Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236596 09/01/06 05:55 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just curious. It's probably not a word you say out loud too often, but how would you pronounce "WAFF"?

To answer this question (and satisfy my curiousity):

Step 1: Click here to hear a short sound file with two possible pronounciations.

EDIT (For a little extra clarity):
Option One rhymes with "daffy" and "taffy."
Option Two is like the first half of "waffle."

Step 2:Think about which one is closer to the way you'd say it.

Step 3: Vote in the poll below.

Thanks. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#236597 09/01/06 07:57 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I think I may actually be somewhere in between, but will lean more towards the second option, meself. =D

Like saying waffles. laugh

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#236598 09/01/06 08:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The sound is off on my computer since it's so late, but I say it like waffles. :p And I totally say it! If I'm reading a fic, I'll speak out loud sometimes when I'm thinking through my FDK.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#236599 09/01/06 09:03 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
I voted other because... well, neither of the options are close to how I say it. laugh

I say it more way-fee. Am I the oddball out here? goofy

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#236600 09/01/06 11:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Heh. Thanks for the audio sample, Paul. I'm one of the two who've gone for the first option so far. Funny, I never thought there were alternate (and apparently more popular!) pronunciations of the term.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
#236601 09/01/06 11:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think, I tend to the second version.
Might be cause I in german, the "a" is always pronounced like in "waffle".
That's also the way I say "LAFF".

But tell me, Paul - whose voice had *that* been?
It made me shiver wink

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#236602 09/01/06 11:57 PM
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Incognito: I was as surprised as you were to discover that there was an "alternate" pronounciation, and I've been surprised by the vote so far, too.

Jana: Whose voice? Take a guess. wink

As for LAFF, I never considered pronouncing that in any way other than I'd say "laugh" (which also rhymes with option one).

Hmm. Now I'm wondering if I need to set up another poll... Waft vs waft . wink

(There are two red "speaker" icons on that page...)

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#236603 09/02/06 01:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, my speakers are disconnected, but I'd say I pronounce it closer to the second version (but not exactly) the way you wrote it.

Very interesting. I'd like to see a poll for the pronunciation of Lana Lang....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#236604 09/02/06 02:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted option two, I too like to say waffles... mmmm, waffles. drool

Ahem, anyway....

Nancy you are too funny. But it's a good thought. Is it Lana like banana? Or Lana with an awwww sound? - as in Lana like your lawn - a.

Hee hee. wink

In the story I just finished - whenever I said her name out loud as I wrote - it was Lana like lawn - a. But I've heard it Lana like banana before too. Hmmm...

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#236605 09/02/06 05:55 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by HatMan:
Jana: Whose voice? Take a guess. wink
Whoa, I thought so but didn't want to gush about that incredible voice when you might tell me afterwards it came from a PC or something wink

As for LAFF, I never considered pronouncing that in any way other than I'd say "laugh" (which also rhymes with option one).
See, it works the same for me - and my "laugh" has indeed the sound as in "waffle".

It might be interesting (yeah, I'm from the "Unimportant-but-interesting-Trivia front which I got recently to know in a fic by Annie M laugh ), whether there's a correlation between the way to pronounce these words and the origin of a person.
Cause in school we were strictly taught to pronounce "dance" and "can't" and so on with this "waffle"-a. (though not much of this Oxford English has survived in me wink )

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#236606 09/02/06 06:44 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I don't think I've ever actually said WAFF. I keep snakes, so to me "warm and fuzzy" tends to be something I've just thawed out for their dinner...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#236607 09/02/06 07:50 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I pronounce it like the second option, probably because I'm Dutch smile The first option sounds really weird to me because I've always thought of it like in waffle (yes, I do think about words.. :rolleyes: )

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#236608 09/02/06 08:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Count me in as another who didn't realize there was any other option than that WAFF rhymes with laugh. Not that I ever said it out loud, to my knowledge, but that's the way I say it in my mind.

On the other hand, after hearing the sound file (btw, I agree with Jana - nice voice, Paul) - I have to admit that the word WAFFY pronounced to rhyme with taffy sounds like it wacky and brings to mind a corn-ball comedy, where as WAFFY pronounced to rhyme with waffle -le +y, sounds sort of warm and fuzzy! Hmmm, I may have to change the way I pronounce the word. goofy

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#236609 09/02/06 08:46 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
It never even occured to me to pronouced it the option two way. I always did option one.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#236610 09/02/06 10:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I say it like the first option...

When I don't know how to say words (and I can't find sound bites for them on the internet!), I pronounce them as if they were French. When I was in Nashville last year, visiting friends I made on another website, they kept cracking up because I always mis-pronounced their nicks - they all sounded French and funny to them. wink (like "dido", which I say "deedo" since "i" is "ee" in French... eh... never occured to me that I was wrong. LOL)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#236611 09/02/06 10:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL, Paul! I agree with the others - very nice voice, and I think you should consider a career in radio.

For the record, I rhyme WAFF with laugh - and that's a northern, short 'a', not a southern, drawn-out 'a'. For further clarification, northerners pronounce their a's like...um...possibly Sean Connery, whereas southerns pronounce their a's like the royal family.

Yvonne

#236612 09/02/06 11:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I pronounce it like the second option, probably because I'm Dutch
I pronounce it as option number too as well, but it has nothing to do with the fact I'm Dutch. wink I know this is a word that can be pronounced in several ways and this just sounds better to me, more English in a way.

And nice voice, Paul! smile

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#236613 09/02/06 11:42 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
You English-speakers and your one thousand different ways of pronouncing 'a'... razz

It took me at least two listenings to figure out exactly what was different between the two options. I could hear they were slightly different, now that they were given as examples and I was *waiting* for the difference, but if I had heard the two options spoken by two different people in an everyday conversation, I probably wouldn't have noticed. But I guess having grown up learning Greek, where there's only one, very clear way of pronouncing 'a', I haven't been trained to tell apart easily these subtle differences.

Or maybe you guys are just very nitpicky [Linked Image]

As for how I pronounce it... I'm confused. I thought I said the first - well, in my head, I thought the first, with a very clear, very Greek 'a'. (Think Spanish 'a'.) But when I tried to *say* it, it came out more like the second option - or, well, less like the first option; not so clearly 'a'. (Haven't voted yet.)

And Paul - you sound nothing like I thought you would. I never imagined you had such a deep voice. (It's great, though smile Charming, even, if you'll allow me.)

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#236614 09/02/06 12:20 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, let's see DJ, my best friend's name is Lana like banana. But on Smallville Lana is pronounced Lawna.

Interesting note, Schnuffichen - You are unlikely to hear Americans saying dance and can't with a waffle a. That would make it sound very British to me.

Okay, now wait a minute, Vicki:

Count me in as another who didn't realize there was any other option than that WAFF rhymes with laugh. Not that I ever said it out loud, to my knowledge, but that's the way I say it in my mind.

On the other hand, after hearing the sound file (btw, I agree with Jana - nice voice, Paul) - I have to admit that the word WAFFY pronounced to rhyme with taffy sounds like it wacky and brings to mind a corn-ball comedy, where as WAFFY pronounced to rhyme with waffle -le +y, sounds sort of warm and fuzzy! Hmmm, I may have to change the way I pronounce the word.
So, you are saying you pronounce WAFF like laugh but laugh doesn't rhyme with taff as in taffy? If I were to say laugh-y it would rhyme with taffy. So how do you say laugh? Do you say laugh as in the lof part of loft? I voted, but I didn't listen to Paul. So what accent do you speak with Paul? Now it makes me wonder how some of you say waffle. I might have to hook up my speakers....

I thought I liked what Anna said about the Spanish 'a', which is how I would say it, but she didn't describe a Spanish 'a' the way I say a Spanish 'a' and I thought it was always the same. Anna described saying a Spanish 'a' the first way Paul described which is taffy, but I say waffle the same way I say a Spanish 'a'.

So now do any of us actually know how we think the other folks here pronounce WAFF? I don't think those little marks that tell us how to pronounce the different types of 'a' sounds would help since we all seem to be saying it different anyway. What a hoot.... rotflol

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#236615 09/02/06 12:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
PS, I finally listened to the sound clip today, Paul. You totally belong in radio. :p

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard