Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
That other poll made me curious, so let's look at this from a different angle. What season was the first episode you ever saw? And was the first episode you saw enough to hook you on the show? I know the show's aired in crazy sequences around the world, so if you first caught a glimpse of a S4 ep but didn't really fall in love with the show until you saw something in S2, that's okay. wink

I expect the two questions will have pretty similar responses, but I know that people's experiences vary; I saw the pilot when it was first aired but didn't turn into a FoLC until Tempus Fugitive, for instance. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
I'm really not sure what the first ep I saw was, but I know it was in the first season. I think it was probably either GGGOH or MOSB.

Whatever it was, I remember it taking me about three or four episodes to really hook me. My sister was the one who initially made me watch it, and by the end of the first season we were obsessed. We also got our other sister watching it somewhere in the second season.

This poll brings back such memories... two really vivid ones in particular. I remember watching Madam Ex and seeing Justin Whalin as Jimmy for the first time. My sister and I looked at each other and said, emphatically, "That is NOT Jimmy!" Eventually I got over it cause now I prefer Justin Whalin over Michael Landes, but that's a whole nother conversation.

I also remember my sisters and I sobbing at the end of the third season and my mom came in the room and said, "Girls! It's just a TV show!" She still doesn't understand the fan mentality. wink

~Anna (who is done rambling about things that had little to do with the poll)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I saw the pilot the first day this show aired (in the US) but was kind of iffy about it right up until GGGOH. The funny was where I got hooked. So long as they kept throwing in funny stuff I was willing to stick with it and the romance made it better.

TEEEEEEJ

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
The first episode I saw was Smart Kids. I liked it, but somehow I didn't watch any more until All Shook Up. Since then I started watching regularly, rarely missing any episodes. Gradually, I became a big fan.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
The 1st episode I watched was When irish eyes are killing, but it was in 1999, so, how the show had already ended they aired it here every weekday, so, I kept watching it everyday and by the end of the week I was already addicted

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I've been hooked on the Superman myth since I read the comic books and watched the early TV shows.

So, it's not surprising that when the advertising for the series came on TV and in the newspapers, I was eagerly awaiting the Pilot.

And I was hooked.

It was the LOIS and CLARK that hooked me. I always wanted more Clark and a more "human" Clark than we'd read or seen before. Deborah Joy Levine had created the Clark that I believed was hidden by the suit. And that's what hooked me.

gerry

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
About a year ago I caught the end episode "Meet John Doe" on TV. I was bored and watched it and was very frustrated when I noticed I only managed to a catch the last ten minutes... and it was a TBC as well!
I really wanted to know what would happen, so naturally, I missed "Lois and Clarks". (and I *still* haven't managed to see that ep!)

It wasn't until "Faster than a speeding Vixen" that I managed to figure out what T.V. show I had been watching... and when it was shown. I became a FoLC after that.

But, naturally, they cancelled L&C on that channel after the season our final... Blech!

Dear, I must be a really new fan. shock

"How many times must I tell you? Queens consume nectars and ambrosia, not hot dogs."
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh boy, oh boy, is this a long story. And I'm going to tell it. So there. laugh

I was only vaguely aware of the first three seasons of LNC. I'd never been much interested in the Superman myth before. Never read the comics as a kid , I enjoyed the first two Chris Reeve movies, but that was about it. For the longest time, the only thing I knew about the show was that occasionally while channel hopping around tea-time on Saturday afternoons, I'd get a glimpse of a billowing red cape and complain there was nothing decent on to watch. wink My good friend, Lyndsay, watched it with her kids and enjoyed it and I used to tease her about watching 'that awful kids' show'.

Yeah, yeah - what did I know? goofy - but it was enough to immediately pique my interest.

Now, here, I have to say, that had very little to do with the quality of the show. Or even what it was about. For years, I've had this...thing...where I'm completely and utterly fascinated with plots which are about a/ a character losing their memory or b/ the evil double plot. I've been known to watch episodes of shows I'd otherwise detest if that's the plot that week. laugh Those few seconds were enough for me to identify that that handsome guy on screen was dealing with an evil double and my radar went 'ding'. But, of course, I wasn't able to watch any more at that point.

Months later, I noted idly that one of the cable channels was rerunning the show daily at 6pm from the pilot. Made a mental note to tune in. Promptly forgot. So it wasn't until that run reached midway through S2 that I was idly channel hopping one night and fell into my very first episode - the second half of The Phoenix. I liked it.

From there on, things progressed with an eerie familiarity, much on a par with other shows I've fallen in love with:

Stage 1: If I was channel hopping and found an episode was running, I'd probably watch it.

Stage 2: Start to actively look out for it and watch. Realise that this show has the major elements in it that I love in any show. Romance. Humour. And great character relationship. Maybe it's not so bad...

Stage 3: Think...maybe I'll tape the odd episode. Not to keep. Oh no. But, you know...just in case I miss it... (Also spend a great deal of my weekly chats with Lyndsay raving over the latest episode I've seen. At this point she gets very smug in an 'I told you so' kind of way)

Stage 4: Start spending the entire working day wondering what's going to happen in that night's episode... (I swear, it was a darned good thing there was only one day's wait between ATAI and WHALTTA or I might have gone insane with frustration. No idea how the rest of you coped waiting months for the conclusion to that one!)

Stage 5: Rush off the bus and tear up the street, throw bags and coat in a heap and rush to get the VCR on.... (At this point Stuart is informed that if I'm not there he should tape it and if he misses it He. Will. Die. Probably very messily.)

The rest is history. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
The first episode I saw was Smart Kids, and I wasn't really that into the show, but my best friend adored it and liked to drool over Dean Cain, so I endured ;p I had been used to the Superman movies, and found the contrast in appearance between the two to be very distracting, and I just couldn't quite get into it in the hour I allowed myself to view it.

But said friend just kept gabbing about it. Around this time, I was also getting introduced to this crazy thing called the Internet... I had my feet dragging, trying to resist, when somebody said, let's do a search on that Dean Cain guy. I discovered, through this, tons of stuff about the show, the actors, and then stumbled into fanfiction by accident. I spent hours and hours looking at all this stuff. It was great. Eventually after absorbing all this material, I decided to give it another shot.

A week before the premiere of Season 2, I saw a rerun of All Shook Up, loved it, and was totally hooked by the end of Madame Ex a week later. After that, I sought out tapes of the first season and watched the show religiously until it concluded on that cliff-hanger baby ;p

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Top Banana
Top Banana
What season was the very *first* episode of Lois & Clark that you saw?
Okay, Pam, you asked me to explain if I answered 'other' so here I am. The fact is, I can't remember. I suspect I saw bits, or even an entire episode, from the first season, but I really don't know for certain. I'm not very season-aware, for one thing. I've got a crappy memory, for another. And I didn't really key into the series until I saw the virus episode (see, I'm not even very title-aware <g>), but as I continued to follow the series through S3, S4, then S1 & 2, I began to see eps I was sure I'd seen before.

Basically, I'm totally confused and clueless <g>.

But otherwise, my story is similar to Rat's. The difference is that, whereas she's a sucker for evil doubles and memory loss, I'm a sucker for...well, I expect you can guess. blush So as soon as I realised this was an episode where Superman is struck down by a virus and lies dying for a large chunk of time while his loved ones sit around fretting, I was hooked. Then I noticed that Clark Kent was rather good looking. Oh, and look! Lois Lane knows that CK is Superman - that's different. And oh! There's snappy dialogue and a nice romance. Okay, I'm hooked. laugh

Yvonne

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, it's fairly well known that I'm a comic book geek. I've been involved in the planning and putting on of comic book conventions for over 16 years.

Superman was always a favorite of mine. I first heard some concrete stuff about the show at the Chicago Comicon the summer before it aired. There was a panel of Superman 'folks' who discussed the upcoming show and how it would affect the comic book version.

When it aired, I watched it regularly. Only missed a few episodes the first time around. After the series was cancelled I said, 'darn, but oh well' and moved on with my life.

It wasn't until I discovered the reruns on TNT simultaneously with the acquisition of the internet at work, that I became a 'folc'. I really got hooked on the reruns of the series and began to really obsess about the show. I began to tape it at about the third run through once they changed the time slot and I couldn't watch it 'live' any more.

At this time I also formed my Lois Lane obsession within the comic books and the show. The discovery of fanfiction, at this time, only fueled the fever.

I've been on board ever since.

Tank (who rarely, if ever, watches any of the shows anymore, because he likes to see L&C in 'new' situations, but he does have them all, and the new season one DVD)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've been a FoLC since the pilot aired in 1993. <g> I just wasn't an *online* FoLC until 2001. I had no idea that you could *use* the internet like that. I thought it was for finding stuff for research papers!

I watched every single episode multiple times. Could quote bits and pieces from episodes. Yelled at the TV during the ARRRGH. Then the show went off the air. I wondered what happened to it, but out of sight, out of mind. I didn't have cable, so I didn't get reruns.

Then, a few years later, I was at a new school, in new dorms, and lo and behold, I rediscovered Lois and Clark. <G> I fell in love all over again. What was not to like? Soon I was taping everything. I learned how to program my VCR so I could tape L&C when I had to leave for school.

I was doing research for a paper when, in order to put *off* doing research, I typed "Lois and Clark" into Google. I never thought I'd find anything--boy was I wrong. I found Zoom's boards, TUFS, S5, S6, and the RR 5th season. The rest, they say, is history.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Features Writer
Features Writer
I've been an FOLC since Season 1 in 1993. The first episode I saw (which I believe is #4) was "I'm Looking Through You." I find this highly ironic because two years later I became a huge Beatles fan and that's a title of a Beatle song. wink

Back to the story...One Sunday night, I was bored and there was nothing on, so I started watching that particular episode. I was immdediately drawn to Teri and Dean's chemistry. I was 15 years old, so I also found Dean quite attractive. I never considered myself a real Superman fan until I started watching this show.

Of course after the show was over, I had to see the next episode and etc...etc...It's really weird because I was hooked right away. At the same time, I remember my parents watching the show from the "Pilot," ep. I remember walking into the room and seeing Dean on TV. I asked my mom, "Who was that?" and she said it was the new Superman tv show. I thought, no one can replace Chris Reeves! goofy

Boy, was I wrong...Dean became my favorite Superman! lol

In the end, I got extremely hooked to the show and my parents lost interest. In fact, my mom kind of rolled her eyes at my love for it.

I was so into the show that every Monday during lunch, I'd talk to any of my friends who would listen and go over EVERYTHING that happened in a particular episode and what my thoughts were about. I also saved newspaper clippings, magazine etc...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think I went throught the same Labrat's stages...It's wonderful to discover how many people love this telefilm in the same way as I do hyper

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
opss!! Almost forgot!!
The first episode I saw was the end of "Just say Noha" only because my mother told me: "Hey, look there's Superman on TV; do you remember that when you were a little girl you felt envy for him because he could fly by himself??"...

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return
Top Banana
Top Banana
One day, while visiting my parents back in the states, I walked into the room while they were watching TV. There was a man on the screen, telling a woman that he didn't really love her, with his fingers crossed behind his back. That scene captivated me. I wanted to know who these two people were, and what their story was.

Unfortunately, this was when the show was first airing on ABC (or NBC or whatever the network was). The point being, that station wasn't available where I live, so I couldn't watch the show once I got back home.

Years later, I stumbled across the re-runs on TNT (by then, I had cable). I watched, and taped, every single episode of all four seasons.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Merriwether
Merriwether
I really want to say I started watching the show during the first season. Sitting down to watch it in one of those rare times I had control of the tv in the evening. I'm also tempted to say it was actually a rerun on either a Saturday or Monday to drum up more interest, but my mind may be playing tricks on me. Since it was on at the same time as SeaQuest (I liked Jonathon Brandis, Dad liked the show in general), it was usually a tossup on what we watched.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm sure I've told this story before, but that's not going to stop me . . . wink

I noticed all the hype before Lois & Clark started airing, and rolled my eyes. I am far from a comic-book fan, and while I had watched snippets of the Superman movies on TV, I had been very unimpressed.

Besides, it was on at the same time as <I have no idea what, but some show I watched regularly at that time>.

Fast forward almost two years. I caught something on the radio about Superman/Clark proposing to Lois. Ok, I figured that was worth watching, and promptly tuned in that week . . . for what turned out to be a week early. (or two? I just checked scripts, and the first one I saw was definitely Individual Responsibility, not Whine, Whine, Whine) So . . . ok, good enough that I was definitely watching And the Answer Is ...! Which was amazing. Incredible. AND A CLIFFHANGER! mad wallbash

The good news was that over the summer I got to catch up (via reruns) on much of Season 2. smile

Season 1 I'm only getting to see now, thanks to the DVDs. (Only two episodes left -- I need the S2 discs to come out NOW!)

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I saw We Have a Lot to Talk About when I was little--probably when they were first being aired. I might have seen other ones first, but I really can't remember--too young. I do remember a clip of him lying on some scientific table thing and being exposed to kryptonite, but I couldn't tell you what ep it was from for anything. What really hooked me on L&C was seeing the Pilot (and reading the relationship history pages on redboots.net).

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
(I swear, it was a darned good thing there was only one day's wait between ATAI and WHALTTA or I might have gone insane with frustration. No idea how the rest of you coped waiting months for the conclusion to that one!)
Oh boy, Lab... can't even tell you!! goofy

Stage 5: Rush off the bus and tear up the street, throw bags and coat in a heap and rush to get the VCR on.... (At this point Stuart is informed that if I'm not there he should tape it and if he misses it He. Will. Die. Probably very messily.)
goofy

I have a clear memory of watching the pilot with that first scene of Clark getting off the bus with his ratty old suitcase and long hair. What I don't remember was why I sat down to watch it in the first place. It was quite possibly my father's fault since he was the one with whom I used to watch the old George Reeves Superman reruns.

Sadly, I don't remember much else other than fragments of shows. I don't know if I watched the show regularly during the first season. I'd guess I watched most, if not all of it, but I know it wasn't a huge deal if I missed an episode. (Can't *believe* I just said that! eek )

Now... I think I was a little more into it during the second season and even perhaps watching it more religiously. Still don't think it killed me if I missed the first five minutes or anything.

Then... there was this little episode called "And the Answer Is". That *killed* me!!! I'm pretty darned sure that if I wasn't hooked before, I was then!! I knew I *had* to tune into the season premiere to find out what the heck her answer was! And I had to wait!!! goofy

This is when the obession really started going strong. I'd needed to tape WHALTTA, then of course all the episodes that followed. I started drawing Superman shields in class. Get distracted and would calculate the exact amount of days, hours, and seconds until Sunday night at 7pm. And, of course, locating and collecting anything and everything Lois and Clark (and, yes, I admit to a slight Dean obsession, too, but it was really the show that got me first).

It wasn't too much later that we got this cool thing called the internet. The rest is... really nothing to do with this poll, but we'll just say that I still have several floppy disks full of fanfic from the days when it wasn't free to stay on the internet for hours and hours. wink

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I saw the preview ads during the summer of 1993, and was curious. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that we watched "Seaquest" at my husband's request, so we probably watched that while I taped L&C to watch later. (Which probably means that I actually had recorded that "What I Did on my Summer Vacation" feature, but that tape is long gone. wallbash )

I enjoyed it. I thought Dean was very good-looking. smile I was a big fan of the first two Superman movies, but definitely liked this new take on the myth.

But I didn't keep watching. I really don't remember why, but I'm going to blame my husband (I think we watched a few more "Seaquest" episodes) and my 1-year-old son, who was a night owl and didn't go to bed until 9pm, which sometimes made regular TV viewing a bit erratic.

I do remember seeing an ad for HoL, and being horrified at the thought of Lois marrying Lex. Yes, this incarnation of Lex was handsome and debonair and definitely attractive, but the entire idea just seemed...wrong. I don't think I watched the episode, nor any others to follow, and I just kind of forgot about the show. wallbash

Fast forward to 2001. Idle channel surfing one morning found me on TNT and at some point during Tempus Fugitive. Who was this "gorgeous" guy in glasses? Wow. And I love time travel stories. So I sat there, mesmerized, and watched the rest. laugh

I can't say that I saw every single episode after that, but I saw enough to quickly send me net-surfing for more information about the show, and I was ready with my VCR to start taping as soon as Season 1 rolled around again.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally posted by KSaraSara:
(It later came to pass that I'd *lock* my door while watching and not even open it when someone had the bad sense to knock. "But, Sara, Rebecca's on the phone."... "I don't care, she should know better than to call right now!" Yeesh! I was nice, wasn't I? :p )
That reminds me of myself. Instead of locking myself in my room (cause I didn't have a tv at the time), I'd hang up on my friends who'd call me when it was on. If one of my friends forgot and called me, I'd barely say a word cause I was mesmorized at the tv screen! Then they'd realize it was Lois & Clark time and they'd apologize profusely and call me after the show was over. laugh

I knew this show was going to mean a lot to me because I also watched ALL of the reruns each season during the summer. No other show has gotten me to do that yet and I'm not sure if any other show will ever do that.

Blogger
Blogger
Here's my L&C obsession story. I started watching with the Pilot in 1993. I was only 13, but remember that I knew I didn't want to miss any of the show. My mom, brother, and me watched every Sunday with a bowl of popcorn. It became a 4 year tradition in our house! We recorded every episode because we watched it after church, but sadly I only have a few episodes left from when they originally aired. Now I'm waiting for the rest of the seasons to come out on DVD!

Clark: I have loved you from the beginning.
Lois: And I'll love you till the end.

My 4 Year Old Cousin: "Why is Superman wearing glasses?"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tank said...

It wasn't until I discovered the reruns on TNT simultaneously with the acquisition of the internet at work, that I became a 'folc'. I really got hooked on the reruns of the series and began to really obsess about the show. I began to tape it at about the third run through
And I am ever so happy with you for this!!

notworthy notworthy notworthy hail

TEEEEEJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well my story is similar to Tanks. I started watching the show I think in 1997 on TNT. I think the by the time I saw the ep where Lois finds out Clark is Superman, that was the one when I knew I was hooked. I could not wait to see then next ep and I also started taping them.

I remember seeing commercials for the show before it aired, but I thought that it was for kids. Although I thought the guy in the Superman tights was kind of cute. I never watched the show. He should have looked familiar to me since I was a 90210 fan. He was Rick on a few eps and I remember back then thinking he was really cute and that I should remember his name. I didn't.

Back in 1996 I saw Dean at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. I had no idea who he was but I thought he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. My girlfriend and I sat a distance away and stared. I said to her, he looks familiar. Maybe he is a politician or a model. I said to her a little later that he looked a little like the guy who played Superman but better looking. She said if it is him, his name is Dean Cain. Well later on the loud speaker they said Superman is in the house. So we then knew that he was indeed the guy who played Superman.<g>

I didn't catch the show until about a year later when Tool Time had switched times and the show they put in its place I didn't like. So I changed channels and there he was; Superman Dean Cain. I though,'hey there is that gorgeous man I saw in Washington DC!' And that is how I got started.

Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I saw the pilot that is on the DVD as a two hour summer special on ABC in 1993. Then when the series started, I saw the edited pilot and the series in the order shown. I didn't realize they were out of order until I came to the boards and then found an episode guide. Since there were no titles on the broadcast episodes, I made up my own titles to recognize them by. When I get some time I'll dig out my old tapes and list the titles I used and have you all guess the episode. No time to do it now.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
I saw the pilot when it first aired, I was however about 8 or 9 and hadn't really been all that interested in the Superman story. However, I had watched the movie prior to watching Lois and Clark. Even so I did watch it on and off up until the end of Season 2 though I did watch the majority of the episodes. I'd say I was really hooked after Individual Responsibiity in Season 2. When Lois and Clark changed networks the pilot was aired again and well by then I was 13 and well seeing a shirtless Dean Cain did set the heartbeat racing! :p drool

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard