Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I will read about anything, though I hate unfinished stories. I'd rather read a complete story ( and sequals! laugh ), but then I'll read not yet complete ones because I want to read more, then I'll read no hope of ever being completed ones, then I'll go look for more!

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
One of my pet peeves is an author who gets you all involved in a story and then leaves you hanging in the middle of it, forever.

I'm aware that I have 2 stories that are hanging at the moment, but in spite of a lot of real life issues, I am still working on them, and will eventually finish. That's a promise.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is actually the first fandom I have ever been a part of where I started off on an archive full of completed stories. This was a completely new concept to me. smile I have to say I have become a bit spoiled. As I was reading I was a bit sad to have missed out on the hey-day of this fandom but then I realize how many great stories I got to read and didn't have to wait on. ^_~ That makes things a bit better.

This is a really hard one for me to answer though. In one aspect I love being able to read a finished story in one sitting. There is something magical about a well written story and how it flows. You don't even realize those stories were written in parts. You also don't have to read parts over again to remember anything. For me I can get into the story and really focus on the characters if i do it in one sitting.

But... I also love to read them as they are being written. There is something refreshing about being able to chat with an author as they write their story and find out what is going on in their head as they pump out a wonderful story. It's also way to much fun waiting for the next part to be posted and the excitement of seeing that next part pop up.

On the flip side, I hate reading one that is being written when an author changes their vision of the story just for the fans. I'm not talking about small things but where they destroy entire plot lines just to make people happy. I'd rather see alternative endings than for an author to do that.

Anyway, I do believe I have just started to ramble. smile *stops this post before she continues to do just that*

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My current story is not complete, and because I've read feedback along the way, I have been able to add certain things in way of explanation. Feedback can be very valuable for a story! But I will also say that the basic story was mostly done before I ever started posting. One example I can give about feedback is that I mentioned in passing a person's pet cat. I probably would never have mentioned little Meowoof ever again if she hadn't become so popular among feedback leavers. Feedback can be very valuable to an ongoing story and I think it can greatly improve a story, but I don't want to see the author change the story just to make readers happy. I know I got major flack because of something I did, but I stood by it. But then if not for feedback little Meowoof would never have been mentioned again.

I read stories in both the archive and on the boards. I don't read as many on the boards because like others I can't keep it straight when I'm reading several stories at once.

Ah, somebody else does this:

For the longer ones, I'll copy them over to Word and make an eBook out of them that I can read on my PocketPC when I have free time.
I love doing that.

Well said, Wendy:

There are typos and even a couple of continuity errors in stories of mine on the Archive, but it's really not worth making people do extra work just to spare my blushes.
But then really, I doubt you have made any major typos....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Features Writer
Features Writer
I read anything and everything (whether I have the time/inclination to feedback as I would like to is an entirely different issue).It's certainly disappointing when a story is unfinished, but if there's anything I've learned from my reading obsession (both in and outside of fanfic) is to enjoy the ride. I love speculating on where a given author will take me once I'm drawn into his-her world. That to me is enough, so that I don't necessarily swear off unfinished stories.

Haunting Eden (for example) as Kathy mentioned is one of those where the ride is worth it despite the abscence of an ending (thus far). I could say the same for TJ Gruffs and Concubines. All in all, if I'm drawn in by a story (or already worship the author) it matters little to me whether its finished. I mean of course I'd love it all the more if it was, but that doesn't mean I don't savor every word all the same.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Beat Reporter
Online Sleepy
Beat Reporter
I read as much as I can hoping the story is finished as soon as possible

Kathryn
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard