Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Just wondering...if you are faced with a fanfic you know will take you 3 or more hours to read, how do you usually read it?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I usually THINK I'm going to be able to read a long fic from beginning to end (unless is 500KB+), but I just end up reading as much as possible during my breaks/free time, and I've frequently stayed up later than 2am to finish a really GOOD, long fic or three. One time, I didn't even get to sleep until 7:30 in the morning!

So, in a round about way, I was telling you that I chose option two.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I started out reading long fics in one session. After a while this is a very tiring practice. Besides, I've grown rather addicted to reading fanfic, so I use all sorts of breaks to read. Which means that I usually have to read longer fics in several sessions. Somehow, I still manage to be late all the time....

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have spent entire nights reading one story -- I've done it often, too.

I will spend 5 hours in a row reading *one* story, nooooooooo problem. I won't put it down until I know how it ends. But then, I only read those on Friday nights or during week-ends, when it doesn't matter how long I spend reading anyway.

When I put stories on my PocketPC, they're always short enough that I know I can read them from start to end during the commute (I spend 40 some minutes on the bus in the morning and sometimes more at night cause of traffic). I used to put longer ones there, but found that once I got in the office, I just *had* to finish reading them and... well, I didn't get any work done... wink

I just can't put stories down, I *need* to know how they end. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I will spend 5 hours in a row reading *one* story, nooooooooo problem. I won't put it down until I know how it ends.
Precisement. Although I will do it on weeknights, which lately has led to some odd sleeping patterns.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Although I will do it on weeknights, which lately has led to some odd sleeping patterns.
On weeknights, I can often be found typing away on one of my own stories up until 2 AM. I have to get up at 6 if I want to make it to the office.... I don't know *how* I'm even able to get through the day. wink In November, I often stayed up until 2 a few days in a row - I'm still trying to catch up on lost sleep. LOL

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sleeping patterns. Sore subject right now. laugh

I've somehow managed to reverse mine. I do this now and then. Curiously enough, I realised the other day, I somehow seem to end up sitting up half the night unable to sleep in the run up to Christmas, in particular. I seem to have a lot of hazy memories of sitting up in the small hours at this time of year, watching mediocre movies on cable, bleary-eyed. Go figure.

Anyway, here I am, once more, checking the boards at 3.46 am, having given up on sleep for the night. Bleah. Still did better tonight than normally. Thanks to all the dashing around getting ready for my family get together this evening, I did manage four hours sleep between 11pm and 3am. I'm progressing!

It'll sort itself back out eventually. Usually does. But it's frustrating, meantime.

At least I can make up the time during the day though! I can't imagine having to get up for a full day's work on this much sleep. Lara, you must be super-powered. <g>

Back on topic. <g> It depends on the story. If it's a really hot one, there's absolutely no chance I'm going to have any choice in how I read it. It's run at it straight through till the end, no matter how much into the small hours it takes me. It's the same with novels, although these days I do try to ration novels and put them aside to make them last longer.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Anyway, here I am, once more, checking the boards at 3.46 am, having given up on sleep for the night.
I actually noticed this a few days ago, Labby, that you were posting at pretty odd hours. I am sorry you are having sleeping problems. I hope sweet dreams come to you soon.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wasn't sure how to vote, because most fics only take me a 20 minute break to read. So I don't find it all that difficult to find a block of time where I can read a whole fic at once. The longest fic I can remember reading online is Labrat's "Masques". I think it took 2-3 hours one Friday night, curled up in my chair with my laptop.

When I like a story, I don't like to stop. That's also the reason why I've read practically everything on the archive--up until recently when I stopped reading fanfic almost completely. But I'll stop if I have to!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, Capes! Only 2-3 hours for Masques? That one took ME most of the night, and I read 200-300wpm! You must be one of those 1000-word readers. *is a bit jealous*

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Kerth
Kerth
Two to three hours? You read about five times as fast as I do. And I thought I was fast.
*feeling very jealous right now*

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sleeping patterns. Sore subject right now. [Big Grin]

I've somehow managed to reverse mine. I do this now and then.
I do this often. It comes from years of having to work midnight shifts.

If it's a really hot story, I'll read it all in one sitting (if it's not extremely long).

I wasn't sure how to vote, because most fics only take me a 20 minute break to read. So I don't find it all that difficult to find a block of time where I can read a whole fic at once. The longest fic I can remember reading online is Labrat's "Masques". I think it took 2-3 hours one Friday night, curled up in my chair with my laptop.
Oh, wow! I wish I could read that fast.

Wow, Capes! Only 2-3 hours for Masques? That one took ME most of the night, and I read 200-300wpm! You must be one of those 1000-word readers. *is a bit jealous*
How do you guys read so fast? I want to know the secret. Did you take classes? See I have this little problem called perfectionism, and I'm afraid I'll miss an itty, bitty word. (I'm not as bad as I used to be.) And I like reading online because if I see something and want to know what the author said earlier about the same thing, I can just do a global search - and there it is. That's a whole lot better than trying to find it when you are reading a book.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
woody Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I ahve almost the same problem, Nancy. I can read pretty fast even when I read every word. But I struggle to skim somewhat. I sometimes skip descriptive paragraphs to speed up but if I read a sentence, I have to read every word. My sister probably reads about as fast as Capes.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I want to know the secret. Did you take classes?
You know, I'm not really sure how it happened. It's not a method I tried to perfect and sometimes it's actually detrimental. I think it has something to do with the fact that we never had television when I was a kid, and I spent hours upon hours reading books. My only sibling reads just as quickly as I do so whether it's environmental or genetic I have no idea. I did see a study somewhere that said part of the reason some people read faster than others is that they have trained their eyes--unconsciously in a lot of cases--to only read the tops of the words, thus cutting their assimilation time and increasing the speed at which the eyes can scan a page. I have no idea if this is a valid study or not, though.

Actually, I've had to learn to SLOW DOWN in my reading. For one thing, it's annoying to have to pack 5 books for one weekend just so I don't run out of reading materials. Also, I've stopped reading fanfic and "light" reading completely during the semester because I found it was hurting my classwork. I get used to reading really quickly in English, then get tired of not being able to read as quickly in other languages.

My guess is that reading skills are something acquired with a lot of practice, like typing speed. I know classes help some people. I'd be interested to know someone who took a class to see if they felt it enhanced their reading skills or not.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Features Writer
Features Writer
I did see a study somewhere that said part of the reason some people read faster than others is that they have trained their eyes--unconsciously in a lot of cases--to only read the tops of the words, thus cutting their assimilation time and increasing the speed at which the eyes can scan a page. I have no idea if this is a valid study or not, though.
This makes sense to me--I'm also a fast reader (I finished Gone With the Wind in two days when I was eleven and I probably could have finished it in one if it weren't because I acted up and my parents held it hostage from me for a while smile ). In English and my native tongue I rarely "read" per se, the process is more like looking at the words. I've seen them so much that my brain makes associations readily. It sounds weird to actually write that out, but that's what it feels like.

This is refering to fiction though, I have to force myself to slow down when I deal with other types of writing (*cough* and not reading for enjoyment) because the associations may vary (for instance if I plowed through an academic text, it'd be as if I never read it at all, there's more than words/meanings-associations on a page there). Also I struggle with another language for a living and find it impossible to do this "looking" process at all. Because of that I'm a ridiculously slow reader in it. it frustrates the crap out of me.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Top Banana
Top Banana
How do you guys read so fast? I want to know the secret.
I started reading Star Trek novels when I was ten, and I love learning new words--the longer the better. I can usually read a 200-300 page novel in less than eight hours, if I don't go anywhere or do anything except eat and go to the toilet. In fact, I read the latest Harry Potter book in about 13 hours. My sister woke me up at midnight, I had the book home by 1am, and finished it by 2pm. Heh. My original plan was to SLEEP and THEN read the book, but it went the other way around.

I got a speed-reading course for my computer from a company called Infinite Mind a few months back, and it didn't really improve my reading speed much, but it did tell me how fast I already read.

I once heard that the secret to reading fast is to keep your eyes moving--it may sound simple, but you'd be surprised how many people move their heads instead of their eyes, or who don't move at all when they're trying to read.

That, and when I read, I'm able either to picture the scenes (in fiction) or to "hear" the words in my head like they would be spoken out loud. A lot of people, when they read aloud, don't sound like they're really speaking about anything--they're just trying to get to the end of the paragraph/page/book. They don't get any meaning from it, because they don't take the time to assimilate it. I guess I've just been reading for so long, and in such large quantities, that I've trained my eyes and my brain to assimilate the meanings from words faster.

I never read textbooks though. I tried a couple times, but ultimately, I got more out of the course just by taking notes during lectures--my psych 101 textbook kind of made my eyes cross after a while, not to mention I didn't have time to read it.

I've also been typing since I was eight, when everybody in my new elementary school (we had just moved to a different county) was required to learn keyboarding. After that, I kept my journal on my dad's computer, so I had lots of practice, despite my sporatic journaling.

People say "write the way you speak." I'd like to change that to: "Read the way you speak, and write the way you would speak if you were the most eloquent person you know."

Mostly, that's because I tend to express myself much better in writing than out loud.

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It always takes me weeeeeks to finish a book. But I don't really mind because the slower I read books/fanfiction, the longer I enjoy! laugh Well, schoolbooks were hardly enjoyable, but the upside was that because I read so slowly I remembered almost everything in the book. So, after reading it once or maybe summarizing it while reading, I would remember it all and pass my tests.

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know, Capes and Darcy. I've read a lot, too, and I read a huge amount of stuff growing up. It never seems to help me read any faster. (At one point, I'd read every ST novel available - no longer true. I've mostly lost interest.) Now the more I type, the faster I type, but reading... I don't think so. I've actually tried to read faster, and I can read a few paragraphs that way, but it seems to set off headaches.

And you don't even want to know how slow I read in Spanish.

I don't know. Maybe I read faster than I think, but it feels painfully slow to me when I hear about people reading five novels in a weekend or reading everything in the archive in four months. I've been reading (not looking at them) books since I was three. And my *comprehension* is high. I just can't read fast. My best friend is the same way, and she has a master's degree in English Literature of all things. (She reads much slower than I do.)

I once heard that the secret to reading fast is to keep your eyes moving--it may sound simple, but you'd be surprised how many people move their heads instead of their eyes, or who don't move at all when they're trying to read.
I suppose that might be part of my problem. I don't move my head, but when I move my eyes back and forth rapidly, I'm sure to get a headache - every time. Funny thing, though. I can actually read faster with a hand held computer than I can a book. I wonder if that has to do with the smaller screen and thus less eye moving.

Well, Darcy, I've been one to scan most of my textbooks, so I know how you feel. Notes always did me more good, too. But it's no fun when the class consisted of much of the textbook and you had to read it - especially medical textbooks (and talk about boring).

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
For one thing, it's annoying to have to pack 5 books for one weekend just so I don't run out of reading materials.
I can so identify with this!

I have always read extremely fast. I have always thought of it as a "practice makes perfect" kind of thing. I fell in love with reading around seven or eight and never fell out. Novels, my history textbooks, the back of cereal boxes, whatever, I read (both past and present tense) constantly. When you do a thing that much, it seems to follow that you would be able to do it more quickly than people who don't do said thing that much. But based on Nancy's experiences, that may not be true after all.

Here's a interesting tidbit: When I was a child, my mother punished me on more than one occasion for some infraction by packing up all my books. Other kids had TV taken away. I had my books taken away.

But back to the speed thing - as I have gotten older, I have found that I have a bad habit of skimming, sometimes skipping entire sections. Often I am not even aware that I have done it. It's like I've developed adult onset ADHD (not outside the realm of possibility, I am told) and just can't concentrate as well. So I am trying to slow myself down to make sure I catch everything. Last night, it took me about three and half hours, I think (I wasn't paying very close attention to the clock), to read Wendy's Without Consent.

I also read GWTW and the latest HP in about the same time as Alcyone and Darcy mentioned. And in both cases I read them straight through.

Merriwether
Merriwether
At one point, I'd read every ST novel available - no longer true. I've mostly lost interest.
Ditto. I still have about 100 or so, and I reread many. Mostly published 10 years or more ago -- most of the newer ones just don't excite me (and the ones that do, I have).

And while I read about as fast as DSD (I think it was just about 13 hours on the latest HP for me as well, maybe an hour or so more or less), I don't think I'd want to read any faster. I know I miss some details (and go back and re-read 'em) at my speed.

Well, except for textbooks and the like. I read (or really, skim) those considerably faster. Then again, those are not exactly known for nuance and poetic language. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard