Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
And what about the mitochondria? That's a part of cells that's closely related to bacteria. They share almost the same genes. But acording to the theory some of them immigrated long ago into cells of other beings and helped them to survive.
Don't forget about plants' plastides (like chloroplasts). They're supposed to be descended from some sort of cyanobacterium.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
And I don't think that evolution is contradictory to the excistence of an allmighty presence, however you want to call it.
I agree. I don't know why people keep thinking about both being mutually exclusive. *shrug*

Paul has made some really great points. Kudos to him. I really enjoyed reading his post and agree with a lot, if not all, of what he said.

It boils down to me to the simple fact that science tells us "how," but that "why" is still left open (and will always be). If you ask "why" enough, chances are things will stop being science and start being some sort of belief system. Which is fine, but I think the distinction should be made.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Merriwether
Merriwether
The good thing about being away from the board for long enough to miss most of the debate is it means I can just swoop in, agree with some of the well-written posts, and not have to come up with one of my own. wink

I agree with almost everything Paul said. While I do think that God's existence can be proven, I don't think that proof is at all scientific in nature. Insufficiently objective and repeatable. And I absolutely believe that however the universe and our planet came about, it was guided by God's hand. The available scientific evidence most strongly supports evolution as the means, but is absolutely silent on the question of whether an intelligence (God or super-intelligent aliens or anything else) was the cause.

Clasicalla, if you don't think that the supporters of ID are claiming that it is a scientific theory which should be taught in public schools, then I think it may be you that needs to read more about it.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
I chose Else, because each option didn't quite fit what I think. It's a bit of everything.

I believe that we're all just God's Great Science Experiment. He started the chain reaction, and is watching to see where it goes. Therefore, a bit of ID *and* evolution.

However, I also believe not path is correct. And it will never be. No matter how many proofs and theorums people throw out, something new will be found down the road. Just like I don't believe any one religion has it right. Sure, everyone's on the right track (well, except for those who start wars in the name of their god, but those are the delusional laugh ), but no one has it completely right.

But that's just my own personal beliefs. And I know I don't have it right. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Who can say that God isn't a scientist?
Well said, Sue. God is a scientist.

And I absolutely believe that however the universe and our planet came about, it was guided by God's hand.
Also well said, Rivka.

Clasicalla, if you don't think that the supporters of ID are claiming that it is a scientific theory which should be taught in public schools, then I think it may be you that needs to read more about it.
Could be. As I said, it was my understanding of it.

And just in case anyone misunderstood what I was saying, let me say this plainly as my bottom line:

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2: 10 - 11

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard