Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey all smile

As most of you know, these sites are kept going with a lot of hard work on the part of willing volunteers, and also with donations from FoLCs. Every few years we run a fundraiser, asking for donations to pay the costs of webhosting, domain names etc. The last fundraiser was in spring/summer 2004; generous FoLCs donated enough cash to keep the sites going for at least three years.

In the meantime, Annette has kindly provided a new site for hosting videos, trailers, photos and so on - as these take up a lot more space and bandwidth, this site is more expensive than the others and so, even though we get a really good rate from our webhost, we need to raise more money sooner than we anticipated. So watch these boards for a new appeal for cash within the next few months.

In preparation for this, we have some thoughts about what could be offered in return for donations. Last time we raffled some autographed fanzines, and this poll asks for your opinion on what the unofficial 'fundraising committee' is considering for this time round. We had the idea of asking winners/nominees for the Kerth short story categories in recent years to write a new story. Then one of our very talented trailer-makers would make a trailer to accompany the story. The stories and trailers would be put on a DVD, as well as some new music videos. Anyone donating over a certain amount would get a copy automatically. Nothing on the DVD would be released online until a year after its issue for the fundraiser.

There are costs involved in burning and mailing a DVD, so we'd have to take that into account in setting the minimum donation for getting a copy. And this, incidentally, is why we're not considering a paper fanzine this time. Last time, we had help covering the costs of printing, binding and so on, and one FoLC paid for most of the postage costs (which were very high as the fanzines were heavy) out of her own pocket.

Finally, when we get started on the fundraiser we're going to need help: volunteers to make trailers and videos, collectors in different countries/regions, help with distribution etc. So if you'd like to help in any way, do let us know!

Oh, and if there's anything at all that's not clear, please post to ask! We're still working this all out ourselves - which is why we're asking for opinions wink - and it's very possible that we've overlooked stuff or not explained it very well.

Edited to add: We're still discussing the mechanics of distribution costs, specifically the cost of mailing the DVD to a country where we don't have FoLCs who are able to burn and mail it to others. One option is that the minimum donation could be reduced and shipping costs calculated separately, so watch this space and if you have anything to add on that subject please post!

Wendy, SaraK and Yvonne smile
'Fundraising Committee'

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
By the way...love this plan! laugh

I was the one to answer you need something else fabulous bla bla wink

I think that each author should submit a small bio about themselves to put on the DVD. Like an extra kind of thing. It's nice to know a little bit about the authors of our wonderful stories! smile

Just a thought...

~Lois Lane Wanna Be

"Live with intention.
Walk to the edge.
Listen Hard.
Practice wellness.
Play with abandon.
Laugh.
Choose with no regret.
Continue to learn.
Appreciate your friends.
Do what you love.
Live as if this is all there is."
~Mary Anne Radmacher
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
And it's a great thought too, LLWB! It wouldn't be at all difficult to do, wink and it makes things more interesting for readers, as you say.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Columnist
Columnist
Count me in to help in any way I can. Vids, trailers, graphics, whatever. Just let me know what you need from me, and I'll make it happen. smile

~Anna

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm probably going to show off my computer ingnorance here but in lieu of the cost of burning and mailing a bunch of DVDs. Would it be more cost effective to put the 'special items' on a secured webspot for a period of time? Those who contribute the threshold amount would be emailed the password which would give them access to the items for downloading on their own.

Each contributor could then decide whether or not to just read/enjoy the items, or burn their own DVD from their download.

Tank (who has contributed a story in the past and would be happy to again if TPTB would want one, though he also understands that they might be looking for 'new blood')

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That's a very interesting idea, Tank. It would certainly save on time and costs. The only drawback I can imagine off the top of my head is someone with dial-up might find it tedious to download and some might have downloading problems.

But we could always get around that by having the DVD on standby and if anyone encountered problems dl from the site they could get it by mail. It would still be a saving anyway, I think.

And actually, although while trawling around the net looking for music videos and fanfic I often have dl problems here and there, I think here in FoLCdom our sites are pretty stable and don't have many of those problems. That's been my experience, anyway. So problems dl from a site would be minimal, I think.

Unless, the techies out there can foresee problems with a password? The Stargate forum where I'm currently getting my episode dls has a system where you have to post 10 posts to the forum before you get access to the dls. They do this by having the folder that contains the dls invisible. It only appears when you make the 10 posts. So this kind of thing seems to be possible, albeit I have no idea how difficult it is.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I guess the only question would be whether someone would turn around and give everyone the password, which would kind of defeat the point... but then, people can copy DVDs, too. And in my decade of FOLCdom, I've seen very few people who want to cheat like that, so we're probably okay there.

Personally, I prefer this idea -- for some reason, going to a website (even with a password) just seems a lot easier than getting a DVD in the mail. Which is kind of strange, I admit, but there you are. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm slightly broke (some of you know my situation. blech) so I couldn't afford to donate unless something changed between now and then (please, change!) However, the question of a dvd came to mind. Despite being such a popular technology, some people don't have dvd players attached to their computers. You might also want to think of providing cd's for those that want them.

Just an idea. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Thanks for all the responses and ideas so far! Keep them coming. goofy

Sara, Wendy, and Yvonne
"Fundraising Committee"

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, like I said, I'm leaning toward the password-protected website idea, personally -- I've had several different experiences of getting a CD/DVD in the mail and then finding out that my system couldn't play it. whinging It seems very likely to me that others would be in the same boat.

And then there's the question of whether people would be comfortable giving out their mailing addresses. Random fly-by lurkers wouldn't donate, I wouldn't think, but there might be long-term lurkers, or people going by an alias, or very security-conscious FOLCs who would prefer not to share that information.

OTOH, obviously some other people love the idea of a DVD -- no download time, take it with you anywhere without the hassle of burning it, it looks wicked cool on the shelf, etc.

So... why can't we offer both? Set a minimum donation level, whatever it takes to cover costs, and then let the donor decide if he/she would like a DVD to be mailed, or would prefer getting a website address and password.

Would it work to set one minimum donation level for a DVD, if you want one, with a slightly lower level for getting a password? I'm assuming that the website option would be less expensive than shipping, but I may be wrong -- obviously there are costs involved in hosting websites (otherwise we wouldn't need to raise funds!).

Just some thoughts smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Personally I'd rather have the DVD so that I could play the vids on my tv rather than my computer. That way I can watch from my couch with a bowl of popcorn. wink On the other hand I've also had DVDs mailed to me and found that they don't play on my tv, so that's the down side.

I really like Pam's idea of having both and letting the donator choose, but it might be a lot of work for you guys to sort all of that out, and it might cost even more to do both than doing just one or the other.

~Anna

Blogger
Blogger
In the past I have always donated when someone asked for it. smile But I can't do it this time. frown Things are a little tight since I don't work anymore. Hopefully when I start getting my social security check I can help you all again.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I like Pam's idea of doing both. Unfortunately, I can't help out money wise because I've been unemployed for a couple of years now. I just got done with school, so I'll be looking for work.

I'd still like to help though. Is there a link or something that I can upload to my SOSL&C website I'm working on? I'd at least like to advertise what's going on so others can donate if they can. cool

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, everyone, for your input so far! We've had lots of terrific ideas and the fundraising committee (well, actually, an informal group of us who've semi-volunteered smile1 Tank, we're considering the possibility of offering a choice between a download and a DVD - Annette's looking at the technicalities involved in the DL option. If we went with it, the minimum donation for a DL would be less than for a DVD. Oh, and I love your suggestion - in private email wink - for a story!

Anita, Alexis and others... we perfectly understand that some people simply can't afford to donate. Anita, I hope your financial circumstances improve soon; Alexis, good luck job-hunting! And we'd love it if you could advertise the fundraiser on your site - once we officially launch it, there'll be the appeal post on these boards, the Archive, Annesplace and so on which you could link to.

Incidentally, although we've been talking about minimum donations to get the DVD, we do hope that everyone understands that any amount, however small, is very much appreciated. Even a single dollar helps. Without the help and support of FoLCs, sites such as the Fanfic Archive, Annesplace and the nfic archive, FoLCVideo, FoLCPhoto, the new Kerth website and these boards simply wouldn't exist. We want to thank again everyone who has donated money in the past and hope that we can count on the continuing support of those who are able to help.

Keep those suggestions and offers of help coming! We've said it before and we'll say it again: FoLCs are wonderful. hail

Wendy, Yvonne, Sara and LabRat
the recently-augmented "Fundraising Committee" wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I'm sure someone has thought of this, but let's be clear precisely what would be on this DVD/CD.

If we're talking about pure data, yes -- put it on an extra branch of some archive, give us access, then shift to the normal archive next year. For those who can't download, send a CD. Maybe it'll just be the huge trailer sizes, but are we really likely to exceed 720 MB and need a couple GB? Or are we just saying DVD because it sounds cooler?

Also consider that, last I looked, a DVD-R cost about the same as 3 or 4 CD-R. It might still be more cost efficient to burn multiple CDs rather than a DVD for data.

However, TV use was mentioned above. Be aware that if you want video-compatible DVDs, you'll have to wrestle with NTSC (the US/Japan? standard, jokingly interpreted as "Never The Same Color"), PAL (most of Europe) and SECAM (ces français dingues....). Not a clue, for the rest of the world. Also, be careful with region coding -- I'm not sure whether the DVDs bought locally would be local-region or Region 0. This might be circumvented by having the distributor be the one to transcode the videos onto the DVD in their local video standard, but there are technical hang-ups that might need to be addressed carefully.

Blogger
Blogger
I really feel bad cause I said I couldn't help. Cause I love reading all the stories so I feel like I should help some way. I still have Annette's address where I sent her money before. If I find out I can send some money would it be ok to send it to her. If her address has changed please send me an email.

Thanks,
Anita

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Wendy, in regards to my personal email to you, I'm not so sure? Do you really think that anyone would be interested in a double chall... ,er, did I say that out loud?

Um, perhaps everyone should just forget I even posted this... yeah, that's it. I never posted this.

Tank (who never posted this)

Merriwether
Merriwether
Yep, I'm hallucinating, because I'm sure I saw something. And I'm sure that if everyone saw what I saw, they'd be quite interested, too! As much, if not more (is that possible), than I am!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Also consider that, last I looked, a DVD-R cost about the same as 3 or 4 CD-R. It might still be more cost efficient to burn multiple CDs rather than a DVD for data.
Actually, you'd be surprized how much the price has come down on DVDrs. If you visit http://www.cdrdvdrmedia.com/ , which is where I buy my DVDs, you'll see the great deals they have. I prefer the GreatAZO brand that work great in all my dvd burners.

However, TV use was mentioned above. Be aware that if you want video-compatible DVDs, you'll have to wrestle with NTSC (the US/Japan? standard, jokingly interpreted as "Never The Same Color"), PAL (most of Europe) and SECAM (ces français dingues....). Not a clue, for the rest of the world. Also, be careful with region coding -- I'm not sure whether the DVDs bought locally would be local-region or Region 0. This might be circumvented by having the distributor be the one to transcode the videos onto the DVD in their local video standard, but there are technical hang-ups that might need to be addressed carefully.
With the right software, the switch back from PAL to NTSC and vise versa can be easy. http://www.svcd2dvd.com Also, DVDs can be made to be region free; however, on the flip side, most DVD players can be hacked, via the remote control, to play all regions. I have four such DVD players.

I highly recommend the Philips DVP642 player. Amazon.com has the player for $63. Well worth the price.

Thanks!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
As the winner of the Kerth Super Short story this year, I'd be more than happy to write something for your fundraiser. We're a little broke money-wise right now. We just had to replace the heat pump and put on a new roof to the tune of big bucks and plenty of stress, but I'm sure I could dig up something to send to you for your fundraiser along with the story. Let me know what sort of story you want, or do you just want to take a chance? Let me know, please.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard