Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#235152 05/10/05 08:55 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I actually think that's part of the problem with fanfic right now - people have gotten away from the show.
Ah! But isn't that the whole point of fanfic? To explore new territory that wasn't part of the series?

I appreciate your point on characteraztion needing to come from the show. (That's what Lynn was trying to prove, imo, from this poll - see how well we know L&C characterization from the show). But also realize that as we put out favorite characters in new and different situations that we don't have characterization canon for, we need to have a rationalization for how they act and react. For that, we can only speculate and make our best guesses on how they would handle things from what we *do* know of the show. Expand upon that characterization that we do know.

So is fanfic a gross manipulation of characterization (not trying to put words in your mouth wink )? Yup! That's exactly what it is! But we do the best we can from the foundation we were given. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#235153 05/10/05 09:41 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Oops... thought of something else. blush

One author may (unintentionally) take a certain characteristic of Lois or Clark and simplify it when they use it in a story. An author who reads the story may like the premise and use it in their own fic, but may in the process simplify or stereotype it further, such that you end up having a "defining characteristic" of one of the characters that was never really mentioned in the show (or was maybe mentioned briefly) and was mostly the invention of fic writers. When this happens enough times, the characters seem to become caricatures or stereotypes, even though they're "in cannon" in the fic universe.
I'd like to think that what we all consider characterization canon is something not so static. It grows and evolves with every fic we write as a fandom. If author number two agrees with author number one's characterization, why not use it? And if it gets used repeatedly because most everyone agrees with it, that makes it part of what we all consider canon, right? Yes, there are some stories that are grossly out of character and not rationalized, but on the whole, I'd like to think that fanfic authors have created not so much a new canon for characterization, but one that is enhanced from what we were given.

For example, we never saw Clark cry on the show, so we can assume that to be part of the "original" canon - that Clark does not cry. Now, many fanfic authors have brought Clark to tears (and believably so). Does this mean any stories in which Clark cries are out of character? Not really, IMO. Who's to say that Clark wouldn't have cried in season 5? Or that during the parts of the show we didn't see (in between episodes and scenes) he didn't break down and cry, or at least weep? Regardless, it's become a part of the evolved canon.

If we're expanding the L&C universe, why not the characterization too?

Sara (who thinks she's really done now goofy )

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

#235154 05/10/05 11:29 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Let me start off by saying that your opening statement is curious, Lynn, and seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
That's your view, Cindy, and you're welcome to it. Personally, I thought it was a good introduction. It established the mood and purpose of the poll, which, to me, is largely a question of how much our individual interpretations of the characters are in alignment.

Furthermore, I don't think any of the theories mentioned in that opening paragraph were intended to be advanced as the single correct answer to the rhetorical question "Who is qualified to judge whether or not something is in character?"

"Someone who has read a lot of fic" is a possible answer, but only one among many. It's not one I'd agree with, either.

Then again, whether you'd seen all 88 episodes or only the first 44 wouldn't really matter if you were talking about a situation that takes place before Season 3.

Furthermore, you can't point to the series as the ultimate answer. Not only are there plenty of situations and possibilities which were never covered in the series (which is what makes fic possible in the first place), but individual episodes were written by entirely different people. I don't think many people would disagree with me if I said that Lois, Clark, Perry, Martha, and Jonathan were all acting at least somewhat out of character in "Chi of Steel." It's a real episode. It's in canon. Despite that, however, it's still fairly clear that those characters were behaving in ways which conflict with their established personalities.

By posting the poll, it seems that the answer automatically becomes characterization by committee.
I don't see that the poll is offering an answer to the question at all. To me, it's not a question of finding a right answer, but rather a way for me to gauge how closely my understanding of Clark's character lines up with the understanding of the fandom at large. If the majority thinks differently than I do, does that mean I'm wrong? No. Is it something I should take into consideration? Probably.

That being said, on to the questions. A lot of these needed a "none of the above" choice.
I agree with you that there were times when, given the choice, I would have picked something that wasn't on the list. As I mentioned in that thread, that happened to me more on the Lois quiz than on this one. (For example, on the first question, there was no option saying that she would return the dress, which is what I finally concluded she'd have done.) The thing is that there are only a finite number of options one can include given this format. Lynn did the best she could to provide good options without including an overwhelming number of choices. Sometimes, that meant that she left out what I or somebody else considered the best option. Maybe she didn't even think of that possibility. Nobody's perfect, and you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I don't think the solution to that is to include an "other" or a "none of the above." As others have stated, doing so is detrimental to the effectiveness of the poll. If there had been an "other" option available, anyone with his or her own idea would have picked that, along with anyone who wanted to choose more than one answer. We'd have been left with the majority choosing "other" on far too many questions, each meaning something else entirely.

A lot of these things I don't see as "Characterization", in that they are topics that aren't addressed on the shows, therefore there is no way to believe that the answer should be one of the ones given or something else entirely.
That's exactly the point, Cindy. The poll was intended to cover situations and aspects which hadn't come up on the show. If it had been constructed otherwise, it wouldn't have been a question of characterization, but rather of trivia knowledge.

Nor was the idea to show a definitive right answer. In fact, Lynn said more than once that she didn't believe there was a definitive right answer.

Actually, looking back on Lynn's introduction, I could just as easily have shortened this entire post by just telling you to go back and read the rest of what she had to say after the paragraph you quoted.

Lynn stated up front that:

• She had intentionally chosen questions about aspects and situations which were not directly addressed on the show.
  • We were to choose our answers based on the show's canon. (In other words, not to allow fic to sway our judgement.)
  • There were no right or wrong answers.
  • No one but Clark himself has ultimate authority to say what he would or would not do.
  • There was a real possibility that we would all choose such different answers that the poll would tell us nothing more than that we each have our own interpretations and that none of us is right.
  • She did not include an "Other" option because she didn't want to open the question up to that many possibilities. (Since that would defeat the purpose of the poll.)
  • Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree.

I thought the God question was the most interesting, and I've addressed it in my fics. I'm not a religious person, but I really don't know how Clark could do what he does without the belief in some sort of higher power. When things don't always go as planned, there has to be some comfort in knowing that maybe it happened for some higher purpose. You don't have to be a regular church-goer or religious zealot to have the basic belief that there is a purpose in everything that happens. But that's just my belief.
To me, this is a lot closer to what the poll is all about. The question was "Does Clark believe in God?" There was no answer to that given on the show. You thought about it, about who Clark is, what he does, and what drives him to do that. You concluded that, for his actions to make sense to you, he would have to believe in a higher power.

I chose "yes" to that question for a very different reason. I think it's entirely possible to do what Clark does without needing a higher power for guidance or emotional support. That's because I believe in secular humanism, which includes the belief that human beings (and, presumably, Kryptonians) are capable of doing good for its own sake.

My reason for choosing "yes" to that question was more one of background. From what I know of the US in general and the Midwest in specific, someone born and raised in Kansas is more likely to believe in God than not. It also seems to me that Clark's hopeful and optimistic personality is one that lends itself to some sort of belief.

I think it's interesting to know that, even though we have different views on quite a few things, we came to the same answer on this question, even without any evidence from the show itself. I think it's also interesting that we have such different reasons for choosing that answer.

I also think it's very interesting to see in general how my answers matched up against the majority and also which questions and areas are clearest and which are the most contested. Now I know that (based on a sample of 56, which is a good number for a fandom this size) about 3/4 of FoLCs think that Clark believes in some sort of God, but that we're split 50/50 over whether or not he'd have sex with his wife during business hours.

I also think it's very gratifying to know that my understanding of the character matches up so well with the general fandom's. For the most part, we've chosen the same answers, and on most of the questions when I was torn between two possible answers, it seems that the fandom is similarly split.

To me, this was a very interesting exercise, and I learned a lot. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#235155 05/11/05 01:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Seems to me that one of the benefits of the poll was to find out to what extent fans agree in their understanding of Clark's character.

Of course, as Cindy says, the series itself is the source of all knowledge, but as can be plainly seen from the numerous discussions on characterisation and events from the episodes, fans' interpretation of this information can differ wildly. For example, I remember a long discussion on whether we could see Lois and Clark sinking to the floor behind a floaty curtain at the end of one of the eps, and whether or not we were therefore meant to assume that they slept together - during the Krypton arc, I think. Now, we all watched the same images on the screen. But some of us didn't even notice the vague movement hinting that they'd slid down to the floor (ie, me <g>). Some of us saw the movement and thought nothing of it. And some of us went the whole way and thought they'd slept together - and were utterly surprised that the rest of us didn't think the same.

Now, the above example isn't an issue of characterisation, but I still think it's fair to use it as an illustration of how different fans will take the same information and interpret it in quite different ways. Who can say who was right and who was wrong in the above example? No-one but the series production team.

A lot of these things I don't see as "Characterization", in that they are topics that aren't addressed on the shows, therefore there is no way to believe that the answer should be one of the ones given or something else entirely.
So you're saying that if Clark is put into a situation which tests an aspect of his character not addressed in the show, then no-one can predict authoritatively what he may or may not do? Or is that twisting your words unfairly?

Yvonne

#235156 05/11/05 04:14 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was mentally preparing a reply post, then Sara and Paul and Yvonne very eloquently put into words my exact thoughts.

But I do want to weigh in on the following:

Let me start off by saying that your opening statement is curious, Lynn, and seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
The impetus for me to create this poll in the first place was some frustrations I had been feeling over claims that people who write fanfic that deviates from the parameters of the show (and I'm not talking about OOC but rather premises that deviate from what we saw in the show) are not true LnC fans, but rather hybrid fans who use their interest in other incarnations of Superman to...for lack of a better word...infect their stories.

I so strongly disagree with this assertion that it lead me to wonder why it is that some people feel they are better qualified to judge characterisations and appropriate premises than others, to know when a certain story depicts a "Smallville" Clark or a "Christopher Reeves Movie" Clark versus simply an LnC: TNAOS Clark who's been thrown into unsual circumstances. I personally consider everyone who frequents these MBs true LnC: TNAOS fans, all of us experts, and all of us qualified to offer an opinion.

Thus the birth of this poll - to demonstrate how all of us in this little corner of the fandom bring to the table a wide variety of experiences that lead us to assume different things about the characters, despite the fact that we all watched the exact same 88 episodes. And just because we differ in our answers about what Lois or Clark might do in a given situation doesn't make any one person less of a fan of LnC: TNAOS.

Like Paul said, my question as to what it takes to be an "expert" on LnC: TNAOS was purely rhetorical. I don't know the answer to that. Cindy summed up my own feelings on the correct answer perfectly:

The only qualification to write them is to know the subject matter and to care about the characters and what happens to them.
The way this poll was constructed was to push everyone out of the comfort zone. If I had asked questions such as "What would Lois do if Lex proposed to her?", we all know the answer or we could all run to our taped copy of BaTP to find out. This poll wasn't set up to confirm things we all saw on the show but rather to see how we would take what we learned about these people on the show and apply it to new situations. Because fanfic is not a rehashing of the show but rather an effort to pull the characters out of the show and put them into new situations. Or at the very least, fanfic twists the circumstances that were presented in a given episode so that the outcome is no longer certain or the road taken to the same end is different.

And since fanfic goes beyond what we were shown in the show, we have to make guesses about what the characters would do, just as this poll asked you to do.

In direct response to Cindy's concern about specific questions:

If Superman couldn't rescue a bus full of senior citizens, I can see him escaping to some remote corner of the world to work out his frustrations. Then maybe get mopey when he gets home and dwell on what happened.
The question doesn't ask "What does he do immediately." It asks what he does when he gets home. Could be that he spends a few hours or days on a remote cliff somewhere, beating himself up for his failings. But when he finally returns home...

The Lois Lane relationship question seemed bogus. Definately none of the above.
Why is it bogus? Or why is it any more bogus than any hypothetical question? All of these questions are bogus. Every question in every quiz in every magazine or on every website is bogus, right?

Superpowers: where's invulnerability? That would be my (personal) choice.
I am sorry for some dumb mistakes I made in answer choices - especially the questions about superpowers - because I had honestly forgotten a few of them. That was just a bone-head move on my part. blush

In the end, this poll did exactly what I'd hoped it would do. It shows that we all have different ideas, and while we all would agree that certain actions can be judged out of character (Clark killing someone - even Hitler), some areas are just too gray for any one action to be claimed the only "in-character" action.

In the end, I believe in Lab's philosophy that any character can do pretty much anything given the proper motivation. IMO, the mark of an excellent story is how well the writer presented that motivation so that when the character does act in a way counter to what I'd expect that I not only understand why he or she did it but see his or her actions as perfectly natural given the situation.

I already know how Lois would react if Lex proposed to her. I want to know how Lois would react if Lex kidnapped her and held her prisoner in fortress buried in the Swiss Alps... smile

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#235157 05/11/05 06:19 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL--well, we know how ONE fanfic writer thinks she would respond. *thinks it's about time to reread the awesome Masques*

This was a very neat poll--made for some interesting discussion, I can see. Unfortunately, I don't have time to add my own two bits, really, but most people summed up what I would have said already anyhow. Thanks for creating it, Lynn!

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#235158 05/11/05 08:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well I thought this was a fun poll! It was interesting to see what got the majority of votes with the exception of 2 I was in the majority. It is interesting how we all see certain aspects of Clark very clrarly. Now do one for Lois! Thank you! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#235159 05/11/05 08:36 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There already is one for Lois, Laura. You'll find it here

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#235160 05/11/05 03:54 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Responding to some responses given....

I'd like to start out by saying that it's my own personal belief that the point of fanfic is not to *change* the show or try to make it into what we wish it were, but to supplement the show, to expand on the things that we were presented with. Sometime we play "what-if" with certain things (like revelations), but again, it's done within the framework of the show - what if this had happened just a little bit different at this point, et cetra.

To that end, it is also my belief that some things should be taken as absolutes (or "canon"). These include most of the basic, global concepts presented on the show, the core of which is how the characters are presented. That's why I have to disagree with the following statement:
I'd like to think that what we all consider characterization canon is something not so static. It grows and evolves with every fic we write as a fandom. If author number two agrees with author number one's characterization, why not use it? And if it gets used repeatedly because most everyone agrees with it, that makes it part of what we all consider canon, right?
When that happens, you're no longer writing fanfic about the show, you're writing fanfic about other fanfic. It's like making a copy of a copy on an old Xerox machine - The lines become blurred and eventually you can't even make out the original anymore. Just because everyone seems to like a concept and it appears repeatedly in fanfic doesn't make it "in canon", it just makes it popular. It also makes for boring fic.

I freely admit that there is plenty of gray area as far as the characterization of Clark and Lois go. Plenty of issues were not addressed on the show, and if a fanfic writer wants to tread down a new path to see what the characters would do, fine. But at the same time, there are plenty of areas that WERE covered, and thoroughly at that. There's no excuse for taking a characteristic that was well defined on the show and completely changing it to make the characters react in a way they wouldn't normally in order to try and beat the characters to fit whatever plot you've conceived.

I so strongly disagree with this assertion that it lead me to wonder why it is that some people feel they are better qualified to judge characterisations and appropriate premises than others, to know when a certain story depicts a "Smallville" Clark or a "Christopher Reeves Movie" Clark versus simply an LnC: TNAOS Clark who's been thrown into unsual circumstances.
It shows a lack of understanding of the character if you are unable to define the differences between Clark as presented in LnC, Smallville, and the movies. There are such fundamental differences between the three that it's hard to know where to begin. If one has to stretch the character so far to fit their story that the lines between the three are blurred, than it's probably a good bet that Clark won't be considered in character by a good number of people.

...you can't point to the series as the ultimate answer. Not only are there plenty of situations and possibilities which were never covered in the series (which is what makes fic possible in the first place), but individual episodes were written by entirely different people.
And? A skyscraper is built by a whole lot of people, but ultimately it comes together as one building. Different authors contributed different things to their episodes, but that's what gives the series more depth and more flavor. Ultimately, the show is a body of work, and it is the rock that a fanfic should ideally be centered around.

On the poll:
I don't see that the poll is offering an answer to the question at all. To me, it's not a question of finding a right answer, but rather a way for me to gauge how closely my understanding of Clark's character lines up with the understanding of the fandom at large. If the majority thinks differently than I do, does that mean I'm wrong? No. Is it something I should take into consideration? Probably.
Well, you just proved my point. If the information from the results of the poll influence how you approach the character, then the group has asserted its will upon you. Thus, characterization by committee.

I don't think the solution to that is to include an "other" or a "none of the above." As others have stated, doing so is detrimental to the effectiveness of the poll. If there had been an "other" option available, anyone with his or her own idea would have picked that, along with anyone who wanted to choose more than one answer. We'd have been left with the majority choosing "other" on far too many questions, each meaning something else entirely.
My point is that characterization can't be limited to a small set of (generally unsatifactory or overly simplstic) choices, and trying to make people choose from a list of answers they don't agree with doesn't accomplish anything. It would be interesting to see how many people would vote "other" to some of those questions, and what people would give as an explanation after the fact. That would probably say more about how characterization is approached. Even just generating a list of questions and letting it be discussed in the absence of a poll would work.

In the end, I believe in Lab's philosophy that any character can do pretty much anything given the proper motivation.
That's where we differ, I guess.

AnnN.

To thine own self be true.
#235161 05/11/05 04:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
While I agree with Cindy that it's absolutely necessary to return to the episodes if we want to consider ourselves able to write in character, I think that the points others are making are also very valid. We don't know how Lois or Clark would react in all situations, because the series didn't consider all situations.

Consider this: are there any scenarios in which Clark would walk out on his (happy) marriage to Lois? Abandon Superman? Divorce Lois and move to another country, eventually starting a new relationship? Well, try Demi's Heaven's Prisoners, in which Clark does exactly that after failing to save Martha and Jonathan. Wonderful story. Very convincing premise.

How about Clark lying to Lois and deceiving her so that he can carry on a sexual relationship with her? One that he would not have if he was honest? I'm not talking here about sleeping with her without telling her that he's Superman (there are several stories where he does that), but deceiving her about something even more fundamental... that he's not her husband. Well, in a classic story, Zoomway's Counter-ClarkWise, he does just that. And it's believable.

Clark doesn't kill? Yeah, I'd go along with that. But has anyone read Raconteur's amazing Burden of Conscience? She convinced me that he could commit a deliberate act of murder, in self-defence.

So I will (almost) never say that it's simply not possible for a character to do X or Y - I'll go by the circumstances of the story and the motivation given by the author for the character's actions.

Wendy smile (who recently went on a binge and watches several episodes prior to writing a few short stories wink )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#235162 05/11/05 05:09 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I'd like to start out by saying that it's my own personal belief that the point of fanfic is not to *change* the show or try to make it into what we wish it were, but to supplement the show, to expand on the things that we were presented with.
I have to disagree on this point. I know I wrote my first fanfic to *change* what I thought was *wrong* with the show. I despised Family Hour -- I thought that it was an inappropriate ending to a wonderful show. I think that is why a lot of people do episode rewrites. As authors, we have the ability to write what we deem as more appropriate endings to episodes. Actually, this would make an interesting poll. I wonder how many people think fanfic can not change the show into what we want it to be vs. who thinks fanfic's main purpose is to change the show into something we like better while still keeping the characters within the parameters of characterization we saw on the show.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#235163 05/11/05 05:59 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
When that happens, you're no longer writing fanfic about the show, you're writing fanfic about other fanfic. It's like making a copy of a copy on an old Xerox machine - The lines become blurred and eventually you can't even make out the original anymore. Just because everyone seems to like a concept and it appears repeatedly in fanfic doesn't make it "in canon", it just makes it popular. It also makes for boring fic.
Ah... but you see, Cindy, I'd say exactly what you said, but about what you describe as "fanfic about the show." The more times we see the same situations from the show (or close to it), the more it gets old and frankly sometimes boring.

In Textual Poachers (a highly respected book on the subject of fan fiction), Henry Jenkins said: "Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."

Couldn't have said it better myself, though I think he made a typo... should be "FoLC". goofy

IMO, fanfic is essentially writers taking the *characters* from the show they like and putting them in new and different situations or putting them in the same situations so that we can fix what we thought was wrong. If we didn't have new and different situations, it *would* be boring, not to mention there'd be no real point in writing fanfic in the first place.

The Xerox example you give is great! Take TOGOM for instance. That single episode has been run through the Xerox machine hundreds of times for re-writes and extensions. The original is still discernable: Lois and Clark, Clark gets shot by Clyde Barrow, angst ensues. And it's that blurring of the lines that makes each story different - *not* boring.

As far as writing fanfic about fanfic...

The point I was trying to make about expanding our idea of canon (or "fanfic canon" if you must wink ) is not that the same ideas for stories are copied over and over again, but that the characterization is mimicked. This, IMO still falls within the definition of fanfic. We simply use the characters we know and love (with a healthy dose of believable characterization) and away we go!

Though you say:

There's no excuse for taking a characteristic that was well defined on the show and completely changing it to make the characters react in a way they wouldn't normally in order to try and beat the characters to fit whatever plot you've conceived.
I can't say I agree with that, especially the part about beating the characters to fit. There's a story I remember (even got a Kerth nom this year!) in which we met Lois and Clark as college students, both alone and a little unsure of themselves... living in different states. Clark has a life changing epiphany and ends up becoming Superman while he was still in college. This is far outside what I consider to be the realm of show canon, but it worked for me and I didn't find that the author had to beat the characters to fit the new and original plot. I really loved "Bolt, From Dubuque." In the same respect, Kevin was not a part of the show. You created an original character, not of Lois and Clark and not of anyone's previous work. Granted, the idea of power transference was from the show, but Kevin was not. Does all this mean that this really isn't fanfic? Or that it's boring fanfic? IMO, I didn't find it boring at all, and I'd certainly classify it as fanfic.

Well, you just proved my point. If the information from the results of the poll influence how you approach the character, then the group has asserted its will upon you. Thus, characterization by committee.
Not necessarily. No one said that the poll results were fast and hard rules of what everyone needed to abide by when considering characterization when writing fanfic. But as Paul said, it's something to take into consideration if your answers don't match up with the results of the poll. That doesn't mean that you can't stray from what the results were.

Sara smile

#235164 05/11/05 09:27 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Good grief, I can't believe I'm still up <g>. I hate end-of-term...

I did want to respond here, though, to some of the things that have been said.

And? A skyscraper is built by a whole lot of people, but ultimately it comes together as one building.
I don't think that example really works. A skyscraper is built by a lot of people, yes, but all of them are following the very precise plans of an architect somewhere. They're not improvising details here and there or coming up with their own variations. If they were, I don't think the building would stand for very long wink . IMHO, the same is true of any collaborative work, from construction to music to computer engineering. Programs fail because one programmer used feet and another used meters. When a bunch of people are working together on something and aren't following strict guidelines, you're bound to have a few inconsistencies here and there.

So that said, doesn't each viewer cull through the episodes s/he's seen and select out what s/he feels is "right?"

The other problem with working only with what TPTB give us is that TPTB aren't always interested in doing what's "right" for the show or the characters. They're inhibited by a slew of other factors: Are they attracting the right demographic? Will their contract be renewed? Do the actors want out? If the long-denied romance is resolved, will the show be cancelled (aka the Moonlighting Curse)? And if so, what artificial means can they contrive to keep them apart, no matter how stupid?

I mean, look at the X-Files. For eight or nine years, TPTB strung the fans along with Mulder and Scully's will-they-won't-they dance. They dangled hints of "the truth" that was out there, but never let viewers put the pieces together. Ultimately a lot of people got sick of being led around by the nose and stopped watching. When TPTB finally started giving the viewers what they wanted, it was too little too late. I imagine a lot of L&C fans felt the same way about the clone wedding arc. I remember seeing the finale of season 3; after clones, fake weddings, amnesia, etc, L&C still weren't married and Clark was leaving for New Krypton. I remember thinking (and please don't hate me, guys, I did come back to the fold wink ) that at the rate they were going, I didn't care if the show came back for the fourth season or not. I'd had it with the runaround.

So do I think L&C act out of character sometimes? Yes. Do I think TPTB care? Not always, no. As Sara said, they're a corporation. They don't want nearly the same things we do. So I don't feel particularly bound to play by their rules. We're not making any money here; we write what we want to write.

Now, I'm not advocating that people twist the characters into something unrecognizable, slap them into a plot, and call it L&C. But every writer has to make choices about what to accept and what to ignore. In my opinion, what's important is that the writer stay true to the spirit of the show and the characters, but you can't be exactly right all the time. The show simply didn't provide that many answers. And if we did know how Lois/Clark would react in every situation imaginable, well, fanfic would become rather predictable, wouldn't it?

My point is that characterization can't be limited to a small set of (generally unsatifactory or overly simplstic) choices, and trying to make people choose from a list of answers they don't agree with doesn't accomplish anything.
I mentioned this in the Lois Quiz thread too, but I'll say it again. I think the difficulty of the choices and the absence of a "None of the above" option were kind of the point of the quiz.
"If the "obvious" choice were listed, we'd all pick that and learn nothing from the experience. Sure, when given two unpleasant options, Lois will try to find something else. But if the quiz said "Which would Lois do? a) Crappy Option 1; b) Crappy Option 2; c) Less Crappy Option 3" we'd all pick c and that wouldn't be nearly so interesting wink
And if there were a none of the above/other option, the answers would diverge all over the place and we'd never find any sort of common ground. If, as I assume, the point of the poll was to see how other people felt about the characters, seeing a bunch of "none of the above" answers in a spreadsheet doesn't tell you much.

And I don't think anyone was trying to make anyone do anything. If people disagree with the poll, they're free not to take it. And if they disagree with the results, they're free to ignore those too. For some of us, this was a fun and enlightening exercise. If you found it troubling, maybe just take it with a grain of salt and don't worry about it.

Kaylle
(finally off to bed!)

#235165 05/11/05 11:01 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I was going to stir my brain into my own thoughts on this debate - but fortunately Kaylle got here before me and pretty much nailed what was on my mind. And so eloquently too. <g>

My brain thanks you, Kaylle! laugh

So...what she said. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#235166 05/12/05 02:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I'll say this, Cindy -- it's never dull with you around! goofy It's been a fascinating discussion.

it's my own personal belief that the point of fanfic is not to *change* the show or try to make it into what we wish it were
See, this is where we disagree completely -- I think the main point of fanfic is to *fix* the stupid stuff on screen, and make it better. The producers were limited by all sorts of things -- ratings, demographic appeal, time, continuity (by which I mean, a writer couldn't have Lex arrested halfway through season 1 if the rest of the season has him out and unsuspected). We as fanfic writers are *not* limited by these things. We can (and have!) write hundreds of different ways for Lois to realize CK=S, which just isn't possible in the structure of the show. There were many many great things about the show, of course, but also lots of moments that make me cringe laugh It's very satisfying to revisit those moments and make them come out the way *I* wanted them to. That's the thing I love about Persistence of Memory -- Zoom jumps back into *lots* of different moments from the show and gives them a better outcome.

Yes, we should draw from canon, especially in characterization -- but I don't believe we ought to be limited by it. The other day, I was looking over the 40-some stories I've written in the last ten years, and there were very few that didn't change canon in small or large ways. <shrug> That's what's fun about this, for me.

Should we draw on "fan canon"? I think if an author comes up with a new way of looking at things and gives me a new insight, it's fair game to use it in the future. It should be checked back against "real" canon, because the further things divulge the harder they are to justify, but overall I think that enhances the whole body of fanfic, because others will identify things I hadn't thought of.

Will my interpretation work for everyone? Nope, probably not. There are certainly stories out there that I look at and think "who the heck *are* these people?" but there are lots of other readers who see those stories as very compelling and a justifiable extrapolation from canon. Variety, spice of life, etc.

I guess I have a very capitalistic approach to fanfic. Writers write what they want to write. Readers read what they want to read. The challenge is in convincing readers that the changes you're making are plausible under the circumstances. If you write something I dislike or strongly disagree with, you'll lose me as a reader (and I reserve the right to say so and explain why) -- but you might also pick up four other readers somewhere else, so hey, go for it.

Tolerant, that's me wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#235167 05/12/05 02:48 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
even though they're "in cannon" in the fic universe
[language cop]
cannon means a big gun; canon is an established body of work (of a writer, genre, religion, etc.)
[/language cop]

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#235168 05/12/05 05:17 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Cruising around, I found the following definitions:

From The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000

Fanfic: Informal Fiction written by fans as an extension of an admired work or series of works, especially a television show, often posted on the Internet or published in fanzines.
From wikipedia.com:
Fan fiction (also spelled fanfiction and commonly abbreviated to fanfic) is fiction written by people who enjoy a film, novel, television show or other media work, using the characters and situations developed in it and developing new plots in which to use these characters.
From Writers University:

Fan fiction: Original fiction by fans of a show, movie, books or video game. The fiction involves characters and the location of the show from which the person is a fan. Fans write fan fiction for a variety of reasons. One of the most popular reasons is to explore themes and ideas that will not or cannot be explored on the show, movie, book or video game.
From Dictionary.com:

Fan Fiction: Fiction written by fans as an extension of an admired work or series of works, especially a television show, often posted on the Internet or published in fanzines.
Note the common theme in these definitions (yeah, I bolded it)? Fanfic, by definition, is an extension of the original work. Who's to say how far that extension can reach or what sort of extension is acceptable? I certainly wouldn't be so bold.

There is an interesting essay written by Jane Mortimer about fanfic writing. I found the following to be very profound:

Once upon a time, people told stories for love as well as for money (just as they do today). Achilles died before the gates of Troy ten thousand times over, as older brothers told the tale to younger ones, parents to children; and Camelot rose and fell again every sunset. People and stories. It was the same scene in tribal gatherings, in cramped peasants' huts, in the hall of Henry II.

Which is to say, there was no television.

And every time a story was told by a new voice, there was a slightly different spin on it. Ovid's gods and goddesses played the same games they had always played, but this time their dance through the familiar landscape seemed a bit more petty than it had been. Lancelot met Guinivere for the first time, and the meeting was comic, or tragic, or resentful, or admiring; it foreshadowed what was to come, it gave no hint as to what was to come. Merlin was wise; Merlin was foolish. The characters passed through the distinctive voices of thousands of people, each of whom took the tale inside themselves, loved it, and passed it on with new insights, new subtleties...

And once this impulse expressed itself as a tapestry of different shades; the same characters appeared in varying guises all over a continent, part of one giant, beloved work of folk art.

To this day, it still happens. It's just that now we call it fan fiction.
And this:

<Creating an intimacy and knowledge of the characters> is the kind of thing that can be done by a series, at its best. The vast majority of television shows barely exploit their potential in this area. (Which is one reason fan writers hear the siren call: they see what could be done with a character, and oh, it is just so tempting to do it. There is no other explanation for the fact that some truly boring television shows have engendered some of the most thought-provoking fan fiction. One cannot always count on the guy the producer owed a favor to last year, who never watched the show before, to write a script that comes anywhere near acceptability -- let alone art. There are disadvantages to hiring people who write for money and not for love.)
All this to say, there will always be purists in a fandom who are not satisfied with the extensions some writers take. That's fine. Because our fandom is so prolific, there are plenty of stories out there that purists can be satisfied with. The problem comes when purists begin to insist that all others conform to their strict definitions of what is acceptable or not. At which time I start to ask the question of who is qualified to say what is acceptable or not? This poll along with the Lois version demonstrate - to me, anyway - that no one can claim that right. We are all qualified and unqualified equally. wink

Cindy, I *do* know the difference between a Smallville Clark and a CR Movies Clark and an LnC Clark. My point is just because an LnC Clark does something counter to what we'd expect based on the show (as demonstrated in the examples of successful fanfics referenced by Wendy and Sara in their above posts), this does not mean he is a Smallville Clark or a CR Clark. Same thing with premise. Just because a writer chooses to put LnC Clark into a non-LnC situation - especially a darker situation - does not mean that the writer is channeling Smallville. Or the movies. Or Batman, or anything else.

What I find highly ironic is when those who claim no love of Smallville, those who will not watch the show at all, proport that a given depiction of Clark in an LnC fanfic is a "Smallville" Clark. How would that non-Smallville-fan know?

And this:

...(generally unsatifactory or overly simplstic) choices...
Please, feel free to create a poll of your own that corrects this problem. I'm always open to seeing how things can be done better. smile

Hey, Sara, regarding this:

The point I was trying to make about expanding our idea of canon (or "fanfic canon" if you must)...
I found this , so maybe this word works:

Fanon is a fact or ongoing situation in fan fiction stories related to a television program, book, movie, or video game that has been used so much by fan writers or among the fandom that it has been more or less established as having happened in the fictional world, but it has not actually been established as having happened on the show, book or movie itself. Fanon is a portmanteau word of fan and canon.
Laura, ask and you shall receive.
wink
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#235169 05/12/05 08:46 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Coming to this thread very late, but hopefully with something new to contribute...

Thing is, does it matter if fanfic changes over time? Okay, so I want my characters to be in character, but fandoms do change and evolve. That's the reality of the situation. (I left the Due South fandom because the fandom -- and the show, for that matter -- developed in directions that I didn't like.)

One of the things that kept me interested in Star Trek for so long was the fanfic. Why? Because the best sort of Star Trek fanfic went so far beyond the original show. The fan writers painted detailed backgrounds for the characters that were sometimes deeply satisfying.

Ditto Man From UNCLE fanfic writers. The show is fun but would never have held my interest on its own. However, I stumbled across some fanzines that are long, involved and far more realistic in tone than the show could ever have dared to be. Out of character? Who knows? Wonderfully satisfying to read? Definitely.

Also, what are we to make of the weirdness of some of the directions other fandoms take? I'm sure I've come across the argument that authors write fanfiction because it gives them scope to put their favourite characters in scenarios that would not have been acceptable to their creators. Experimentation and the ability to twist canon every which way are seen as some of the reasons for fan fiction's existence. Folcdom is positively restrained in comparison.

It seems to me that LnC fanfic stays truer than most fandoms' fanfic to its original canon. (I suspect, in large part, this is because we were given more facts to work with than was the case with other shows. There aren't so many gaps waiting to be filled in.) That's one of the things I personally like about it. But I can't see any reason why writers shouldn't experiment, push the limits. In fact, I think it's healthy. Some attempts will work and work well. Others will be terrible. I don't think any of us, however, have the right to say that nobody should be allowed to try them out.

Chris (stepping off her soap box)

#235170 05/12/05 10:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me is still just trying to get her head around the fact that the word fanfic has made it into dictionaries! goofy

LabRat (who remembers the first stirrings of fandom way back when. Yes, I am that old!)

The Musketeers
#235171 05/12/05 11:06 AM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I just wanted to say that, while I couldn't get Lynn's link to the Jane Mortimer article to work, you can read the essay on the Wayback Machine here. Fascinating stuff!

Kaylle

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard