Page 2 of 2 1 2
#236910 11/29/06 11:11 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read on my PC but print out my faves.

#236911 11/29/06 04:36 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
These days I read on the computer or my Palm. I only print out stories very rarely -- mostly because I don't tend to read longer fics anymore, except sometimes part by part as they're posted.

Back when I was gobbling down longer ones by the handful, I did print them out. Every Friday, so I could read them over Shabbos (Saturday, my Sabbath). No computers or PDAs then for me.

The accumulation finally got tossed in my most recent move (although it moved the time before that).

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#236912 11/29/06 07:50 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read everything online. I read way to fast for printing to be reasonable.

However, I have been known to print one if I am really into it and have to go somewhere or I am at work and need to hide the fact that I am reading it. laugh

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#236913 11/29/06 10:23 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I pretty much always read in front of the PC.
I'm usually reading something angsty, sitting here with my box of tissues, not daring to take the stories out where someone could see me crying like a baby over them! goofy

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#236914 12/02/06 09:44 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Awww, Jessi, how sweet smile

When I started with fanfiction, I printed out everything. I was pretty lucky that the first stories I read were invariably great. Cause printing out 150 pages and finding out after 5 pages that this isn't my cup of tea, would've been pretty naff.

Anyway, when I learnt, I could also use my PDA for these things, I switched to it - some days ago I had to buy a new SD card laugh

I don't really like reading fanfiction on my PC cause I need a calm and comfortable area to indulge in the stories completely.

So, the only time when I do so, is when I'm at work and need some distraction devil

Bye,
Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#236915 12/03/06 03:34 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
I didn't discover fanfic until after the pay-by-the-minute days were already gone, which is perhaps why I've never printed out a fic in my life. I've never even printed out one of my own. I read, write, and edit exclusively on the computer.

I didn't know it was possible to read on my Palm, however, so if I actually figure it out, my vote may change smile

Caroline

#236916 12/03/06 03:41 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Reading on the Palm is pretty easy, Caroline, if you've got a reader program. I use Documents to Go, which can read any Microsoft Word or Excel-compatible file. Once you've got the Palm software, and the reader software installed on your computer, you just open the reader software, tell it where your files are saved on your hard drive, close the file, and sync the Palm. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#236917 12/03/06 03:45 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Documents-to-Go is a good program for things I want to edit. But I prefer PalmReader for fic and other long documents.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#236918 12/03/06 03:56 PM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Oh, thank you both! I'll look into these smile

Caroline

#236919 12/04/06 12:40 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think I may have printed it once or twice, but I usually read it on my pc.. smile

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#236920 12/04/06 04:35 AM
Columnist
Columnist
First I download from this site and cut and paste everything into Word. Read and save to my FanFic Drive (Partition) on my hard drive. Of course I've orginized it further by having a folder for LnC PG and LnC Nfic. Then in those I have folders A-Z but eventually added numbered folders (001-050 etc) for multi-part series. On those I'm up to 181, that is numbering 181a, 181b etc for series.

When they hit the archive I replace my word files with the text file because they are so much smaller. Then once a week or every other week I burn a back-up CD for the drive. Then if I'm going away I burn a CD right before I leave so I'll have an updated CD for using in my old laptop.

I use my desktop PC or laptop because in my LnC folder I have over 3000 stories with 25 waiting for you guys to finish writing them. In the Nfic folder I have over 520 stories with 7 waiting to be finished. If I printed out all those on paper to read (which I've read all of them) I would have spent a lot of money for paper and toner. Plus I would have to have a room dedicated for storage.

So show how anal I really am I also have both a PG and Nfic spreadsheets in Excel where I put a brief discription of my favorite stories and the number of each series story.

So I guess you could say I'm crazy. huh

#236921 12/04/06 06:06 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whoow kmar, you sure have things organised on your pc eek

I wish I was as organised as you are (my house is a mess, my pc is a mess, everything is a huge mess if I have been there laugh )

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard