Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#235341 05/28/05 09:36 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Nan's post on CC's latest section made me wonder about this. Read the poll, and all will become clear!

Oh, and please post to say why. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#235342 05/28/05 09:47 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It depends... laugh Often I read a story without peeking ahead, but sometimes I do look at the ending. It depends on my mood, my emotional state if you will, and other things like whether I can finish the story in one session - if I know I'm going to have to take a break, I'm much more likely to eliminate the suspense. I don't do suspense well. goofy

I do find finishing the story much more satisfying if I've managed to resist the temptation to look ahead.

Incidentally, this is why I couldn't answer a recent poll about whether readers like warnings on stories - because sometimes I do want a warning and other times I don't. There wasn't an "it depends" option. smile

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
#235343 05/28/05 11:04 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
The end first. Absolutely. Every time. Tells me whether I actually need to bother spending the time reading. Sometimes just the last paragraph. Sometimes the last page. Sometimes the last chapter. Always read the end first.

(this also applies to movies and TV shows! I want spoilers every time!)

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#235344 05/28/05 11:31 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I don't want any kind of spoilers! I *hate* knowing what happens in the end or in the middle of any book/fic/movie/younameit. I want to feel the thrill of the ride - and it just isn't as good when you know what happens next.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#235345 05/28/05 12:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, perhaps it's just the type of books I read, but I always know with almost one hundred per certainty that everything will turn out all right in the end. In my experience, the vast majority of books are written this way, so to get vexed over whether or not the hero or heroine will survive happy right to the end of the book seems a bit unnecessary. If, on the rare occasion I'm wrong (although I can't think of one single book I've read where I was wrong), then so be it. Hero dies? Doesn't solve the mystery? Doesn't get the girl? I can handle it. smile

Now, of course, there are degrees of resolution and happiness, and that's what makes the journey through the book interesting and gripping - to see the ups and downs the hero and/or heroine go through, and to find out what happens to them at the end. If I knew at the outset what the exact point of arrival was going to be, then I'd feel like I was missing out on some of the suspense and intrigue which I enjoy so much.

I can think of just two instances where things don't turn out happily when I thought they would - one was a wonderfully romantic film and the other was Becky's Per Astra thingy-whatsit fic. Both times I felt horribly let down and wouldn't want to watch/read them again, but that doesn't stop me remembering them with fondness - after all, I enjoyed everything about them except the last ten minutes or so. laugh

Yvonne

#235346 05/28/05 12:05 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I couldn't have said it better, Anna. smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
#235347 05/28/05 12:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Back to the poll, am I the only one who actually keeps a postacard or something similar handy so that when I'm reading something I'm really enjoying I can cover the page on the right while I'm reading the one on the left? Really hate peeking.
Now *that's* smart. I mostly read suspense, mysteries, etc, and I just hate it when I accidentally look over at the other page and find out, oops, well they killed off so-n-so, there's goes the surprise.

/me makes a major mental note to try that!

Anywho, I'm anti-spoiler. I love it when stories punch me in the gut be it surprise villians, character deaths...if I can't figure out what's going to happen, it means you're really good at writing.

Hero dies? Doesn't solve the mystery? Doesn't get the girl? I can handle it.
A big ditto, although I can think of one time where James Patterson killed off one of my favorite characters. I'm still kind of peeved about it to this day lol, but...it was still an outstanding book.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#235348 05/28/05 01:11 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Back to the poll, am I the only one who actually keeps a postacard or something similar handy so that when I'm reading something I'm really enjoying I can cover the page on the right while I'm reading the one on the left?
Now, that's a good idea...

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

#235349 05/28/05 04:37 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I hate having the ending spoiled. And every time I pick up a book, I tell myself that. But then things get a little... uncertain and I tell myself: 'I will not look at the ending. I will not look at the ending. I will not look at the ending. Okay, well maybe just a little peek - what could it hurt? laugh '

So I might tell myself that I hate to be spoiled, but I can't stand not knowing if I get really involved in the plot.

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#235350 05/28/05 04:39 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Back to the poll, am I the only one who actually keeps a postacard or something similar handy so that when I'm reading something I'm really enjoying I can cover the page on the right while I'm reading the one on the left? Really hate peeking. [Roll Eyes]
LOL, El. I don't do this, but I probably should, considering the number of times I've had to work very hard to keep from even glancing at the next page. Usually when the excitement in the plot is so engrossing I have to stop myself racing desperately ahead to find out what happens next. I have occasionally read the left hand page with my hand over the right though. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#235351 05/28/05 05:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This brings up an interesting question. Do you end- readers-first enjoy stories posted here in sections on the board or do you have to wait for the Archive? (or the the story to be done posting)? I absolutely never read the end first. I want to enjoy the ride. Conversely, I do appreciate Tank Warnings.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#235352 05/28/05 06:53 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Read the end first?! Are you crazy?! razz

I can't say that I haven't ever spoiled myself, but I don't like doing it. frown For instance... I printed out The Late Great Lois Lane for trip reading last year. Friends had told me, "OMG! You're going to die of shock when you find out who the villain is!!" I was so excited about this! Then, in a moment of sheer stupidity... I'd placed the stack of papers face down... and that little end note just jumped up at me! razz Though, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the story. smile I was still even a bit shocked when I got to that surprising part. blush

Mystery/suspense novels... I love trying to figure things out from the clues as I go along. I get to feel smart when I find I was right. wink OTOH... not so great to feel dumb when you got it wrong, but that just means it's good writing. laugh

Romance-type novels (I read the "chick lit" type novels as opposed to the true "romance" novels)... You know with certainty that the two main characters are going to get together at the end, but the whole fun of it is in the journey! smile

Sara goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#235353 05/28/05 08:39 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I usually try not to spoil books for myself (or fanfics, for that matter). However, if I feel really emotionally attached to a character-- especially in a sequel (or a fanfic) where I've already fallen in love with the characters-- and I have a sinking suspicion they're going to die, I will look at the end just so I can have time to get used to the idea <g>.

I can live with suspense (although admittedly I don't read that much of it), mysteries, etc. without being tempted to cheat. It's only when I expect an emotional battering when I look ahead.

And btw, Sara, that included your Wherever You Will Go. Had to check the end of that one wink

Kaylle

#235354 05/29/05 03:06 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I usually don't read the end first. However, if I find that I really don't like the way a story line seems to be progressing I will peak at the ending. If I don't like the ending I usually quit reading. Now the only endings I hate are where the hero and/or his girl die. Then yeah I quit reading. Has only happened a couple of times.

As for not reading a story until it is finished that's me. Not because I want to be able to peak but because I have started way to many stories that are never finished. The last one I started and hasn't been finished is "Disguise Failed." I made the decision at that time to wait until a story is finished. I just don't have the time to spend on stories that aren't finished or have long times between postings. I like to read one story at a time or one book at a time. To get engrossed in a story and enjoy it and then move on to the next. Not have to keep going back and rereading stories just so I can't keep them straight if I'm reading several and the postings are weeks apart. I enjoy them much more if I read one at a time which dictates they be finished.

Now I know their have been triologies etc. That is okay. I still can reading one story at a time that comes to a conclusion. Then read the next installment when it is finished.

#235355 05/29/05 01:21 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I never take a peek. I love suspense novels and I always hope I'll be pleasantly surprised at the end. I love it when I think the butler's the one 'whodunit' and it turns out to be the vicar! razz

I've been around in this fandom for a few years so I now have a pretty good idea whose fics I can read in installments. smile

Like Kmar, I don't want to spend time reading fics that are never finished. So I only read short stories in the fanfic folder or fics by authors I know will be completed as promised. I know - the fanfic folder isn't just for posting completed stories. These are often WIPs. Authors can leave them dangling on their hard disk till their Muses decides to help them finish them, or they can post the parts they have and risk geting stuck - permanently. eek

Maybe it doesn't bother other fanfic authors, but if it happened to me I'd be horrified and so embarrassed! blush

Hey, maybe that's something for another poll! laugh

Oh, and by the way - fics by unknown authors I check out in the Archive. And yes, then I do take a peek at the end first! Just to check if our heroes are happy and safe and sound - and together. Just the way I want them to be. wink

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#235356 05/31/05 03:06 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I'm one of those people who tries to stay away from spoilers so I don't ruin the surprises and twists, but fails dismally almost every time. I often give in to temptation and either read ahead or skim so fast to try and find out the ending that I miss key details during the story. I find I have to actually read most things twice or three times to truly appreciate them because in the race to find out whodunnit, or what's going to happen, I just end up missing so many things. I recently reread one of my recent favorite book series and was finding myself going, "WHAT?! When did *THAT* happen?" more than once.

My style of reading has been cultivated so much that I can usually glance at a page for about 10-20 seconds and get the 'gist' and move on, which is very bad when you want to sit back and just enjoy every word. But it's gotten to the point where I just can't help it sometimes. I'll start out reading word for word and then boom, I shoot several pages ahead before I stop myself.

As far as the boards go, however, I want new material so badly I usually will read things part by part, unfinished or no smile

And as far as what types of endings I find acceptable... If it's written well enough, I can usually find myself agreeing with just about anything, from standard happily ever afters, to Romeo and Juliet Take Four, to whoops the world got blown up. If I'm in a specific need to feel good mood, though, I try to avoid the latter two smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#235357 05/31/05 04:50 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
In general I don't peak ahead to see what happens. Sometimes I do start a story mid way while it's being posted on the board and then go back and read the beginning. I don't mind spoilers, it doesn't ruin the story for me but I also like being surprised.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#235358 05/31/05 06:06 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like waiting for the end to see if I can figure it out first. That's all.

TEEEEEEJ

#235359 06/01/05 01:23 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Most of the time I prefer to be surprised, when it comes to stories. With movies the suspense is made so much greater by the background music, etc., and I usually end up leaving the room (videos at home) till the suspenseful scene is over and I know what happened, lol. But with books, there's only been a couple where I read ahead. If I'm not sure if the ending will be happy, or I know someone's going to die but I want to be prepared for it ahead of time, I might check the ending to know. It's not as much fun reading then, but in those circumstances, I really didn't want to be unpleasantly surprised by the shock. There's only been a few times where I wish I would have known the ending first, so I'm usually fine.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#235360 06/01/05 01:41 PM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I hate being spoiled. razz If it's a book I'm adoring, I'll actually slow down reading in order to make it last longer. wink And, though I've never gone quite so far as El, goofy I will occasionally make strenuous efforts not to look at the facing page during a crucial scene. I don't want to know who the villain is, who the heroine ends up with, whether someone dies or anything like that... until it happens.

So, with fanfic, I have no problem at all reading works in progress... as long as there isn't too long a delay between posts and I'm pretty sure the author will finish it. After all, what with Single White Kryptonian, Better Part of Valour and What's Love Got To Do With It buried in the graveyard of unfinished fics, you gotta be careful. goofy

Thanks for all the responses, guys; it's been fun reading them! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#235361 06/02/05 05:55 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Lol, since it was my post that seems to have started this poll, I suppose I'm obligated to explain my position.

It's odd, but I have very little tolerance for suspense -- especially when I write suspense all the time. It's a little different when I'm writing it, because I know what's going to happen.

I used to have more tolerance for suspense, but not much. What killed what little I had were a few books where I had really gotten to like the characters and then they ended badly. That did it.

At 57, I feel like I've done enough of the tragedy thing. I've had plenty of bad things happen in real life, and I read, watch television, or go to movies for escape. If it's going to end badly, I want to know so I can avoid that particular story/production/whatever. If I want to feel bad all I have to do is talk to my sis about my mother's Alzheimers or watch the news, or something. I don't need to go looking for it.

I don't read the details of the stories, because I want to see how everything evolves. That's part of enjoying the story, but at the same time I know I'll enjoy all the problems the characters endure much more if I know it's going to turn out all right in the end.

And that's the whole explanation.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#235362 06/02/05 08:10 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm an it depends kind of person.

I hate myself when I do peek to see what happens at the end of a book, but I still do it from time to time. Oddly, this seems to have something to do with how *un*suspenseful I'm finding a story. I'm more likely to peek if my attention is wandering.

If I do peek, it is usually only at the last paragraph or, at the most, page. Enough to get a glimpse of what might happen. Not usually enough to completely ruin the ending.

With a fantastic, wonderful, everything that is brilliant kind of a story, I won't look. The more engaging and the more suspenseful I find a book, the less likely I am to peek.

Does that make sense?

Chris

#235363 06/02/05 03:17 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm just like Nan, and for pretty much the same reasons, too. Monday, I read a story on the archive (I won't say whose story for fear of spoiling people who don't want to be), and partway into it, I had to jump to the end, just to make sure one of the characters survived to the end of the story.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#235364 06/02/05 04:24 PM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
See, it surprises me that you'd feel the need to check for that reason in this fandom, Sheila. After all, it's not as if deathfics are common here. goofy I think I could probably count on the fingers of two hands the number of deathfics on the Archive. Maybe three. wink

One reason is probably that, like you, we authors are all pretty attached to the characters and like to see them get together/end up together/be happy together. goofy

A few of the deathfics I've read have been obviously written by teenagers - cloyingly sentimental stories in which Lois is killed in a traffic accident/in childbirth/of a mysterious illness and Clark mourns her bitterly, cradling their child to his bosom/vowing never to love another/dying/killing himself from grief. Some of those smack suspiciously of Mary Sue-ism. A couple are poignantly sad, and one is even almost WAFFy, in a way: Jennifer Eagan-Dixon's When Magnolias Bloom.

Actually, as long as I've been a GE it's been Archive policy that deathfics should be marked as such, so that readers don't stumble on a principal-character death unexpectedly. So you shouldn't have to worry about encountering that accidentally anyway, Sheila.

And now all this has put me in mind of another poll... wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#235365 06/23/05 12:07 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can think of just two instances where things don't turn out happily when I thought they would - one was a wonderfully romantic film and the other was Becky's Per Astra thingy-whatsit fic. Both times I felt horribly let down and wouldn't want to watch/read them again
Ad Astra Per Aspera is one of my all-time favorite fics. But it's clear that I'm in the minority there . . . and that authors are discouraged, FDK-wise, from posting that sort of story these days. *sigh*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#235366 06/23/05 12:13 PM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Ditto Rivka smile

AnnaBtG.

#235367 06/23/05 08:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
But it's clear that I'm in the minority there
Well, then I'm right in there with you! I loved that story. It broke my heart, but I thought it was wonderfully written, and I really enjoyed it.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#235368 06/23/05 10:23 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, then I'm right in there with you! I loved that story. It broke my heart, but I thought it was wonderfully written, and I really enjoyed it.
Exactly! I'm fine with stories that break my heart -- as long as they do it properly! wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard