Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey Nan smile

Thanks for the offer! We'd be delighted to have a story from you. Keep an eye on the boards over the next few days - we'll be posting more information about what we're looking for and deadlines and so on very soon.

The Fundraising Committee smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I said I'd send a donation whether I get anything or not. I personally like Tank's idea of a download. And I'm on a dial-up. Although the laptop is WiFi and I can sneak over to McDonald's parking lot and dl it faster!
I've gotten so many years of enjoyment out of all the sites and I'd really like that to continue. Truth be told, though, I'm more a fanfic fan than a trailer fan, but that's me.
Another way to raise money might be to "auction" off a story from a favorite author. For instance, I'd pay to have Nan write a story and e-mail it to me privately first. Then after I've read it, it could go on the various sites. It would be like being a beta reader, in that you know the story before anyone else, and not having to do any work!
I think the DVD mailing thing might become a big hassle for the committee and Tank is right about people not wanting to share home addresses.
Annette seems to have delt with the technical issue of DVD compatibility.
Anyway, just my $.02.
cool
Artemis
Offline for a few days - going to Oregon

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
If the video content on the DVD would be playable on a TV, I'd much prefer that option. When Anna was here a few weeks ago we watched a bunch of music videos on the television and it was so much more fun than watching on the computer! And I'm not convinced the encoding/formatting would be that much of a hassle; once you got it done once you'd just be burning copies. I'd be happy to help with that if need be.

On the other hand, if they're just going to play on a computer, a website seems just as accessible as a DVD.

The only other thought I had was that it might be fun to have a few trailers on the DVD for "coming attractions," stories that aren't out yet, the way that commercial DVDs have previews at the beginning. Maybe even for stories that would appear in next year's fundraiser incentive wink . Assuming anyone would want to commit to having a story ready that far in advance (and that shouldn't be misconstrued to mean I'm volunteering wink ).

At any rate, I think the plan on the whole sounds great. Good work, guys!
Kaylle

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Coming attractions... well, maybe people could make trailers for stories/sequels that they want to see finished? goofy

And I love the idea of auctioning off a story smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Another idea to throw into the mix would be to "auction off" a music video or trailer. I'd be more than happy to let somebody tell me what song or story to vid and any clips or effects they want used. They could even beta it and we could work together till we get something they're really happy with. smile

~Anna

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On the other hand, if they're just going to play on a computer, a website seems just as accessible as a DVD.
But dial up is a pain as mentioned above. I'd much rather have a dvd/cd I can load to my computer.

I'm getting in late on this discussion so if it's already been decided, then nevermind.

TEEEEEJ

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Don't worry, TJ - you guys on dialup are the major reason why we wouldn't offer a download as the sole 'product'. smile

At the moment, we're looking at offering a choice between the DVD and a download - we haven't decided on minimum donation levels yet, but my guess is that it would be lower for the download because, of course, we have no production or shipping costs. wink Course, with the DVD you'll not only get a shiny disk in your hot little hand, but - we hope - some terrific cover art that one of FoLCdom's most artistically-talented people has volunteered to produce for us.

And can I say once more, on behalf of your impromptu, volunteer fundraising committee, a huge thank you to everyone who's offered to help out with this effort, in all sorts of ways. FoLCs are amazing, and we love you all. goofy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Course, with the DVD you'll not only get a shiny disk in your hot little hand, but - we hope - some terrific cover art that one of FoLCdom's most artistically-talented people has volunteered to produce for us.
This email confirms that you have paid amciotola@aol.com using PayPal. This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *AMCIOTOLA".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Total: $25.00 USD
Item/Product Name: lncsitefromtjgruffs

DONE!! Gimme!! grovel

TEEEEEJ

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Whoa... It's just in the beginning stages of production right now, TJ. smile

Thank you so much for the donation!! goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's just in the beginning stages of production right now, TJ.
Yeah I figured that, but I'm officially in line to get my copy now laugh .

TEEEEEEJ thumbsup

D
Blogger
Blogger
D
I hate to burst your bubble, but this is a bad idea. You have to drop it. This idea breaks copyright laws. Even if the network does not care about the amount of stories on this site that do not hold disclaimers, they will really have a problem with you all making money off of their copyrighted material. Like, the clips used in your videos.

Then there is the RIAA, who is on a witch hunt right now. Downloading stuff is harder to find, but you all are here posting something that is being left up for all to see, making it public that you are making these dvd's and making money off of them. Does not matter if it is a fundraiser or not. You know that when money is in the mix, they will really start to care.

If the RIAA finds out you are using music from major record labels, there is going to be serious problems...

Just a heads up..

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, fic is legal. The fandom's been around for a long time, and TPTB have made it clear that they're aware of us. I have been assured by a corperate lawyer from a prominent NYC firm that since they haven't told us to stop in all that time, they have legally given up their right to do so.

I'm not quite as sure about vids, but I can tell you that they're fairly common in a number of fandoms and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble over them.

Frankly, even if they could, they'd be crazy to shut this down. They'd lose our good will and hurt the fandom (particularly the members of the fandom willing to spend money)... just as they're in the process of releasing the series on DVD. If they gave us trouble over the fundraiser and/or vids, they'd only end up hurting their own sales.

In any case, as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, we've held fundraisers like this before.

As to the recording industry... They're focusing on file sharing networks and such, worrying about losing CD sales. I hardly think they're about to start bothering small communities of vidders.

(Also, for the record, there's no profit being made, since the money is going to cover the costs of site hosting, etc... That does make a difference.)

So, basically... Speaking for myself, I think we're fine. No bubbles in need of bursting here.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by HatMan:
Actually, fic is legal. The fandom's been around for a long time, and TPTB have made it clear that they're aware of us. I have been assured by a corperate lawyer from a prominent NYC firm that since they haven't told us to stop in all that time, they have legally given up their right to do so.

I'm not quite as sure about vids, but I can tell you that they're fairly common in a number of fandoms and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble over them.

Frankly, even if they could, they'd be crazy to shut this down. They'd lose our good will and hurt the fandom (particularly the members of the fandom willing to spend money)... just as they're in the process of releasing the series on DVD. If they gave us trouble over the fundraiser and/or vids, they'd only end up hurting their own sales.

In any case, as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, we've held fundraisers like this before.

As to the recording industry... They're focusing on file sharing networks and such, worrying about losing CD sales. I hardly think they're about to start bothering small communities of vidders.

(Also, for the record, there's no profit being made, since the money is going to cover the costs of site hosting, etc... That does make a difference.)

So, basically... Speaking for myself, I think we're fine. No bubbles in need of bursting here.

Paul
You all just need to be aware that including music that is recent in those videos, and basically reselling it in a video, you are leaving yourself open for possable problems.

Fanfic is not legal. It is just something that most networks over look. Not many care.

But that is not the bigger problem. The use of the music is. Anyone donating is putting themself at possable risk.

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by digitalsky:
You all just need to be aware that including music that is recent in those videos, and basically reselling it in a video, you are leaving yourself open for possable problems.

Fanfic is not legal. It is just something that most networks over look. Not many care.

But that is not the bigger problem. The use of the music is. Anyone donating is putting themself at possable risk.
Thanks for the warning smile

David (who'll be donating anyway - I like to live life on the edge wink )

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by David0411:
Originally posted by digitalsky:
[b]You all just need to be aware that including music that is recent in those videos, and basically reselling it in a video, you are leaving yourself open for possable problems.

Thanks for the warning smile

David (who'll be donating anyway - I like to live life on the edge wink ) [/b]
I ment donating to the dvd..

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No one is donating to the DVD, DS. Or paying for it. Everyone is donating to the upkeep of the sites listed above. The DVD is a free bonus 'gift', if you will, sent to those who donate above a specific level, in appreciation of them going the extra mile, so to speak.

The funds raised are for non-profit-making websites. No one is making a profit on donations.

There is therefore no difference between posting music videos here on the mbs and putting them on a DVD and sending them to people, free of charge. Think of it, if you like, in the same way as someone taping a show from TV and then sending the tape to a friend who's never seen it and wants to, but whose TV station doesn't show it.

Or, if you will - say that a member of these mbs loves music vids, but can't see the ones posted here because they use dialup and it's too slow to dl them for viewing. Another member dls the music vids and puts them on a DVD and sends it to them, so that they can share in the fun. That's basically what's happening here, more or less.

Are these things legal? Well that's blurry. But they are traditionally accepted as something not to get all het up and bothered about by all concerned and have been for decades.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I hate to burst your bubble, but this is a bad idea.
I hope you're wrong, DS, for the reasons others have stated -- but I wanted to thank you for sharing your concern with us. You saw what looked like a disaster in the making (and I can see why you'd be concerned, now that you've pointed it out), and instead of settling back to watch the train wreck, you took the time to speak up. That's the kind of community spirit we're hoping for around here thumbsup

So, whether we take your advice or not, we appreciate you offering it smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by LabRat:
No one is donating to the DVD, DS. Or paying for it. Everyone is donating to the upkeep of the sites listed above. The DVD is a free bonus 'gift', if you will, sent to those who donate above a specific level, in appreciation of them going the extra mile, so to speak.

The funds raised are for non-profit-making websites. No one is making a profit on donations.

There is therefore no difference between posting music videos here on the mbs and putting them on a DVD and sending them to people, free of charge. Think of it, if you like, in the same way as someone taping a show from TV and then sending the tape to a friend who's never seen it and wants to, but whose TV station doesn't show it.

Or, if you will - say that a member of these mbs loves music vids, but can't see the ones posted here because they use dialup and it's too slow to dl them for viewing. Another member dls the music vids and puts them on a DVD and sends it to them, so that they can share in the fun. That's basically what's happening here, more or less.

Are these things legal? Well that's blurry. But they are traditionally accepted as something not to get all het up and bothered about by all concerned and have been for decades.

LabRat smile
Again.

Donating, as in donating their work to the dvd. If someone has issues with this idea, anyone who has their name on that disc could be liable.

Columnist
Columnist
Again.

Donating, as in donating their work to the dvd. If someone has issues with this idea, anyone who has their name on that disc could be liable.
We'll take our chances. But thanks for warning us. Just a question? Is there anything you do like on these boards?

Rach

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well...like Rach said, we'll take our chances.

I for one am all for it! Raising money to keep one of the best boards on the web up and running...I see no harm in that.

I've already decided on a vid and maybe this time I'll take even LONGER making it. Who knows.

Later Days!
Andie (who is all in for the Fundraising drive)

Am I gay? I'm ECSTATIC!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Weisz and Rae for the Rockin Icon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard