Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Just out of curiousity, I thought I'd poll to see which holiday episode was the most popular. If you have a particular reason as to why you chose a specific one, be sure to post.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I choose HIWTHI just because I like the more serious tone. I do like the other two as well, but this one rates as one of my fav eps, period.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hard to choose between SG and HIWTHI, but decided on SG because of the poignancy of the ending - it was one of the first signs that it was Clark that Lois loved. (well aside from her "Lois Lane Kent" confession in HoL which the writers evilly insisted on ignoring for the first half of S2.) That final scene at the window!

I agree with Lisa, though that the A plot of HISWTHI is better (although much silliness in both eps)

Close contest:) The brief telepathic moment between L & C in HIWTHI was wonderful (not to say Wow!)

But one of the things I felt let down about (for no good reason) was that Lois and her dad didn't sing a Xmas carol at the end - the episode was partly about her reconnecting with her father, and I thought their singing together would have said so much. Not to mention that Teri Hatcher has a very good voice, and Harve Presnell a remarkable one.

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Season's Greedings for me. Cause it's fun and the end is all awww! smile I do like the others as well, but that one's my fav. Actually, it ranks pretty high on my list of favorites even including all the other eps.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Season's Greedings for me. I just loved the ending. And according to his commentary, Dean wanted an added scene where he actually did show up at his parents home with family and friends all around. Wouldn't that have been great?

I don't think I realized that HIWTHI was a Christmas ep until it was mentioned here. (Odd, too, because I liked it a lot. I'll have to watch it again.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
I want a Space Rat! I love Mindy Church, but couldn't possibly vote for HIWTHI because of Baby Gunderson. I prefer to believe that she never existed - no writer could possibly have cashed a paycheck in good conscience knowing that such a character came from his or her pen.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, yeah Baby Gunderson is right up there with Denny Crane's inflatable Shirley.

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Somehow, I like TTNBM, because it shows Clark's determination, and how the connection between them is stronger than magic.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Kerth
Kerth
I must be the grinchiest person here - I'm the only one who voted that I didn't like any of the episodes. I like bits and pieces of them, don't get me wrong. But there's not a single episode among them which I would deliberately watch from start to finish.

I like the end of SG and the tender sickbed scene(s) in HIWTHI. I tried to watch TTNBM but it just didn't hold my interest at all.

If death was not an option, I guess I'd pick HIWTHI. Unless Dean would somehow find out and then I'd pick SG so I wouldn't hurt his feelings. mecry

Bah. Humbug.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, Sue, I didn't particularly care for any of the three episodes myself--but I chose Season's Greedings, simply because it was in season two, and I liked that better than three or four.

I didn't want to choose "I didn't like any of them," because I DID like them, but none of the Christmas eps are among my all-time favorite LnC episodes. I totally get what you mean about liking parts of the episodes too.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
HIWTHI is my fave but I also LOVE the ending of SG. I didn't really enjoy TTNBM.

But there's not a single episode among them which I would deliberately watch from start to finish.
There's actually isn't any episode in the entire series I watch from start to finish. I also just go through to my fave parts.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't voted, simply because I can't decide. Now, if you had asked which episode I liked least, that would have been easy. I can't stand Mxyl... Whatever. I hated the character in the comics, when I used to read them. And my hatred carried over into the TV series. (There are limits to the extent to which my disbelief will extend, and Mxyl... Thingy goes well past them, out of the solar system, and into the next galaxy. wink )

Now, that's just my personal opinion, and I have a hard time explaining it. Also, I know that the episode and character both have fans. Please take my opinion with the huge pinch of salt it so rightly deserves. Rational or no, though, TTNBM is definitely my least favourite of the three episodes.

I'm torn between the other two episodes, though. I love the angst in Home Is Where The Hurt Is, and I would have liked to have seen that expanded on. (Clark recovered from the kryptonite mighty quickly, don't you think?)

Baby Gunderson... Mercifully I had blocked her out of my mind -- until I read some of the posts here and remembered her. Yes, that was silly. So were Abs In A Bottle. (That was that episode, wasn't it?)

Oh, how lovely the ending is of Seasons Greedings! But... there are silly moments in that episode, too. Yes, the episode has a good message, but... Lois acting as a little kid and pouting, and Clark scoffing all the sweeties... Neither did much for me.

So, for me, SG and HIWTHI tie for favourite.

Carol said:
But one of the things I felt let down about (for no good reason) was that Lois and her dad didn't sing a Xmas carol at the end - the episode was partly about her reconnecting with her father, and I thought their singing together would have said so much. Not to mention that Teri Hatcher has a very good voice, and Harve Presnell a remarkable one.
Now, I read this and I thought... what? Yes, Carol is right, the whole reconnecting thing was a very important part of that episode. But, Lois and her dad singing a carol together at the end of the episode...?

Maybe this is a cultural thing, but the very idea of it makes me think of the lump of Cheddar that is hardening at the back of my fridge: cheesy, in the worst possible way! wink

Certainly, I never burst into spontaneous song with my dad at Christmas. (Since I can barely sing and he couldn't sing at all, that is surely a blessing for the whole world.)

Do people burst into impromptu song in North America? For the most restrained English person, I think that's only likely to happen after a lot of alcohol. And I would certainly have never drunk the amount of alcohol required in the presence of my parents!

Just curious.

Chris

Top Banana
Top Banana
Home Is Where The Hurt Is because it's the least sickly sweet and it has a virus and kryptonite. laugh

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do people burst into impromptu song in North America? For the most restrained English person, I think that's only likely to happen after a lot of alcohol. And I would certainly have never drunk the amount of alcohol required in the presence of my parents!
Yeah that's really a 'friends activity.' <ahem> Not that I ever did such shenanigans in college or... :p

Home Is Where The Hurt Is because it's the least sickly sweet and it has a virus and kryptonite. [Big Grin]
Yep! I get a deadly activity, some unstable family visits, and some cuteness on the fire escape at the very end. smile

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I honestly can't decide between them. They all have their good (and bad) moments.

I have to agree with Chris on the cheesiness of singing carols. I had the same kneejerk reaction when I read Carol's post. All I could think of was that if it had happened, I'd have been cringing on the sofa and would have had to turn the sound off.

So maybe it is a cultural thing at that. laugh Or, maybe it's just one of my own personal bugbears. I tend to squirm anyway at scenes where people are performing. I simply cannot bear to watch scenes in a show where the kids are acting in a school play for instance.

This kind of thing was always such a traumatic experience for me as a kid because I was so shy and went into cold sweats if asked to perform in front of an audience, that I think it's scarred me for life and I can't bear to watch others make fools of themselves - even if they are only acting. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to agree with Chris on the cheesiness of singing carols. I had the same kneejerk reaction when I read Carol's post. All I could think of was that if it had happened, I'd have been cringing on the sofa and would have had to turn the sound off.
I don't think Christmas caroling in and of itself is cheesy--but some situations in which people might burst with carols coming out of their mouths really ARE.

For instance, I have no problem walking around a nursing home (or a friend's neighborhood) with a group of people--be they friends or people from church, or just a group of family members--singing Christmas carols. I also have no problem singing them with family on a quiet Christmas Even night.

But having Lois and Sam burst into song at the end of HIWTHI, just as a plot device? Definitely cheesy.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Features Writer
Features Writer
Home Is Where The Hurt Is because it's the least sickly sweet and it has a virus and kryptonite.
Agreed. And it's so quotable.

"I love your parents! They're just so... not insane."

Etc. etc.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Top Banana
Top Banana
I blame it all on my UK grandfather and mother - they played piano, and, well what can I say - the sheet music for those carols is still in the piano bench laugh

crawling back into my hole, but grabbing the cheese as I go

But cranking up the angst level in HIWTHI - now that would be cringe-inducing, processed cheese- cheesy laugh

As a way of establishing my bah-humbug cred, can I add that I avoid shopping malls at this time of the year because of the blasting carols, don't watch Xmas specials on TV, and avoid Xmas fanfic?

And that the Grinch is my hero? And Die Hard 2 is my favourite Xmas movie?

And that I own a 'free Rudolph' t-shirt?

c.

Kerth
Kerth
I'm not a huge fan of Xmas episodes of any show, but I quite like Season's Greedings for its sheer silliness.

Incidentally, the all-time clunker of Xmas episodes is now on line... Yes, the Star Wars Holiday Special has made it to Youtube:

It really is as bad as everyone said...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Capes Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I can't stand Mxyl... Whatever. I hated the character in the comics,
I had no idea Mxyl was from the comics. I thought he was based on "Rumplestiltskin". Shows how much I know. Yet another instance of how I learn things about this series to this day despite its having been off the air for quite a while.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard