Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#236616 09/02/06 01:36 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, Classicalla - the fact that he is speaking an *English* word accounts for the vowel not sounding as Spanish, I think wink Especially when he says 'That scene was so WAFFy' - I can spot a bit of 'e' sound creeping in. However, I think it's close enough to allow me to use the term "Spanish 'a'" to separate it from the other one, which has evidently hints of 'o' in it.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. (who can pronounce Spanish impeccably, but speaks English with a combination of all accents known to man).

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#236617 09/02/06 05:36 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1 Definitely option 2!

Tricia cool

#236618 09/02/06 06:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Paul! That was YOUR voice? Nice...

I agree, you should be in radio. wink

After listening to you say the two, I DEFINITELY think #2. laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#236619 09/02/06 06:27 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
# 2 for me; it never occured to me to say it any other way. Although I don't usually say it out loud, more just in my head, but that's how it sounds in my head. (I am babbling, aren't I?)

In my head, Lana sounds like LANE-A, as opposed to LAN-A or LA-NA. In "Tempus, Anyone?" I think it was pronounced LAN-A, but as was previously stated, in Smallville it is LA-NA. No telling how the person who originally created the character thought of it.

Oh, and to weigh in on the voice, I'll just come right out and say it: sexy, Paul!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#236620 09/02/06 10:09 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
# 2 for me; it never occured to me to say it any other way. Although I don't usually say it out loud, more just in my head, but that's how it sounds in my head.
Yup.

I've never pronounced Lana any way but to rhyme with tan. Mostly because that's the way Lana Turner always pronounced it, and that was good enough for me. laugh And, btw, I know Lana Turner from re-runs of her movies, okay? Just making that clear. wink

I've never heard anyone pronounce it another way, but then I don't watch Smallville. Is this just another attempt to be pretentious in the modern age? Make a traditional name seem exotic? Which seems to have been a fad in the last decade or so. Or are there other examples of Lawna around, besides Smallville?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#236621 09/02/06 10:09 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I couldn't imagine there was more than one way to say "waff", and to me that is the first alternative. I'll keep pronouncing it so that it rhymes with "daffy" and "taffy".

But now at least I'll know what the rest of you are talking about if I hear you say that option #2 thing! wink

Ann

#236622 09/02/06 10:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anna, I haven't actually heard the files. What I meant by a Spanish 'a' is that it is only supposed to be pronounced one way (at least that's the way I was taught). I was going strictly on the way they were described which obviously different people are saying the same word differently. From the way, he has it described I would get absolutely no Spanish 'e' from either of them. All accents, huh? How about a nice Scarlett O'hara?

And Mrs. Mosley, I have never heard Lana pronounced like Lois Lane's last name. I'll have to ask my best friend who I'm sure has heard every pronunciation know to man. Interesting, eh?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#236623 09/02/06 11:11 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yes, that is actually my voice. It never really seemed like anything special, but I'm glad you guys appreciate it. blush

(I do miss my childhood voice. Especially the ability to sing in the soprano range. Now I start straining if I try to go above tenor. Nothing you can do about that, though.)

Classica, about Vicki's post:

My understanding is that she had never considered anything other than Option One before, but that, hearing them aloud, she was beginning to think she liked Option Two better, after all. So, she did pronounce it like "laugh" and "taffy," but now she thinks she might change that. Make sense?

As for my accent, it's a fairly generic american one. According to a linguist friend, I'm reasonably close to what's considered "US Standard." It's not excatly unaccented (since, really, there is no such thing), but it's not particularly representative of any area (other than, perhaps, the central region of the east coast).

As for Lana... I don't actually have a preference.

I usually pronounce the "La" as in the musical note, so that it rhymes with "na." "La-na."

There's another version, though, where the first A is pronounced as in "apple." "Laa-na." (I guess, yeah, that would rhyme with "tan-a.") I've heard that often enough that I don't mind (or even really notice) it.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "Lawna." I can only imagine hearing that from a Boston native...

Anyway, thanks for the responses and votes so far. The thread has been intresting, and it's nice to see Option One making at least something of a comeback in the polls. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#236624 09/19/06 12:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'd say WAFF as in "waffles." It's just the way I've always said it. I was actually suprised to find that there were people who pronounced it differently.

It's interesting about LAFF, though. I do say it to rhyme with "laugh," but the thing is, the way I pronounce "laugh" isn't how most Americans would. I say it the British way -- with a long Aah sound. (Sorry, too lazy to hunt down phonetics smile

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
#236625 09/20/06 05:01 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I'm with you, Sara. I pronounce it way-fee!

Julie

#236626 10/09/06 04:25 AM
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
This made me realise that I probably pronounce "waffles" the wrong way blush

#236627 10/09/06 01:30 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Nancy you are too funny. But it's a good thought. Is it Lana like banana? Or Lana with an awwww sound? - as in Lana like your lawn - a.
Well . . .

In Smallville and Superman II, it's "La-na," while Clark in L&C says Lana like "banana" sometimes and either he or other characters say "La-na" other times (going by "Tempus Anyone?" here). I think it's all just a matter of "I say po-tay-toe, you say po-tah-toe."

Me? I've always preferred "La-na" myself--Lana like "banana" always sounded really nasal and annoying to me.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#236628 10/12/06 05:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As it's just one step away from my name, I pronounce Lana the way I do pronounce mine wink

So, it's La-Na with two waffle-a laugh

Bye,

Ja-Na
(whose name is always pronounced banana-like by all Americans wink )

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#236629 10/12/06 10:56 AM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
How do people pronounce NFic? I have always said NicFic. When I went to LAFF I said that to someone and they had no idea what I was talking about. eek

#236630 10/12/06 11:02 AM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I say it as "N. Fic" or possibly "N-Fic" No extra "ic" required. wink Not like there's an "ic" in any of the possible things that the N stands for...

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#236631 10/12/06 01:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I also say it as n. fic.

jd
wave

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236632 10/13/06 08:12 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Option 1. Until I stumbled across the poll, it never crossed my mind that there could be any kind of alternative.

Incidentally, for me Option 1 does not rhyme with 'laugh' -- or, exaggerating a little here, perhaps I should say 'larf', as in 'You're 'aving a larf, ain't ya?'.

LAFF doesn't rhyme with 'laugh', either. LAFF rhymes with WAFF. wink

Just so you know, I don't have a northern twang when I speak English, no matter than I haven't lived in the south of England for... wow. Quite a long time.

Paul, you have a beautiful voice. I'll listen to any audio fics you read!

Chris

#236633 10/14/06 02:40 PM
Kerth
Kerth
NicFic? Where did the first "ic" come from? In my mind I pronounce it "N <brief pause> Fic". Chris, I promise I didn't think you were a Geordie. wink

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#236634 10/18/06 05:17 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
With my accent it all sounds the same.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara