Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235649 07/05/05 05:04 AM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I've gotten back into writing LnC fanfic lately and it's gotten me thinking. The last time I was writing, there were no such things as WHAM warning threads. Now that we have them, I'd like to know exactly how readers like them to be used. smile

Do you like to have WHAM warnings? What exactly do you consider a WHAM? What things do you like to be warned about?

~Anna

#235650 07/05/05 06:40 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I usually consider a WHAM to be any moment in a story that could cause the reader a considerable amount of angst and potential heart-trouble to read. This could be any number of things, from a character death to your written tensely near-death Clark or Lois is in peril situation.

I don't care one way or the other if there is a warning about these things or not, but I generally include the kind of mood a reader can expect to find in my author's notes when I've written something.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#235651 07/05/05 01:19 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
For me, a WHAM is any Wistful, Heartwrenching, Agonizing Moment laugh that is related to an A-plot. I know that a Lois/Lex kiss can be wistful and heartwrenching and agonizing for anyone even me. But I have somehow linked the word 'WHAM' with A-plot.

I don't really want WHAM warnings - they work as spoilers, and I hate spoilers.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#235652 07/05/05 01:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For me, a WHAM is any Wistful, Heartwrenching, Agonizing Moment that is related to an A-plot.
Anna's got the original meaning of the term... a poignant quiet moment of exquisite angst... (think Clark watching Lois say "yes" to Lex) but it didn't take long for "WHAM" the term to match meanings with "wham" the sound, and it turned into a term to describe death and destruction. I liked the first version better laugh

Warnings may be a good idea, but don't seem to be very practical. Especially since we don't all have the same meaning for the term <g>

My personal no-no's would be the bad guy winning, or a child being abused/dying, although even there, I can get into it if it's written well. I'm thinking LauraBF's heartwrenching "Little Girl Lost" here. razz

As for L&C making love with anyone but each other -- that may be extremely icky, and I'm not saying I'm likely to like it, but I don't think I'd call it a WHAM.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#235653 07/05/05 03:01 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The only thing i'd want a warning on is main-character death. If any of our favorite people were going to die, I'd like to be prepared so I can get the tissues, or just put it off for another day. I cry way to easily, and it gives me a headache.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#235654 07/05/05 03:01 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Ditto to what Diane said. Anything heart-wrenching that causes you to cry... I don't like being warned of that because it lessens the impact.

The examples you listed... suppose they could be called WHAMs, but I actually consider them in a different category of their own. I consider things like "Lois and Dan" or "Someone dies" to be a distinction of genre. The dying could certainly be considered a WHAM, though. I don't really think anything else would.

If someone tells me, "Oh! That story has a huge WHAM in it!" I'm not thinking to ask if that means I should watch out for a scene with Lois and Dan. It *could* mean that the situation itself is terribly emotional *because* Lois is with Dan, but all I'd expect the warning to mean is: "Sara, watch out! You're going to cry!" goofy

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#235655 07/13/05 04:59 PM
BanAnna Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Thanks for responding, you guys. smile I guess there is no clear cut answer (I didn't think there would be wink ), but this gives me a better idea. Thanks!

~Anna

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard