're gagalicious!!! eek

#237096 12/29/06 08:37 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Yeah, Mellie, I can cook--when I have a recipe in front of me (or someone else telling me what to do) and I understand all the technical cooking terms used in the instructions.
Well, Darcy, I know your problem. Though I do manage to get the terms right as long as I read it in German... Still, I can only warn you: Don't believe everything you read in cookbooks. I had one instructing the poor user (meaning me) to add freshly hacked chili to heated oil...

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard